Posted to alt.home.repair

Default anyone know how to find out who reported my house to a neighborhood services department for city of phx?

Spoken like a true RAT. It is control freaks like you that are turning
a free country into a police state.-Jitney

Oh boo friggin' hoo.

Follow the laws and rules, or change them. Your neighbors don't owe you
indulgence.

Banty

Good answer.

Incident that precipitated my response was neighbor burning yard waste
and shop trash during a summer burning ban. Smoke was coming in our
windows. I told him of burning ban and he ignored me. I called state
EPA and they gave him a warning. He continued. Another call to EPA
got him a fine. He stopped his burning.

Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tim Fischer wrote:

You can't. That's part of what makes the system work. If it's a valid
complaint, fix the issue. If it's invalid, then you should be easilly
'cleared' by the city.

No valid need to know. Snub all of your neighbors, if you must...

-Tim

We have a lot of "little ole lady" neighbors.

And they are notorious for calling code compliance for
"problems" at the few rent houses around. They make no
secret that they called.

But the city is quite fair about the whole thing. CC will
then spend a week in the neighborhood writing up everyone
for every violation they can find. Most are 30 or 10 day
cites, if corrected, are dropped as warnings. CC just wants
-everyone- to know they were there ;-)

Two years ago, the city fired half the CC staff for writing
multiple cites for the same violations and cites for places
they never visited. Happened right after mayor insisted
that CC double the citations. I think the punishment was
mis-applied ;-)

She did help eliminate neighborhood communications, everyone
replaced the 4' chainlink fences with 8' wood fences. (So CC
can't see in backyards anymore) Used to spend many hours
talking to neighbors over the backfence. Aahh, don't make
much difference anymore, I can't speak Espanol ;-)

So, don't let the paranoia get to you, they were there to
get your neighbor to start with!

-larry / dallas

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default anyone know how to find out who reported my house to a neighbor...

m Ransley wrote:
I just looked it up who complained, fix up your dump.

ROFLMAO

Besides, what difference does it make who complained?

Whenever I get a complaint, especially when unfounded, I tell my
neighbor that I will try to do better, then I provide all my contact
information so they can call me any time if there's something on their
mind.

Other than the lipservice, I do what I please! Just be polite and tell
them you're doing the best you can.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default anyone know how to find out who reported my house to a neighborhood

In article , larry says...

She did help eliminate neighborhood communications, everyone
replaced the 4' chainlink fences with 8' wood fences. (So CC
can't see in backyards anymore) Used to spend many hours
talking to neighbors over the backfence. Aahh, don't make
much difference anymore, I can't speak Espanol ;-)

Oh this is simply silly. "One little old lady ruins neighborhood
communications". Are you saying that the 8' wood fences (2 feet over code in my
area, BTW) all had to be all the way around, were absolutely necessary, and none
of the neighbors had phones or could walk next door?? (Let alone the option of
cleaning up and keeping the chain links.)

Oh - I see - prejudices got in your way, not any little old lady and fences.
Not much of a recommendataion for your point of view :-/

It seems that what some folks want from neighors is that everyone can do what
they damn please. Maybe it works in certain places where pretty much everyone
is operating the far side of the law anyway. As in, you let me let my dogs run
loose; I look the other way if you burn garbage or build without a permit.

Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair

I had neighbor trouble that may help others

neighbor complained about our barking dogs. come to find out the one
neighbor who was complaing had started a home based investment business
and he didnt want the faint sound of dogs barking or even basketballs
bouncing he had complained about that too. A police officer told us he
was now assigned to the case, and suggested we get rid of the dogs. my
wife cant have kids, she got so upset.

Right before that I had a issue about where the town put a stop sign in
my yard, and attended a meeting complaining of the procedure they used
even after they agreed to move it.

I had reputation as trouble maker

So I went and saw town manager Hi give me all rules on halfway houses
and welfare relocatees Dont want to break any rules!!

He asked why I would do such a thing..... police officer wasnt
following procedure. he got his head kicked in. I reported the
complainer is he paying his mercantile tax on hios business I PAY
MINE!

After nice chat with chief of police I NEVER got another dog barking
complaint!

Neighbor sold his home and moved to a more high class place......... I
got his new address and told his friends I wanted to move next door to
him tell him that......

if you complain be sure its worth the hassle you may create for
yourself. DO NOTHING WRONG FOR A LONG TIME! have a permit for replacing
that downspout line?

if its a visible problem get a cam corder and record the problem so
theres no question of how bad the problem was.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com,
says...

I had neighbor trouble that may help others

neighbor complained about our barking dogs. come to find out the one
neighbor who was complaing had started a home based investment business
and he didnt want the faint sound of dogs barking or even basketballs
bouncing he had complained about that too. A police officer told us he
was now assigned to the case, and suggested we get rid of the dogs. my
wife cant have kids, she got so upset.

Dealing with the barking not an option that occurred to you?

[...]

See this is the attitude I'm talking about. "Everyone breaks the law, so you
look the other way else I'll turn *you* in". Believe it or not, people *do* get
permits for that downspout line.

OR - think on this - they know how to live so as not to bother their neighbors,
and know how to get along, *without* depending on all their neighbors staying
mum and putting up with crap. Breaking rules or not - it strikes that your
neighbor's indiscretions were not bothering you, but yours were bothering him.

But the main npoint is that keeping your dogs happy and well-trained would have
saved - so much hassle.

You don't sound like such a smart guy to me.

Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair

Banty wrote in message ...

But the main npoint is that keeping your dogs happy and well-trained

would have
saved - so much hassle.

You don't sound like such a smart guy to me.

Banty

I've always had dogs, and never once would I have allowed my barking dog
to bother my neighbors. That is just plain inconsideration and rudeness
IMO. What really irritates me is some of these neighbors push you with
bad behavior, like constantly barking dogs, and then try to paint you as
the bad guy for complaining.

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

Banty wrote:
In article , larry says...

[...]

no, the little ole ladys are great! It was our mayor
pushing CC to cite everything that caused our neighborhood
to become a fenced gated zero lot line area. (make that most
of the city)

prejudices - where did you read that? I like my new
neighbors, do stuff for each other all the time. Just
difficult using handsignals, but next door family is
becoming very conversant in English and help with talking to
the other next door neighbor. Ironically, the 25% Hispanics
that settled in my neighborhood around 1920s don't think
much of the new arrivals. go figur. btw, if they spoke
German, we wouldn't have this barrier ;-)

obviously, your country is different.

-larry / dallas
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , larry says...

Banty wrote:
In article , larry says...

[...]

Well, if you're from Dallas, I was born and bred in your country ;-) (though
not your town) and sorry if I mistook your reference to language as the reason
you gave to give up on your neighbors.

But now I'm wondering what your point was. Wasn't that there was an "old lady"
who was calling people in a lot, getting everyone so uptight they fence off
their yards and it hurt neighborhood feelings? Now it's the town you're
blaming?

Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MRS. CLEAN" wrote in message
ps.com...

m Ransley wrote:
I just looked it up who complained, fix up your dump.

ROFLMAO

Besides, what difference does it make who complained?

Whenever I get a complaint, especially when unfounded, I tell my
neighbor that I will try to do better, then I provide all my contact
information so they can call me any time if there's something on their
mind.

Other than the lipservice, I do what I please! Just be polite and tell
them you're doing the best you can.

And their next step is to contact the authorities. Whereas, if you actually
tried to solve the problem, it would never get to that.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Cheri" gserviceatinreachdotcom wrote in message
. ..

Banty wrote in message ...

But the main npoint is that keeping your dogs happy and well-trained

would have
saved - so much hassle.

You don't sound like such a smart guy to me.

Banty

I've always had dogs, and never once would I have allowed my barking dog
to bother my neighbors. That is just plain inconsideration and rudeness
IMO. What really irritates me is some of these neighbors push you with
bad behavior, like constantly barking dogs, and then try to paint you as
the bad guy for complaining.

My neighbor with the barking dogs finally moved out. The whole
neighborhood is happy. She had a file at animal control you
wouldn't believe. She finally started to make a little effort to
control her dogs after they killed several cats and animal
control was getting a little more serious.
I had to put up with being awakened almost daily by her
dogs for years. Her response when I asked her to train them
not to bark - "dogs bark".

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Banty wrote:
In article . com,
says...

[...]

theres no stopping dogs from barking when they see someone espically
with a dog walking up the street....... dogs were indoors at the time.

the neighbor also filed complaints because kids walked up the street
bouncing a basketball.

I have been here since 1972, new neighbor tried to make it yuppieville.

the neighbor wh complained was 3 doors away the immediate neighbors
tended to come to the fence and visit with our dog........said barking
wasnt a problem

since the idiot mnoved out nearly every house has at least one dog,
they call to one another....

neighborhood has gone to the dogs, ours are small and realtively quiet.

unlike some neighbors we spent about 6 grand making the yard secure
with a 6 foot fence. dogs running loose are a hazard to themselves and
others

Posted to alt.home.repair

. ..

Banty wrote in message ...

[...]

Animal control departments are a complete waste of money. They do nothing.
And people wonder why dogs turn up dead sometimes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message news_U_g.3700
My neighbor with the barking dogs finally moved out. The whole
neighborhood is happy. She had a file at animal control you
wouldn't believe. She finally started to make a little effort to
control her dogs after they killed several cats and animal
control was getting a little more serious.
I had to put up with being awakened almost daily by her
dogs for years. Her response when I asked her to train them
not to bark - "dogs bark".

Bob

Animal control departments are a complete waste of money. They do nothing.
And people wonder why dogs turn up dead sometimes.

They gave her several tickets, but she sweet talked the judges out of them.
I was never given the oportunity to tell the real story. Apparently she has
the choice of whether the complaintent is invited to testify under the Wash.
state legal system. I asked to be there. Animal control told me they could
do nothing to help. It's not their fault.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

In some towns (like mine), it's mandatory that the dog be removed upon the
3rd complaint, the the fine is a hundred something bucks - I don't recall
exactly. But, the same thing happens: Animal control doesn't obey the law,
and judges are weak. I recently found out why, although this is old news to
people who've been trying to change the system for many years: The majority
of town justices in New York State have no legal training. They were never
lawyers. It sounds insane, but it's true. So, they're free to bend the law
according to their own prejudices.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MRS. CLEAN" wrote in message
oups.com...
The secret is being both polite and cooperative.

I get along very well with all my neighbors doing this.

Mrs. Clean

What do you do when your neighbor tells you to go **** yourself? Seriously.

Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"MRS. CLEAN" wrote in message
oups.com...
The secret is being both polite and cooperative.

I get along very well with all my neighbors doing this.

Mrs. Clean

What do you do when your neighbor tells you to go **** yourself? Seriously.

Has your neighbor done that to you?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MRS. CLEAN" wrote in message
ups.com...

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"MRS. CLEAN" wrote in message
oups.com...
The secret is being both polite and cooperative.

I get along very well with all my neighbors doing this.

Mrs. Clean

What do you do when your neighbor tells you to go **** yourself?
Seriously.

Has your neighbor done that to you?

Yes! A naughty dog owner who later got spanked. I was polite. It didn't
matter. Now, I do things differently with that category of people.

Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"MRS. CLEAN" wrote in message
ups.com...

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"MRS. CLEAN" wrote in message
oups.com...
The secret is being both polite and cooperative.

I get along very well with all my neighbors doing this.

Mrs. Clean

What do you do when your neighbor tells you to go **** yourself?
Seriously.

Has your neighbor done that to you?

Yes! A naughty dog owner who later got spanked. I was polite. It didn't
matter. Now, I do things differently with that category of people.

I got a noise complaint about my dogs. It was unfounded. I interviewed
11 houses surrounding me, taking statements, then providing my contact
information if there's any dog noises from MY yard. I made sure all
three dogs were licensed and well behaved.

The senile old complainants called code enforcement, I received the
proverbial three warnings about a dog that wasn't mine over the course
of 12 months. And, the final warning said, "We have advised your
neighbor that he can sue you if he's still displeased." At that point,
I let all my neighbors know that I'd leave him penniless if he took
such unfounded action against my dogs.

I was, and remain, very careful to keep the dogs inside when I was gone
and to watch constantly because my fear was poison over the fence.
Things settled down when my neighbor's daughter moved out of her
mother's house and took Sierra with her. At no time did Sierra's
barking ever bother me. I considered it a warning to would be
criminals, and felt safe when she was barking. Occasionally, Sierra
visits and the barking starts all over again. I am sure to reward her
with a pig ear. The only thing worse would be no Sierra. She has a rod
iron gate which allows her to see and bark at everything on the street.

Dogs are a deterrent. My neighbors should be pleased that I am willing
to go through the trouble of having, caring, and feeding the animals
that keep THEIR homes safe.

Posted to alt.home.repair

MRS. CLEAN wrote:

I was, and remain, very careful to keep the dogs inside when I was gone
and to watch constantly because my fear was poison over the fence.
Things settled down when my neighbor's daughter moved out of her
mother's house and took Sierra with her. At no time did Sierra's
barking ever bother me. I considered it a warning to would be
criminals, and felt safe when she was barking. Occasionally, Sierra
visits and the barking starts all over again. I am sure to reward her
with a pig ear. The only thing worse would be no Sierra. She has a rod
iron gate which allows her to see and bark at everything on the street.

Dogs are a deterrent. My neighbors should be pleased that I am willing
to go through the trouble of having, caring, and feeding the animals
that keep THEIR homes safe.

I read your post two different ways. You say that you are careful about
controlling the dogs and then you mention that the dog barks at
everything on the street.

Dogs are a deterrent but within reason. I don't want to be in "alert
mode" for hours on end each day as a dog barks at every car, squirrel
and falling leaf.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , JoeSpareBedroom says...

"MRS. CLEAN" wrote in message
roups.com...
The secret is being both polite and cooperative.

I get along very well with all my neighbors doing this.

Mrs. Clean

What do you do when your neighbor tells you to go **** yourself? Seriously.

IME some neighbors are one way; some are the other, and some are kinda
squirelly-in-between.

Now I have no problems between me and *any* of my neighbors. I do have an
immediate neighbor who are pretty sloppy with their dogs, motorized things of
all sorts (quads, etc.), and general clutter. But we've been able to work out
things because I'm willing to overlook certain things (choosing my battles) and
we're both willing to help each other out and hear each other out. The neighbor
I *used to* have on the other side - - well, their kids were golden, their dog
was golden (even though it was black), and to them every conversation was about
showing the World that Nobody's Gonna Push them around. They moved away

I think that the first tack to take is to talk to neighbors and work things out.
But it can be apparent pretty quick which ones aren't amenable to any of that,
and they have to be dealt with via laws and ordinances. Beleive me, there's no
magic wand of niceness that will turn that sort into a different sort. So they
only have themselves to blame if the knock on the door is from the town or
animal control officer rather than a friendly but concerned neighbor.

Cheers,
Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MRS. CLEAN" wrote in message
oups.com...

Dogs are a deterrent. My neighbors should be pleased that I am willing
to go through the trouble of having, caring, and feeding the animals
that keep THEIR homes safe.

They should be pleased? Don't try that reasoning, if there ever *is* a
legitimate complaint against your dogs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

MRS. CLEAN wrote:
m Ransley wrote:
I just looked it up who complained, fix up your dump.

ROFLMAO

Besides, what difference does it make who complained?

Because it could be the
neighborhood-nanny-stick-my-nose-in-everybody's-business serial
complainer who complained.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , George says...

MRS. CLEAN wrote:

[...]

Yup. I think it's an example of unclear thinking.

Two contentions:

1. I keep my dogs inside their barking doesn' bother any neighbors.
2. My dog barks at all intruders, even those near neighboring houses, thus they
are a deterrent.

Huh?

Y'know, when I see this kind of thinking, I see a person trying to rationalize.

Dogs are a deterrent but within reason. I don't want to be in "alert
mode" for hours on end each day as a dog barks at every car, squirrel
and falling leaf.

Right. And it should be a person's choice as to how they provide for that
security. Alarm systems are designed to be a lot more precise than a dog that
barks at whoever!

Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Banty" wrote in message
In article , George says...

MRS. CLEAN wrote:

[...]

3) My dog barks at absolutely anything, and then I turn on my badly aimed
floodlights, thereby blinding perfectly innocent people who are walking at
night, trying to enjoy the stars.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The neighbor who has the rod iron fence and the dog named Sierra that
barks often.

I still don't mind.

Dogs bark. That's a fact. And, they are legal to have. Again, within
reason.

I would never allow my dogs to stare out at the street through rod iron
to bark incessantly. I'd give them a pig ear. That quiets them down for
hours!

George wrote:
MRS. CLEAN wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

The dogs are inside when I'm gone so if there's noise, it's not from my
dogs.

Second, they are out when I'm home. Yes, they do bark occasionally at
noises. But I know when and how much. I always go out when they do bark
to check and see what's going on, too.

It's very simple.

Banty wrote:
In article , George says...

MRS. CLEAN wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

In case you're unaware, dogs are allowed to bark from about 7 am to 10
pm.

If a dog barks incessantly, code people will come to see if the animal
is being abused, neglected, hungry or thirsty. If not, you're into
civil court.

I don't like a dog alone. I like them in twos so they have company.
Most dogs alone are plain lonely. It's sad.

Yes, I keep the entire neighborhood safe.

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"MRS. CLEAN" wrote in message
oups.com...

Dogs are a deterrent. My neighbors should be pleased that I am willing
to go through the trouble of having, caring, and feeding the animals
that keep THEIR homes safe.

They should be pleased? Don't try that reasoning, if there ever *is* a
legitimate complaint against your dogs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Banty wrote:
In article , JoeSpareBedroom says...

"MRS. CLEAN" wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

I never complain to any of my neighbors about anything.

I want to know for sure if my house was on fire they'd call 911.

I focus on the big things.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Larry Bud wrote:
MRS. CLEAN wrote:
m Ransley wrote:
I just looked it up who complained, fix up your dump.

ROFLMAO

Besides, what difference does it make who complained?

Because it could be the
neighborhood-nanny-stick-my-nose-in-everybody's-business serial
complainer who complained.

So? What can you do about it?

Speak peaceable with code enforcement when they knock at your door.

You'll find they can sniff out the chronic complainer from a real
problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:
"MRS. CLEAN" wrote in message
ps.com...

m Ransley wrote:
I just looked it up who complained, fix up your dump.

ROFLMAO

Besides, what difference does it make who complained?

Whenever I get a complaint, especially when unfounded, I tell my
neighbor that I will try to do better, then I provide all my contact
information so they can call me any time if there's something on their
mind.

Other than the lipservice, I do what I please! Just be polite and tell
them you're doing the best you can.

And their next step is to contact the authorities. Whereas, if you actually
tried to solve the problem, it would never get to that.
Bob

You dont' think there are unreasonable people who cannot be pleased no
matter how hard you try?

You must not be married.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:

Spoken like a true RAT. It is control freaks like you that are turning
a free country into a police state.-Jitney

Oh boo friggin' hoo.

Follow the laws and rules, or change them. Your neighbors don't owe you
indulgence.

Banty

Good answer.

Incident that precipitated my response was neighbor burning yard waste
and shop trash during a summer burning ban. Smoke was coming in our
windows. I told him of burning ban and he ignored me. I called state
EPA and they gave him a warning. He continued. Another call to EPA
got him a fine. He stopped his burning.

Frank

Stupid neighbor! But, I'd still not complain. Humans are retaliatory
by nature.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MRS. CLEAN" wrote in message
ups.com...

Bob F wrote:
"MRS. CLEAN" wrote in message
ps.com...

m Ransley wrote:
I just looked it up who complained, fix up your dump.

ROFLMAO

Besides, what difference does it make who complained?

Whenever I get a complaint, especially when unfounded, I tell my
neighbor that I will try to do better, then I provide all my contact
information so they can call me any time if there's something on their
mind.

Other than the lipservice, I do what I please! Just be polite and tell
them you're doing the best you can.

And their next step is to contact the authorities. Whereas, if you
actually
tried to solve the problem, it would never get to that.
Bob

You dont' think there are unreasonable people who cannot be pleased no
matter how hard you try?

You must not be married.

Most people will be happy if given a pig's ear.

Contacting contractor to buy our house? (Long) Cina Home Repair 8 March 4th 04 05:40 AM
Adding one more floor to the house? Possible???? AJScott Home Repair 10 February 27th 04 04:34 PM
Old Man Winter Will Hit Us Tonight! Maryjoe Home Repair 29 February 2nd 04 06:26 AM
My house is the only one in the neighborhood with icicles - why? trader-of-some-jacks Home Repair 24 January 31st 04 02:02 PM
Zienth Vertical Squish (How do I find and test the Capacitor?) Kevin Cornwell Electronics Repair 8 September 15th 03 02:17 PM