Posted to alt.lasers,sci.optics,sci.electronics.repair
Helmut Wabnig Helmut Wabnig is offline

Default Sam's eBay Horror Story #1

On 07 Jun 2008 08:05:05 -0400, Sam Goldwasser
wrote:

Very possibly a phishing e-mail. Any time you get a suspicious e-mail from
"Ebay" you should NOT respond to any link in the suspect e-mail. Go directly
to Ebay's security center and give them the details, including the source
code of the suspect e-mail.

Since you clicked on the link contained in the e-mail it is important you do
virus and malware scans IMMEDIATELY.

I read email in Mutt (a text program) on unix. For me to follow a link
requires copying and pasting, which I will only do IF the URL contains
the primary domain of the supposed sender. This I only do rarely.
And with eBay, there is always the duplicate copy in the "My Messages",
which isn't blocked by being suspended. And don't forgate that those
bid cancellation emails had to have originated from within the eBay system.

Thanks for your thoughts though.

Possibly Sam was taken in by a phishing mail?

Easy:

Look into the source code of the HTML page you opened,
and you will notice that instead of the Ebay pages you are
routed to China, or elsewhere. The link is embedded
in between the valid Ebay data. Had that several times.
With WHOIS you can identify the sender and his location.
Forward the page as text file, not HTML, to Ebay fraud service.

I am using AGENT as mail client, TEXT ONLY,
and opening a link takes several mouse-clicks.
w.