Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Could you whack an inch off?

I spend hours getting my Stickley reproduction designs as exact as possible, measuring from eBay photos and Stickley catlogs. I did a run of very small round tables, in Cherry (not classic). Something you might use as a plant stand. I exercise exacting detail. I did an oil finish (tried and true) that took a few weeks to complete. I give one to a dear friend for his birthday.

His wife says "Hey great, we can use it as a stool in the shower!" I help them understand maybe it won't hold up to the use in a wet environment.

Now a few weeks later I get an email. "Hey I want to give one of your stools to a friend. Do you have another one? Could you whack an inch off of the legs and add some adjusters to the bottom in-case they have an uneven floor?"

Maybe I can get him something from Ikea. He won't know the difference. :-(
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 01 Oct 2012 16:49:14 -0700, SonomaProducts.com wrote:

Maybe I can get him something from Ikea. He won't know the difference.
:-(

There are entirely too many people out there like that! Next time give
him a board with a recess routed in it and call it a picture frame. You
could even mount a picture of your table in it :-).

carrying a cross.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote:
I spend hours getting my Stickley reproduction designs as exact as
possible, measuring from eBay photos and Stickley catlogs. I did a run of
very small round tables, in Cherry (not classic). Something you might use
as a plant stand. I exercise exacting detail. I did an oil finish (tried
and true) that took a few weeks to complete. I give one to a dear friend for his birthday.

His wife says "Hey great, we can use it as a stool in the shower!" I help
them understand maybe it won't hold up to the use in a wet environment.

Now a few weeks later I get an email. "Hey I want to give one of your
stools to a friend. Do you have another one? Could you whack an inch off
of the legs and add some adjusters to the bottom in-case they have an uneven floor?"

Maybe I can get him something from Ikea. He won't know the difference. :-(

Welcome to the world of discerning craftsmen operating in an increasingly
fickle culture. To make a living at it, you must give the customer what
they want, and not reason why ... whack away, Bubba!

--
www.ewoodshop.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, October 1, 2012 6:49:14 PM UTC-5, SonomaProducts.com wrote:
I spend hours getting my Stickley reproduction designs as exact as possible,

And now your buddy wants you to modify parts of the design, for someone else. Only for a hefty fee, if at all!

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

SonomaProducts.com wrote:
I spend hours getting my Stickley reproduction designs as exact as possible, measuring from eBay photos and Stickley catlogs. I did a run of very small round tables, in Cherry (not classic). Something you might use as a plant stand. I exercise exacting detail. I did an oil finish (tried and true) that took a few weeks to complete. I give one to a dear friend for his birthday.

His wife says "Hey great, we can use it as a stool in the shower!" I help them understand maybe it won't hold up to the use in a wet environment.

Now a few weeks later I get an email. "Hey I want to give one of your stools to a friend. Do you have another one? Could you whack an inch off of the legs and add some adjusters to the bottom in-case they have an uneven floor?"

Maybe I can get him something from Ikea. He won't know the difference. :-(

I'm sorry to read your sad story. I like Sonny's idea--it may help him
appreciate what he had been given.

Bill in iN

Posted to rec.woodworking

Subject

Due to present workload, the following schedule applies:

Delivery: 1 year, $10K, paid in advance
5 years, $5K, paid in advance
10 years, $1K, paid in advance

Just a thought.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/1/2012 7:11 PM, Swingman wrote:
wrote:
[...]

What the customer wants is a stool from Ikea...
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

I spend hours getting my Stickley reproduction designs as exact as
possible, measuring from eBay photos and Stickley catlogs. ...

Now a few weeks later I get an email. "Hey I want to give one of your
stools to a friend. Do you have another one? Could you whack an inch
off of the legs and add some adjusters to the bottom in-case they
have an uneven floor?"

Maybe I can get him something from Ikea. He won't know the
difference. :-(

You doing art or trying to make a living from woodworking here?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in
:

[...]

When I had a broken lef I bought one of these (sorry if it wraps)

http://www.amazon.com/Moen-DN7025-Adjustable-Shower-
White/dp/B000VYK87U/ref=pd_sim_hpc_8

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

Then don't give up your day job ... a _custom_er getting what he thinks
he wants, even if it's "whacked off" legs and stained puce pink, is what
keeps him away from Ikea, and paying you instead.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, October 1, 2012 5:11:18 PM UTC-7, Swingman wrote:
"SonomaProducts.com" wrote: I spend hours getting my Stickley reproduction designs as exact as possible, measuring from eBay photos and Stickley catlogs. I did a run of very small round tables, in Cherry (not classic). Something you might use as a plant stand. I exercise exacting detail. I did an oil finish (tried and true) that took a few weeks to complete. I give one to a dear friend for his birthday. His wife says "Hey great, we can use it as a stool in the shower!" I help them understand maybe it won't hold up to the use in a wet environment. Now a few weeks later I get an email. "Hey I want to give one of your stools to a friend. Do you have another one? Could you whack an inch off of the legs and add some adjusters to the bottom in-case they have an uneven floor?" Maybe I can get him something from Ikea. He won't know the difference. :-( Welcome to the world of discerning craftsmen operating in an increasingly fickle culture. To make a living at it, you must give the customer what they want, and not reason why ... whack away, Bubba! -- www.ewoodshop.com

I don't build-to-suit. I build what I love and if people want to buy it that is nice.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, October 1, 2012 9:58:32 PM UTC-7, dpb wrote:
On 10/1/2012 6:49 PM, SonomaProducts.com wrote: I spend hours getting my Stickley reproduction designs as exact as possible, measuring from eBay photos and Stickley catlogs. ... ... Now a few weeks later I get an email. "Hey I want to give one of your stools to a friend. Do you have another one? Could you whack an inch off of the legs and add some adjusters to the bottom in-case they have an uneven floor?" Maybe I can get him something from Ikea. He won't know the difference. :-( You doing art or trying to make a living from woodworking here? --

Today I do it for love. I love building this stuff. I do it as a side-job/hobby. If I can sell what I make it helps buy more wood and tools. I do sell most of what o build pretty quickly.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, October 2, 2012 8:59:23 AM UTC-7, Larry Kraus wrote:
"SonomaProducts.com" wrote: I spend hours getting my Stickley reproduction designs as exact as possible, measuring from eBay photos and Stickley catlogs. I did a run of very small round tables, in Cherry (not classic). Something you might use as a plant stand. I exercise exacting detail. I did an oil finish (tried and true) that took a few weeks to complete. I give one to a dear friend for his birthday. His wife says "Hey great, we can use it as a stool in the shower!" I help them understand maybe it won't hold up to the use in a wet environment. Now a few weeks later I get an email. "Hey I want to give one of your stools to a friend. Do you have another one? Could you whack an inch off of the legs and add some adjusters to the bottom in-case they have an uneven floor?" Maybe I can get him something from Ikea. He won't know the difference. :-( Keep in mind that the whole Arts & Crafts (Stickley) thing was supposed to be about simple functionality. A stool is meant to be used, not admired in an art gallery. Whack off a leg instead of an inch. Three legs will be stable on that uneven floor.

I agree that utility is a key component of the style. The things I make are beautiful and useful. However, this particular piece would fall apart if they used it in the shower for very long. Oil finish would not stop water problems that would eventually kill it. I did use pinned tenons so it would hang on for a while but would give up the ghost eventually. Also, people pay for some of my stuff like art when I have something beautiful enough to charge like that.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/1/2012 7:57 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Mon, 01 Oct 2012 16:49:14 -0700, SonomaProducts.com wrote:

Maybe I can get him something from Ikea. He won't know the difference.
:-(

There are entirely too many people out there like that! Next time give
him a board with a recess routed in it and call it a picture frame. You
could even mount a picture of your table in it :-).

Along the same lines, I built something with beautiful highly figured
wood and gave it as a house warming gift to a friend and his wife.

She said, didn't you have any better wood. I explained that the
beautiful figure was highly prized and treasured. She said it would be
better if it were just plain brown.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 2 Oct 2012 12:30:51 -0700 (PDT), "SonomaProducts.com"
I don't build-to-suit. I build what I love and if people want to buy it that is nice.

So you build basically for enjoyment, not to earn a living. I'm sure
there's many who would envy you.

Posted to rec.woodworking

SonomaProducts.com wrote:
[...]

Yeahbut - they liked your work. What more can you ask for? One thing you
have to remember is that when you make something for someone, it is their
eye that beholds the beauty - not yours. It's hard to let go of a baby, but
if you can't take their value of your work, then don't give your work away.
What is really wrong in what they asked?...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Mon, 01 Oct 2012 16:49:14 -0700, SonomaProducts.com wrote:

Maybe I can get him something from Ikea. He won't know the
difference. :-(

There are entirely too many people out there like that! Next time
give him a board with a recess routed in it and call it a picture
frame. You could even mount a picture of your table in it :-).

And there are too many arrogant "woodworkers" here who think their opinions
are what matters. Damned what the public may think about it...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

tiredofspam wrote:
On 10/1/2012 7:57 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Mon, 01 Oct 2012 16:49:14 -0700, SonomaProducts.com wrote:

Maybe I can get him something from Ikea. He won't know the
difference. :-(

There are entirely too many people out there like that! Next time
give him a board with a recess routed in it and call it a picture
frame. You could even mount a picture of your table in it :-).

Along the same lines, I built something with beautiful highly figured
wood and gave it as a house warming gift to a friend and his wife.

She said, didn't you have any better wood. I explained that the
beautiful figure was highly prized and treasured. She said it would be
better if it were just plain brown.

And... when I had a custom built guitar built, I selected the wood. It was
the wood that I liked. Not what the luthier liked, or what anyone else may
have liked or not liked. It was my money, and my desires. Why do guys here
think that their preferences are ordained? It's what the customer wants.
Sheese...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 2 Oct 2012 19:04:32 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
And... when I had a custom built guitar built, I selected the wood. It was
the wood that I liked. Not what the luthier liked, or what anyone else may
have liked or not liked. It was my money, and my desires. Why do guys here
think that their preferences are ordained? It's what the customer wants.
Sheese...

We all aspire to be the valued artist ~ the one that gets paid $$$ for
whatever we make and no matter how it turns out.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 02 Oct 2012 19:02:16 -0400, Mike Marlow wrote:

And there are too many arrogant "woodworkers" here who think their
opinions are what matters. Damned what the public may think about it..

And since I do it as a hobby, I can be as arrogant as I wish :-).

But yes, when I do something for someone who's paying for it, I either do
it their way or not at all.

carrying a cross.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave wrote:
On Tue, 2 Oct 2012 19:04:32 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
And... when I had a custom built guitar built, I selected the wood.
It was the wood that I liked. Not what the luthier liked, or what
anyone else may have liked or not liked. It was my money, and my
desires. Why do guys here think that their preferences are
ordained? It's what the customer wants. Sheese...

We all aspire to be the valued artist ~ the one that gets paid $$$ for
whatever we make and no matter how it turns out.

And the real woodworking "artist" realizes it is not all about what he
delivers - it's about what his consumer wants, that he can deliver. That
changes the focus greatly.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Tue, 02 Oct 2012 19:02:16 -0400, Mike Marlow wrote:

And there are too many arrogant "woodworkers" here who think their
opinions are what matters. Damned what the public may think about
it..

And since I do it as a hobby, I can be as arrogant as I wish :-).

But yes, when I do something for someone who's paying for it, I
either do it their way or not at all.

Damned Larry - you feel strongly about this - you posted it three times. I
surrender...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

snip

Along the same lines, I built something with beautiful highly figured
wood and gave it as a house warming gift to a friend and his wife.

She said, didn't you have any better wood. I explained that the
beautiful figure was highly prized and treasured. She said it would be
better if it were just plain brown.

And... when I had a custom built guitar built, I selected the wood. It was
the wood that I liked. Not what the luthier liked, or what anyone else may
have liked or not liked. It was my money, and my desires. Why do guys here
think that their preferences are ordained? It's what the customer wants.
Sheese...

And did you miss the part where he said that it was GIVEN as a GIFT?
Not as a commission, but something from his heart and hands?

A proverb comes to mind about a gift and looking into the mouth of
said gift.

just a thought
Posted to rec.woodworking

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote:
[...]

Great, when it works. Good luck to you, and hold tight to that day job ....

--
www.ewoodshop.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Eventually you will love to build other styles, as odd as they seem. I
started off building what the customer wanted, never have had any one
pass up what I built.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/2/2012 6:00 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
SonomaProducts.com wrote:
[...]

Totally agree with letting the customer have what he or she wants. Put
yourself in their shoes. But on the contrary, I do not have a problem
letting go of a piece no matter how nice it is, I would rather have the
money in my pocket. I can always build it again for myself if I want it
that badly.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On Monday, October 1, 2012 9:58:32 PM UTC-7, dpb wrote:
...You doing art or trying to make a living from woodworking here?

Today I do it for love. I love building this stuff. I do it as a
side-job/hobby. If I can sell what I make it helps buy more wood and
tools. I do sell most of what o build pretty quickly.

If it's for the personal satisfaction only you can tell 'em it's what it
is (not that you _can't_ otherwise; it's just a _very_ difficult
business model).

If one is in an actual business it's sometimes a hard lesson to swallow.
Years and years ago I moved from doing custom work of that sort also
as a sideline but w/ intention as young pup just out of school to make
some extra cash to the architectural stuff I've spoken of before in
Lynchburg, VA in large part because it was more fun to be able to
restore/repair/replace the excellent work found in those old houses than
it was to build the stuff that would sell (that was in my skill set of
the time, at least ).

As a popular bumper sticker here in SW KS farm country says, "Farming
without a profit motive is gardening". The sentiment has to hold for
any vocation--vision is nice but it may not pay the bills.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I just added up the number of "whack an inch off" items in this thread....
If you cut off the cumulative number of inches from the table/stool the seat
will be on the floor thus saving you the time and trouble of making legs and
stretchers... ;~)

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
I spend hours getting my Stickley reproduction designs as exact as possible,
measuring from eBay photos and Stickley catlogs. I did a run of very small
round tables, in Cherry (not classic). Something you might use as a plant
stand. I exercise exacting detail. I did an oil finish (tried and true) that
took a few weeks to complete. I give one to a dear friend for his birthday.

His wife says "Hey great, we can use it as a stool in the shower!" I help
them understand maybe it won't hold up to the use in a wet environment.

Now a few weeks later I get an email. "Hey I want to give one of your stools
to a friend. Do you have another one? Could you whack an inch off of the
legs and add some adjusters to the bottom in-case they have an uneven
floor?"

Maybe I can get him something from Ikea. He won't know the difference. :-(

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

What the customer wants is a stool from Ikea...

Then don't give up your day job ... a _custom_er getting what he thinks
he wants, even if it's "whacked off" legs and stained puce pink, is what
keeps him away from Ikea, and paying you instead.

Just don't put your name on it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

What the customer wants is a stool from Ikea...

Then don't give up your day job ... a _custom_er getting what he
thinks he wants, even if it's "whacked off" legs and stained puce
pink, is what keeps him away from Ikea, and paying you instead.

Just don't put your name on it.

Why? Is your name reflective of what you want (or insist...) that other
people will want and/or buy, or is your name reflective of giving people
what they want? The former suggests that you have all of the answers and
you are the oracle of all that is proper in woodworking. That would only be
reflective of one or two people here...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, October 2, 2012 4:04:20 PM UTC-7, Mike Marlow wrote:
tiredofspam wrote: On 10/1/2012 7:57 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote: On Mon, 01 Oct 2012 16:49:14 -0700, SonomaProducts.com wrote: Maybe I can get him something from Ikea. He won't know the difference. :-( There are entirely too many people out there like that! Next time give him a board with a recess routed in it and call it a picture frame. You could even mount a picture of your table in it :-). Along the same lines, I built something with beautiful highly figured wood and gave it as a house warming gift to a friend and his wife. She said, didn't you have any better wood. I explained that the beautiful figure was highly prized and treasured. She said it would be better if it were just plain brown. And... when I had a custom built guitar built, I selected the wood. It was the wood that I liked. Not what the luthier liked, or what anyone else may have liked or not liked. It was my money, and my desires. Why do guys here think that their preferences are ordained? It's what the customer wants. Sheese... -- -Mike-

Replying to this post but there are many posts with the same argument "the customeer is always right" And I agree with that statement. However, I am not in the cabinet business. I don't build what people ask me to build. I don't take commisions. I am an artist. I create beautiful things in wood. I have pretty much sold everything I ever offered for sale. I have tossed aside my failures. Not everyone will love or even like what I do. I think of it like a pair of shoes. I think most of them are ugly but somebody is buying them. I just buy the ones I like. My art is offered in the same way.

My original post was about how a dear and close friend does not have the same stylistic sensibilities as myself and I thought that was funny.

I know that I have been the one to push harsh opinions on little insignifacant subjects sometimes so I guess what goes around...
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

My original post was about how a dear and close friend does not have
the same stylistic sensibilities as myself and I thought that was
funny.

That you thought it was funny certainly didn't come thru...if had
thought that were the case I'd've not bothered w/ the response at all.

Posted to rec.woodworking

SonomaProducts.com wrote:

Replying to this post but there are many posts with the same argument
"the customeer is always right" And I agree with that statement.
However, I am not in the cabinet business. I don't build what people
ask me to build. I don't take commisions. I am an artist.

That would explain why you conform to nothing - like usenet standards.
Maybe you ought to get over yourself a bit.

I create
beautiful things in wood. I have pretty much sold everything I ever
offered for sale. I have tossed aside my failures. Not everyone will
love or even like what I do. I think of it like a pair of shoes. I
think most of them are ugly but somebody is buying them. I just buy
the ones I like. My art is offered in the same way.

Then don't sell or give your "art" to people who will not respect your
"artistry". You clearly think too much of yourself and not enough of
others. Just build your stuff to satisfy yourself and don't burden the rest
of the world with what they can't possibly understand. Build it, admire it
and go to sleep at night patting yourself on your own back. Just quit
bitching that others don't see it your way. You may do very nice work, but
you sir, are no artist. An artist is concerned for what the viewer sees.
You are only concerned for what you want them to see.

My original post was about how a dear and close friend does not have
the same stylistic sensibilities as myself and I thought that was
funny.

No - you did not think it was funny. You bitched about it. Stand up and be
a man and accept what you said.

I know that I have been the one to push harsh opinions on little
insignifacant subjects sometimes so I guess what goes around...

Yeah - it sucks when it comes around - don't it?...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 02 Oct 2012 20:48:03 -0400, Mike Marlow wrote:

Damned Larry - you feel strongly about this - you posted it three times.
I surrender...

Mutter, mumble, #$@% Comcast, grumble. Honest, I only posted it once :-).

carrying a cross.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, October 3, 2012 12:33:16 PM UTC-7, Mike Marlow wrote:
SonomaProducts.com wrote: Replying to this post but there are many posts with the same argument "the customeer is always right" And I agree with that statement. However, I am not in the cabinet business. I don't build what people ask me to build. I don't take commisions. I am an artist. That would explain why you conform to nothing - like usenet standards. Maybe you ought to get over yourself a bit. I create beautiful things in wood. I have pretty much sold everything I ever offered for sale. I have tossed aside my failures. Not everyone will love or even like what I do. I think of it like a pair of shoes. I think most of them are ugly but somebody is buying them. I just buy the ones I like. My art is offered in the same way. Then don't sell or give your "art" to people who will not respect your "artistry". You clearly think too much of yourself and not enough of others. Just build your stuff to satisfy yourself and don't burden the rest of the world with what they can't possibly understand. Build it, admire it and go to sleep at night patting yourself on your own back. Just quit bitching that others don't see it your way. You may do very nice work, but you sir, are no artist. An artist is concerned for what the viewer sees. You are only concerned for what you want them to see. My original post was about how a dear and close friend does not have the same stylistic sensibilities as myself and I thought that was funny. No - you did not think it was funny. You bitched about it. Stand up and be a man and accept what you said. I know that I have been the one to push harsh opinions on little insignifacant subjects sometimes so I guess what goes around... Yeah - it sucks when it comes around - don't it?... -- -Mike-

I guess you totally miss the irony in my original post. I explain how I take all this time doing such an exact job and the world doesn't notice. I was capping on myself as much (more actually) than my friend.

I do take offense that you say I am not an artist. I am. Is my art loved by all? No. Does that stop me from creating what is in my heart? No. Are there those who can appreciate and love my art? Yes.

That's the thing about art. You don't get to decide. It is an expression of the artist.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, October 3, 2012 10:10:20 AM UTC-7, dpb wrote:
On 10/3/2012 12:03 PM, SonomaProducts.com wrote: ... My original post was about how a dear and close friend does not have the same stylistic sensibilities as myself and I thought that was funny. ... That you thought it was funny certainly didn't come thru...if had thought that were the case I'd've not bothered w/ the response at all. --

I spend hours and hours studying and doing an exact job thinking I have achieved some great pinnical of my craft. My dear friend says "can you whack an inch off of that?". The laugh is on me, not him.
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Usnet standards? Piffle. I enjoy reading a lot and sharing a little. I was castigated a few times for "top posting" which seemd more logical for me using my Google reader. However, I stopped doing that since it seemd to be a problem for old fashioned email reader types. Other than that I never had any class on how to "comply" with usenet and have no interest in doing so. I am a free man and conduct myself so. If you are so sophisticated in usenet usage maybe you can filter out my non-artistic drivle and bad spellin.

DEWALT D51430 Heavy-Duty 1-Inch to 2-Inch 16-Gauge 7/16-inch Medium Crown Stapler [email protected] Home Ownership 0 May 22nd 09 01:18 PM
NEW kitchen cabinet pantry doors out of whack? [email protected] Home Repair 3 August 14th 08 03:13 AM
Garage door lift bracket - alignment out of whack? jeff37 Home Repair 1 September 13th 07 07:00 PM
Whack-a-Troll Bert Byfield Home Repair 4 October 4th 05 04:20 AM
sony kp-61v45 red is out of whack Chris W. Electronics Repair 1 November 10th 03 01:46 AM