Posted to alt.lasers,sci.optics,sci.electronics.repair

Default Sam's eBay Horror Story #1

On 09 Jun 2008 08:14:06 -0400, Sam Goldwasser
wrote:

Actually, I've had rather good experience with "untested" and "as-is".

Same here. If I want one of something old, I'll usually buy three of
them for parts. For example:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/home/slides/BL-shop5.html
There are 3ea Wavetek/SSI 3000B service monitors and 3ea HP 8620A
sweepers. Similarly, I also have 3 almost identical frequency
counters, RF generators, and assorted oscilloscopes. I find it better
to have the spare parts than to have one "tested and calibrated"
overpriced piece of test equipment. My guess is that I've bought
about 150 assorted pieces of test equipment on eBay over the years.
Perhaps 3-5 were not quite what the vendor was advertising. I had
one complex hassle when an allegedly working frequency counter arrived
displaying error messages. I really wanted it, so I just downloaded
the manual and fixed it myself.

However, as-is and untested is not for everyone. I actually enjoy
fixing things which makes such purchases practical. For example, all
3 of the HP 8620 sweep generators came with very sticky controls and
knobs. The grease had dried out in the controls and was adding
considerable friction. I tore the front panel apart, lubed
everything, and all the knobs now move like new. If one can't do
simple repairs like that, as-is and untested is not a good idea.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D