Posted to alt.lasers,sci.optics,sci.electronics.repair

Default Sam's eBay Horror Story #1

I have been a member in good standing with eBay since 1999. As readers
of Sam's Laser FAQ are probably aware, I have acquired a large number of
lasers and related items on eBay, most at bargain basement prices. All in
all I have been very satisfied with the eBay experience. Until now.

For a blow-by-blow saga of what I'm experiencing now, please go to

http://repairfaq.cis.upenn.edu/Misc/ebayhorror1.htm

I will be updating this as it plays out. I expect the outcome to be
satisfactory, but the route it's taking is like one of those nightmares
where you're trapped on a 15 dimensional mobius strip.

Comments welcome!

Posted to alt.lasers,sci.optics,sci.electronics.repair

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message
I have been a member in good standing with eBay since 1999. As readers
of Sam's Laser FAQ are probably aware, I have acquired a large number of
lasers and related items on eBay, most at bargain basement prices. All in
all I have been very satisfied with the eBay experience. Until now.

For a blow-by-blow saga of what I'm experiencing now, please go to

http://repairfaq.cis.upenn.edu/Misc/ebayhorror1.htm

I will be updating this as it plays out. I expect the outcome to be
satisfactory, but the route it's taking is like one of those nightmares
where you're trapped on a 15 dimensional mobius strip.

Comments welcome!

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above
is
ignored unless my full name AND either lasers or electronics is included
in the

Interesting. I was in the middle of a (small) transaction with a longtime
reputable seller whose account was then suspended the same day as yours.
Maybe a hacker has figured out how to fool their screening program to create
havoc. For example, If he creates an account using your address, then is
suspended for behaving badly, his account would be linked to yours because
of the same address.

--
Adam Norton

(Remove antispam feature before replying)

Posted to alt.lasers,sci.optics,sci.electronics.repair

Sam Goldwasser wrote:

I have been a member in good standing with eBay since 1999. As readers
of Sam's Laser FAQ are probably aware, I have acquired a large number of
lasers and related items on eBay, most at bargain basement prices. All in
all I have been very satisfied with the eBay experience. Until now.

For a blow-by-blow saga of what I'm experiencing now, please go to

http://repairfaq.cis.upenn.edu/Misc/ebayhorror1.htm

I will be updating this as it plays out. I expect the outcome to be
satisfactory, but the route it's taking is like one of those nightmares
where you're trapped on a 15 dimensional mobius strip.

Just be happy that you aren't trapped in a Klein bottle!

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Sporadic E is the Earth's aluminum foil beanie for the 'global warming'
sheep.
Posted to alt.lasers,sci.optics,sci.electronics.repair

"Michael A. Terrell" writes:

Sam Goldwasser wrote:

I have been a member in good standing with eBay since 1999. As readers
of Sam's Laser FAQ are probably aware, I have acquired a large number of
lasers and related items on eBay, most at bargain basement prices. All in
all I have been very satisfied with the eBay experience. Until now.

For a blow-by-blow saga of what I'm experiencing now, please go to

http://repairfaq.cis.upenn.edu/Misc/ebayhorror1.htm

I will be updating this as it plays out. I expect the outcome to be
satisfactory, but the route it's taking is like one of those nightmares
where you're trapped on a 15 dimensional mobius strip.

Just be happy that you aren't trapped in a Klein bottle!

That would be more intersting though.

Posted to alt.lasers,sci.optics,sci.electronics.repair

"anorton" writes:

[...]

That's sort of along the lines of what I'm thinking as well. Assuming it isn't
a typo on someone's part entering eBay IDs, then I'm sure there is
something legitimate to the investigation. But some elementary
Web and directory searches would quickly reveal who has the real
addresses and other contact information. This is like a bad Hitchcock
script!

Thanks.

Posted to alt.lasers,sci.optics,sci.electronics.repair

On 6/6/08 7:40 PM, in article , "Sam
Goldwasser" wrote:

I have been a member in good standing with eBay since 1999. As readers
of Sam's Laser FAQ are probably aware, I have acquired a large number of
lasers and related items on eBay, most at bargain basement prices. All in
all I have been very satisfied with the eBay experience. Until now.

For a blow-by-blow saga of what I'm experiencing now, please go to

http://repairfaq.cis.upenn.edu/Misc/ebayhorror1.htm

I will be updating this as it plays out. I expect the outcome to be
satisfactory, but the route it's taking is like one of those nightmares
where you're trapped on a 15 dimensional mobius strip.

Comments welcome!

I've not had a problem of that kind with the idiots, but I have attempted to
do a problem resolution with them and find them useless droids.

To minimize contact with them I even quit using Paypal, as they wanted too
much personal information such as checking account, etc. I don't trust them
and never will.

Were I you, I'd talk with my attorney about the bad experience.

Good luck; you'll need it.;

Posted to alt.lasers,sci.optics,sci.electronics.repair

Don Bowey writes:

On 6/6/08 7:40 PM, in article , "Sam
Goldwasser" wrote:

[...]

For me, I do eBay for fun. It's not like a day job so being kicked off
for a few days may be a good thing. Other than the time I've spent
trying to communicate with the droids and writing up the saga, it gives
me more time for other things. Perhaps they will have done me a favor
if I never get back on!

But I could just imagine if this happened to someone whose business
was selling on eBay.

Posted to alt.lasers,sci.optics,sci.electronics.repair

Sam Goldwasser wrote:
I have been a member in good standing with eBay since 1999. As readers
of Sam's Laser FAQ are probably aware, I have acquired a large number of
lasers and related items on eBay, most at bargain basement prices. All in
all I have been very satisfied with the eBay experience. Until now.

For a blow-by-blow saga of what I'm experiencing now, please go to

http://repairfaq.cis.upenn.edu/Misc/ebayhorror1.htm

I will be updating this as it plays out. I expect the outcome to be
satisfactory, but the route it's taking is like one of those nightmares
where you're trapped on a 15 dimensional mobius strip.

Comments welcome!

Maybe wrapping your letter around a brick and tossing it through the
window of their headquarters would get someone to actually read it.
Posted to alt.lasers,sci.optics,sci.electronics.repair

Sam Goldwasser writes:

Comments welcome!

I'm sorry to hear you're having these problems. I assumed you had some
tale of a fraudster victimizing you, but apparently your problem is
eBay's fraud detection false-positive'izing you.

All I can say is the eBay as an service and as a corporation has been
degrading significantly for years. It started with things like
"protecting" us by censoring email addresses, and then things like
hiding bidder IDs, and now the recent feedback changes. Bah.

It's really sad. Technology seems to be marching backwards in a lot of
ways. Aside from portability, our grandparents had better telephones
than these portable things we carry around today. It used to cost money
to talk on the phone or send mail, so incoming phone calls or email were
generally worthy of your attention. Now I spend significant time daily
attending to worthless phone calls and spam, coming from instrusive
idiots who have no possibility of profiting from their nuisance. Cheap
communication not only explodes into time-wasting frivolity, it empowers
the foolish to "get in touch" with you personally. When it cost money
to talk, the foolish didn't have any to waste.

I actually feel better about being bum-rushed by panhandlers on the
streets these days. At least they're limited by space, time, and my
appearance in a public place, limitations that don't apply to electronic
gooks, and one gets at least a little human interaction of a lukewarm
sort.

The "fall" of the Internet from the crime-free 1970s-1980s to present
day just confirms the doctrine of original sin.

If Ben Franklin has proposed a postal system where 98 percent of the
traffic was spam and frauds, he'd be laughed out of town.
Posted to alt.lasers,sci.optics,sci.electronics.repair

"anorton" writes:

[...]

and havoc at Paypal
http://blog.statcounter.com/?p=74

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to alt.lasers,sci.optics,sci.electronics.repair

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message
Don Bowey writes:

On 6/6/08 7:40 PM, in article , "Sam
Goldwasser" wrote:

[...]

Very possibly a phishing e-mail. Any time you get a suspicious e-mail from
"Ebay" you should NOT respond to any link in the suspect e-mail. Go directly
to Ebay's security center and give them the details, including the source
code of the suspect e-mail.

Since you clicked on the link contained in the e-mail it is important you do
virus and malware scans IMMEDIATELY.

Mark Z.

Posted to alt.lasers,sci.optics,sci.electronics.repair

James Sweet writes:

Sam Goldwasser wrote:
I have been a member in good standing with eBay since 1999. As readers
of Sam's Laser FAQ are probably aware, I have acquired a large number of
lasers and related items on eBay, most at bargain basement prices. All in
all I have been very satisfied with the eBay experience. Until now.
For a blow-by-blow saga of what I'm experiencing now, please go to
http://repairfaq.cis.upenn.edu/Misc/ebayhorror1.htm
I will be updating this as it plays out. I expect the outcome to be
satisfactory, but the route it's taking is like one of those nightmares
where you're trapped on a 15 dimensional mobius strip.
Comments welcome!

Maybe wrapping your letter around a brick and tossing it through the
window of their headquarters would get someone to actually read it.

You must be the eternal optimist.

Posted to alt.lasers,sci.optics,sci.electronics.repair

"Mark D. Zacharias" writes:

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message
Don Bowey writes:

On 6/6/08 7:40 PM, in article , "Sam
Goldwasser" wrote:

[...]

I read email in Mutt (a text program) on unix. For me to follow a link
requires copying and pasting, which I will only do IF the URL contains
the primary domain of the supposed sender. This I only do rarely.
And with eBay, there is always the duplicate copy in the "My Messages",
which isn't blocked by being suspended. And don't forgate that those
bid cancellation emails had to have originated from within the eBay system.

Thanks for your thoughts though.

Mark Z.

Posted to alt.lasers,sci.optics,sci.electronics.repair

Richard J Kinch writes:

Sam Goldwasser writes:

Comments welcome!

I'm sorry to hear you're having these problems. I assumed you had some
tale of a fraudster victimizing you, but apparently your problem is
eBay's fraud detection false-positive'izing you.

All I can say is the eBay as an service and as a corporation has been
degrading significantly for years. It started with things like
"protecting" us by censoring email addresses, and then things like
hiding bidder IDs, and now the recent feedback changes. Bah.

I agree 100 percent about all these.

No one I've talked to thinks any of these are for the better, except possibly
limiting email address exposure.

My pet peeve is hiding of bidder IDs. First of all, everyone seems to
agree that if anything, this makes it easier for shill bidding and other
similar practices. And the way they do it is only half-hearted in any
case. With a bit of effort, it's generally possible to identify the
actual bidder from the 4 character masked ID and the Feedback rating.

With the system in place now, I can end up bidding against friends of
mine. eBay may consider agreements among friends not to outbid one-another
to be against the rules. But with all due respect, that is none of their
business, just as if a bunch of friends sends one persno to a real auction
to bid on their behalf.

As bad as the Feedback system was, the "improved" arrangment could be
simply ridiculous. Maybe I missed something but no feedback direct
from sellers anymore? How about this as an alternative:
The seller should be *required* to issue the first
feedback when they have been paid and ship the item. Then, the buyer
can respond with their own feedback once the item arrives. If that is
negative or neutral, the seller can respond and a dialog is allowed
until any issues are resolved.

Posted to alt.lasers,sci.optics,sci.electronics.repair

On 6/6/08 9:02 PM, in article , "Sam
Goldwasser" wrote:

(snip)

For me, I do eBay for fun. It's not like a day job so being kicked off
for a few days may be a good thing. Other than the time I've spent
trying to communicate with the droids and writing up the saga, it gives
me more time for other things. Perhaps they will have done me a favor
if I never get back on!

But I could just imagine if this happened to someone whose business
was selling on eBay.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:
http://www.repairfaq.org/

(snip)

The thing is, when a seller who does a lot of business for them, cheats a
buyer, the eBay droids are are present only so they can say they have a
resolution process. That the process follows the path of least
work/thought/fairness/intelligence for them is what's important.

Posted to alt.lasers,sci.optics,sci.electronics.repair

On 07 Jun 2008 08:05:05 -0400, Sam Goldwasser
wrote:

Very possibly a phishing e-mail. Any time you get a suspicious e-mail from
"Ebay" you should NOT respond to any link in the suspect e-mail. Go directly
to Ebay's security center and give them the details, including the source
code of the suspect e-mail.

Since you clicked on the link contained in the e-mail it is important you do
virus and malware scans IMMEDIATELY.

I read email in Mutt (a text program) on unix. For me to follow a link
requires copying and pasting, which I will only do IF the URL contains
the primary domain of the supposed sender. This I only do rarely.
And with eBay, there is always the duplicate copy in the "My Messages",
which isn't blocked by being suspended. And don't forgate that those
bid cancellation emails had to have originated from within the eBay system.

Thanks for your thoughts though.

Possibly Sam was taken in by a phishing mail?

Easy:

Look into the source code of the HTML page you opened,
and you will notice that instead of the Ebay pages you are
routed to China, or elsewhere. The link is embedded
in between the valid Ebay data. Had that several times.
With WHOIS you can identify the sender and his location.
Forward the page as text file, not HTML, to Ebay fraud service.

I am using AGENT as mail client, TEXT ONLY,
and opening a link takes several mouse-clicks.
w.
Posted to alt.lasers,sci.optics,sci.electronics.repair

My experience with ebay live help has been just as bad. I used it
recently to find out why an item I listed almost 24 hours ago still
wasn't showing up in the search. The guy jet kept repeating that it
should show up within 3 hours when I was asking him why it hadn't
shown up within 3 hours. I think they just match your question to the
closest one on their help list and read the answer to you.

Since you mentioned the new feedback system...

The new feedback system now makes feedback for buyers meaningless.
They should just make it so sellers can't leave feedback at all since
a buyer's feedback no longer tells you anything. If paying is the
buyer's only responsibility, then why don't they just make it so the
buyer receives an automatic positive feedback as soon as they make
their paypal payment? All of my worst buyers have been people who
paid promptly, but then later made unreasonable demands, or did a
charge back.

Another problem I'm seeing with feedback is the new star rating system
for things like shipping. The meaning of the ratings is deliberately
misleading. 4 out of 5 stars is described as "reasonable", or
"satisfied", "accurate", or "quickly". These all sound like positive
comments, but a seller with an average of 4 out of 5 stars is
virtually kicked off ebay. They have to pay higher fees, and have
their listings hidden at the bottom of the search.
Andy Cuffe

Posted to alt.lasers,sci.optics,sci.electronics.repair

Andy Cuffe writes:

The new feedback system now makes feedback for buyers meaningless.
They should just make it so sellers can't leave feedback at all since
a buyer's feedback no longer tells you anything.

It's like the Model T or the 500 phone set, which came in any color you
wanted, as long as that color was black.

You can leave any kind of eBay feedback you like for buyers, as long as it
is positive.
Posted to alt.lasers,sci.optics,sci.electronics.repair

As a followup. My account was restored around noon today (June 7) with
the following statement:

"Thank you for taking the time to fax the information we requested.

I appreciate the information that you have sent, and I have reviewed the
details of this suspension. In light of additional information that has
been submitted and a new review, it has been decided to reinstate this
account."

No explanation and not even a form-letter apology.

Thanks for your support!

Posted to alt.lasers,sci.optics,sci.electronics.repair

There's something very strange I just came across.

One eBay member whose ID I won't make public here has a 53 Feedback rating,
100 percent positive.

But looking at his Feedback listings, 6 out of those 53 people he either
bought from or sold to who gave him Feedback are now "no longer registered
users", a.k.a. have had their accounts suspended.

I had emailed him about shipping on one of his auctions and received
a reply only long after the auction closed, on June 2. I presume that
emailing via the eBay form would include some information on my address
so he could calculate shipping if needed, in other words, contact
information that might be used to try to open a new account.

And for those saying it was phishing again, there were no links in the email.

Contact me off this forum if you'd like more details.

Posted to alt.lasers,sci.optics,sci.electronics.repair

Sam Goldwasser wrote:

For me, I do eBay for fun. It's not like a day job so being kicked off
for a few days may be a good thing. Other than the time I've spent
trying to communicate with the droids and writing up the saga, it gives
me more time for other things.

Did you ever use that old six pin Amphenol connector I sent you?

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Sporadic E is the Earth's aluminum foil beanie for the 'global warming'
sheep.
Posted to alt.lasers,sci.optics,sci.electronics.repair

Sam Goldwasser wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" writes:

Sam Goldwasser wrote:

I have been a member in good standing with eBay since 1999. As readers
of Sam's Laser FAQ are probably aware, I have acquired a large number of
lasers and related items on eBay, most at bargain basement prices. All in
all I have been very satisfied with the eBay experience. Until now.

For a blow-by-blow saga of what I'm experiencing now, please go to

http://repairfaq.cis.upenn.edu/Misc/ebayhorror1.htm

I will be updating this as it plays out. I expect the outcome to be
satisfactory, but the route it's taking is like one of those nightmares
where you're trapped on a 15 dimensional mobius strip.

Just be happy that you aren't trapped in a Klein bottle!

That would be more intersting though.

Especially if you can't find your asbestos long johns.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Sporadic E is the Earth's aluminum foil beanie for the 'global warming'
sheep.
Posted to alt.lasers,sci.optics,sci.electronics.repair

"Michael A. Terrell" writes:

Sam Goldwasser wrote:

For me, I do eBay for fun. It's not like a day job so being kicked off
for a few days may be a good thing. Other than the time I've spent
trying to communicate with the droids and writing up the saga, it gives
me more time for other things.

Did you ever use that old six pin Amphenol connector I sent you?

It's wired up. Have I actually put electrons through it yet? Not yet.

Posted to alt.lasers,sci.optics,sci.electronics.repair

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

Sam Goldwasser wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" writes:

Sam Goldwasser wrote:

[...]

My friends wonder why I REFUSE to deal with E-Bay and it's TRIPE!!! To many
stories like this indicative that E-Bay does not completely study their
User's base and use proper security processes to safely honor those in good
standing. IMHO

E-bay does not, in my opinion and very limited experience with, deserve a
place in my computer systems (multiple)! AJ_Esq

Posted to alt.lasers,sci.optics,sci.electronics.repair

On Jun 7, 7:31 pm, Sam Goldwasser wrote:
As a followup. My account was restored around noon today (June 7) with
the following statement:

Ebay doesn't address you by your ebay name, but by your given name. I
think you've been Phished. Sign onto ebay, and immediately change
your password. I get these emails all the time, and report them as
spam.

Posted to alt.lasers,sci.optics,sci.electronics.repair

On 06 Jun 2008 22:40:43 -0400, Sam Goldwasser
wrote:

I will be updating this as it plays out. I expect the outcome to be
satisfactory, but the route it's taking is like one of those nightmares
where you're trapped on a 15 dimensional mobius strip.

You may soon have another way to contact and possibly yell at eBay.
They just sent me an "invitation" email annoucing:

Coming June 16: eBay Phone Support
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
We don't give our number to just anyone (except you)
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Get access to eBay Phone Support:

Only invited members like you will be able to call our new number.
To access this faster service, you'll need to set up a PIN in My
eBay. Also be sure to add your current phone number to your profile.

Then, you'll be all set to go on June 16.

For some unknown reason, I guess it's a big secret. If you didn't get
an "invitation" I guess you're on eBay black list. My guess(tm) is
that I'll end up talking to a humanoid robot, reading from a script,
and talking in boilerplate. Kinda like a verbal version of your email
exchange with eBay support.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to alt.lasers,sci.optics,sci.electronics.repair

The Ebay/Paypal combo is invested with too much power. I bought was two
eight-foot lengths of aluminum channel. Instead, I received four
four-foot lengths. EPal, in their wisdom declared that the purchase was
substantially as advertised. That would be the equivalent, for my
purposes, to ordering a two inch laser rod and getting two one-inch
rods, or a two-carat diamond and getting two one-carat diamonds.

As far as I can tell, there is no practical avenue of appeal.
Fortunately not much money was involved. As a consequence I have bought
little off of Ebay since.

Bill
Posted to alt.lasers,sci.optics,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

I got that same email. I assumed it was another fraud scheme and
erased it. I only respond to ebay messages which come up on "my ebay"
after I've logged in to ebay. I NEVER to messages sent by email if they
have any "click buttons" to redirect or download information. Anyone
can send email and make it look like it came from any URL by name or IP
number. Yes, ebay security sucks, but it's probably no worse than
shopping at the average mall. You can get pickpocketed there too.
That said I only buy on ebay and have over 1000 transaction. So far
I've saved a lot more than I lost on a few bum deals. I the seller says
"untested" or "as is" you can be sure equipment is junk.

Posted to alt.lasers,sci.optics,sci.electronics.repair

[...]

Hi Sam,

Well I have gotten a lot of those my self however I don't have an Ebay
account (LOL)
I am afraid that you have gotten caught by the Ebay Proxy letter. It is sent
with the intent
to be able to intercept your PayPal username and password that gives the
sender the chance
to empty your account....

You should change your password right now!!! but other wise ignore it as
Ebay did not send it. I could tell you for sure if I had a copy of your
letter ( The first one ).

I have to ask this one Sam as I need some parts can we chat???

--
Thanks,
Timelord

Posted to alt.lasers,sci.optics,sci.electronics.repair

eBay writes:

We don't give our number to just anyone (except you)

So, eBay is calling you "just anyone", right? What marketing clown came up
with that prose?

Posted to alt.lasers,sci.optics,sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 21:16:46 -0700, Louis Boyd
wrote:

I got that same email. I assumed it was another fraud scheme and
erased it.

Assumption, the mother of all screwups.

It's apparently for real. I verified that the email header looked
correct. I checked that the URL pointed to ebay.com and not somewhere
else. There was also a copy of the message in my eBay Message
mailbox. Good enough for me.

I read the instructions and manually went to My Account to register
the PIN number. Unless I totally screwed up, the procedure looked
correct. However, I'll have to wait 8 days to see if it works. So
far, eBay has not sent me a telephone number to use. I can't wait to
unload my frustrations on whomever will answer and pretend to listen.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to alt.lasers,sci.optics,sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 23:32:02 -0500, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

eBay writes:

We don't give our number to just anyone (except you)

So, eBay is calling you "just anyone", right? What marketing clown came up
with that prose?

Read the line again. They *DONT* give the number to "just anyone".
Therefore, since they *DID* give (or plan to eventually give) me the
number, I must *NOT* be "just anyone". You misread the statement.

On the other foot, by implication, I might be "just no one" or "just
everyone" but I won't ponder the implications, much.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to alt.lasers,sci.optics,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

Actually, I've had rather good experience with "untested" and "as-is".

Posted to alt.lasers,sci.optics,sci.electronics.repair

"Timelord" -zgb-this writes:

[...]

Has anyone actually read what I wrote in the linked page?

Every email I received from eBay was also present in "My Messages" on
"My eBay". And my account had indeed been suspended *before* I contacted
eBay about this mess.

Now is it possible I replied to some email awhile ago that triggered this?
I suppose it's possible, but highly unlikely.

This was not a phishing scheme, at least not one from outside eBay.

Posted to alt.lasers,sci.optics,sci.electronics.repair

"Timelord" -zgb-this writes:

I have to ask this one Sam as I need some parts can we chat???

Contact me.

Posted to alt.lasers,sci.optics,sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Sam Goldwasser wrote:

"Timelord" -zgb-this writes:

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message
I have been a member in good standing with eBay since 1999. As readers
of Sam's Laser FAQ are probably aware, I have acquired a large number of
lasers and related items on eBay, most at bargain basement prices. All

[snip]

You should change your password right now!!! but other wise ignore it as
Ebay did not send it. I could tell you for sure if I had a copy of your
letter ( The first one ).

Has anyone actually read what I wrote in the linked page?

Every email I received from eBay was also present in "My Messages" on
"My eBay". And my account had indeed been suspended *before* I contacted
eBay about this mess.

Now is it possible I replied to some email awhile ago that triggered this?
I suppose it's possible, but highly unlikely.

This was not a phishing scheme, at least not one from outside eBay.

There is no cost to changing one's password, so I would just do it.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to alt.lasers,sci.optics,sci.electronics.repair

On 09 Jun 2008 08:14:06 -0400, Sam Goldwasser
wrote:

Actually, I've had rather good experience with "untested" and "as-is".

Same here. If I want one of something old, I'll usually buy three of
them for parts. For example:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/home/slides/BL-shop5.html
There are 3ea Wavetek/SSI 3000B service monitors and 3ea HP 8620A
sweepers. Similarly, I also have 3 almost identical frequency
counters, RF generators, and assorted oscilloscopes. I find it better
to have the spare parts than to have one "tested and calibrated"
overpriced piece of test equipment. My guess is that I've bought
about 150 assorted pieces of test equipment on eBay over the years.
Perhaps 3-5 were not quite what the vendor was advertising. I had
one complex hassle when an allegedly working frequency counter arrived
displaying error messages. I really wanted it, so I just downloaded
the manual and fixed it myself.

However, as-is and untested is not for everyone. I actually enjoy
fixing things which makes such purchases practical. For example, all
3 of the HP 8620 sweep generators came with very sticky controls and
knobs. The grease had dried out in the controls and was adding
considerable friction. I tore the front panel apart, lubed
everything, and all the knobs now move like new. If one can't do
simple repairs like that, as-is and untested is not a good idea.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to alt.lasers,sci.optics,sci.electronics.repair

"Timelord" -zgb-this writes:

[...]

subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the
FAQs.

[...]

Yes,
I did read your post, And yes it is a phishing scheme, and yes it is
caused by one of
your own sellers that did it!!! I have bin on the wrong end of this one
before ( 2001-2003 ).
its very complicated I can explain this one to you ( not in a news group )
--
Thanks,
Timelord
Charlie's Place BBS, Newsgroups - Games - Files - Gifs
--- Synchronet 3.14a-Win32 NewsLink 2.03
Charlie's Place BBS - http://cpbbs.synchro.net:8080 - telnet://cpbbs.synchro.net.16:8023 - ftp://cpbbs.synchro.net:8021/00index.html
Posted to alt.lasers,sci.optics,sci.electronics.repair

"Mark D. Zacharias" writes:

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message
Don Bowey writes:

On 6/6/08 7:40 PM, in article , "Sam
Goldwasser" wrote:

[...]

Droids are everywhere now. I get phoney bank e-mails all the time, and they
always start "Dear custooma" or some such mis-spelled nonsense, and the
address that they come from, and have as the reply link, is always a
corruption of the bank's 'real' primary domain. However, a couple of months
back, I received a phishing mail which had, as the first part of the sending
and reply address, the genuine bank's URL.

I mailed the real bank customer service department to inform them that
someone had managed to hijack their primary domain. I went to a lot of
trouble to point out that this was not your usual phishing mail, and was
likely to fool customers who were not *really* paying attention. Back came a
reply saying that what I had experienced was a spoof mail that was really a
phishing exercise and I should not respond to it yada yada yada in full
blown kiddie talk. I replied, and suggested that they were not understanding
what I was saying, and that this was not your standard spoof mail, and that
somehow, someone had managed to gain access to their server. I further
suggested that they should pass this up the chain to someone who better
understood the implications.

Suddenly, last week, I get a form letter from the bank, detailing exactly
what I had told them, and telling not to respond to any such mails in any
way. If the droids had listened to me in the first place, they could have
got on the case two months ago.

Still, it just goes to show that hackers can get into these systems, no
matter how high the security level, and potentially wreak havoc. Good luck
at getting it resolved.

Arfa

a true horror story HankC Home Repair 14 May 28th 06 12:26 AM
Hard drive horror story X2 RM Electronics Repair 14 September 8th 04 03:57 AM
Just seen another horror story Mike Mitchell UK diy 85 August 12th 03 10:48 PM
New Pool Horror Story Monica Butler Home Repair 3 July 3rd 03 05:42 AM
Backup Sump Pump Horror Story Harvey Krodin Home Repair 10 June 27th 03 02:59 PM