Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Table Saw purchase question

On 3/11/2014 11:07 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 3/11/2014 9:10 AM, Leon wrote:

I can see an insurance company recommending the SawStop but to demand
what equipment you use will probably not fly. Unless laws dictates
such, they too could be found liable in a case where the SawStop
might fail for what ever reason.

Most likely they would have the demand in the form of premiums.

If you insure with us and you use SawStop (or equal) $X
If you keep your old equipment where you took the guards off, $X
times 10.

I could see that happening in my own mind but I wonder if they can actually
do that or not. I know there are areas where they can charge higher
premiums based on risk - such as the cost to insure a Corvette compared to a
Honda Civic, but most states regulate the insurance carriers and there are
(at least some) restrictions on how they do that. Not being well versed in
the business of insurance, I don't know. There is a lot of misunderstand
about what insurance companies can do. It's common here to see people state
that your insurance company can deny a claim because your house burns down
due to faulty wiring that you installed. Not true at all, but I just don't
know how far they can really go.

Sure they can, my home owners premiums went down and I received, IIRC,
a $250 credit every year for having a metal roof put on my house many
years ago. Often items that are more likely to be more risk or less
risk will affect the price.

But Auto insurance is another matter entirely.

And actually your credit score has more to do with auto insurance
premiums differences between a Corvette and a Civic than Actual risk,
assuming both are owned and insured by the same person.

My son, age 25 at the time and 26 now, was discussing this with his
insurance agent. He owns an 84 Corvette in almost mint condition and an
05 Cavalier. Premium differences between the two are not much. IIRC
the Corvette is less expensive with an antique style policy. His credit
score has more to do with his rates than anything. My son was concerned
about buying a new Lexus and how much his rates would go up. Less than
$25~$40 per year difference by dropping the 9 year old Cavalier and
buying the 2014 Lexus.

As an example he gave the rates for a new Accord for a couple with a
less than desirable credit score. They would have paid about 2.5 time
more for the new Accord policy as my son would for the Lexus policy.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 11 Mar 2014 12:44:40 -0400, FrozenNorth
Old tank was nearly 60 years old, I put in a new tank, double walled
with a float in between, first tank leaks, float rises and I know I have
to get another tank. Just pass on the insurance.

Unfortunately, that is not an option in many instances. Many or most
businesses have to have insurance(s) to operate.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/11/2014 10:03 AM, wrote:
On Tue, 11 Mar 2014 09:09:12 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
SawStop seems to be a complete success story and the direction that
SawStop is going will lead the industry. I believe that the vast
majority of the people will want a saw with this technology.

To me, it's common sense just like a seatbelt. A seatbelt has saved my
life in the past. And, aside from all the rhetoric about costs,
SawStop seems like a common sense item too.

It is absolutely a common sense thing. But many people let their
emotions factor in on their decisions. If you simply factor in nothing
but facts the choice become more clear. For example new car dealers
want you to take that test drive. The excitement of driving a new
vehicle helps to sell the vehicle. Now having said that we had to help
bail out GM and many people are not going to want to have any thing to
do with a company that had to be bailed out by the government. Does
this make their vehicles a bad choice? Yes if you now hate GM, "maybe
not' if you look strictly at the vehicle itself.

This whole disagreement on the SawStop is mostly based on whether you
have a dislike for the SawStop product because of it's owner or if you
simply judge the product on it's own merits. Again if you let emotion
play a part of your decision making you may not get the best deal on
paper. As with anything you buy if you are happy with your decision you
got a good deal for you. We like to buy what we like whether what we
like is a good product or not. When we put aside the good feeling and
look only at the facts we make better decisions.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/11/2014 11:45 AM, Max wrote:
On 3/11/2014 8:09 AM, Leon wrote:

Today seeing how many of the manufacturers are really struggling to stay
afloat I can see how the possibility of buying in now would be a
struggle. To me it looks like the manufacturers put too much emphasis
on cost 10 or so years ago vs. investing in their futures. If that was
the case, most probably made a bad business decision and they appear to
be falling farther behind. And given the talk about the technology
being too expensive to buy for the consumer it appears that the consumer
is not as concerned with the cost of the SawStop as many had thought. I
seriously doubt that the SawStop technology will ever be mandated. The
SawStop seems to be a complete success story and the direction that
SawStop is going will lead the industry. I believe that the vast
majority of the people will want a saw with this technology.

It will still be a cost-benefit decision. Those who can afford $1000
*maximum* for a saw will be limited in what they choose.
A business, however, will have a different perspective.

That is absolutely true but not unique in it's own right. Many people
are not going to be able to afford any saw that they buy regardless of
price and will cut back somewhere else. Unfortunately the economy is
in the shape it is in mostly because a majority of the people bite off
more than they can chew and are absolutely not prepared for a rainy day.
Then there is inflation which makes most every thing go up in price and
very seldom adds any value.

SawStop technology is not unique in driving up prices. The automobile
industry is a prime example of safety costing all of us more.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/11/2014 1:57 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
FrozenNorth wrote:
On 3/11/2014 12:22 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
FrozenNorth wrote:
On 3/11/2014 11:05 AM, wrote:
On Tue, 11 Mar 2014 10:56:34 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
Interesting statement Dave - what makes you say that?

Because Rob Lee told me that they 'recommended' them.

It is no different than my insurance company, they stopped covering
a fuel oil tank in my basement, of course the rate didn't drop. But
they will cover it still, if I pay for a separate rider on my
policy, price was crazy stupid.

That is just stupid. But...

Old tank was nearly 60 years old, I put in a new tank, double walled
with a float in between, first tank leaks, float rises and I know I
have to get another tank. Just pass on the insurance.

So - I can understand (maybe...) not insuring the old tank (biut that's just
a maybe...), but with new tank technology, that just does not make any
sense. Maybe someone in the insurance industry can explain how many claims
have been paid out for basement fuel oil tanks over the years. With all of
the years I spent in the fire service, and with what I observe in the daily
news, it just does not seem there is a real threat here. Seems to me to
more of a profit motive.

My thoughts exactly, the new tank warns me when the inner tank fails,
then I have time to get the tank replaced before the outer tank fails.
I called the insurance company told them what was now installed, and
they had no clue what I was talking about. For that tank to fail, I
would have to take up basement spear tossing as a hobby, or the rest of
the house crashed down on it.

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 3/11/2014 9:10 AM, Leon wrote:

[...]

Ok - and how did that differ from what I stated above?

But Auto insurance is another matter entirely.

And actually your credit score has more to do with auto insurance
premiums differences between a Corvette and a Civic than Actual risk,
assuming both are owned and insured by the same person.

Oh Leon... you have to go back on that one. Look at what you wrote...
"assuming both are owned and insured by the same person" means that credit
rating is completely irrelevant.

My son, age 25 at the time and 26 now, was discussing this with his
insurance agent. He owns an 84 Corvette in almost mint condition and
an 05 Cavalier. Premium differences between the two are not much.

I find that very hard to believe, but maybe things are different down in
Texas than they are in NY. In NY that would never be the case. The
Corvette is a much more expensive car to insure based on repair costs.

IIRC the Corvette is less expensive with an antique style policy.

That may be true if it falls withing the classic auto category, but that is
a category that is not as obvious at it may appear.

His credit score has more to do with his rates than anything. My son
was concerned about buying a new Lexus and how much his rates would
go up. Less than $25~$40 per year difference by dropping the 9 year
old Cavalier and buying the 2014 Lexus.

I don't know myself, but I would not be surprised if credit score did play
into things since it seems to play into everything these days. In NY if you
buy any new car, it is most likely your rates will go up from whatever you
insured before (unless it was something exotic). Here, you could not step
from say a Hyundai Sonata to a Lexus without a significant rate increase.
Hell you can't even step from a 5 year old Sonata to a brand new Sonata
without a significant rate increase.

It seems that different states regulate things differently, so we have to be
careful how much we try to generalize these experiences.

As an example he gave the rates for a new Accord for a couple with a
less than desirable credit score. They would have paid about 2.5 time
more for the new Accord policy as my son would for the Lexus policy.

So I just tried the same thing with an on-line insurance offering. I used
my own information which is a high credit rating. My friend then did the
very same thing with a miserable credit rating. Premiums are the same.
Must be a state by state thing.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 11 Mar 2014 14:00:10 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
Very true in what you say Dave, but how does that correlate to the original
post?

Which original post are you referring to?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 11 Mar 2014 14:10:38 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
This whole conversation is getting way out of hand. Yes - Leon is right in
some respects, but not in total. Banks do not unilaterly just purchase
insurance that they think you need or even that insurance companys are
pushing. It really pays to talk to people who really know and not pay any
attention to internet newsgroup advice.

A little off topic, but I think that might depend on what the
insurance is for and the value of what you're insuring. For a home
mortgage as an example, I believe that unless your down payment is a
certain percentage, you have to have insurance on your mortgage.

Perhaps a Canadian home owner can comment on this.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

It is absolutely a common sense thing. But many people let their
emotions factor in on their decisions.

Well - of course we do - we are people. If you try to deny that you don't
do the same, I'm going to have to call you on that. You may feel that you
are totally logical, but that is only based on how you, or I, or anyone else
views our own sense of logic. I will assure you - there is no such thing as
a totally logical person on the face of this earth.

If you simply factor in
nothing but facts

Caution Will Robinson... the word "facts" has lots of defintions, depending
on the perspective of the definer.

the choice become more clear. For example new car
dealers want you to take that test drive. The excitement of driving
a new vehicle helps to sell the vehicle. Now having said that we had
to help bail out GM and many people are not going to want to have any
thing to do with a company that had to be bailed out by the
government. Does this make their vehicles a bad choice? Yes if you
now hate GM, "maybe not' if you look strictly at the vehicle itself.

Ummmmm... giving you a lot of room on this one Leon, but it really does not
make any sense. There are lots of reasons why people would never buy
another GM product again, from experiences, to dislike of the bailout, to
dislike of their continued denial of problems (like the Cavalier) that are
costing lives every year. You have painted way to broad of a brush
statement above. Just can't accept that one.

This whole disagreement on the SawStop is mostly based on whether you
have a dislike for the SawStop product because of it's owner or if you
simply judge the product on it's own merits.

Sorry - but wrong again Leon. People have articulated other reasons that
may not seem so different from what you say above but you can't allow
yourself to lump things into categories that make sense to you. Even if
those arguments are only slightly different from what you see, they are
still different. And - those are their thoughts.

Again if you let emotion
play a part of your decision making you may not get the best deal on
paper.

Oh hell Leon - be honest - we all do that. Even you - and your wife...

As with anything you buy if you are happy with your decision
you got a good deal for you.

Agreed!

We like to buy what we like whether
what we like is a good product or not. When we put aside the good
feeling and look only at the facts we make better decisions.

There is that word "facts" again. Facts are only facts in the eye of those
who believe in those "facts".

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:
Leon wrote:
On 3/11/2014 12:02 PM, FrozenNorth wrote:
On 3/11/2014 12:58 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 11 Mar 2014 12:44:40 -0400, FrozenNorth
Old tank was nearly 60 years old, I put in a new tank, double
walled with a float in between, first tank leaks, float rises and
I know I have to get another tank. Just pass on the insurance.

Unfortunately, that is not an option in many instances. Many or
most businesses have to have insurance(s) to operate.

Yep, but I just passed on the oil tank coverage, still covered for
all the other usual stuff.

A serious question here. What if the tank leaks and causes a fire
that damages the rest of the house? will the rest of the house be
covered then? I think I would make darn sure that you are OK given
the fact that the tank is no longer insured.

Don't know about Canadian law, but here in NY - he'd be covered for
the loss of the house. What he would not be covered for is any costs
if the tank simply leaked and caused damages such as to surrounding
things like a floor, or other contents. It pays to understand what
your insurance is really covering. Too many questions asked here
that are made obvious by looking at one's policy.

Ooops... just talked to a friend who is in the insurance industry. In NY,
if they take your policy, you are covered. So my comment above that if the
tank leaked and caused damages... is incorrect. It is covered by law in NY.
Apparently, in most of the US. Do not know about Canada.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 11 Mar 2014 14:18:51 -0400, FrozenNorth
I called the insurance company told them what was now installed, and
they had no clue what I was talking about. For that tank to fail, I
would have to take up basement spear tossing as a hobby, or the rest of
the house crashed down on it.

Many of those who eschew the idea of a SawStop, feel the same way as
you do about your oil tank. Agreed, one maybe more likely to have a
tablesaw accident than an oil tank failing catastrophically, but
accident's can and do happen. The only way to deal with it is to be as
logical and unemotional about it as possible, and then make your
choice. It sounds like you've done that with your oil tank.

Posted to rec.woodworking

FrozenNorth wrote:
On 3/11/2014 11:05 AM, wrote:
[...]

It might be worth the effort to call them to your premise. I don't know how
things work up there, but when I first insured my house, they wanted to
force me into flood insurance. I explained and showed them topo maps of the
surrounding area indicating that I was 50 feet above the flood plane. No
luck. Out of desperation, I finally asked both the bank and the insurance
company out to see the surroundings and to explain to me why I should pay
these added fees. They came out. It was brain-dead obvious once they got
here, but you couldn't convince them of that prior to the trip out.
Sheese...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 11 Mar 2014 15:00:48 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
It is absolutely a common sense thing. But many people let their
emotions factor in on their decisions.

Well - of course we do - we are people. If you try to deny that you don't
do the same, I'm going to have to call you on that. You may feel that you
are totally logical, but that is only based on how you, or I, or anyone else
views our own sense of logic. I will assure you - there is no such thing as
a totally logical person on the face of this earth.

Of course there's always emotions involved, but there's different
types and different levels of emotions. You just have to stifle them
as much as you can and go from there. If you go into something where
logic is required and you're too angry or too upset, then you're going
to have a problem.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

This discussion is not so much about right or wrong so much as can you
afford to defend yourself if you don't have liability insurance.

Just a comment (since you were thoughtful enough to consider my "green
night-crawler case"). Some entity that doesn't have enough resources
to defend itself, probably doesn't make much of a legal target. Of
course, I'm sure there is a middle ground where it is profitable...

BTW, I appreciate you pointing out the tactic that car-salesman might
use--to get you behind the wheel to give you the "new car rush". It has
never occurred to me.

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 11 Mar 2014 15:38:18 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
Not trying to start an argument here, but where is the logical
and unemotional evidence behind that statement?

Not sure how I can answer that. Given the right set of circumstances,
I'd buy a SawStop in a second. While being aware of Gass' attempts to
have the SawStop mandated, the idea of it happening didn't phase me
for a second ~ even if I did live in the US. Since I feel that there's
very little I can do about something like that if it was up here, I
don't let it bother me.

When it comes to buying things, I consider myself to be as unemotional
and logical as I can get. Let me give you an example.

When I was considering the purchase of a Domino, I used Leon for much
of my information on the tool. Leon will attest to this. I must have
traded several dozen emails with him asking questions. I didn't then
and never have complained or spouted off about the cost of a Festool
product ~ as many have. Once I was satisfied with his opinion, an
opinion on tools that I trust. I went out and bought one.

I've done pretty much the same with the SawStop. I've examined them
very closely, asked questions that were important to me and prepared
myself *if* the time ever came where I would have the place where I
could use one. Never once, have I let the cost of a SawStop sway me
because my logic told me that it was an excellent tool with a safety
feature that no other tool to my knowledge could match. It just seems
logical to me. In the meantime, I use a tablesaw stored in a friend's
garage.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 11 Mar 2014 15:40:10 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
Yes, in that exreme, I do agree. I do not however agree that there has been
a tremenous amount of logic and unemotion thought in this thread. A lot of
assertions, but I don't see much of that valued logic stuff.

Well, that's slightly different. Almost every time, the SawStop has
been discussed, I've gotten into it with krw. That is emotion driven
because we thoroughly detest each other. That's different only because
the discussion is online. If the conversations we've had were in
person, I'm sure we'd have tried to beat the crap out of each other.
We can't do that online, so pent up emotions get let loose.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message
On 3/10/2014 5:10 PM, Bill wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote:
Leon wrote:

Yes it is BUT many bars have been held liable for over serving
customers that were involved in an accident. The bar did not make
the spirits and they did not make the customer drink the drink....

Yes, but that's quite a bit different.

I agree. I doubt that even Leon even believes it at this point.

What I believe and what I think is right are two different things.

I believe that it is not beyond a possibility that if you are in any way
involved or associated with any form of delivery of a product that may at
any time cause harm to the end user that an ambulance chaser has you on
his radar.

Is that right? no. IMHO only the manufacturer of a defective product
should be held liable. No one in between.

In the case of the bar I believe the point of contention is that said
bar continued to serve alcohol to someone who was [obviously?] inebriated.
I don't believe it stops with bars or clubs that sell alcohol. I know of a
case where alcohol was served to under aged kids some of which, having left
that party, were involved in an auto accident resulting in fatalities. Home
owners/parents were indeed sued.

Dave in SoTex

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote:

Update:

This is a better link:

http://tinyurl.com/cz2lu

Lew
"Lew Hodgett" wrote:

wrote:

hey guys, i am looking to purchase a new table saw.......have a
10 year
old craftsman contractor saw and need to upgrade. i will have to
put it
into my basement with limited space, so looking for decent
contractor saw.
This Grizzly
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Cont...tyle-Saw/G0732
is the saw i am leaning towards purchasing. are there any better
options in
this price range?

In this day and age you owe it to yourself to take a serious look
at
SawStop products.

There are several on the wrec who have purchased SawStop within the
last
5 years who can comment on specifics.

http://tinyurl.com/m56fx57

Have fun

Lew

Who would have thought this simple post would generate 170 responses?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/11/2014 1:10 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Leon wrote:
On 3/11/2014 11:58 AM, wrote:
On Tue, 11 Mar 2014 12:44:40 -0400, FrozenNorth
Old tank was nearly 60 years old, I put in a new tank, double walled
with a float in between, first tank leaks, float rises and I know I
have to get another tank. Just pass on the insurance.

Unfortunately, that is not an option in many instances. Many or most
businesses have to have insurance(s) to operate.

And or if they have a mortgage on that property. Lenders do not let
you go without protection for their investments.
They will in a heart beat buy the insurance for you and add it into
your escrow payments and not give a second thought to what insurance
rates you will be paying.

This whole conversation is getting way out of hand. Yes - Leon is right in
some respects, but not in total. Banks do not unilaterly just purchase
insurance that they think you need or even that insurance companys are
pushing. It really pays to talk to people who really know and not pay any
attention to internet newsgroup advice.

Well what i said is true, a lender is going to require that you have
insurance to protect their investment.

Also true is that they don't care from whom they get it and or pay for
it if you let your policy lapse.

This is most likely and actually almost happened to me. I learned early
on that escrow is a estimation of what annual costs are going to be.
Any thing that can threaten to diminish the lenders interest will be
covered in the escrow account. Unfortunately the escrow account was/is
often over estimated.

Because I got tired of my payments going up back in the 80's because of
over estimations I elected to buy the insurance up front and send proof
to the lender. They accepted that and reduced my escrow to only cover
taxes. Some how or another the following year the insurance company
that had been covering my house did not verify that I was no longer a
customer and told the lender that my policy had expired, because the
lender quit paying the insurance, of course. The lender upped my escrow
again to pay for the insurance from the company that they normally used.
I had to go through the ordeal again and once again they reduced the
escrow. That never happened again after I told my insurance company to
every year send proof of coverage to my lender.

During this period of getting the issue resolved the lender did indicate
that they will insure any property that they have an interest in
themselves and pass the cost on to the borrower. It is part of the
mortgage agreement.
Posted to rec.woodworking

FrozenNorth wrote:
On 3/11/2014 11:05 AM, wrote:
[...]

I went through that and was about 1' above the expensive zone. I paid
to have an elevation survey, about $250 in 2006. Shortly after Katrina
satellites were used to determine flood zones. While $250 sounds like a
lot of money it was the only way I kept my flood premium from going from
$234 a year to $3600 after the satellite rezoning. Unfortunately my
rated did go up but to only $59o after submitting that the satellite
elevations were wrong.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 11 Mar 2014 15:05:33 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

On Tue, 11 Mar 2014 14:10:38 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
This whole conversation is getting way out of hand. Yes - Leon is
right in some respects, but not in total. Banks do not unilaterly
just purchase insurance that they think you need or even that
insurance companys are pushing. It really pays to talk to people
who really know and not pay any attention to internet newsgroup
advice.

A little off topic, but I think that might depend on what the
insurance is for and the value of what you're insuring. For a home
mortgage as an example, I believe that unless your down payment is a
certain percentage, you have to have insurance on your mortgage.

Down here Dave, if you have a mortgage, you have to maintain insurance.

You have to maintain insurance to cover casualty losses (not contents
or liability) for at least the amount of the mortgage. That's not
law, though, rather a normal part of the mortgage contract.

That said - that statement has nothing at all to do with the discussion at
hand.