Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Toolstation App for android

https://market.android.com/details?i...station.mobile

Seems pretty reasonable - searching could be better, but it is there and it
is a start and it claims to let you build a shopping list for collection
over the counter.

It does tell you (a-la Argos App) the stock levels at your local branch.

Cheers,

Tim

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

https://market.android.com/details?i...station.mobile

I barely see the point of these "web content thinly disguised as an app"
apps, if only they'd make their website aware of small form factor
devices they'd achieve the same result ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-01-25, Andy Burns wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:

https://market.android.com/details?i...station.mobile

I barely see the point of these "web content thinly disguised as an app"
apps,

They're for the people who insist on an app. Most of these "apps" are just
a web browser in a wrapper.

Not always true - for example the Ocado app downloads the catalogue and
allows offline working.

But point accepted - I just though people might be interested...

Cheers,

Tim

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred wrote:

I don't have one of these fancy phones so I don't understand all these
apps. Each shop seems to have its own app. Why can't the user just go
onto an internet browser and visit the shop's web site?

They can, of course it helps when the website is written to work well on
small-screen devices.

What does an app do that a browser can't?

It could download the price list for offline usage, but it'd get pretty
large if it included full description and pictures for each item.

Why install half a dozen apps for six
shops when you could just run one browser?

That's why I don't bother with apps to read individual newspapers,
forums or shops ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fred" wrote in message
On 26 Jan 2012 08:17:24 GMT, Huge wrote:

They're for the people who insist on an app. Most of these "apps" are just
a web browser in a wrapper.

I don't have one of these fancy phones so I don't understand all these
apps. Each shop seems to have its own app. Why can't the user just go
onto an internet browser and visit the shop's web site? What does an
app do that a browser can't? Why install half a dozen apps for six
shops when you could just run one browser?

An app can do things on the phone that a browser can't.
E.g. apps can store stuff on the phone which could be useful.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 10:23:07 +0000, Fred wrote:

Why install half a dozen apps for six shops when you could just run one
browser?

Most websites don't have an alternative, sans all the flashy "web
experience" stuff that the small relatively low resolution screen of
a mobile phone can't really handle.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/12 10:23, Fred wrote:
On 26 Jan 2012 08:17:24 GMT, wrote:

They're for the people who insist on an app. Most of these "apps" are just
a web browser in a wrapper.

I don't have one of these fancy phones so I don't understand all these
apps. Each shop seems to have its own app. Why can't the user just go
onto an internet browser and visit the shop's web site? What does an
app do that a browser can't? Why install half a dozen apps for six
shops when you could just run one browser?

TIA

The apps I've tried (eBay, Autotrader etc) work much better on mobiles
than the corresponding websites. Aside from the screen size issue others
have pointed out, a well designed app can be much less data hungry than
a typical flashy website. the apps I've tried are reasonably usable on
GPRS whereas the websites are utterly useless, even using a laptop from
a pigtailed phone.

If only the websites were leaner...

Cheers,

Colin.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 22:23:06 +0000, Colin Stamp
wrote:

The apps I've tried (eBay, Autotrader etc) work much better on mobiles
than the corresponding websites. Aside from the screen size issue others
have pointed out, a well designed app can be much less data hungry than
a typical flashy website.

Thanks for the explanations

android spying software, Android Spy phone software, Blackberry ChatMessenger Logging, Reverse Phone Lookup , SMS spy, cell spy software, cellphone camera Video Logging, cell phone camera Picture Logging, mobile phoneEmail Logging, Smartphone Alex Rostov UK diy 1 March 10th 12 01:15 PM
[OT] iPhone or Android... Tim Watts[_2_] UK diy 94 January 30th 12 08:58 AM
Toolstation taken over PeterC UK diy 14 January 7th 12 07:55 PM
Android Newsgroup Reader Lawrence[_3_] UK diy 4 December 1st 11 08:27 PM