Posted to alt.home.repair

Default exercising an emergency generator

On Dec 19, 2:35*pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
Most folks I know who have emergency generators run them once a month
or so.

I just got one [lost power for a week last week] and note that the
manual says once a *week*. *[Briggs and Stratton 5500 watt Storm
Responder]

That seems like a CYA suggestion. * *I run Stabil in my gas and will
probably go for once a month under load. * *What is a good load? * An
electric space heater that draws a constant 1500watts or so? * *Power
tools that draw a surge? * *

I'm also going to build a little shed/doghouse for this thing. * *Has
anyone seem some good ideas for a 4x5 structure that blends into the
landscape? *[I've been thinking of a scaled down chalet- a gingerbread
house- or a fake boulder as possibilities.]

Thanks
Jim

Remember to allow for security...a remote and battery powered alarm
system for starts.

You wouldn't believe how "popular" you become when you are the only
one in the neighborhood with power.

The lights, the noise and the warm/cool house...it draws neighbors and
crooks like a moth to a flame.

TMT