Posted to rec.woodworking
Markem[_2_] Markem[_2_] is offline

Default For those of you in the south that got heavy snow accumulations

On Wed, 29 Jan 2014 12:54:45 -0700, Just Wondering
wrote:

On 1/29/2014 12:52 PM, woodchucker wrote:
On 1/29/2014 2:34 PM, Just Wondering wrote:
On 1/29/2014 11:59 AM, woodchucker wrote:
For those of you not in snow country..
Some of you got dumped on..

It pays to get the snow off the 1st 2 feet of the roof. I have a snow
rake and get about 4 feet off. But assuming most of you southerners
don't have it.

Take a broom and try to get the 2 feet at the bottom of your roofs
cleared. It may save you lots of money in rotted wood, or your shop if
you have a basement shop.

Years ago the ice damn caused a lot of water to run inside the house and
it travelled the joists and soaked a lot of wood and also rusted a lot
of stuff.

Your roof isn't constructed right. If it was, what you describe
wouldn't happen.

Really. Ice damning is a normal occurrence.

So what? If a roof is constructed properly, ice damming will not cause
water to do what you describe. There are millions of properly
constructed roofs to prove it.

And millions that are not as water tight, so to err on the side of
caution is not a bad idea. I have found it really difficult to
determine whether it is "constructed right" by looking from the
ground.

Mark