Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Could you whack an inch off?

On Tuesday, October 2, 2012 4:04:20 PM UTC-7, Mike Marlow wrote:
tiredofspam wrote: On 10/1/2012 7:57 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote: On Mon, 01 Oct 2012 16:49:14 -0700, SonomaProducts.com wrote: Maybe I can get him something from Ikea. He won't know the difference. :-( There are entirely too many people out there like that! Next time give him a board with a recess routed in it and call it a picture frame. You could even mount a picture of your table in it :-). Along the same lines, I built something with beautiful highly figured wood and gave it as a house warming gift to a friend and his wife. She said, didn't you have any better wood. I explained that the beautiful figure was highly prized and treasured. She said it would be better if it were just plain brown. And... when I had a custom built guitar built, I selected the wood. It was the wood that I liked. Not what the luthier liked, or what anyone else may have liked or not liked. It was my money, and my desires. Why do guys here think that their preferences are ordained? It's what the customer wants. Sheese... -- -Mike-

Replying to this post but there are many posts with the same argument "the customeer is always right" And I agree with that statement. However, I am not in the cabinet business. I don't build what people ask me to build. I don't take commisions. I am an artist. I create beautiful things in wood. I have pretty much sold everything I ever offered for sale. I have tossed aside my failures. Not everyone will love or even like what I do. I think of it like a pair of shoes. I think most of them are ugly but somebody is buying them. I just buy the ones I like. My art is offered in the same way.

My original post was about how a dear and close friend does not have the same stylistic sensibilities as myself and I thought that was funny.

I know that I have been the one to push harsh opinions on little insignifacant subjects sometimes so I guess what goes around...