Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Could you whack an inch off?

On 10/1/2012 9:52 PM, Richard wrote:
On 10/1/2012 7:11 PM, Swingman wrote:
wrote:
I spend hours getting my Stickley reproduction designs as exact as
possible, measuring from eBay photos and Stickley catlogs. I did a
run of
very small round tables, in Cherry (not classic). Something you might
use
as a plant stand. I exercise exacting detail. I did an oil finish (tried
and true) that took a few weeks to complete. I give one to a dear
friend for his birthday.

His wife says "Hey great, we can use it as a stool in the shower!" I
help
them understand maybe it won't hold up to the use in a wet environment.

Now a few weeks later I get an email. "Hey I want to give one of your
stools to a friend. Do you have another one? Could you whack an inch off
of the legs and add some adjusters to the bottom in-case they have an
uneven floor?"

Maybe I can get him something from Ikea. He won't know the
difference. :-(

Welcome to the world of discerning craftsmen operating in an increasingly
fickle culture. To make a living at it, you must give the customer what
they want, and not reason why ... whack away, Bubba!

What the customer wants is a stool from Ikea...

Then don't give up your day job ... a _custom_er getting what he thinks
he wants, even if it's "whacked off" legs and stained puce pink, is what
keeps him away from Ikea, and paying you instead.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010