Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Harbor Fright Down Grades Quality Again

On 4/16/2015 8:28 PM, Richard wrote:
On 4/16/2015 7:16 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Richard" wrote:

GLASS? What's that?

Still got "long necks" in Texas don't they?

Lew

Ok. Got me on that one.
I was thinking soda.

Still around for some better brands in the 12 ounce bottles.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 15 Apr 2015 22:53:33 -0400, wrote:

On Wed, 15 Apr 2015 21:59:08 -0400, krw wrote:

On Wed, 15 Apr 2015 20:24:49 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 4/15/2015 3:05 PM, Leon wrote:

Well that is how you and I think but is a sad statement that most people
pay for their fun before their necessities.

Many years ago I worked for a company that made hobby products (mostly
doe model airplanes) When the economy went bad and unemployment went
up, so did out sales. No work time, so, more time for hobby.

Well, when I was out of a job, my Home Depot budget went through the
roof. ;-) Just because you're not working doesn't mean you're broke.

It sure does if you've never made more than minimum wage, or never
made a "living wage"

No you're making **** up.

A large percentage of North American families are one paycheck away
from "broke".

Their choice. Choice is good, no matter what you lefties think.

And a large percentage of them are hard working folks who try, but
will never get ahead.

Most often, by their choice.

There are enough of them looking for work with a
"living wage" that an employer does not need to hire someone who is
not worth their wages.

Huh? Why would an employer hire someone not worth their wages?
....unless it's the government, of course.

Yes, that will leave the unemployable unemployed.

Good plan.

There will need to be programs to give those who CAN NOT do the jobs
that pay a living wage.

It's called "charity". ...and "incentive".

Likely need to be programs for those who won't work as well - like
wellfare - which we already have.

That program is called "starvation".
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 16 Apr 2015 11:15:09 -0500, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 4/16/15 9:43 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 4/15/2015 11:34 PM, Richard wrote:
On 4/15/2015 9:41 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

When people have been buying quart bottles of mayo for 50 years,
most don't look at the jar size every time they buy. Then it
becomes 30 ounces for the same retail price. The purpose it to
raise revenue and hope the customer does not notice. It is
called deception. Perfectly legal. Many people have not notices
until they got home. Sleazy way of doing business, IMO.

It's either hit the shrink ray (the popular term used) or increase
prices.

Which would YOU prefer?

Either way, the price is raised. Am I going to use less mayo on a
sandwich? No, at the end of the year I'm going to buy the same
quantity be it in 4 big bottles or 5 smaller ones. I'm also being
forced to pay for that extra package so it is even worse.

How often do you downsize rather than increase the price. Next year
it will be 28 ounce jars, then 26, 24, 22 ----soon they will be
selling mayo in half ounce packets.

You're not being *forced* to do $h!t. Go to Costco or Sam's Club and
buy it in a 50 gallon drum if you eat that much. I think I saw a 72oz
container at Kroger last time I was there.

LOL!

While you're at it, take a look at what people in developing nations
have to do to simply survive every day before bitching so much about
what size jar your mayo comes in. :-p

+1
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 15 Apr 2015 22:52:03 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 4/15/2015 10:05 PM, krw wrote:

Raising the minimum wage would save billions in subsidies to McDonalds
and Walmart (etc) employees.

Absurd.

I'm not sure Back a couple of centuries ago (1963) I had a minimum wage
job and was able to support myself, pay for college and buy a 2 year old
car.

Yes, yes, and yes. I couldn't afford a large color television (or any
television, for that matter), cable, or many other *luxuries* that are
considered "necessities" today.

Today, many minimum wage workers are getting subsidized healthcare and
food stamps.

Ok, it would save money if the unemployable were cut off from the
perks of employment. Raising the minimum wage would only increase
prices and lose those jobs the entry workers need.

What is different? See my other post bout inflation and comparitive
value. My $1.55 per hour then is equal to $11.89 today. Minimum wage
has not kept up.

Minimum wage was *never* expected to be a comfortable wage, yet people
thing it should be. It's an entry wage (which should be zero).

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 16 Apr 2015 16:42:53 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard
wrote:

On Wed, 15 Apr 2015 22:52:03 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

What is different? See my other post bout inflation and comparitive
value. My $1.55 per hour then is equal to $11.89 today. Minimum wage
has not kept up.

Same here. My first full time job in 1955 paid $47 a week. That's equal
to $412 a week now. That's $10.30 an hour. Washington has the highest
minimum wage in the country and it's only $9.47.

Our state had a minimum wage increase a few years ago and the usual
suspects - restaurant owners - were frothing at the mouth about the dire
consequences. I talked to a couple of managers I knew and got their
staffing and meals served statistics. Turned out the "catastrophic"
increase amounted to about ten cents per meal served!

In todays paper, I see the Republicans are once again wanting to remove
the estate tax for the top 0.2% of estates those with over 10 million
dollars for a couple. 5 million for one person. But they hate a minimum
wage increase.

The death tax is the worst possible tax. It taxe money that has
already been taxed. It kill businesses and the jobs that go with
them. It is nothing but a leftist's dream of "redistribution", or
more precisely "retrobution".

I wonder how many of the righteous right on this news group get Social
Security and Medicare while they castigate big government?

Social Security is forced on us. If I could have avoided it, I
certainly would have. I certainly intend to take what's owed (your
children be damned) because it was forced on me.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 16 Apr 2015 18:55:51 +0000 (UTC), Baxter
wrote:

"dadiOH" wrote in :

Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Wed, 15 Apr 2015 22:52:03 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I wonder how many of the righteous right on this news group get
Social Security and Medicare while they castigate big government?

ME..ME. I do. But what does that have do do with anything? I bought
and paid for those. Against my will though. If I'd had my druthers,
I'd rather have eschewed SS and taken care of myself; I did anyway but
could have done WAY better if I'd been able to use the SS tax that the
feds forced upon me.

Hindsight is 20/20. Foresight not so good.

Nonsense. Anyone with the most basic of math skills could see that it
was a loser, from day 1.

Plus SSI was there for you had
you needed it all your working years - investments not so much.

SSI is a *completely* different program. It has *nothing* to do with
SS, other than it is administered by the same dysfunctional
organization.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 16 Apr 2015 18:38:11 -0500, Richard
wrote:

On 4/16/2015 11:42 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
[...]

That's all covered in economics 101, Larry.

Rich people invest their money (to make MORE money!)

Poor people don't.

Go figure.

Well, the rich are rich *because* they've invested their money to make
more money. The poor are poor because they've invested nothing, even
their time.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 16 Apr 2015 06:38:08 -0400, "dadiOH"
wrote:

Baxter wrote:

Raising the minimum wage would save billions in subsidies to McDonalds
and Walmart (etc) employees.

That's a ray of light..."Sorry, m'am, you now make too much to qualify for
Section 8"

Nope. They'll simply raise the limits so they can control them with
the government handouts.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Richard wrote:
On 4/16/2015 7:03 PM, Bill wrote:
Richard wrote:
On 4/16/2015 5:08 PM, Bill wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote:
The point is that the customer shared the wealth of cost reductions.
Lew

Was a change of sentiment required to help achieve 8-digit CEO
salaries?
It seems like things may no longer be running in accordance with "the
book" you mentioned.
Internet technology at our fingertips, such as is facilitating our
conversation, might be an exception.

Bill

Not true, Bill.

Check out the incentives paid on Wall street to productive traders.

Productive traders, sometimes, are a little like a parasite --like
lawyers.

So are some posters...

Didn't wish to offend. It's just that they contribute as much as Poker
players -- Zero sum game.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/16/2015 3:15 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Gramps' shop wrote:
Can you still lift a 40# bag?

"Max" wrote:

I have to; that's what a bag of salt for the softener weighs and
SWMBO allows no excuses for running out of soft water.

There is always the old hand scoop.

Takes a little longer but the back doesn't complain as much.

Lew

One of these days. I'm only 82 but come October...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Richard" wrote:

GLASS? What's that?
Still got "long necks" in Texas don't they?

Lew

Ok. Got me on that one.
I was thinking soda.

Still around for some better brands in the 12 ounce bottles.

IBC Root Beer, for one.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/15/2015 3:05 PM, Leon wrote:

[...]

This is old but still interesting:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...s/op043097.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

Richard wrote:
On 4/16/2015 7:03 PM, Bill wrote:
Richard wrote:
On 4/16/2015 5:08 PM, Bill wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote:
The point is that the customer shared the wealth of cost reductions.
Lew

Was a change of sentiment required to help achieve 8-digit CEO
salaries?
It seems like things may no longer be running in accordance with "the
book" you mentioned.
Internet technology at our fingertips, such as is facilitating our
conversation, might be an exception.

Bill

Not true, Bill.

Check out the incentives paid on Wall street to productive traders.

Productive traders, sometimes, are a little like a parasite --like
lawyers.

So are some posters...

What does a "productive trader" accomplish besides moving money from
someone else's 401K into their own? You might look at the Mortgage
REIT's from 2008 as evidence of productive trading. All of this makes
for some (unnecessary) legal expenses, i.e. lawyers.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Richard wrote:
On 4/16/2015 9:26 PM, Bill wrote:
Richard wrote:
On 4/16/2015 7:03 PM, Bill wrote:
Richard wrote:
On 4/16/2015 5:08 PM, Bill wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote:
[...]

Thanks. For what it's worth, I'm actually pretty interested in stock
trading. But watching my guesses has kept me on the sideline. My
philosophy boils down to what goes way up is bound to come down a bit,
and vice-versa. But I watched NFLX (NetFlix) go up 45 yesterday in
after-hour trading (thinking that it might be a good quick short, or
opportunity to buy a put), and then it went up another 45 today. Geeze.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Max" wrote:
One of these days. I'm only 82 but come October...

I hit 78 this summer but "Artie" has been using my lower back
as a playground for the last few years.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/16/2015 4:59 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 16 Apr 2015 12:35:47 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 4/15/2015 10:31 PM, Richard wrote:
On 4/15/2015 9:45 PM,
wrote:

A "living wage" would increase business, because more people would
be able to afford to buy products. $7.50 is NOT a living wage. Nor is
$12.00.
It would increase prices somewhat, for sure - but overall it WOULD
improve the economy.

I KNOW it will never happen in the "greatest country on earth" because
it's not "the american way"

I'm not convinced it would cause prices to increase.
Might actually (or eventually) cause prices to decrease.
Increased production does that.

Yyou think giving a raise across the board would increase production?

In the formula that works you give a raise after the employee has proven
to be more productive. Give a raise with out improved performance to
begin with and there is no incentive to do better.

The ideal, in my way of looking at it, is minimum wage for no more
than 3 months "probation" after which you pay a "living wage". If in 3
months they don't convince you they are worth a "living wage" find
someone who is.
Might convince some to actually put some effort into a job.

The trouble is what is a living wage. A couple each making $10 per hour
and working 40+ hours a week can easily get by in Houston.
California? I think you would need $50 an hour. And that is the
problem, trying to live beyond your means and keeping up with the Jones.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/16/2015 5:03 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 16 Apr 2015 12:32:50 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 4/15/2015 9:45 PM,
wrote:
On Wed, 15 Apr 2015 21:22:35 -0400, krw wrote:

On Wed, 15 Apr 2015 16:12:43 -0400, "dadiOH"
wrote:

Lew Hodgett wrote:
wrote:

snip
Now, the $15 an hour folks want the most menial jobs, the jobs with
the least skill level, the jobs that provided by employers that
suffer all those that come and go as first time employees to be paid
a "livable" wage. Regardless of their work history (if any), skill
level, employment history or lack thereof, an employer will be
required to pay almost double what they are paying now for minimum
wage employees.
snip
If a job has to be done, then it deserves a living wage to get it
done.

Not all entry level jobs are done by pimple faced kids looking for
some
pocket money.

Many of these people earning a minimum wage are trying to support
a family unit which isn't going to happen at $10/hr much less the
$7.50/hr
federal minimum wage.

If the $15/hour minimum wage gets enacted it will raise the standard
of living of the whole economy except for the top 1% which will be
asked to pay for it.

Lew, if raising the minimum wage would enable all to enjoy a better standard
of living (except for the 1% of course then why haven't the two dozen +
raises in it over the last 70 years accomplished that end?

The only thing raising the mnimum wage does is raise all prices.

...and decrease employment.
A "living wage" would increase business, because more people would
be able to afford to buy products. $7.50 is NOT a living wage. Nor is
$12.00.
It would increase prices somewhat, for sure - but overall it WOULD
improve the economy.

I KNOW it will never happen in the "greatest country on earth" because
it's not "the american way"

You simply cannot reward low productivity. If the workers were worth
more the they would be paid more or they could move on.

Sadly it doesn't work that way. There are not enough jobs paying a
living wage to employ at lot of hard working marginal employees., and
too many employers that are just too happy to take advantage of those
who need a job too badly to complain.

Actually it does work that way.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/16/2015 6:23 PM, Richard wrote:
On 4/16/2015 12:32 PM, Leon wrote:

You simply cannot reward low productivity. If the workers were worth
more the they would be paid more or they could move on.

ASSuming, of course, that there are other jobs to move on to?

Life is not a free ride and often not fair. Giving unwarranted raises
just makes the economy a little better for a few months and then
corrects and becomes worse. This is where we are after numerous minimum
wage increases.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/16/2015 7:26 PM, Richard wrote:
On 4/16/2015 6:39 PM, dadiOH wrote:
Richard wrote:
On 4/16/2015 12:32 PM, Leon wrote:

You simply cannot reward low productivity. If the workers were worth
more the they would be paid more or they could move on.

ASSuming, of course, that there are other jobs to move on to?

Every year, 1000s and 1000s of people make their own jobs.

with 300 million people here, that's insignificant.

It would be much much higher if more wanted to make their own jobs. But
you have those wanting the government to step in and help out.
Any time the government helps out it encourages more to do less and for
poverty to go up.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/16/2015 4:15 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Gramps' shop wrote:
Can you still lift a 40# bag?

"Max" wrote:

I have to; that's what a bag of salt for the softener weighs and
SWMBO allows no excuses for running out of soft water.

There is always the old hand scoop.

Takes a little longer but the back doesn't complain as much.

Lew

So how do you get the salt to the hand scoop?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/15/2015 5:19 PM, Bill wrote:
John Grossbohlin wrote:

...and without mentioning that they also are a very low grade bolt or
screw! I've been sticking to a local hardware store for most of my
fasteners as they stock higher quality fasteners for the professionals
to whom they cater. The funny thing is that the better quality
fasteners at the local hardware store are often significantly less
expensive than the poor quality stuff at Home Depot and Lowe's. Home
Depot and Lowe's have got to be making a killing on fasteners!

I think they offer them more as a "convenience" than as a profit
center. Like a "loss leader".

Pretty much.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/16/2015 9:36 AM, John McCoy wrote:
Bill wrote in
:

John Grossbohlin wrote:

Depot and Lowe's have got to be making a killing on fasteners!

I think they offer them more as a "convenience" than as a profit
center. Like a "loss leader".

Considering the manpower required to keep the shelves stocked
with all those little bags and boxes, and the losses from the
parts thrown on the floor by people frustrated at finding them
in the wrong bins, they probably do take a loss on them.

I suspect that's part of the reason my local HD replaced an
aisle of hinges, latches, and similar hardware with motor
oil and windshield wipers. Bigger packages, thus less labor
to keep stocked. (that, and random addle-headed thinking by
management - with an auto parts store on the other side of
the intersection, who's going to go to HD for auto parts?)

John

Anyone that goes to HD often will buy those items rather than make a
special trip to the AP store.
Those items are what every one buys. Grocery stores sell the same auto
maintenance items.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/16/2015 12:31 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
John McCoy wrote:

I suspect that's part of the reason my local HD replaced an
aisle of hinges, latches, and similar hardware with motor
oil and windshield wipers. Bigger packages, thus less labor
to keep stocked. (that, and random addle-headed thinking by
management - with an auto parts store on the other side of
the intersection, who's going to go to HD for auto parts?)

As bizarre as the reasoning seems - they really do that more in an effort to
take your money while you are in the store, and not because bigger is easier
to stock. I absolutely never heard anything like that in any management
meetings in retail. In fact - this is the only place I have ever heard such
a thing. It just is not a real world, daily consideration. They look to
sell what people buy, and to have that on the aisles to capture your money
while you're in the store. It's that simple and the other thoughts about
people, weights, etc. are just rubbish.

Same goes for chewing gum and candy that is sold at HD. If it is
something that the customer buys normally it saves the customer the
extra trip for that item.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/15/2015 3:05 PM, Leon wrote:

Well that is how you and I think but is a sad statement that most people
pay for their fun before their necessities.

Many years ago I worked for a company that made hobby products (mostly
doe model airplanes) When the economy went bad and unemployment went
up, so did out sales. No work time, so, more time for hobby.

Well, when I was out of a job, my Home Depot budget went through the
roof. ;-) Just because you're not working doesn't mean you're broke.

It sure does if you've never made more than minimum wage, or never
made a "living wage"
A large percentage of North American families are one paycheck away
from "broke".
And a large percentage of them are hard working folks who try, but
will never get ahead.

And why is that. If you give a man a fish or an unearned pay increase,
you feed him for a day or give him extra cash to spend for a short
period. If you teach the man to catch his own fish or earn a better
living he will always have a meal or think of himself as the provider
vs. the government being the provider.
Of give them all trophies and watch the economy spiral down.

There are enough of them looking for work with a
"living wage" that an employer does not need to hire someone who is
not worth their wages.
Yes, that will leave the unemployable unemployed.
There will need to be programs to give those who CAN NOT do the jobs
that pay a living wage.
Likely need to be programs for those who won't work as well - like
wellfare - which we already have.

How about the program of living with other family members if they can't
make it on their own.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote:

So how do you get the salt to the hand scoop?

A 2 wheeler will get the job done.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, April 17, 2015 at 1:45:49 AM UTC-4, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Leon" wrote:

So how do you get the salt to the hand scoop?

A 2 wheeler will get the job done.

Lew

So how do you get the salt to the 2 wheeler?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Richard wrote:
On 4/16/2015 12:32 PM, Leon wrote:

You simply cannot reward low productivity. If the workers were
worth more the they would be paid more or they could move on.

ASSuming, of course, that there are other jobs to move on to?

Every year, 1000s and 1000s of people make their own jobs.

with 300 million people here, that's insignificant.

OK, make it 10,000s and 10,000s of thousands. Or hundreds of thousands. Or
millions.

The point is that a lot of people forge off on their own by starting their
own business. It is a viable option. Sure, many fall but many also
succeed. Succeed and grow. WTF do you think is providing employment for
the groan 300 millon people?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking

Richard wrote:
On 4/16/2015 6:58 PM, dadiOH wrote:
Richard wrote:
You seem to have a pretty low opinion of "most people", dadiOH.

If you buy the same item over and over and over for a lengthy
period, do you check the unit price each time? I sure don't. And I
don't care if the package contains less for the same price...that's
because I know inflation is ever with us (in recent decades). That
doesn'y meanI don't think the practice is sneaky, I do.

I have a low opinion of a lot of people. Many of them are those who
feel entitled to all life's goodies just because they were born. Others
are those who enrich themselves by running over everyone in
their way and/or by deceit and lies. Still others are those who
whine and moan about their condition but do nothing to alleviate it.
I have a low opinion of those who price their goods or services
depending upon what they think the current sucker - pardon, customer
- will pay. I have a VERY low opinion of those in office who sell
out to whomever. There are more but you get the idea.
So I' curious...
Are you part of "most people"

Of course not, I am way smarter

Then why aren't you checking the prices that you see to think
shouldn't change?

And I
don't care if the package contains less for the same price...that's
because I know inflation is ever with us (in recent decades).

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/17/2015 12:45 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Leon" wrote:

So how do you get the salt to the hand scoop?

A 2 wheeler will get the job done.

Lew

A two wheeler will not lift the bag into or out of you vehicle or
shopping cart.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Richard wrote:
On 4/16/2015 12:32 PM, Leon wrote:

You simply cannot reward low productivity. If the workers were
worth more the they would be paid more or they could move on.

ASSuming, of course, that there are other jobs to move on to?

Every year, 1000s and 1000s of people make their own jobs.

with 300 million people here, that's insignificant.

OK, make it 10,000s and 10,000s of thousands. Or hundreds of thousands. Or
millions.

The point is that a lot of people forge off on their own by starting their
own business. It is a viable option. Sure, many fall but many also
succeed. Succeed and grow.

WTF do you think is providing employment for
the groan 300 millon people?

Most think the government. LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 16 Apr 2015 13:22:40 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 4/16/2015 12:26 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

I bought a 6 pack (bottles) of a particular beer I wanted to try.
Picked up the carrier, paid, took it home. At the dinner table I
took a look and the bottle is only 11.2 ounces. Honestly, would you
have thought to check? Beer has been in 12 ounce bottles since I was
a kid and now it is 11.2. Sleazy, IMO. No, I did not buy any more
of it.

Check that label again. I'd bet you a dollar it was bottled in the UK
or Canada.
Aren't you a fan of the metric system? Because that's what's to blame
for that. 11.2oz is 330ml, which rounds of to 1/3 of a liter.

You owe me a buck. It is made about 40 miles from me. It may be a
metric bottle though.
http://spencerbrewery.com/?success=ok

Once again, no one's trying to deceive you. I'm not aware of any US
breweries making the switch yet. But it wouldn't surprise me in the
least, since all of the "Big 3" US beer manufacturers are now foreign
owned companies.

I've not take the time to check, but in the past, imported beer was in
12 ounce bottles sold in the US. Could have changed as I don't buy that
much beer, I do buy one from Canada and it is 12 ounces.

Stella is 11.2 Oz in the bottle.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote:

So how do you get the salt to the hand scoop?

A 2 wheeler will get the job done.

Lew

A two wheeler will not lift the bag into or out of you vehicle or
shopping cart.

I have someone at the store load it for me and, fortunately, I have two
good neighbors who have already offered to unload it at home. So far
I've been able to decline the help but I always smile and tell
them..."someday". These are neighbors I have done a few favors for in
the past, welding, cutting a piece of plywood down to size, etc.
("pay it forward")
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote:

So how do you get the salt to the hand scoop?
A 2 wheeler will get the job done.

Lew

A two wheeler will not lift the bag into or out of you vehicle or
shopping cart.

I have someone at the store load it for me and, fortunately, I have two
good neighbors who have already offered to unload it at home. So far
I've been able to decline the help but I always smile and tell
them..."someday". These are neighbors I have done a few favors for in
the past, welding, cutting a piece of plywood down to size, etc.
("pay it forward")

Since we are 285 posts into this thread, I'm lost. Are you talking about the 40 lb bag of softener salt or the Harbor Freight Drill Press that started this monster? ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

"DerbyDad03" wrote:

So how do you get the salt to the 2 wheeler?

You take the scoop to the salt.G

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"DerbyDad03" wrote:

So how do you get the salt to the 2 wheeler?

You take the scoop to the salt.G

Lew

Lowes frowns upon that type of activity.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote:

A two wheeler will not lift the bag into or out of you vehicle or
shopping cart.

You get the supplier to load the bags of salt into the vehicle.

You take the scoop to the salt in the vehicle.

At this point if you use the scoop to load the 2 wheeler or
bypass the 2 wheeler all together is optional.

It all depends on what the old back will allow.

Do as my mother, who was still living alone at 102, did.

The guy who sold her the water softener as well as the salt
would deliver it and load it into the water softener.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote:

So how do you get the salt to the hand scoop?
A 2 wheeler will get the job done.

Lew

A two wheeler will not lift the bag into or out of you vehicle or
shopping cart.

I have someone at the store load it for me and, fortunately, I have two
good neighbors who have already offered to unload it at home. So far
I've been able to decline the help but I always smile and tell
them..."someday". These are neighbors I have done a few favors for in
the past, welding, cutting a piece of plywood down to size, etc.
("pay it forward")

Since we are 285 posts into this thread, I'm lost. Are you talking about the 40 lb bag of softener salt or the Harbor Freight Drill Press that started this monster? ;-)

Summarizing; :-)
"so how do you get the salt to the hand scoop?"

I have someone at the store...yada..yada..

Having said that, I can't justify buying Bosch, Milwaukee, Festool, etc.
and harbor Freight for such items as drill presses. On the other hand I
might buy a hammer or some other seldom needed tool at the "cheap"
store. Now that Northern Tool has a store here I would just rather skip
Harbor Freight (and their discourteous staff)
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote:

A two wheeler will not lift the bag into or out of you vehicle or
shopping cart.

You get the supplier to load the bags of salt into the vehicle.

You take the scoop to the salt in the vehicle.

At this point if you use the scoop to load the 2 wheeler or
bypass the 2 wheeler all together is optional.

It all depends on what the old back will allow.

Do as my mother, who was still living alone at 102, did.

The guy who sold her the water softener as well as the salt
would deliver it and load it into the water softener.

Lew

We had that option with our "Rainsoft" unit but as long as I can I will
persevere. ;-) It has occurred to me that placing the end of the bag
on the tailgate and "spilling" the salt into a bucket might be a less
strenuous method. Ya do what ya gotta do.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote:

[...]

Typically Northern tool by faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar out classes Harbor
Freight. They actually sell well known name brand tools too.