Posted to rec.woodworking
basilisk[_2_] basilisk[_2_] is offline

Default For those of you in the south that got heavy snow accumulations

On 01/29/2014 12:59 PM, woodchucker wrote:
For those of you not in snow country..
Some of you got dumped on..

It pays to get the snow off the 1st 2 feet of the roof. I have a snow
rake and get about 4 feet off. But assuming most of you southerners
don't have it.

Take a broom and try to get the 2 feet at the bottom of your roofs
cleared. It may save you lots of money in rotted wood, or your shop if
you have a basement shop.

Years ago the ice damn caused a lot of water to run inside the house and
it travelled the joists and soaked a lot of wood and also rusted a lot
of stuff.

Just an FYI..

I have never seen an ice dam form in AL. usually or snow events last for
10 hours or so and melt completely in a day or so.

If we have a mini ice age, I'll heed your warning.

What most southerners could really benefit from is rudimentary
driving lessons, for instance yesterday there was a little over an inch
on the roads, it's cold enough that it is a dry blowing snow over some
pack ice on the roads. People drove in the ditches by the tens of
thousands. I don't understand it.

I don't claim any great driving skill but I managed to drive 150 plus
miles in the same mess without any problems. (in a two wheel drive pickup)

basilisk