Posted to rec.woodworking

Default For those of you in the south that got heavy snow accumulations

For those of you not in snow country..
Some of you got dumped on..

It pays to get the snow off the 1st 2 feet of the roof. I have a snow
rake and get about 4 feet off. But assuming most of you southerners
don't have it.

Take a broom and try to get the 2 feet at the bottom of your roofs
cleared. It may save you lots of money in rotted wood, or your shop if
you have a basement shop.

Years ago the ice damn caused a lot of water to run inside the house and
it travelled the joists and soaked a lot of wood and also rusted a lot
of stuff.

Just an FYI..

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/29/2014 11:59 AM, woodchucker wrote:
For those of you not in snow country..
Some of you got dumped on..

It pays to get the snow off the 1st 2 feet of the roof. I have a snow
rake and get about 4 feet off. But assuming most of you southerners
don't have it.

Take a broom and try to get the 2 feet at the bottom of your roofs
cleared. It may save you lots of money in rotted wood, or your shop if
you have a basement shop.

Years ago the ice damn caused a lot of water to run inside the house and
it travelled the joists and soaked a lot of wood and also rusted a lot
of stuff.

Your roof isn't constructed right. If it was, what you describe
wouldn't happen.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/29/2014 2:34 PM, Just Wondering wrote:
On 1/29/2014 11:59 AM, woodchucker wrote:
For those of you not in snow country..
Some of you got dumped on..

It pays to get the snow off the 1st 2 feet of the roof. I have a snow
rake and get about 4 feet off. But assuming most of you southerners
don't have it.

Take a broom and try to get the 2 feet at the bottom of your roofs
cleared. It may save you lots of money in rotted wood, or your shop if
you have a basement shop.

Years ago the ice damn caused a lot of water to run inside the house and
it travelled the joists and soaked a lot of wood and also rusted a lot
of stuff.

Your roof isn't constructed right. If it was, what you describe
wouldn't happen.

Yep, I have never worried about it in Canada is the 17 years I have been
in this house, never a problem. Those in the deep south do not need to
worry, it will all be melted in a couple days anyway.

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/29/2014 2:34 PM, Just Wondering wrote:
On 1/29/2014 11:59 AM, woodchucker wrote:
For those of you not in snow country..
Some of you got dumped on..

It pays to get the snow off the 1st 2 feet of the roof. I have a snow
rake and get about 4 feet off. But assuming most of you southerners
don't have it.

Take a broom and try to get the 2 feet at the bottom of your roofs
cleared. It may save you lots of money in rotted wood, or your shop if
you have a basement shop.

Years ago the ice damn caused a lot of water to run inside the house and
it travelled the joists and soaked a lot of wood and also rusted a lot
of stuff.

Your roof isn't constructed right. If it was, what you describe
wouldn't happen.

Really. Ice damning is a normal occurrence. I do not have an A frame
house which is geared to shed the snow much more easily.

But most roofs unless pitched excessively will not shed the snow.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/29/2014 12:52 PM, woodchucker wrote:
On 1/29/2014 2:34 PM, Just Wondering wrote:
On 1/29/2014 11:59 AM, woodchucker wrote:
For those of you not in snow country..
Some of you got dumped on..

It pays to get the snow off the 1st 2 feet of the roof. I have a snow
rake and get about 4 feet off. But assuming most of you southerners
don't have it.

Take a broom and try to get the 2 feet at the bottom of your roofs
cleared. It may save you lots of money in rotted wood, or your shop if
you have a basement shop.

Years ago the ice damn caused a lot of water to run inside the house and
it travelled the joists and soaked a lot of wood and also rusted a lot
of stuff.

Your roof isn't constructed right. If it was, what you describe
wouldn't happen.

Really. Ice damning is a normal occurrence.

So what? If a roof is constructed properly, ice damming will not cause
water to do what you describe. There are millions of properly
constructed roofs to prove it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/29/2014 2:51 PM, FrozenNorth wrote:
[...]

It's the melting and freezing that's the problem.
When night comes and it refreezes it creates damns then the water runs
under the shingles when it melts again, since it can't go past the ice.,
and that's when you have problems.

Here in NJ, the roofs generally are pitched for moderate snow. Heavier
snows will cause problems.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 01/29/2014 12:59 PM, woodchucker wrote:
For those of you not in snow country..
Some of you got dumped on..

It pays to get the snow off the 1st 2 feet of the roof. I have a snow
rake and get about 4 feet off. But assuming most of you southerners
don't have it.

Take a broom and try to get the 2 feet at the bottom of your roofs
cleared. It may save you lots of money in rotted wood, or your shop if
you have a basement shop.

Years ago the ice damn caused a lot of water to run inside the house and
it travelled the joists and soaked a lot of wood and also rusted a lot
of stuff.

Just an FYI..

I have never seen an ice dam form in AL. usually or snow events last for
10 hours or so and melt completely in a day or so.

If we have a mini ice age, I'll heed your warning.

What most southerners could really benefit from is rudimentary
driving lessons, for instance yesterday there was a little over an inch
on the roads, it's cold enough that it is a dry blowing snow over some
pack ice on the roads. People drove in the ditches by the tens of
thousands. I don't understand it.

I don't claim any great driving skill but I managed to drive 150 plus
miles in the same mess without any problems. (in a two wheel drive pickup)

basilisk
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 29 Jan 2014 12:54:45 -0700, Just Wondering
wrote:

[...]

And millions that are not as water tight, so to err on the side of
caution is not a bad idea. I have found it really difficult to
determine whether it is "constructed right" by looking from the
ground.

Mark
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/29/2014 2:37 PM, basilisk wrote:

What most southerners could really benefit from is rudimentary
driving lessons,

Apparently a good many northerners could benefit also?

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...t=d irectlink

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 1/29/2014 2:37 PM, basilisk wrote:

I have never seen an ice dam form in AL. usually or snow events last for
10 hours or so and melt completely in a day or so.

If we have a mini ice age, I'll heed your warning.

What most southerners could really benefit from is rudimentary
driving lessons, for instance yesterday there was a little over an inch
on the roads, it's cold enough that it is a dry blowing snow over some
pack ice on the roads. People drove in the ditches by the tens of
thousands. I don't understand it.

I don't claim any great driving skill but I managed to drive 150 plus
miles in the same mess without any problems. (in a two wheel drive pickup)

The primary problem is they simply won't slow down sufficiently enough
to even have a half-chance when they do lose it when either

a) somebody in front loses it,
b) they try to pass on icy lane and lose it,
c) they try to stop themselves

as the primary instigators.

I'm always simply amazed at how many UPS drivers seem no better,
nationwide. They must be in the OTR race for rollovers and landing in
medians/ditches by an order of magnitude or more compared the rest of
the national carrier brands...

We had just a couple of inches Monday night that left a fairly slick
surface on the blacktop bypass around town Tuesday. I'd run to town for
the mail after shoveling the walks off and doing chores and was about
plowed over by an oversize load guy while in the turn lane to make the
turn on our road waiting for oncoming. I was getting ready to head on
straight and hit the ditch behind the other guy when he did finally
manage to straighten it out but wasn't but a few lengths behind me when
he did...again, nothing but idiocy of trying to drive 50 in 30 mph
conditions. There were enough tracks that even his load rig started
swinging from one to another and when he tried to shut 'er down he did
it too quickly...very easy to see what was happening; not much of
anywhere to go w/ the other one coming over the hill from the south.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 29 Jan 2014 13:59:18 -0500, woodchucker
wrote:

For those of you not in snow country..
Some of you got dumped on..

It pays to get the snow off the 1st 2 feet of the roof. I have a snow
rake and get about 4 feet off. But assuming most of you southerners
don't have it.

Take a broom and try to get the 2 feet at the bottom of your roofs
cleared. It may save you lots of money in rotted wood, or your shop if
you have a basement shop.

Years ago the ice damn caused a lot of water to run inside the house and
it travelled the joists and soaked a lot of wood and also rusted a lot
of stuff.

Just an FYI..

Hmm. When I lived in Vermont, it was no problem. The roofs stayed
cold enough that ice dams weren't a problem. Well, in the houses that
weren't built in the '70s or early '80s.

Here in GA it might be more of a concern. Though we only got a couple
of inches of snow and it'll probably all be gone Saturday.

The issue was the attic getting warmer than freezing while the eves
were colder. Any water then gets "dammed" by the ice over the eves.
This shouldn't be a problem, in this case, because the roof will be
the same temperature, as it warms. Assuming a ventilated attic and
insulation, of course.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/29/2014 3:05 PM, Markem wrote:
And millions that are not as water tight, so to err on the side of
caution is not a bad idea. I have found it really difficult to
determine whether it is "constructed right" by looking from the
ground.

Properly installed, "water and ice shield", you should be able to see it
under the drip edge, where it has been rolled over the fascia ... you
just have to get close enough to see if it's there.

It it is over the drip edge, the installation is suspect.

Amazingly enough, we do spec "water and ice shield" in our roofing
contracts down here in Texas ... at least those interested in doing
things right do.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 29 Jan 2014 15:28:32 -0600, dpb wrote:

[...]

I found exactly the opposite, yesterday. People were so scared they
wouldn't move. They drove too *slow* (as in stopped) and the snow
under them turned to ice. There wasn't a chance to blow lanes clear
of pack the snow before it turned to ice. People stopped at the
bottom of hills. They're probably still there.

The other big problem is that there are no Winter tires here (myself
included) and many are running slicks.

Then there are the truly stupid, like the guy that did a 3-point
U-turn in front of me, into a driveway that was declined about 5' in
40'. Of course he was driving a 2WD pickup with no weight in the
back. I was also driving a pickup (no weight) but I have good tires
and was smart enough to pick the next driveway (flat). Some bozo
couldn't even manage that driveway and drove over the person's lawn to
get out.

as the primary instigators.

I'm always simply amazed at how many UPS drivers seem no better,
nationwide. They must be in the OTR race for rollovers and landing in
medians/ditches by an order of magnitude or more compared the rest of
the national carrier brands...

Their trucks don't looks especially good for snow; top and front
heavy, with RWD.

We had just a couple of inches Monday night that left a fairly slick
surface on the blacktop bypass around town Tuesday. I'd run to town for
the mail after shoveling the walks off and doing chores and was about
plowed over by an oversize load guy while in the turn lane to make the
turn on our road waiting for oncoming. I was getting ready to head on
straight and hit the ditch behind the other guy when he did finally
manage to straighten it out but wasn't but a few lengths behind me when
he did...again, nothing but idiocy of trying to drive 50 in 30 mph
conditions. There were enough tracks that even his load rig started
swinging from one to another and when he tried to shut 'er down he did
it too quickly...very easy to see what was happening; not much of
anywhere to go w/ the other one coming over the hill from the south.

I tell people that the "shoulder is your friend" but here there are
many places there is no shoulder, only a 20' drop to the woods below.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 01/29/2014 03:23 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 1/29/2014 2:37 PM, basilisk wrote:

What most southerners could really benefit from is rudimentary
driving lessons,

Apparently a good many northerners could benefit also?

No doubt, there could be some benefit all around the Country. Al has
zero requirements for drivers education other than a short written test
and a very limited road test.
If the parents aren't responsible enough to teach their kids, it is
basically here are the keys take off. It ends badly too often.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...t=d irectlink

I'm surprised really that the Northern states aren't worse than shown,
considering the amount of snow that they have and the large populations.

Alabama probably averages less than one day a year of snow and ice.

Texas looks high, but on the other hand, the Dallas metro area alone has
1.5 times the entire population of Alabama.

basilisk
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 01/29/2014 03:59 PM, wrote:
[...]

Yep, got behind one going so slow that there was no way they were going
to make it over the next hill, I found a nice place to pull over and
waited until they were out of the picture before going on.

The other big problem is that there are no Winter tires here (myself
included) and many are running slicks.

I do have good mud/snow tires, it helps.

[...]

None here either, only on the interstates, not even the US highways have
usable shoulders.

basilisk

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Built for southern conditions, then hit with snow, could conseivably
cause ide dam problems. We build differently in snow zones.

A "properly constructed" roof in Atlanta or New Orleans would not be
built to handle snow and freeze-thaw cycles.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 29 Jan 2014 15:35:09 -0600, Swingman wrote:

On 1/29/2014 3:05 PM, Markem wrote:
And millions that are not as water tight, so to err on the side of
caution is not a bad idea. I have found it really difficult to
determine whether it is "constructed right" by looking from the
ground.

Properly installed, "water and ice shield", you should be able to see it
under the drip edge, where it has been rolled over the fascia ... you
just have to get close enough to see if it's there.

It it is over the drip edge, the installation is suspect.

Amazingly enough, we do spec "water and ice shield" in our roofing
contracts down here in Texas ... at least those interested in doing
things right do.

But if you now have a nice accumulation of snow and do not "know" go
out and do the broom thing, get a bit of exercise too.

If it was my house getting a new roof, I would go for over kill and do
the whole roof with "water and ice shield". But the over the eaves and
valleys is best building practice for a roof.

My roof does not have any of the shielding, it has had over a foot of
snow maybe three times in the 6 years we have been here. It does not
leak, it is 3/12 pitch.

Mark
Posted to rec.woodworking

My guy in Bufallo had his office in his house.

At least twice a year his wife would call in and tell us Jim was
shoveling
off the roof after a storm not only to keep ice dams from forming but
also
to reduce the snow load on the roof.

Every time we got that call could just visualize Jim loosing his
balance
and sliding off the roof.

Never happened, but still didn't keep me from sweating the operation
out
until Jim got back in the house and off the roof.

Housing codes vary all over the country.

You can use an asphalt shingle roof in the North East & Midwest, but
they
are about as useful as tits on a boar hog in the desert SW where tile
does
a better job.

Different horses for different courses.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 29 Jan 2014 14:51:27 -0500, FrozenNorth
Yep, I have never worried about it in Canada is the 17 years I have been
in this house, never a problem. Those in the deep south do not need to
worry, it will all be melted in a couple days anyway.

What kind of roof do you have that you don't have to worry about ice
dams?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 30 Jan 2014 01:22:52 -0500, FrozenNorth
Very steep, story and a half post WW2 house, you couldn't pay me enough
to climb on that thing, got it reshingled, they charge extra because of
the steep pitch.

My parent's house was the exact opposite. It was a farmhouse built
circa 1825 and had an extremely low pitch. To prevent the snow and ice
buildup we ran heating wires zigzagging about two feet up all along
the back of the house.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/29/2014 1:59 PM, woodchucker wrote:
For those of you not in snow country..
Some of you got dumped on..

It pays to get the snow off the 1st 2 feet of the roof. I have a snow
rake and get about 4 feet off. But assuming most of you southerners
don't have it.

Take a broom and try to get the 2 feet at the bottom of your roofs
cleared. It may save you lots of money in rotted wood, or your shop if
you have a basement shop.

Years ago the ice damn caused a lot of water to run inside the house and
it travelled the joists and soaked a lot of wood and also rusted a lot
of stuff.

A good idea. I'm one of the ones in a city ill prepared for two inches
of snow.

Here they don't even require tar paper, let alone ice damn membrane. Not
sure how well the membrane works, but I had it put in.

I've got a truck across the street that slid backwards and wedged itself
in between a phone pole and a cement wall. Almost no damage now, but I
imagine that won't be the case when it is pulled out!

Southerners do not understand ice and snow. I hear a car at this very
moment gunning the engine trying to move.

Jeff

Just an FYI..

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bull****! We even have a snowplow:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...t=d irectlink

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

For those of you not in snow country..
Some of you got dumped on..

It pays to get the snow off the 1st 2 feet of the roof. I have a snow
rake and get about 4 feet off. But assuming most of you southerners
don't have it.

Take a broom and try to get the 2 feet at the bottom of your roofs
cleared. It may save you lots of money in rotted wood, or your shop if
you have a basement shop.

Years ago the ice damn caused a lot of water to run inside the house and
it travelled the joists and soaked a lot of wood and also rusted a lot
of stuff.

Just an FYI..

I would not think that a properly vented roof would ice dam.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
On 1/30/2014 7:13 AM, Jeff Thies wrote:

Southerners do not understand ice and snow.

Bull****! We even have a snowplow:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...t=d irectlink

Leave it to a Texan to put tire chains on the rear wheels of a front wheel
drive car...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

For those of you not in snow country..
Some of you got dumped on..

It pays to get the snow off the 1st 2 feet of the roof. I have a snow
rake and get about 4 feet off. But assuming most of you southerners
don't have it.

Take a broom and try to get the 2 feet at the bottom of your roofs
cleared. It may save you lots of money in rotted wood, or your shop if
you have a basement shop.

Years ago the ice damn caused a lot of water to run inside the house and
it travelled the joists and soaked a lot of wood and also rusted a lot
of stuff.

Just an FYI..

I would not think that a properly vented roof would ice dam.

Ok, you get to believe what you want.

I know that even a well insulated attic , well ventilated will still damn.

The problem is the sun and air, it will melt the snow, and that will
refreeze at night if cold enough (usually is). Then the rethaw will
start the process over.... And that is where the problem occurs.

When my house was built, they did not have the glue down membranes in
use regularly. Now I believe they do. I am due for a new roof, but it
will likely be a second layer.. so not really ideal for a membrane.

I was referring to how the attic is ventilated above the soffit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 30 Jan 2014 11:18:40 -0500, "Mike Marlow"

wrote:

For those of you not in snow country..
Some of you got dumped on..

It pays to get the snow off the 1st 2 feet of the roof. I have a snow
rake and get about 4 feet off. But assuming most of you southerners
don't have it.

Take a broom and try to get the 2 feet at the bottom of your roofs
cleared. It may save you lots of money in rotted wood, or your shop
if you have a basement shop.

Years ago the ice damn caused a lot of water to run inside the house
and it travelled the joists and soaked a lot of wood and also rusted
a lot of stuff.

Just an FYI..

I would not think that a properly vented roof would ice dam.

They sure do. All of the practices of creating venting, minimizing heat
loss, etc. are valid, but they do not stop ice damns under the right
conditions. That's why we use water and ice barriers in the north country.
Mine extends probably 3 times higher up my roof than even the most cautious
recommendations, and across my valleys as well.

Metal roofs do go a lot further to combat this problem but you have to like
that look. And... you have to think about all of that snow sliding off your
roof - unintended consequences and all that stuff.

I had a near miss in Flagstaff, AZ one day when a couple of feet of
snow slid off a metal roof just as I stepped out of the way. I had a
blessed day!
Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:

Ok, you get to believe what you want.

I know that even a well insulated attic , well ventilated will still
damn.
The problem is the sun and air, it will melt the snow, and that will
refreeze at night if cold enough (usually is). Then the rethaw will
start the process over.... And that is where the problem occurs.

When my house was built, they did not have the glue down membranes in
use regularly. Now I believe they do. I am due for a new roof, but it
will likely be a second layer.. so not really ideal for a membrane.

Maybe, maybe not Jeff. You could strip back from the edge, down to the
deck. I would go at least twice what they recommend because I believe in
overkill. Went further on my own roof when I re-reoofed. But... lay down
the membrane and shingle over it - even if you re-use the old shingles.
Then - proceed as if you were simply laying down a second layer over the old
first layer. Though... I'm no believer in going over an existing roof. I'm
kinda shocked that you are considering such a thing. Just does not seem
like the Jeff I see here. Oh hell - go for it - bring in a dumpster, pay
for the cheap labor and strip it right down to the deck like you should. It
will look better and lay in better. You can do it Jeff...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/30/2014 11:25 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
woodchucker wrote:

[...]

Geez I'm speechless.

When I'm ready we'll see what the price difference is.
I like the metal roof look, would love to see how much that costs. But
when I had a house in VT I remember the rain, the sound was incredible,
but that was before they started insulating the roofs on the outside.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/30/2014 10:13 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Swingman wrote:
On 1/30/2014 7:13 AM, Jeff Thies wrote:

Southerners do not understand ice and snow.

Bull****! We even have a snowplow:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...t=d irectlink

Leave it to a Texan to put tire chains on the rear wheels of a front wheel
drive car...

Yep, go figure. Since southerners obviously don't know understand ice
and snow, one of our 'winter Texans'/"snowbirds" from the NE was tasked
with that job. You know, one of those who collect unemployment in NJ in
the winter, while coming down here to work until it warms up enough to
go back. Unfortunately, he skidded off the road when it rained here a
couple of winters back and is currently collecting both disability and
unemployment.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

Yep, go figure. Since southerners obviously don't know understand ice
and snow, one of our 'winter Texans'/"snowbirds" from the NE was
tasked with that job. You know, one of those who collect unemployment
in NJ in the winter, while coming down here to work until it warms up
enough to go back. Unfortunately, he skidded off the road when it
rained here a couple of winters back and is currently collecting both
disability and unemployment.

Wait a minute - you guys don't really have snowbirds, do you? I thought
that everyone who migrated down to Texas simply stayed there.

As for the displaced NJ employee - well hell - of course! These guys know
how to work those systems. Disability is listed as a professional skill on
their resumes.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

That might all depend on the type metal roof that you have. My last
house had a metal, aluminum, cedar shake roof. So snow may not slide
off easily at all.
Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:

Jeff - ping me.

--

-Mike-

Super heavy snow? Tim+ UK diy 62 February 17th 13 12:25 AM
Hardwater accumulations in dishwasher beyond repair? [email protected] Home Repair 17 September 23rd 08 12:53 PM
FS N west Ark south bend heavy 10" lathe batw Metalworking 0 August 26th 07 03:17 AM
South SF South Bay Woodworking Center Open charlie b Woodworking 2 August 18th 05 05:50 PM
WANTED: Micrometer Follow Rest for South Bend Heavy 10" Lathe RRBeaupre Metalworking 6 December 22nd 03 12:53 AM