Posted to rec.woodworking
Richard[_9_] Richard[_9_] is offline

Default Could you whack an inch off?

On Monday, October 1, 2012 5:11:18 PM UTC-7, Swingman wrote:
wrote: I spend hours getting my Stickley reproduction designs as exact as possible, measuring from eBay photos and Stickley catlogs. I did a run of very small round tables, in Cherry (not classic). Something you might use as a plant stand. I exercise exacting detail. I did an oil finish (tried and true) that took a few weeks to complete. I give one to a dear friend for his birthday. His wife says "Hey great, we can use it as a stool in the shower!" I help them understand maybe it won't hold up to the use in a wet environment. Now a few weeks later I get an email. "Hey I want to give one of your stools to a friend. Do you have another one? Could you whack an inch off of the legs and add some adjusters to the bottom in-case they have an uneven floor?" Maybe I can get him something from Ikea. He won't know the difference. :-( Welcome to the world of discerning craftsmen operating in an increasingly fickle

culture. To make a living at it, you must give the customer what they want, and not reason why ... whack away, Bubba! -- www.ewoodshop.com

I don't build-to-suit. I build what I love and if people want to buy it that is nice.

BIG plus 1