Kevin Cornwell

Default Zienth Vertical Squish (How do I find and test the Capacitor?)

I have read Sam's FAQ and found that the problem is the vertical capacitor.
Is the cap on the circuit board on the "delicate" end of the picture tube?
I see one blue cap and I tested it with my fluke and it reads 6.4 (cold) and
the value printed on the cap is 4.7. BTW, the TV picture is not as squished
once the TV is warm. Is this the right cap to test? I tested the
capacitance by finding the solder points on the opposite side of the board
and placed my leads there. Is this the right way to test it? Or do I have
to remove it from the board for isolation reasons?

Thanks in advance!
Kevin

Model Number: SJ2775BG
Serial Number: 191-43290769

PS- If this in fact the problem, where would you guys recommed I get a
replacement cap?

Kevin Cornwell

Ok... Pulled out a Nichicon 4.7uf 315v 105 C capacitor (H9112) and it
tested bad. Any recommendations on where to find a replacement? How
critical is the voltage for match up purposes? I cannot find this
particular unit. In fact the closest I could find was a 4.7uf 400v. Help
please...
Kevin

Kevin Cornwell

Thanks Sam. I appreciate the informative response. (great web site too!)
Kevin

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message
"Kevin Cornwell" writes:

Ok... Pulled out a Nichicon 4.7uf 315v 105 C capacitor (H9112) and it
tested bad. Any recommendations on where to find a replacement? How
critical is the voltage for match up purposes? I cannot find this
particular unit. In fact the closest I could find was a 4.7uf 400v.

Help
please...

P.S. I do assume it's a normal polarized electrolytic. If by chance
it's a non-polarized cap, then a non-polarized replacement must be used.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Home Page: http://www.repairfaq.org/
| Mirror Site Info: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

Important: The email address in this message header may no longer work.

contact me, please use the Feedback Form at repairfaq.org. Thanks.

Sam Goldwasser

"Kevin Cornwell" writes:

Ok... Pulled out a Nichicon 4.7uf 315v 105 C capacitor (H9112) and it
tested bad. Any recommendations on where to find a replacement? How
critical is the voltage for match up purposes? I cannot find this
particular unit. In fact the closest I could find was a 4.7uf 400v. Help
please...

That would be fine. The 105 degree C would be desirable though.

In general, an electrolytic cap can be replaced with one that is modestly
higher without any problems as long as it fits. I wouldn't go 10 times
higher but up to at least 2X is OK.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Home Page: http://www.repairfaq.org/
| Mirror Site Info: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

Important: The email address in this message header may no longer work. To
contact me, please use the Feedback Form at repairfaq.org. Thanks.

Sam Goldwasser

"Kevin Cornwell" writes:

Ok... Pulled out a Nichicon 4.7uf 315v 105 C capacitor (H9112) and it
tested bad. Any recommendations on where to find a replacement? How
critical is the voltage for match up purposes? I cannot find this
particular unit. In fact the closest I could find was a 4.7uf 400v. Help
please...

P.S. I do assume it's a normal polarized electrolytic. If by chance
it's a non-polarized cap, then a non-polarized replacement must be used.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Home Page: http://www.repairfaq.org/
| Mirror Site Info: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

Important: The email address in this message header may no longer work. To
contact me, please use the Feedback Form at repairfaq.org. Thanks.

Kevin Cornwell

The cap I tested was ok afterall. Just a bit higher microfarad than what is
printed (4.7 vs 5.8). I would like to test the cap(s) on the vertical
output IC however I don't know exactly which IC I should be looking for. Is
this part of the main board or is it one of the smaller ones? Is there some
landmark that gives it away? Is there a website that has components
visually marked out?
Thanks again...

"Kevin Cornwell" writes:

Ok... Pulled out a Nichicon 4.7uf 315v 105 C capacitor (H9112) and it
tested bad. Any recommendations on where to find a replacement? How
critical is the voltage for match up purposes? I cannot find this
particular unit. In fact the closest I could find was a 4.7uf 400v.

Help
please...

P.S. I do assume it's a normal polarized electrolytic. If by chance
it's a non-polarized cap, then a non-polarized replacement must be used.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Home Page: http://www.repairfaq.org/
| Mirror Site Info: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

Important: The email address in this message header may no longer work.

contact me, please use the Feedback Form at repairfaq.org. Thanks.

Kevin Cornwell

"Kevin Cornwell" wrote in message news:koN2b.11308$j26.3577@lakeread02...
The cap I tested was ok afterall. Just a bit higher microfarad than what

is
printed (4.7 vs 5.8). I would like to test the cap(s) on the vertical
output IC however I don't know exactly which IC I should be looking for.

Is
this part of the main board or is it one of the smaller ones? Is there

some
landmark that gives it away? Is there a website that has components
visually marked out?
Thanks again...

The following is 2 conversations with Donal Percival and myself. With
Donalds help I was able to fix my vertical squish problem. If anyone
needs the service schematics for a Zenith Model Number: SJ2775BG, send
me a note.

Radio Shack does not carry it so I ordered it from partsexpress.com so It
may be a few days till I get back to you on how it works out. -kc