Posted to alt.home.repair

Default I love the way Home Depot sucks!

I needed some wood screen doors for my cabin. After shopping around, and
finding all sorts of things from $160 to $600 per, I was overwhelmed.

One day I'm in Home Depot. I had gotten the price of $160 each there, and
wifey says, "Put the damn things up."

So...............

We get ahold of the door guy. Takes him about 15 minutes to appear. We ask
about wood screen doors, and HOLY SMOKE, BATMAN! here's a guy that knows
something about doors. Takes us straight to them.

He takes us to two 1 1/8" ash frame doors with extruded aluminum inserts
with screen. He says they are $89 each, but one is damaged, and not for
sale. I said to check with the manager and I'd take it if he made me a
deal. The screen had pulled out on one corner. A two minute no cost repair

He disappears and comes back. He says we can have it for $50, a $39
discount. Hey, we're still under the price we got before for ONE, so we say
okay. He puts them on a cart for us and scribbles something on a paper and
says to give it to the cashier.

We do so. She rings up two doors at $39 each. My wife and I make eye
contact, but don't say a word. We pay the girl, and then run like hell.

$320 worth of doors for $78 plus tax.

Home Depot does suck, but sometimes their stupidity and ineptness works
towards my side of the fence.

Man, those doors look good on my cabin. And the price was right, too.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message

We do so. She rings up two doors at $39 each. My wife and I make eye
contact, but don't say a word. We pay the girl, and then run like hell.

$320 worth of doors for $78 plus tax.

Your honesty was tested. And you flunked.

lee

Posted to alt.home.repair

"lee houston" wrote in message
t...

"Steve B" wrote in message

We do so. She rings up two doors at $39 each. My wife and I make eye
contact, but don't say a word. We pay the girl, and then run like hell.

$320 worth of doors for $78 plus tax.

Your honesty was tested. And you flunked.

lee

Yeah. I remember all those times when, if I hadn't pointed it out to the
cashier that they would have OVER charged me on many items. Funny why that
isn't a two way street.

As to your sermon on honesty:

paraphrasing ...........

watch out for a man who says he's honest. he'll probably lie about other
things as well.

mark twain or will rogers or someone. not me. HONEST!

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message
[...]

I bought about $15 dollars worth of little stuff. Handed the checker a $20
got $85 in change I flunked the Honesty thing to. Oh well make up for a
small amount of frustration dealing with them, they still owe me. By the
way when I ordered widows for my house the Guy new what he was talking but
it all went to **** from him to the front desk to the manufacturer

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 23:21:44 GMT, "lee houston"
wrote:

"Steve B" wrote in message

We do so. She rings up two doors at $39 each. My wife and I make eye
contact, but don't say a word. We pay the girl, and then run like hell.

$320 worth of doors for $78 plus tax.

Your honesty was tested. And you flunked.

lee

We don't know what the "door guy" wrote on the ticket. Perhaps he saw
damage to the second door and amended the ticket price without the
OP's knowledge.
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Steve B" wrote in message

We do so. She rings up two doors at $39 each. My wife and I
make eye contact, but don't say a word. We pay the girl, and
then run like hell.

$320 worth of doors for $78 plus tax.

Your honesty was tested. And you flunked.

lee

We don't know what the "door guy" wrote on the ticket. Perhaps he saw
damage to the second door and amended the ticket price without the
OP's knowledge.

Doesn't matter. The "test" was flunked when he thought he was undercharged and
didn't say anything. The fact that he might have been incorrect doesn't enter
into it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Oren wrote:

We don't know what the "door guy" wrote on the ticket. ...

We do, otoh, know what OP _thought_ was on the ticket.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 00:23:57 GMT, "Rick Brandt"
wrote:

We don't know what the "door guy" wrote on the ticket. Perhaps he saw
damage to the second door and amended the ticket price without the
OP's knowledge.

Doesn't matter. The "test" was flunked when he thought he was undercharged and
didn't say anything. The fact that he might have been incorrect doesn't enter
into it.

When they ran like hell is enough indicator the OP "felt" like he got
away. Had he questioned the ticket and the cashier he may have seen a
reduced price or paid the correct price.
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message

Your honesty was tested. And you flunked.

Yeah. I remember all those times when, if I hadn't pointed it out to the
cashier that they would have OVER charged me on many items. Funny why
that isn't a two way street.

Look dude if you wanna take advantage of a store's stupidity, go ahead. But
don't pretend it's a 2 way street. You DID point it out and you DIDN'T get
overcharged.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 26 Sep 2006 17:26:07 -0700, "dpb" wrote:

Oren wrote:

We don't know what the "door guy" wrote on the ticket. ...

We do, otoh, know what OP _thought_ was on the ticket.

Just tell me how we know. Add a comment on his thought other than
getting away with something.
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message
[...]

if HD cannot hire someone that (see previous post also"Home Depot Sucks")
can't understand a purchase slip(or has not been trained properly)
or can take the time to call for a clarification if its not clear, I say way
to go Steve-o

Posted to alt.home.repair

John H. wrote:

if HD cannot hire someone that (see previous post also"Home Depot
Sucks") can't understand a purchase slip(or has not been trained
properly) or can take the time to call for a clarification if its not
clear, I
say way to go Steve-o

The way HD works on discounts is that department leaders (and maybe
individual clerks) have an allowance they can use for customer goodwill.

Here we have an employee who the OP praised as knowledgeable and helpful.
Because of a mistake by the check-out clerk, not corrected by the OP, this
helpful employee may have exceeded his quota and have some sort of black
mark on his record.

Over and above out-and-out theft, it's a shameful abuse of honor. Pitiful,
really.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote

We do so. She rings up two doors at $39 each. My wife and I make eye
contact, but don't say a word. We pay the girl, and then run like hell.

Gosh Steve, I'll bet you and your wife are real proud.

Running out of a box store after knowingly cheating them. Can you trust
each other, or are you constantly on your toes wondering if the other one
is cheating?

You two deserve each other.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"John H." wrote in message

if HD cannot hire someone that (see previous post also"Home Depot
Sucks") can't understand a purchase slip(or has not been trained properly)
or can take the time to call for a clarification if its not clear, I say
way to go Steve-o

And the rest of us pay in the long run. "Getting away with it" does not
make it right.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 16:49:58 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"lee houston" wrote in message
et...

"Steve B" wrote in message

We do so. She rings up two doors at $39 each. My wife and I make eye
contact, but don't say a word. We pay the girl, and then run like hell.

$320 worth of doors for $78 plus tax.

Your honesty was tested. And you flunked.

Absolutely.

lee

Yeah. I remember all those times when, if I hadn't pointed it out to the
cashier that they would have OVER charged me on many items. Funny why that
isn't a two way street.

Dishonest and stupid too if you can't see the difference.

As to your sermon on honesty:

paraphrasing ...........

watch out for a man who says he's honest. he'll probably lie about other
things as well.

And someone who says he's dishonest, like you diD, I'm certain lies
and cheats other times too. The reason you're telling the truth is
you know that no one from here is going to go after you here.

mark twain or will rogers or someone. not me. HONEST!

If you were honest you would have told the cashier what you and the
clerk had agreed upon for the price.

You already said you told them when they were going to overcharge you.
They didn't owe you any money.

BTW, neither Lee nor I said we were honest. We said you were
dishonest. Your attempt to attack those who point out the truth
failed because you don't read carefully or you're stupid.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Johnny V." wrote in message

"Steve B" wrote

We do so. She rings up two doors at $39 each. My wife and I make eye
contact, but don't say a word. We pay the girl, and then run like hell.

Gosh Steve, I'll bet you and your wife are real proud.

Running out of a box store after knowingly cheating them. Can you trust
each other, or are you constantly on your toes wondering if the other one
is cheating?

You two deserve each other.

**** you asshole.

I didn't go in there to steal anything.

We didn't cheat anyone.

We did what the people said to do.

We let them do their own math.

We paid what they asked.

And the rest of you sanctimonious pious assholes that act like you're honest
and haven't done anything shady in your lives and still pontificate on the
actions of others can kiss my sorry dishonest ass, too. Too bad you don't
have the honesty to share your stories. Like you wouldn't or haven't done
the same thing. Yeah, right.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Oren wrote:

We don't know what the "door guy" wrote on the ticket. ...

We do, otoh, know what OP _thought_ was on the ticket.

Just tell me how we know. Add a comment on his thought other than
getting away with something.

Don't have to add a comment, can use his own words...

''... they are $89 each, but ... I'd take it if he made me a deal.
....He says we can have it for $50, a $39 discount. ... She rings up
two doors at $39 each. My wife and I make eye contact, but don't say a
word. "

Very clearly he (and the wife, too, for that matter) thought they were
buying one door at $89 and another at $50. Whether the slip was
miswritten rather than misinterpreted isn't the point I was making, it
was clear to him that what was rung up wasn't what was intended and
he/they chose to take advantage of the mistake, whoever actually made
it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 20:52:34 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

John H. wrote:

if HD cannot hire someone that (see previous post also"Home Depot
Sucks") can't understand a purchase slip(or has not been trained
properly) or can take the time to call for a clarification if its not
clear, I
say way to go Steve-o

What I think you're saying is that if someone makes a mistake, it's ok
to steal from him.

The way HD works on discounts is that department leaders (and maybe
individual clerks) have an allowance they can use for customer goodwill.

Here we have an employee who the OP praised as knowledgeable and helpful.
Because of a mistake by the check-out clerk, not corrected by the OP, this
helpful employee may have exceeded his quota and have some sort of black
mark on his record.

Over and above out-and-out theft, it's a shameful abuse of honor. Pitiful,
really.

Absolutely.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote in message ...
And the rest of you sanctimonious pious assholes that act like you're

honest
and haven't done anything shady in your lives and still pontificate on

the
actions of others can kiss my sorry dishonest ass, too. Too bad you

don't
have the honesty to share your stories. Like you wouldn't or haven't

done
the same thing. Yeah, right.

Steve

You're sounding a lot like a politician. If you didn't expect comment,
and you had to know it was coming, you shouldn't have posted it. :-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 19:52:29 -0400, Charlie Morgan wrote:

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 16:49:58 -0700, "Steve B" wrote:

"lee houston" wrote in message
. net...

"Steve B" wrote in message

We do so. She rings up two doors at $39 each. My wife and I make eye
contact, but don't say a word. We pay the girl, and then run like hell.

$320 worth of doors for $78 plus tax.

Your honesty was tested. And you flunked.

lee

Yeah. I remember all those times when, if I hadn't pointed it out to the
cashier that they would have OVER charged me on many items. Funny why that
isn't a two way street.

You are either honest or you aren't. It doesn't matter what anybody else does.

CWM

And he's already told us which he is.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 19:21:02 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Johnny V." wrote in message

"Steve B" wrote

We do so. She rings up two doors at $39 each. My wife and I make eye
contact, but don't say a word. We pay the girl, and then run like hell.

Gosh Steve, I'll bet you and your wife are real proud.

Running out of a box store after knowingly cheating them. Can you trust
each other, or are you constantly on your toes wondering if the other one
is cheating?

You two deserve each other.

**** you asshole.

I didn't go in there to steal anything.

That's why no one said you committed "premeditated stealing".

We didn't cheat anyone.

We did what the people said to do.

But you knew that most likely the cashier had made a mistake. If
someone misspoke and told you burn down his house, or to push him into
traffic, or in front of a train, would you do it?

We let them do their own math.

But you knew that most likely the cashier had made a mistake.

We paid what they asked.

But you knew that most likely the cashier had made a mistake.

And the rest of you sanctimonious pious assholes that act like you're honest
and haven't done anything shady in your lives

No one said anything about his own level of honesty**. You're
offering a red herring to change the topic.

**(except one person who said he did something similar and agreed that
he flunked the test)

and still pontificate on the
actions of others can kiss my sorry dishonest ass, too. Too bad you don't
have the honesty to share your stories. Like you wouldn't or haven't done
the same thing. Yeah, right.

I suspect that many of those who criticized you let such things happen
when they were much younger, or maybe just younger, but they've
realized it is wrong and they wouldn't do it again. Parents usually
teach their children not to steal, but unless a situation like this
comes up when both the parent and child are present, the child doesn't
have to watch the parent make up his mind what to do, and the parent
can easily forget to talk some other time about every one of the
situations that don't fit the prototypes, like shoplifting, purse
snatching, burglary, etc.

So if the child didn't see a parent deal with this situation, and if
the parents and the religious teachers didn't talk about it, and if no
public school teacher or friend set a good example, or even a stranger
that one might be standing next to while he paid a cashier, it's
possible for someone not to know.

But now you know what everyone here except one person thinks about
this. Maybe if you have time to think about it some more, a few days
or weeks or months, you agree with the rest of us.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"lee houston" wrote in message
.net...

"Steve B" wrote in message

We do so. She rings up two doors at $39 each. My wife and I make eye
contact, but don't say a word. We pay the girl, and then run like
hell.

$320 worth of doors for $78 plus tax.

Your honesty was tested. And you flunked.

lee

Yeah. I remember all those times when, if I hadn't pointed it out to the
cashier that they would have OVER charged me on many items. Funny why
that
isn't a two way street.

You are either honest or you aren't. It doesn't matter what anybody else
does.

CWM

And he's already told us which he is.

And never made the claim to be anything other than what I am. Unlike people
here who have never cheated or taken a discount for a mistake.

There was one man like that, but he died a very long time ago.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B writes:

My wife and I make eye
contact, but don't say a word. We pay the girl, and then run like hell.

So for all of $39 you became a thief?
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 21:58:26 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

You are either honest or you aren't. It doesn't matter what anybody else
does.

CWM

And he's already told us which he is.

And never made the claim to be anything other than what I am. Unlike people
here who have never cheated or taken a discount for a mistake.

You have to get over the idea that it matters how honest the people
criticizing you are. This is about you and how others act doesn't
matter.

Are you claiming that no one who has ever done the same thing can
criticize someone else for doing somethings wrong, whether it is
illegal, immoral, unsafe, unhealthy, or unkind?

Because it's not true. Sometimes they are in the best position to
know what is wrong.

In a few cases, there is no one else present to say what is wrong
except people who have done it. Are you saying they shouldn't say
anything? Someone has to speak up.

It's also nonsense when people say that if the parents when teenagers
or 20's used drugs, committed vandalism, etc. they can't tell their
children not to do those same things. Of course they can, if they now
think that their kids shouldn't do drugs or commit vandalism. Do
people who were vandals have to raise children who think there is
nothing wrong with vandalism? Of course not. If that were the case,
the world would get worse and worse and never and nowhere would it get
better.

Back to the original topic, if people have gotten money the way you
describe or outright stolen, if they've done it and don't tell people,
that probably means they are ashamed, and if they haven't stopped
already, being ashamed is the first step towards stopping.

What makes your case worth criticism is that you are talking about it.
You weren't ashamed at all. And talking about it is worse than the
original act. When you take 61 dollars that wasn't meant for you,
it's a straight 61 dollars. But when you talk about it in public, you
encourage who knows how many people to do the same sort of thing. So
the transgression multiplies by a factor of 4 or 10 or 100. And if
they see you talking, they may talk about it themselves after they do
it, or even if they don't do it and only you announced that you did.
So that spreads the encouragement to everyone those 4 or 10 or 100
talk to.

If one is going to do things like this, he should be ashamed of it and
not tell anyone, because hearing that someone else did some thing like
this makes other people jealous, of the money, and they'll want to do
the same thing. It mitigates the instruction their parents or their
religious teachers may have given them not to do such things.

So get off your high horse, that you imagine you are one, complaining,
and learn to keep your less than right things to yourself.

I'll give you credit for not using the word hypocrite, which most
people use where it doesn't apply. A person would only be a
hypocrite if he, for example, acted like he had never stolen anything
when he had, or acted like he didn't now when he still did.

But no one here said how honest they were, and no one was a hypocrite
even if some are dishonest.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I hear people **** and moan all day every day here about Home Depot, Lowe's,
and the other borgs. The reaction I got was not what I expected.

I guess people who have gotten things by mistake just haven't weighed in
yet, or cared to take the time to write about their own experience.

All I've heard from are the hypocrites.

I got something at a break from a company that would have and has taken
advantage of me on many previous occasions. I do not feel guilty. They
****ed up big time on two sets of double doors once. As I see it, they
still owe me money.

As for all the bleeding heart liberal hypocrites, preach to someone who
might either buy what they're selling, or at least be interested. I'm not.

I can live with what happened. I'm an adult. I'll cope.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

as often as people get screwwed over by companies like this, a little
pay back isn't such a bad thing.

Empressess #124457

The best Games

lee houston wrote:
"Steve B" wrote in message

We do so. She rings up two doors at $39 each. My wife and I make eye
contact, but don't say a word. We pay the girl, and then run like hell.

$320 worth of doors for $78 plus tax.

Your honesty was tested. And you flunked.

lee

Posted to alt.home.repair

Abe wrote:
And the rest of you sanctimonious pious assholes that act like you're honest
and haven't done anything shady in your lives and still pontificate on the
actions of others can kiss my sorry dishonest ass, too. Too bad you don't
have the honesty to share your stories. Like you wouldn't or haven't done
the same thing. Yeah, right.

My thinking exactly. All the armchair quaterbacking that's going on
here bears little resemblance to what the great majority of these same
people would do when they actually see the little register lights with
a price mistake in their favor.

The lesson to be learned is, as much as it's tempting to brag a little
about your "good fortune," keep these kinds of things quiet between
you and your wife.

Is your name "Honest" Abe? I think not.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article helSg.449$BC6.230@fed1read01, "Steve B" wrote:

"Johnny V." wrote in message

"Steve B" wrote

We do so. She rings up two doors at $39 each. My wife and I make eye
contact, but don't say a word. We pay the girl, and then run like hell.

Gosh Steve, I'll bet you and your wife are real proud.

Running out of a box store after knowingly cheating them. Can you trust
each other, or are you constantly on your toes wondering if the other one
is cheating?

You two deserve each other.

**** you asshole.

I didn't go in there to steal anything.

We didn't cheat anyone.

Yes, you did.

We did what the people said to do.

We let them do their own math.

We paid what they asked.

And you *knew* they made a mistake.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 21:58:26 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote Re I love the way Home Depot
sucks!:

And never made the claim to be anything other than what I am. Unlike people
here who have never cheated or taken a discount for a mistake.

There was one man like that, but he died a very long time ago.

Steve

Steve is just bitter because his neighbor is pumping up his wife and
he can't get any.

Posted to alt.home.repair

as often as people get screwwed over by companies like this, a little
pay back isn't such a bad thing.

Empressess #124457

The best Games

rel=nofollowhttp://www.gamestotal.com/Multiplayer Online Games</a
<a
href=Strategy" target=_blank

rel=nofollowhttp://www.gamestotal.com/Strategy Games</a<br<a
href=Unification" target=_blank

rel=nofollowhttp://uc.gamestotal.com/Unification Wars</a - <a
Games</a<br<a href=http://gc.gamestotal.com/Galactic

Conquest</a -
href=http://www.stephenyong.com/runescape.htmRunescape</a<br<a

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
She rings up two doors at $39 each. My wife and I make eye
contact, but don't say a word. We pay the girl, and then run like hell.

$320 worth of doors for $78 plus tax.

I remember many times from my childhood when my Dad corrected a
cashier's error or even went back to pay for something that was missed.
He would also say things like "ethics are what you do when nobody's
watching."

Your ethic is pretty clear here. Why not just go through the self-check
or put items in your pockets?

-kiwanda

Posted to alt.home.repair

Charlie Morgan wrote:
On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 19:21:02 -0700, "Steve B" wrote:

"Johnny V." wrote in message
.. .

"Steve B" wrote

[...]

Okay, here's my story... I once waited in a long line at the bank drivethrough
to cash my paycheck on my lunch hour. After about 45 minutes, I made it to the
window and cashed my check. As I pulled away, I counted the money and realized I
had been given an extra $10. Well, I only had about 15 minutes before I was due
back at work, and it didn't look like I was gonna be eating lunch. I circled
around the building and got back at the end of that line. When I got to the
window, the clerk tried to refuse the $10. She said she gave me the correct
amount. I insisted on talking to her supervisor. I told the supervisor that I
had been given $10 too much and at first she didn't want to take it either. I
finally said, "Look, take the money, and when you close out the register, if you
come out $10 ahead, here's my name and address. I ended up not only missing
lunch, but lost a half hours pay by getting back to work late.

Now... Tell us your story again.

CWM

Here is my story:

I was in Home Depot for some miscellaneous items and noticed a
water dispenser (the kind that heats and chills water from a
water bottle, free standing) with a sign on top of it that
said $89.00. I had been looking at these because my wife
wanted one for the house and I had been researching prices. I
knew that this one was regularly about $200 and saw that the
tabletop models were right next to the ones with the special
sign. I was not looking to buy one of these at that moment,
but I knew that was the wrong price. I grabbed the sales rep
in that area and told him that I think that sign is supposed
to be on the table top models. He argued with me and said
that no, the special was for these standalones. I then asked;
if I carry this down to the register, is it going to ring up
at $89.00? He said absolutely. I told him that I had been
looking at these and that was an exceptional price for that
model, it was even a good price for the table top model and
that he should check to make sure that that was the correct
price. He then became surly and informed me that this was his
dept. and he had installed the sign and knew what he was
talking about.

At that point, I decided if that was the price, I needed to
buy it, since it was such a good deal. I asked him to come
with me to the checkout to make sure there were no problems.
He grabbed a cart, put the dispenser in it and walked up to
the checkout with me. The cashier scanned the bar code and it
rang up at $192.00 and change. I looked at the sales guy and,
without a word, he did an override on the transaction and sold
me the unit for $89.00. The next time I passed by there, the
sign was on the table top model.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve
I bought about $15 dollars worth of little stuff. Handed the checker a $20
got $85 in change I flunked the Honesty thing to. Oh well make up for a
small amount of frustration dealing with them, they still owe me. By the
way when I ordered widows for my house the Guy new what he was talking but
it all went to **** from him to the front desk to the manufacturer

The world runs because thankfully, most people would have, had they
caught it, returned the money.

Sure, screw the despot.

What do you think the REAL result of your ethical failure was?

That cashier probably lost her job. What do you suppose the effects of
that were? Maybe nothing. Maybe it cost her her apartment, her sobriety
her marriage.

Would that be your fault?

Hell no.

But you didn't help.

80 bucks you didn't need, versus helping.

Nice choice

Am I ehtically perfect?

No

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Charlie Morgan" wrote in message
On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 19:21:02 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Johnny V." wrote in message
.. .

"Steve B" wrote

[...]

I did the same thing one time at a bank, but it was for $100. I knew the
teller would have to pay the shortage, and I didn't take the money. I've
done it many other times when cashiers have given me too much change. It
seems that no one can make or count change today. They just hand it back to
you in a wad.

In this case, the cashier's till was right at the end of the day.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kiwanda" wrote in message
oups.com...

Steve B wrote:
She rings up two doors at $39 each. My wife and I make eye
contact, but don't say a word. We pay the girl, and then run like hell.

$320 worth of doors for $78 plus tax.

I remember many times from my childhood when my Dad corrected a
cashier's error or even went back to pay for something that was missed.
He would also say things like "ethics are what you do when nobody's
watching."

Your ethic is pretty clear here. Why not just go through the self-check
or put items in your pockets?

-kiwanda

I don't put things in my pockets. I just go to a cashier and pay what they
tell me.

It's easy.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"yourname" wrote in message

[...]

Her till balanced at the end of the day if she hadn't made any other
mistakes.

Her sobriety?

What the hell does that mean?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Allison wrote:
Charlie Morgan wrote:

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 19:21:02 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Johnny V." wrote in message

"Steve B" wrote

We do so. She rings up two doors at $39 each. My wife and I make
eye contact, but don't say a word. We pay the girl, and then run
like hell.

Gosh Steve, I'll bet you and your wife are real proud.

Running out of a box store after knowingly cheating them. Can you
trust each other, or are you constantly on your toes wondering if
the other one is cheating?

You two deserve each other.

**** you asshole.

I didn't go in there to steal anything.

yet you did.

We didn't cheat anyone.

yes you did

We did what the people said to do.

We let them do their own math.

when you knew the right answer

We paid what they asked.

And the rest of you sanctimonious pious assholes that act like you're
honest and haven't done anything shady in your lives and still
pontificate on the actions of others can kiss my sorry dishonest ass,
too. Too bad you don't have the honesty to share your stories. Like
you wouldn't or haven't done the same thing. Yeah, right.

Steve

We are just not so proud of our dishonesty. I am not perfectly honest,
but I cannot recall purposefully walking away with extra change. I can
recall handing back money. 2 days a go I corrected the drive thru guy,
and he waved me off. It was a buck, he didn't care. I drove.

Okay, here's my story... I once waited in a long line at the bank
drivethrough
to cash my paycheck on my lunch hour. After about 45 minutes, I made
it to the
window and cashed my check. As I pulled away, I counted the money and
realized I
had been given an extra $10.

snip

My grandfathers story, as told to me:

My grandfather was an immigrant who worked at the Ford assembly plant.
He worked in the toolroom, and guy were responsible for their own
tools., so if they didn't turn them in, they would get docked. Ford paid
well, but htye had a thousand ways to get you back. My grandfather would
sometimes substitute a broken tool for one that was missing, saving
the guys paycheck. 100 percent honest? no. But it did make him
reasonably well liked.

Those days they paid in cash. A brinks style truck backed up to the pay
window and disbursed pay envelopes on payday. Only 2 guys in the whole
plant were allowed in the truck.

One payday, my grandfather picked up his pay, and counted it. There was
an extra brand new 5 dollar bill in the envelope. Stress the brand new
bill. He went back to the guy at the window and said, hey, this isn't
right. Guy says your nuts keep it and go away. He says nope, take back
the five dollars. Guy shrugs. takes the money.

the next week, there were three guys allowed in the pay truck.

the moral is that you do not have to be honest, but it can be to your
advantage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The lesson to be learned is, as much as it's tempting to brag a little
about your "good fortune," keep these kinds of things quiet between
you and your wife.

The biggest rule about breaking the rules is:

"When you break the rules, never, ever tell ANYONE about it."

People who brag about their exploits usually get caught.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 07:31:54 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote Re I love the way Home Depot
sucks!:

Her sobriety?

What the hell does that mean?

It means you are a scum bag who is too stupid to see what an ass you
are making of yourself. OTOH, it is entertaining to watch you try to
back-track.