Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Could you whack an inch off?

On Monday, October 1, 2012 9:58:32 PM UTC-7, dpb wrote:
...You doing art or trying to make a living from woodworking here?

Today I do it for love. I love building this stuff. I do it as a
side-job/hobby. If I can sell what I make it helps buy more wood and
tools. I do sell most of what o build pretty quickly.

If it's for the personal satisfaction only you can tell 'em it's what it
is (not that you _can't_ otherwise; it's just a _very_ difficult
business model).

If one is in an actual business it's sometimes a hard lesson to swallow.
Years and years ago I moved from doing custom work of that sort also
as a sideline but w/ intention as young pup just out of school to make
some extra cash to the architectural stuff I've spoken of before in
Lynchburg, VA in large part because it was more fun to be able to
restore/repair/replace the excellent work found in those old houses than
it was to build the stuff that would sell (that was in my skill set of
the time, at least ).

As a popular bumper sticker here in SW KS farm country says, "Farming
without a profit motive is gardening". The sentiment has to hold for
any vocation--vision is nice but it may not pay the bills.