Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular.t-mobile,sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Would you file an FTC or FCC complaint for Android T-Mobile ROM lies?

"John McGaw" wrote in message
On 4/4/2014 11:55 AM, Danny D. wrote:
Long story short, I believe T-Mobile lied to the consumer by claiming
the LG Optimus F3 and LG Optimus L9 have both 4GB of internal memory
and that they can use up to a 32 GB external microsd card.

Without arguing why I feel that way, I just wish to ask here whether
the complaint rightly goes to the FTC or to the FCC?

On the one hand, it's (grossly) false and misleading advertising.
On the other hand, it's a communication device.

Whom would you file the complaint to?
How?

I would complain to neither since both claims seem to be literally true.
If I made such a purchase and wanted somebody to blame for the results
then I'd have to start by blaming myself for not doing a bit of basic
research before the act. Whinging afterward seldom does any good.

I don't know about the U.S., but here in the UK, the mobile phone business
seems to be the modern day equivalent of the dodgy car dealers of the past.
Whilst you might well say that it is the OP's fault that he didn't do enough
research, I have to say that I have a degree of sympathy with him. The
claims being made by the people who sold him the phone are, in my opinion,
misleading at a minimum, and bordering on bare faced lies at worst. It's
also fine for the other good folk on here who really understand about phones
to deride the OP for his lack of knowledge, but it could just as easily be a
similar situation with some other product for them.

I consider myself to be an intelligent and tech-savvy person - I repair
electronic equipment for a living, and have done for 45 years - but I also
got caught by exactly the same problem as the OP, although for my useage, I
was able to get around it enough without it rendering the phone useless to
me.

So, what is the rationale behind the root owners 'locking' this bloatware so
that you can't at least move it if not delete it, or why put it on there in
the first place ? Do they get paid by the originators to put it on there,
and make sure it stays on there ? And if you are going to go to the trouble
of designing in additional external memory capability, why not allow its
full useage for anything other than storing photos on ?

So yes, I quite understand where the OP is coming from on this one, and why
he feels that he has been misled as to the capabilities of his phone for the
purposes that he needs - particularly after he took the trouble to ask those
who *should* have known, and who *should* have been able to advise him with
regard to the true amount of app storage available to him, and the
restricted storage abilities of the SD card as an augmentation of the
internal storage.

Arfa