Posted to rec.woodworking
krw[_6_] krw[_6_] is offline

Default Harbor Fright Down Grades Quality Again

On Wed, 15 Apr 2015 22:52:03 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 4/15/2015 10:05 PM, krw wrote:

Raising the minimum wage would save billions in subsidies to McDonalds
and Walmart (etc) employees.

Absurd.

I'm not sure Back a couple of centuries ago (1963) I had a minimum wage
job and was able to support myself, pay for college and buy a 2 year old
car.

Yes, yes, and yes. I couldn't afford a large color television (or any
television, for that matter), cable, or many other *luxuries* that are
considered "necessities" today.

Today, many minimum wage workers are getting subsidized healthcare and
food stamps.

Ok, it would save money if the unemployable were cut off from the
perks of employment. Raising the minimum wage would only increase
prices and lose those jobs the entry workers need.

What is different? See my other post bout inflation and comparitive
value. My $1.55 per hour then is equal to $11.89 today. Minimum wage
has not kept up.

Minimum wage was *never* expected to be a comfortable wage, yet people
thing it should be. It's an entry wage (which should be zero).