Posted to rec.woodworking

Default For those of you in the south that got heavy snow accumulations

wrote:
On Thu, 30 Jan 2014 11:00:48 -0500, woodchucker
wrote:

Ok, you get to believe what you want.

I know that even a well insulated attic , well ventilated will still
damn.

The problem is the sun and air, it will melt the snow, and that will
refreeze at night if cold enough (usually is). Then the rethaw will
start the process over.... And that is where the problem occurs.

When my house was built, they did not have the glue down membranes in
use regularly. Now I believe they do. I am due for a new roof, but it
will likely be a second layer.. so not really ideal for a membrane.

I was referring to how the attic is ventilated above the soffit.

Perhaps you missed Jeff's opening comment about a well ventilated attic?
Ventilation is certainly key to minimizing ice build up but it does not
ensure no ice build up. Nor does more insulation.

--

-Mike-