Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular.t-mobile,sci.electronics.repair

Default Would you file an FTC or FCC complaint for Android T-Mobile ROMlies?

On 04/05/2014 04:02 PM, Danny D. wrote:

I keep beating my head against the wall, chastising myself for buying
the thing. It's my fault. I do agree. I was stupid. I agree. I'm an
idiot for buying this phone because I *thought* the sd card would hold
apps (it did for my Gingerbread Android phone, for example).

My key question is HOW do you guys seem to inherently *know* that the
sd card can't hold apps?

I always thought it did?
How did *you* know that it didn't?

Note: The carrier never told me this until it was too late.

In my case, it comes from knowing how Linux works. While not precisely
Linux, Android is a very close relative.

In Linux, every app, file, etc. has permissions attached to it. The user
(you) doesn't have permission to manipulate apps that are owned by root
(T-Mobile, on your phone) unless root specifically gives that
permission. In general, apps the user installs belong to the user, and
apps installed by root belong to root. That's why you can't move apps to
the external SD card - they don't belong to you. They belong to root.
(T-Mobile)

Google has no say over who "root" is. If you "root" your phone, you
aren't breaking away from Google, you're breaking away from T-Mobile. If
I were to root my tablet, I'd be breaking away from Hannspree.

But rooting isn't for everybody. Being root gives you absolute power
over your phone. That includes, along with the power to uninstall any
app or move it wherever you care to, the power to wipe the OS right off
with a very simple command line command. That's the reason for the
permissions - so that users who don't know what they are doing can't
accidentally mess up the whole system.

TJ
Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular.t-mobile,sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 05 Apr 2014 15:08:04 -0700, nobody wrote:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2439667

The same site has a forum for the L9. People there can tell you
whatever you want to know.

Thanks for that suggestion.

I've registered an account, and am voraciously reading up on how
to root this thing without bricking it.

I also see that cyanogenmod might give me a smaller Android
footprint, so, my overall goal might be three steps.

1. Root the phone
2. Replace the OS with a small cyanogenmod footprint
3. Add only the apps that I need or want

This might make the 600MB into a usable 2GB or so, if I'm
lucky ...

Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular.t-mobile,sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 05 Apr 2014 14:54:21 -0700, nobody wrote:

And why no whining about RAM? My first smartphone had 4GB storage and
512MB RAM. The problem with it was the limited RAM, maiking you stop
applications to run others.

I did see on the forum.xda-developers.com site you had kindly
suggested that there are ways to format the SD card so that
it acts as RAM, so, that's one possible way for me to add
what they called "virtual memory".

Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular.t-mobile,sci.electronics.repair

On 04/05/2014 10:27 PM, Danny D. wrote:
On Sat, 05 Apr 2014 15:08:04 -0700, nobody wrote:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2439667

The same site has a forum for the L9. People there can tell you
whatever you want to know.

Thanks for that suggestion.

I've registered an account, and am voraciously reading up on how
to root this thing without bricking it.

I also see that cyanogenmod might give me a smaller Android
footprint, so, my overall goal might be three steps.

1. Root the phone
2. Replace the OS with a small cyanogenmod footprint
3. Add only the apps that I need or want

This might make the 600MB into a usable 2GB or so, if I'm
lucky ...

Strong suggestion: Learn from your experience. Your basic problem came
from making assumptions without acquiring sufficient knowledge. In
short, you didn't do your homework before you acted.

That practice can be fatal to your phone if you act as root. I'm not
trying to scare you away from rooting your phone and doing what you
propose, as I know enough to know that I don't know enough to pass
judgment on your proposal. I'm only saying that you should be extremely
cautious. Find out the pitfalls (there are ALWAYS pitfalls) of what you
want to do, especially if you make a mistake.

I've been a Linux user for 12 years, and have acted as root on my own
systems many times. I don't fear it, but I have a healthy respect for
the power. I have messed things up royally, but not before I had a
recovery plan in place. Be aware that even with that experience, or
maybe because of it, I wouldn't attempt what you are proposing to do
unless it was either that or the recyclers for the phone, and even then
wouldn't attempt it after only a few minutes of online reading.

Also, make sure the online information you are reading is current -
information from as little as a year ago might now be outdated. Things
are developing that fast. Faster.

Good luck.

TJ
Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular.t-mobile,sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 06 Apr 2014 09:19:11 -0400, TJ wrote:

Strong suggestion: Learn from your experience.

The bad news is that nobody would buy this LG Optimus L9
if they truthfully advertised it's a 600MB phone for apps.

The result of that bad news is that I can't use the phone
as it is (i.e., out of the box), since it is a 600MB phone
for apps (even with the 32 GB SDcard).

So, the good news implication is that, even if I brick it,
I haven't lost anything, since the phone is worthless from
the get go.

All I can do is make a worthless phone less worthless or
more worthless, depending on the outcome of my cyanogenmod
efforts ...

I'm trying to line up my ducks with this tutorial:
http://www.androidrooting.com/how-to...9-very-easily/

Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular.t-mobile,sci.electronics.repair

On 4/4/2014 11:55 AM, Danny D. wrote:
Long story short, I believe T-Mobile lied to the consumer by claiming
the LG Optimus F3 and LG Optimus L9 have both 4GB of internal memory
and that they can use up to a 32 GB external microsd card.

Without arguing why I feel that way, I just wish to ask here whether
the complaint rightly goes to the FTC or to the FCC?

On the one hand, it's (grossly) false and misleading advertising.
On the other hand, it's a communication device.

Whom would you file the complaint to?
How?

I would complain to neither since both claims seem to be literally true. If
I made such a purchase and wanted somebody to blame for the results then
I'd have to start by blaming myself for not doing a bit of basic research
before the act. Whinging afterward seldom does any good.
Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular.t-mobile,sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 06 Apr 2014 12:23:31 -0400, John McGaw wrote:

I'd have to start by blaming myself for not doing a bit of basic
research before the act. Whinging afterward seldom does any good.

Do you really consider it "basic research" to know that the phone
only has 600MB of usable storage space for apps?

How are you supposed to find this out, if neither LG nor T-Mobile
will tell you?

Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular.t-mobile,sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 6 Apr 2014 15:43:27 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

On Sun, 06 Apr 2014 09:19:11 -0400, TJ wrote:

Strong suggestion: Learn from your experience.

The bad news is that nobody would buy this LG Optimus L9
if they truthfully advertised it's a 600MB phone for apps.

No, you wouldn't buy it if you had known that. Tens of thousands of
people own an L9 and don't see any significant number of them crying
fraud or deceptive practices. There's a reason it's a $180 phone and
not a $600 one.

The result of that bad news is that I can't use the phone
as it is (i.e., out of the box), since it is a 600MB phone
for apps (even with the 32 GB SDcard).

Yes you can use it for quite a few apps even with only 600MB ROM. You
want to use it for some apps that use an inordinate amount of space
for storing maps. My first Android phone had 1GB ROM and 512MB RAM.
It was usable for a lot of things. In fact I found the RAM size the
bigger problem. You can also have small footprint apps that will kill
the apps not currently running and take up space, freeing it for
something else. (I like Andorid Assistant)

So, the good news implication is that, even if I brick it,
I haven't lost anything, since the phone is worthless from
the get go.

You've lost the value of the phone on the market. Lots of people would
like to buy it as is. It's actually a lot of phone for it's price. I
have recommended this phone to over a dozen people because for their
meeds it's a great phone.

All I can do is make a worthless phone less worthless or
more worthless, depending on the outcome of my cyanogenmod
efforts ...

Or you could just sell it on eBay or Craigslist and cough up the extra
$299-300 for a phone that suits your needs.

I'm trying to line up my ducks with this tutorial:
http://www.androidrooting.com/how-to...9-very-easily/

And be sure you get one on how to restore the stock ROM if you ever
want to sell it.
Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular.t-mobile,sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 6 Apr 2014 18:11:55 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

On Sun, 06 Apr 2014 12:23:31 -0400, John McGaw wrote:

I'd have to start by blaming myself for not doing a bit of basic
research before the act. Whinging afterward seldom does any good.

Do you really consider it "basic research" to know that the phone
only has 600MB of usable storage space for apps?

How are you supposed to find this out, if neither LG nor T-Mobile
will tell you?

Try posting the question on any or all of the several L9 specific
forums.
Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular.t-mobile,sci.electronics.repair

"Danny D." wrote in message
On Sat, 05 Apr 2014 14:47:53 +0100, Arfa Daily wrote:

I managed to shift a couple of apps to the
card, and that freed up enough space to keep me going,

I can't shift *any* of the pre-installed apps to the SD card!
The settings apps button doesn't have a MOVE (or delete).
How can you do that?

When I called LG, just now, at 800-243-0000, the representative
(Leyda, in Mobile Communications Support) said that,
after Ice Cream Sandwich, Google (not LG) disabled the ability
to load apps onto the SD card, and also removed the ability to
MOVE apps to the SD card.

So, if that's true, how did you move apps to the SD card?
(I'm so confused.)

The couple of apps that I managed to move were ones that I had put on there
myself. One was a utility to better control sounds and indications of
events - the default one treated every event pretty much the same, playing
the incoming text tune for them all - and a better texting app than the
default one. Unfortunately, that actually doesn't work well, because despite
it supposedly being selectable, the default text app won't stop being the
default, so any incoming texts now sound the tone twice as they get loaded
into both apps. This is a bit of a pain, as you then have to read them in
both apps, otherwise, one or other of them will keep bleating at you that
you have unread messages ... :-\

I had both of these apps loaded on my previous Android smartphone, which was
an HTC, and they worked just fine.

Arfa

Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular.t-mobile,sci.electronics.repair

"John McGaw" wrote in message
On 4/4/2014 11:55 AM, Danny D. wrote:
Long story short, I believe T-Mobile lied to the consumer by claiming
the LG Optimus F3 and LG Optimus L9 have both 4GB of internal memory
and that they can use up to a 32 GB external microsd card.

Without arguing why I feel that way, I just wish to ask here whether
the complaint rightly goes to the FTC or to the FCC?

On the one hand, it's (grossly) false and misleading advertising.
On the other hand, it's a communication device.

Whom would you file the complaint to?
How?

I would complain to neither since both claims seem to be literally true.
If I made such a purchase and wanted somebody to blame for the results
then I'd have to start by blaming myself for not doing a bit of basic
research before the act. Whinging afterward seldom does any good.

I don't know about the U.S., but here in the UK, the mobile phone business
seems to be the modern day equivalent of the dodgy car dealers of the past.
Whilst you might well say that it is the OP's fault that he didn't do enough
research, I have to say that I have a degree of sympathy with him. The
claims being made by the people who sold him the phone are, in my opinion,
misleading at a minimum, and bordering on bare faced lies at worst. It's
also fine for the other good folk on here who really understand about phones
to deride the OP for his lack of knowledge, but it could just as easily be a
similar situation with some other product for them.

I consider myself to be an intelligent and tech-savvy person - I repair
electronic equipment for a living, and have done for 45 years - but I also
got caught by exactly the same problem as the OP, although for my useage, I
was able to get around it enough without it rendering the phone useless to
me.

So, what is the rationale behind the root owners 'locking' this bloatware so
that you can't at least move it if not delete it, or why put it on there in
the first place ? Do they get paid by the originators to put it on there,
and make sure it stays on there ? And if you are going to go to the trouble
of designing in additional external memory capability, why not allow its
full useage for anything other than storing photos on ?

So yes, I quite understand where the OP is coming from on this one, and why
he feels that he has been misled as to the capabilities of his phone for the
purposes that he needs - particularly after he took the trouble to ask those
who *should* have known, and who *should* have been able to advise him with
regard to the true amount of app storage available to him, and the
restricted storage abilities of the SD card as an augmentation of the
internal storage.

Arfa

Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular.t-mobile,sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote:

So yes, I quite understand where the OP is coming from on this one, and
why he feels that he has been misled as to the capabilities of his phone
for the purposes that he needs - particularly after he took the trouble
to ask those who *should* have known, and who *should* have been able to
advise him with regard to the true amount of app storage available to
him, and the restricted storage abilities of the SD card as an
augmentation of the internal storage.

Agreed: and when I buy a laptop (as I did) that advertised a 128 GB SSD, that
turns out to have 16 GB[*] reserved for a recovery partition (and a fair amount
of bloatware on the C: drive, to boot), then I feel that I've been lied to.
It's not that I can't fix it (I have), but I can't shop to /my/ best advantage
if the sellers twist the facts.

The position with phones is much the same, if not worse. On the little Samsung
phone I have (or rather: had until I bricked it) that came "free" with the
above laptop, there was so little space that, after I had added just /two/
small apps (a mapping app and a WiFi monitor) that it couldn't even update the
apps that Samsung had locked onto the phone ("Not enough space to update
YouTube", "Not enough space to update Google Hang-outs", ..) And, of course,
putting a 32GB SD card into it didn't help at all...

-- chris

Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular.t-mobile,sci.electronics.repair

On 04/05/2014 08:44 AM, TJ wrote:
On 04/05/2014 10:47 AM, dave wrote:
On 04/05/2014 06:33 AM, TJ wrote:
On 04/05/2014 09:31 AM, TJ wrote:

Maybe even contact a US Senator looking to get re-elected. Try one of
mine, Chuck Schumer. He's always looking for causes to "investigate" to
get his name in the paper.

Wow. Really revealed my age on that one. I should have said, "in the
news."

TJ

What is the OP using to determine he can't use the memory outside the
phone? I've never seen that (except Apple junk).

He wants to move apps to his external card, mostly bloatware installed
as part of the system by T-Mobile, and the OS won't let him do so. So,
because he can't use it the way he wants to use it, he has declared it
"useless."

TJ

Files are portable, apps are not. That is also standard.
Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular.t-mobile,sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 07 Apr 2014 05:29:08 -0700, dave scrit:

Files are portable, apps are not. That is also standard.

Except in Android 2.x and in 4.3 and above.
Otherwise true.

Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular.t-mobile,sci.electronics.repair

On 04/07/2014 06:31 AM, Aled Griffiths wrote:
On Mon, 07 Apr 2014 05:29:08 -0700, dave scrit:

Files are portable, apps are not. That is also standard.

Except in Android 2.x and in 4.3 and above.
Otherwise true.

OK. I am using the free XP file manager you download from Samsung on my
only Windows device, a netbook with failing buttons. I don't even know
why I'd try to remove an ap. What for? I'm just glad I can drag and drop
songs and pictures. Or preload them onto the detachable memory..

Why does Android tell me they can't play .flac or .wav when they
actually can? In fact they tell you to transcode down before loading.
WTF? Almost all my files are from CDs and are lossless. Memory is cheap,
hearing is not. I do not store RAW photos. There are limits to my
self-indulgence.

Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular.t-mobile,sci.electronics.repair

In article , dave
wrote:

Why does Android tell me they can't play .flac or .wav when they
actually can? In fact they tell you to transcode down before loading.
WTF? Almost all my files are from CDs and are lossless. Memory is cheap,
hearing is not. I do not store RAW photos. There are limits to my
self-indulgence.

hearing is definitely not lossless and grows worse as people age.

people can't hear a difference between a lossless audio file and a
properly done mp3/aac, especially at 256kbps or 320kbps.

they might think they can, but in a double-blind test, people have
consistently *not* been able to tell the difference. countless such
tests have been done, with many, many people.

there certainly isn't an audible difference on headphones or with the
built-in speakers of a device.
Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular.t-mobile,sci.electronics.repair

On 04/05/2014 04:46 AM, Danny D. wrote:

On Sat, 05 Apr 2014 02:58:57 +0100, Arfa Daily wrote:

The solution, of course, is to 'root' the phone.
Then you can do what you like with the storage ...

I've never rooted a phone, but, I may be forced to do so,
just to make the phone usable.

I do agree with you that *all* the preloaded apps won't allow
you to move them.

I guess if you could move them, you could delete them.

Mewonders if Google makes certain apps non-removable (e.g., Chrome)
because it's in there best interest. Yet, mewonders why
T-Mobile makes certain apps (e.g., T-Mobile TV) non-removable,
since there are plenty of their apps I'd never ever use but
I can't get rid of.

Chrome (the Android 'Browser') is much faster than firefox, but does NOT
allow adblock plus -- which I consider essential for any browsing I do,
especially with severely limited screen size.

There are always tradeoffs :-(

--
Cheers, Bev
Guns kill people like spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular.t-mobile,sci.electronics.repair

On 04/05/2014 04:49 AM, Danny D. wrote:

On Sat, 05 Apr 2014 03:01:39 +0100, Arfa Daily wrote:

From my experience of the Android platform on phones, you won't find it is
much different from your experience with the T-Mobile phone, right across
the board.

I think the "problem" is that the "little lie" becomes a "big lie" the
closer your internal memory gets to 4GB.

For example, if they lie by 4GB in a 32GB phone, you still have a usable
28GB of "usable" memory.

Likewise, if they lie by 4GB in a 16GB or even 8GB phone, you still have
a usable 12GB and 4GB respectively.

But, if they lie by 4GB in a 4GB phone, you end up with a useless phone.

Compound that lie with the lie of the promise of the SD card, and you
are dead in the water with a phone you never would have bought, had the
carrier provided the truth when you looked up the specs and asked on
the phone about the "usable" memory.

A knowledgeable person might have defined 'usable' as 'usable for
downloading and running additional applications'; the problem is that
NOBODY is knowledgeable the first time they buy a smartphone...or
computer...or anything else that's fairly complex; there's always SOME
nasty surprise no matter how much research you do.

Had that been done I think T-Mobile wouldn't have had a leg to stand on,
especially if you'd recorded the conversation. I also think that the
helpdroid would have said exactly the same thing -- "Sure you can do it"
-- because he didn't expect to hear the qualifier. Sort of like WW2
'dazzle' paint on ships :-)

--
Cheers, Bev
Guns kill people like spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular.t-mobile,sci.electronics.repair

On 04/05/2014 11:34 AM, Danny D. wrote:

On Sat, 05 Apr 2014 09:24:32 -0400, TJ wrote:

Judging by that, I'd say that if the company reps said "usable" memory,
you haven't a leg to stand on. The memory on the phone is *usable." You
use it every time you turn the phone on. It's usefulness may be limited,
but that's different from "unusable." That's what the lawyers would
argue, anyway.

I do agree with you. I think my complaint won't carry much weight with
either the FTC or the FCC unless (and this is the biggie), unless I'm
not alone in considering this deceptive advertising.

For example, if hundreds or thousands of consumers complain with the same
complaint of deceptive advertising, then the FTC and/or FCC, I think,
would take it seriously.

If I'm the only one who is complaining of deceptive advertising, then,
I'm simply the one fool in the crowd who fell for it.

It's no different than when people complain about an automotive defect
or an advertising scam. If enough people complain about deceptive
advertising, the FTC and/or FCC will listen.

One complaint is just one disgruntled consumer.

HINT: If you feel like complaining, you get 1,000 characters on the
online FCC complaint form & 3,000 characters on the online FTC form:
FCC 888-225-5322 http://www.fcc.gov/complaints (deceptive advertising)
FTC 877-382-4357 https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/Details#crnt

OK, I complained to both. The FTC complaint contained a bit of
clarification missing in my FCC complaint:

"When I was first interested in buying an Android cellphone, I
determined that I
wanted an external sdcard in order to NOT be limited by the internal
phone memory.
Every single provider of phones gives the amount of internal memory (in
my case,
4GB) along with the fact that a slot for an external SD card ("up to nn
GB") is
provided. No warning is given that it's not possible to move the included
applications or run new ones on the external SD card. Indeed, many of
the phones
themselves refer to their internal memory as "sdcard", which is completely
deceptive. If companies provide the amount of memory as a selling
point, which
they do, they should make it clear that 'usable' in terms of external
storage means
"NOT usable to run applications". Anything less is fraud.

If you like my complaint, feel free to use it or any part of it in your own.

--
Cheers, Bev
Guns kill people like spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular.t-mobile,sci.electronics.repair

On 04/05/2014 01:02 PM, Danny D. wrote:

On Sat, 05 Apr 2014 14:25:37 -0500, Paul Miner wrote:

Can you expand a bit on why you feel that the phone is useless? Surely it
works as advertised, able to do everything it's supposed to do. Is it the
case that you have one or more apps in mind that you'd like to install, but
you can't because there isn't enough space available? If that's the case, I
don't think I would call it useless.

Hi Paul,
You are exactly right.

The phone is actually a fine phone, out of the box, for anyone who doesn't
wish to install any more than a total of 600 MB of applications (and their
data).

However, if the user wishes to install more than 600MB of applications
(and their data, such as offline maps), then the phone will not allow
that to happen.

So, it's useless (to me), from my standpoint, since I had *assumed*
that I could augment the admittedly puny 4GB of internal storage with
the 32 GB microSD card.

It turns out that this is, in effect, a 600MB (internal storage for
apps) phone.

Had I known that, I never would have purchased the phone.

I keep beating my head against the wall, chastising myself for buying
the thing. It's my fault. I do agree. I was stupid. I agree. I'm an
idiot for buying this phone because I *thought* the sd card would hold
apps (it did for my Gingerbread Android phone, for example).

My key question is HOW do you guys seem to inherently *know* that the
sd card can't hold apps?

I always thought it did?
How did *you* know that it didn't?

Note: The carrier never told me this until it was too late.

I did a lot of reading about cellphones, but NOWHERE did I see it
mentioned that external sdcards couldn't run applications. I didn't ask
anybody, I just read the specs. The BLU is a fine phone aside from this
monumental drawback, which is apparently universal.

I should have read this newsgroup before buying the phone. I've found
that people who review products in various "forums" and
sales/manufacturers' websites generally don't have a clue.

:-(

--
Cheers, Bev
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular.t-mobile,sci.electronics.repair

On 04/05/2014 04:56 PM, TJ wrote:

On 04/05/2014 02:34 PM, Danny D. wrote:

One complaint is just one disgruntled consumer.

HINT: If you feel like complaining, you get 1,000 characters on the
online FCC complaint form & 3,000 characters on the online FTC form:
FCC 888-225-5322 http://www.fcc.gov/complaints (deceptive advertising)
FTC 877-382-4357 https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/Details#crnt

I have nothing to complain about. I knew the "full" capacity of the
internal storage wasn't available for my use,

Where did you discover this knowledge? What did you know that led you
to seek it out? My computer has RAM and ROM internally, and whatever
size hard drive(s) I want to add. Less RAM/ROM means stuff works
slower, but is entirely independent of the size of the hard drive. Is
it such a leap to assume that Android phones are similarly organized?

just as the "full"
capacity of my computer's hard drives aren't available. I've known it
for decades.

The majority of the HD space is NOT unavailable, though.

--
Cheers, Bev
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
"I read about this syndrome called hypochondria in a
magazine. I think I've got it." -- DA
Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular.t-mobile,sci.electronics.repair

On 04/06/2014 08:43 AM, Danny D. wrote:

On Sun, 06 Apr 2014 09:19:11 -0400, TJ wrote:

Strong suggestion: Learn from your experience.

The bad news is that nobody would buy this LG Optimus L9
if they truthfully advertised it's a 600MB phone for apps.

The result of that bad news is that I can't use the phone
as it is (i.e., out of the box), since it is a 600MB phone
for apps (even with the 32 GB SDcard).

So, the good news implication is that, even if I brick it,
I haven't lost anything, since the phone is worthless from
the get go.

All I can do is make a worthless phone less worthless or
more worthless, depending on the outcome of my cyanogenmod
efforts ...

I'm trying to line up my ducks with this tutorial:
http://www.androidrooting.com/how-to...9-very-easily/

BUT FIRST find out how to restore its virginity in the event of failure!

--
Cheers,
Bev
"I read about this syndrome called hypochondria in a
magazine. I think I've got it." -- DA
Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular.t-mobile,sci.electronics.repair

On 04/06/2014 09:23 AM, John McGaw wrote:

On 4/4/2014 11:55 AM, Danny D. wrote:
Long story short, I believe T-Mobile lied to the consumer by claiming
the LG Optimus F3 and LG Optimus L9 have both 4GB of internal memory
and that they can use up to a 32 GB external microsd card.

Without arguing why I feel that way, I just wish to ask here whether
the complaint rightly goes to the FTC or to the FCC?

On the one hand, it's (grossly) false and misleading advertising.
On the other hand, it's a communication device.

Whom would you file the complaint to?
How?

I would complain to neither since both claims seem to be literally true. If
I made such a purchase and wanted somebody to blame for the results then
I'd have to start by blaming myself for not doing a bit of basic research
before the act. Whinging afterward seldom does any good.

When we buy an automobile, we have certain unstated expectations --
motor, wheels, steering wheel etc. We don't need to ask for these
specifically because everybody knows that they're part of the car. When
was the last time you bought a car and the salesman asked "And will you
be wanting headlights with that, sir?"

Maybe that was how it worked 100 years ago, but not for a long time now.

Buying a cellphone, especially the first one, is very different.
First-time buyers don't know what they don't know. Since this is
relatively new technology aimed partially at first-time buyers, the
decent thing is to provide more and better explanation.

Unless the intent is to screw the customers, of course.

--
Cheers, Bev
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

-- Scott Adams

Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular.t-mobile,sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 05 Apr 2014 15:02:44 -0700, wrote:

600MB provides a reasonable amount of space for apps

Sure does. In fact, it's 4x the space my 20th century Win 3.1 pen/windows
tablet had for its whole HD :-) . (Yup: everything ran off a 129 MB HDD.)

Shucks, you young 'uns :-) . Cheers, -- tlvp

Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular.t-mobile,sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 07 Apr 2014 15:14:28 -0700, The Real Bev wrote:

Unless the intent is to screw the customers, of course.

Probably not the explicit intent ... but a welcome side-effect? Certainly.

Cheers, tlvp
Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular.t-mobile,sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 7 Apr 2014 02:08:35 +0100, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

"John McGaw" wrote in message
[...]

Oh, blarg. Think about who has skin in the game on how Android
development progresses. That is who is paying the bills, and guess what,
they who provide the gelt call the shots.

HTH

?-0

Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular.t-mobile,sci.electronics.repair

On 04/07/2014 07:49 AM, nospam wrote:
In article , dave
wrote:

Why does Android tell me they can't play .flac or .wav when they
actually can? In fact they tell you to transcode down before loading.
WTF? Almost all my files are from CDs and are lossless. Memory is cheap,
hearing is not. I do not store RAW photos. There are limits to my
self-indulgence.

hearing is definitely not lossless and grows worse as people age.

people can't hear a difference between a lossless audio file and a
properly done mp3/aac, especially at 256kbps or 320kbps.

they might think they can, but in a double-blind test, people have
consistently *not* been able to tell the difference. countless such
tests have been done, with many, many people.

there certainly isn't an audible difference on headphones or with the
built-in speakers of a device.

I would not put headphones in the same category as built-in speakers.
Perhaps the average schmuck in a test can't tell, maybe I can't tell,
but in 10 years I will still have clean copies of my music, and my
hearing, which is fine. If you do MP3 at 256k or 320k why not just
record the PCM as a .wav? What is the advantage of using MPEG
compression? H264 aac? Or Apple aac?
Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular.t-mobile,sci.electronics.repair

On 04/07/2014 03:05 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
[...]

Use Youtube video tutorials.
Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular.t-mobile,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Why does Android tell me they can't play .flac or .wav when they
actually can? In fact they tell you to transcode down before loading.
WTF? Almost all my files are from CDs and are lossless. Memory is cheap,
hearing is not. I do not store RAW photos. There are limits to my
self-indulgence.

hearing is definitely not lossless and grows worse as people age.

people can't hear a difference between a lossless audio file and a
properly done mp3/aac, especially at 256kbps or 320kbps.

they might think they can, but in a double-blind test, people have
consistently *not* been able to tell the difference. countless such
tests have been done, with many, many people.

there certainly isn't an audible difference on headphones or with the
built-in speakers of a device.

I would not put headphones in the same category as built-in speakers.

they're in the same category in that neither is particularly good and
they aren't used in situations where perfect sound matters, such as
jogging, walking or riding on a train or airplane.

Perhaps the average schmuck in a test can't tell, maybe I can't tell,
but in 10 years I will still have clean copies of my music, and my
hearing, which is fine. If you do MP3 at 256k or 320k why not just
record the PCM as a .wav? What is the advantage of using MPEG
compression? H264 aac? Or Apple aac?

the reason to use compressed audio is because it's significantly
smaller than uncompressed audio, with no audible difference.

typically, one can get around 5-10x as much music in the same space or
have the same amount of music with plenty of room to spare for other
stuff, such as apps, photos, videos and whatever else you might want.

why waste the space on something that can't be heard?

and aac is not apple's. it's an industry standard that's better than
mp3.

Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular.t-mobile,sci.electronics.repair

On 04/08/2014 07:07 AM, nospam wrote:

[...]

"Space" is cheap, hearing is not. Perceptual coding is audible to lots
of people who listen for a living. These include musicians and audio
engineers. FLAC is free lossless audio codec. Compression and lossy
compression are 2 different things.

http://www.digitalpreservation.gov/f...dd000110.shtml

Apple is where I was first exposed to aac. Sorry if I upset you. And you
have obviously never listened to a pair of Grados so I don't know what
to think about your opinions regarding listening to hifi.

Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular.t-mobile,sci.electronics.repair

On 04/07/2014 05:52 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

I should have read this newsgroup before buying the phone. I've found
that people who review products in various "forums" and
sales/manufacturers' websites generally don't have a clue.

:-(

Straying a bit off-topic, but the same thing can be said for most user
reviews. Some are done by shills paid by competitors to pan the item.
Some are done by people who have purchased it but haven't even opened
the "box" yet. And some are done by kids, who by definition think they
know everything. Maybe 10% are honest reviews. Trouble is, it can be
hard to find which 10% that is.

TJ
Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular.t-mobile,sci.electronics.repair

On 04/07/2014 06:02 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
On 04/05/2014 04:56 PM, TJ wrote:

On 04/05/2014 02:34 PM, Danny D. wrote:

One complaint is just one disgruntled consumer.

HINT: If you feel like complaining, you get 1,000 characters on the
online FCC complaint form & 3,000 characters on the online FTC form:
FCC 888-225-5322 http://www.fcc.gov/complaints (deceptive advertising)
FTC 877-382-4357 https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/Details#crnt

I have nothing to complain about. I knew the "full" capacity of the
internal storage wasn't available for my use,

Where did you discover this knowledge? What did you know that led you
to seek it out? My computer has RAM and ROM internally, and whatever
size hard drive(s) I want to add. Less RAM/ROM means stuff works
slower, but is entirely independent of the size of the hard drive. Is
it such a leap to assume that Android phones are similarly organized?

Years of experience with computers. Android devices are computers, and
work on the same principles.

just as the "full"
capacity of my computer's hard drives aren't available. I've known it
for decades.

The majority of the HD space is NOT unavailable, though.

It can be, if it's small enough. I have a computer that dual boots with
Windows XP and Mageia Linux. Just a few weeks ago, I shrank my XP
partition to create a "test" partition for the latest Mageia release, so
I could try it out on the hardware. As it turned out, the test space was
enough to install the system and test the hardware, but there wasn't
enough user space to do much more than that. I certainly couldn't
install and test all the Linux apps that I use regularly.

Now, with Mageia I had the option of installing a smaller, lighter
system, but that would have made the test invalid.

TJ
Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular.t-mobile,sci.electronics.repair

On 04/07/2014 06:14 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
[...]

Every motor vehicle I've ever owned had a spec for how many miles you
can drive on a tankful of fuel. And none of those vehicles met that spec
in Real Life.

TJ
Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular.t-mobile,sci.electronics.repair

In article , dave
wrote:

[...]

space is cheap for a desktop computer. it's not that cheap for a mobile
device in your pocket which has a hard upper limit (typically 32-64 gig
internal), and for devices that accept cards, it becomes a nightmare
swapping them and keeping track of which one has what on it.

Perceptual coding is audible to lots
of people who listen for a living. These include musicians and audio
engineers.

no it isn't.

people *think* they can hear a difference but in countless double-blind
tests, they consistently do no better than chance. they are *guessing*
at which is which.

there's a famous test where audiophiles, who claim they can hear subtle
differences, could not tell the difference between monster cable and
ordinary coat hangers (and they didn't even know that a coat hanger was
being used).

FLAC is free lossless audio codec.

as is alac, apple's open source lossless compression.

however, both are a complete waste of space on a mobile device where
one typically listens to music on headphones or the internal speakers
and in environments where any differences if they did exist, would not
matter and could not be heard. nobody is going to notice artifacts
while jogging or listening on a train.

you *might* have a point if it was hooked to a high end audio system,
but it isn't (and even then, you couldn't tell a difference - see above
for double-blind tests).

Compression and lossy
compression are 2 different things.

nobody said otherwise.

however, there's no *audible* difference.

this has been proven time and time again.

http://www.digitalpreservation.gov/f...dd000110.shtml

Apple is where I was first exposed to aac. Sorry if I upset you.

you didn't upset me. a lot of people mistakenly think aac is an apple
proprietary codec and it is not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Audio_Coding

AAC has been standardized by ISO and IEC, as part of the MPEG-2 and
MPEG-4 specifications. Part of the AAC known as High Efficiency
Advanced Audio Coding (HE-AAC) which is part of MPEG-4 Audio is also
adopted into digital radio standards like DAB+ and Digital Radio
Mondiale, as well as mobile television standards DVB-H and ATSC-M/H.
AAC is the default or standard audio format for YouTube, iPhone,
iPod, iPad, Nintendo DSi, Nintendo 3DS, iTunes, DivX Plus Web Player
and PlayStation 3. It is supported on PlayStation Vita, Wii (with the
Photo Channel 1.1 update installed), Sony Walkman MP3 series and
later, Sony Ericsson; Nokia, Android, BlackBerry, and webOS-based
mobile phones, with the use of a converter. AAC also continues to
enjoy increasing adoption by manufacturers of in-dash car audio
systems.

And you
have obviously never listened to a pair of Grados so I don't know what
to think about your opinions regarding listening to hifi.

this isn't about grados versus cheap $2 headphones included with a
device. obviously there would be a difference between those.

this is about mp3/aac versus uncompressed, a difference which is
inaudible.

and this isn't a matter of my opinion or anyone elses opinion. once
again, in double-blind tests, people consistently *can't* tell which is
which. set up your own double-blind test and you'll get the same
results everyone else who has done so. they do no better than chance.

Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular.t-mobile,sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 07 Apr 2014 14:52:55 -0700, The Real Bev wrote:

I did a lot of reading about cellphones, but NOWHERE did I see it
mentioned that external sdcards couldn't run applications.

I think most reviewers don't even know this fact!

Certainly, I didn't know it before I bought the phones.

I only learned after the phones came back to me to 'fix',
when I found out, sadly, without rooting, that it would
be very difficult (if not impossible) to move the
pre-installed apps or to install new apps, to the sdcard.

I admit, I was an idiot. I had trusted that the reviewers
actually knew what they were doing. Now, I belatedly realize,
they're all shills, CNET & PC Magazine (sadly) included.

PC Magazine:

CNET:
http://www.cnet.com/products/lg-optimus-l9-t-mobile/
Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular.t-mobile,sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 07 Apr 2014 14:19:55 -0700, The Real Bev scrit:

Sort of like WW2 'dazzle' paint on ships

I'm afraid to ask.
Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular.t-mobile,sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 07 Apr 2014 14:45:11 -0700, The Real Bev wrote:

FCC 888-225-5322 http://www.fcc.gov/complaints (deceptive advertising)
FTC 877-382-4357 https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/Details#crnt

OK, I complained to both. The FTC complaint contained a bit of
clarification missing in my FCC complaint:
If you like my complaint, feel free to use it or any part of it in your own.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

That complaint was perfect.

I'm a normal consumer, who fell for an advertising 'trick' that only
a VERY well informed consumer would NOT fall for.

Because of that, they should make it clear that you can't use the
SD card for storage of apps!

Thank you again!
Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular.t-mobile,sci.electronics.repair

The Real Bev wrote:

FCC 888-225-5322 http://www.fcc.gov/complaints (deceptive advertising)
FTC 877-382-4357 https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/Details#crnt

OK, I complained to both. The FTC complaint contained a bit of
clarification missing in my FCC complaint:

I hope you don't mind, but I filed the same complaint that you did!

"When I was first interested in buying an Android cellphone, I
had realized that I wanted an external sdcard in order to NOT
be limited by the internal phone memory.

Every provider of phones gives the amount of internal FLASH memory
(in my case, 4GB) along with the fact that a slot for an external
SD card ("up to 32 GB", in my case) is provided (or not provided).

HOWEVER, NO CONSUMER WARNING is provided by the manufacturer on
any of their advertisements, web sites, specifications, manuals,
or technical support phone calls, that IT'S IMPOSSIBLE to move
the preloaded apps off that internal memory onto the sd card!

If companies provide the amount of USABLE memory to the consumer,
instead of the worthless specification of TOTAL MEMORY, Consumers
would not be tricked into buying a phone that turns out to not
be as advertised.

In short, the advertisements should make it clear to the
consumers that the sdcard memory is UNUSABLE for application
storage. Anything less said, is intended to mislead the
consumer. That is fraud."

Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular.t-mobile,sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 07 Apr 2014 15:14:28 -0700, The Real Bev wrote:

Buying a cellphone, especially the first one, is very different.
First-time buyers don't know what they don't know.
Unless the intent is to screw the customers, of course.

I admit I am a dumb consumer.

I fell for the trick that the 32GB sd card could, somehow,
augment the 4GB of "total internal memory" (aka Flash).

I was wrong. Dead wrong. Dumb wrong. Idiot stupid wrong.

However, look at this PC Magazine review of the phone:

To its credit, it does say "Unfortunately, bloatware runs
rampant. You get nine pieces of bloatware from T-Mobile
alone, and you can't delete any of it."

But, it NEVER SAID that you can't use the SD card for
app storage. And, it never said you only get 600MB
in toto, for app storage!

In fact, it mistook what the OS reported as the
available memory, when we already know that to be
untrue (see the memory thread for details).

"The Optimus L9 has 1.69GB of free internal storage,
along with an empty microSD card slot underneath the
battery cover. My 32 and 64GB SanDisk cards worked fine."

Notice that PC Magazine, essentially said:
a) Too much T-Mobile bloatware (true)
b) 1.69MB free internal storage (dead wrong)
c) 32 & 64 GB cards work (yea, but not for app storage!)

I would say that anyone reading that PC Magazine review
could be FOOLED into assuming (as I had) that the
sd card could be used to overcome the limitations
of the limited (FLASH) "total internal memory".

And, certainly, PC Magazine got it DEAD WRONG that
there is "1.69MB of free internal storage"!

Clearly, PC Magazine never read this thread:
How do we get Android to spit out the true memory & storage situation?
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/comp.mobile.android/true$20memory/comp.mobile.android/e6svmGS1M-E/-dONxP8YopcJ