Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hardwater accumulations in dishwasher beyond repair?

I had posted earlier about a dishwasher that was leaving cloudy
residue in everything. Plus it was not cleaning properly either. The
excellent replies said to clean it out with vinegar. So I tried
several applications of vinegar and stronger citric acids and baking
soda to no avail. Here are some pictures that show the problem. The
glass on the left was dried in dish rack while the one in the right is
from the dishwasher.

http://www.mynonsense.net/temp/

Could it be the hardwater deposits have accumulated so much that they
are beyond repair? The dishwasher was only used for a year ( it is
rental property ). What is confusing is if there is hard water
problem , then how did the glass that was dried outside have no spots
on it? I recall the property used to have very hard water, but could
it be now it doesn't? Does city water change with time?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 09:05:41 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

I had posted earlier about a dishwasher that was leaving cloudy
residue in everything. Plus it was not cleaning properly either. The
excellent replies said to clean it out with vinegar. So I tried
several applications of vinegar and stronger citric acids and baking
soda to no avail. Here are some pictures that show the problem. The
glass on the left was dried in dish rack while the one in the right is
from the dishwasher.

http://www.mynonsense.net/temp/

Could it be the hardwater deposits have accumulated so much that they
are beyond repair? The dishwasher was only used for a year ( it is
rental property ). What is confusing is if there is hard water
problem , then how did the glass that was dried outside have no spots
on it? I recall the property used to have very hard water, but could
it be now it doesn't? Does city water change with time?

Howdy,

I would suggest a different approach...

What sort of DW detergent are you using?

Is it a powder, a gel, something else?

Do you measure it out, or is it pre-measured?

I ask because you may be looking at residue from the
detergent.

Particularly if you are not doing full loads, I would
suggest that you cut back on the amount of detergent you are
using. You also might want to experiment with other brands.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 22, 11:16 am, Kenneth
wrote:
On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 09:05:41 -0700 (PDT),

Howdy,

I would suggest a different approach...

What sort of DW detergent are you using?

Is it a powder, a gel, something else?

Do you measure it out, or is it pre-measured?

We tried lemi-shine and gel. For the picture of the cloudy glass I
used the gel to fill the cup and put vinegar in the rinse. The
dishwasher only had a few glasses in it, so probably there was too
much detergent for the quantity of dishes. But should that matter
much?
I ask because you may be looking at residue from the
detergent.

Particularly if you are not doing full loads, I would
suggest that you cut back on the amount of detergent you are
using. You also might want to experiment with other brands.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I had posted earlier about a dishwasher that was leaving cloudy
residue in everything. Plus it was not cleaning properly either. The
excellent replies said to clean it out with vinegar. So I tried
several applications of vinegar and stronger citric acids and baking
soda to no avail. Here are some pictures that show the problem. The
glass on the left was dried in dish rack while the one in the right is
from the dishwasher.

http://www.mynonsense.net/temp/

Could it be the hardwater deposits have accumulated so much that they
are beyond repair? The dishwasher was only used for a year ( it is
rental property ). What is confusing is if there is hard water
problem , then how did the glass that was dried outside have no spots
on it? I recall the property used to have very hard water, but could
it be now it doesn't? Does city water change with time?

Have you tried using more dishwasher detergent? A large part of what's
in there is stuff to counteract hard water. It could be as simple as a
ton of table salt. I used to put in just a little detergent when I only
had a few dishes, and they came out cloudier than if I used a full
dose. Be sure to fill both cups.

I just noticed in your photos that you're using a liquid detergent. Try
switching to a powered one. I use Electrosol--it's the cheapest 'round
here, and it works.

You might also try just adding a few tablespoons of salt to the wash as
an experiment.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 22, 11:05*am, wrote:
I had posted earlier about a dishwasher that was leaving cloudy
residue in everything. Plus it was not cleaning properly either. The
excellent replies said to clean it out with vinegar. So I tried
several applications of vinegar and stronger citric acids and baking
soda to no avail. Here are some pictures that show the problem. The
glass on the left was dried in dish rack while the one in the right is
from the dishwasher.

http://www.mynonsense.net/temp/

Could it be the hardwater deposits have accumulated so much that they
are beyond repair? *The dishwasher was only used for a year ( it is
rental property ). What is confusing is if there is hard water
problem , then how did the glass that was dried outside have no spots
on it? I recall the property used to have very hard water, but could
it be now it doesn't? Does city water change with time?

I dont see an issue except the wrong dishwasher detergent

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 22, 11:45 am, ransley wrote:

I dont see an issue except the wrong dishwasher detergent

The tenant's tried lemi-shine and electrosol with the same result.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I had posted earlier about a dishwasher that was leaving cloudy
residue in everything. Plus it was not cleaning properly either. The
excellent replies said to clean it out with vinegar. So I tried
several applications of vinegar and stronger citric acids and baking
soda to no avail. Here are some pictures that show the problem. The
glass on the left was dried in dish rack while the one in the right is
from the dishwasher.

http://www.mynonsense.net/temp/

Could it be the hardwater deposits have accumulated so much that they
are beyond repair? The dishwasher was only used for a year ( it is
rental property ). What is confusing is if there is hard water
problem , then how did the glass that was dried outside have no spots
on it? I recall the property used to have very hard water, but could
it be now it doesn't? Does city water change with time?

I switched to Cascade liquid from their powder and get no cloudy
dishes. Hubby fills the
cup with deterg. but I generally use about 2/3 or so. Clean, no spots.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 22, 1:24�pm, Norminn wrote:
wrote:
[...]

cup with deterg. but I generally use about 2/3 or so. �Clean, no spots.- Hide quoted text -

if the water isnt hot enough the detergent doesnt dissolve
properly....

i fixed it by turning up my water heater alittle
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I'll look into that, but I am fairly sure the water heater is set to
the normal setting and is working correctly. Should it be set to high?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

the normal setting and is working correctly. Should it be set to high?- Hide quoted text -

at least 130 degrees, mine was set a bit lower after a 4 year old
visited yucky washing till i realized what happened
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

visited *yucky washing till i realized what happened- Hide quoted text -

Change DW detergent from Value Time to some better brand. It will
work. Guaranteed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

i fixed it by turning up my water heater alittle

I'll look into that, but I am fairly sure the water heater is set to
the normal setting and is working correctly. Should it be set to high?

This is a rental unit, right? Be careful setting it up as there is a code
for maximum temperature. Most DW have a booster that will heat the water to
the proper temperature.

That glass sis nasty looking. I'd check the temperature, the water
hardness, and I'd also check to see that the unit is operating properly.
The spray arms may be clogged or not spinning, thus the residue on the
dishes. Could be the pump is on the way out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 22, 9:28�pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
wrote in message

i fixed it by turning up my water heater alittle

I'll look into that, but I am fairly sure the water heater is set to
the normal setting and is working correctly. Should it be set to high?

This is a rental unit, right? �Be careful setting it up as there is a code
for maximum temperature. �Most DW have a booster that will heat the water to
the proper temperature.

That glass sis nasty looking. �I'd check the temperature, the water
hardness, and I'd also check to see that the unit is operating properly.
The spray arms may be clogged or not spinning, thus the residue on the
dishes. � Could be the pump is on the way out.

looking at photo its a low end unit, at 6.2 amps it probably wasnt
designed to heat water......

might be better to just replace the unit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for all the replies. I think my next step is to run it without
any soap. If there is still the same white residue on the dishes then
it means it must be coming from the inside. Otherwise it is a problem
with the soap/temperature/rinse agent.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Thanks for all the replies. I think my next step is to run it without
any soap. If there is still the same white residue on the dishes then
it means it must be coming from the inside. Otherwise it is a problem
with the soap/temperature/rinse agent.

Google this:
haze on glasses dishwasher

You'll get some very good info re your problem

Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kenneth wrote:

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 19:45:20 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Thanks for all the replies. I think my next step is to run it without
any soap. If there is still the same white residue on the dishes then
it means it must be coming from the inside. Otherwise it is a problem
with the soap/temperature/rinse agent.

Howdy,

Your test should be done on a piece of glass that has no
haze at the outset. If the problem is the sort of etching I
have suggested, it will not be removed.

All the best,

When I have had haze on glassware in the dw it was from too much
detergent. I cleared it
up by rinsing with vinegar. That is not the same as etching, which is
permanent.