Posted to rec.woodworking
woodchucker[_3_] woodchucker[_3_] is offline

Default For those of you in the south that got heavy snow accumulations

On 1/30/2014 11:25 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
woodchucker wrote:

Ok, you get to believe what you want.

I know that even a well insulated attic , well ventilated will still
damn.
The problem is the sun and air, it will melt the snow, and that will
refreeze at night if cold enough (usually is). Then the rethaw will
start the process over.... And that is where the problem occurs.

When my house was built, they did not have the glue down membranes in
use regularly. Now I believe they do. I am due for a new roof, but it
will likely be a second layer.. so not really ideal for a membrane.

Maybe, maybe not Jeff. You could strip back from the edge, down to the
deck. I would go at least twice what they recommend because I believe in
overkill. Went further on my own roof when I re-reoofed. But... lay down
the membrane and shingle over it - even if you re-use the old shingles.
Then - proceed as if you were simply laying down a second layer over the old
first layer. Though... I'm no believer in going over an existing roof. I'm
kinda shocked that you are considering such a thing. Just does not seem
like the Jeff I see here. Oh hell - go for it - bring in a dumpster, pay
for the cheap labor and strip it right down to the deck like you should. It
will look better and lay in better. You can do it Jeff...

Geez I'm speechless.

When I'm ready we'll see what the price difference is.
I like the metal roof look, would love to see how much that costs. But
when I had a house in VT I remember the rain, the sound was incredible,
but that was before they started insulating the roofs on the outside.

--
Jeff