Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Quick Electrial Question

Am try to install new garbage disposal and have a quick electrical quesiton.

GD Unit came with (3-prong) electrical cord attached. Unfortunately the
cord does not seem to be removable. Can I cut off the plug and attach
this to the romex in my junction box? I suspect the answer is no, but I
have to ask. If this is not acceptable, I think the next solution is to
install a new electrical outlet under the sink...

BTW, whoever installed the last one wasn't too A-R about it: there were
no "romex connectors" going into the junction box, coming out the
junction box, or going into the garbage disposal unit. *Scotch tape*
was used to cover the sharp edges on the knock-outs on the junction
box.... : (

Thank you,
Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/3/11 3:40 PM, Bill wrote:
Am try to install new garbage disposal and have a quick electrical
quesiton.

GD Unit came with (3-prong) electrical cord attached. Unfortunately the
cord does not seem to be removable. Can I cut off the plug and attach
this to the romex in my junction box?

Short answer: yes. As long as the romex wire is copper and not
aluminum.

I suspect the answer is no, but I
have to ask. If this is not acceptable, I think the next solution is to
install a new electrical outlet under the sink...

That is the better and maybe easier solution. GFCI outlet.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/3/2011 3:40 PM, Bill wrote:
Am try to install new garbage disposal and have a quick electrical
quesiton.

GD Unit came with (3-prong) electrical cord attached. Unfortunately the
cord does not seem to be removable. Can I cut off the plug and attach
this to the romex in my junction box? I suspect the answer is no, but I
have to ask. If this is not acceptable, I think the next solution is to
install a new electrical outlet under the sink...

BTW, whoever installed the last one wasn't too A-R about it: there were
no "romex connectors" going into the junction box, coming out the
junction box, or going into the garbage disposal unit. *Scotch tape* was
used to cover the sharp edges on the knock-outs on the junction box.... : (

It's usually that way for a good reason ... GD's are usually plugged
into a switched receptacle, located _under_ the counter top, so that you
can turn them on and off on at a switch somewhere _above_ the counter
top ... much more convenient and safe.

You don't want to have to open the cabinet door reach and reach under
the sink to turn the GD off and on.

Putting in a plug receptacle will take you about the same amount of time
as it would to hardwire the GD.

Do it, it makes more sense in the long run.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
Am try to install new garbage disposal and have a quick electrical
quesiton.
GD Unit came with (3-prong) electrical cord attached. Unfortunately
the cord does not seem to be removable. Can I cut off the plug and
attach this to the romex in my junction box? I suspect the answer is no,
but I have to ask. If this is not acceptable, I think the next
solution is to install a new electrical outlet under the sink...

BTW, whoever installed the last one wasn't too A-R about it: there
were no "romex connectors" going into the junction box, coming out the
junction box, or going into the garbage disposal unit. *Scotch tape*
was used to cover the sharp edges on the knock-outs on the junction
box.... : (

Put in an electrical outlet ON the wall under the sink. It will make
installation of the NEXT garbage disposal easier.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/3/2011 4:40 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

have to ask. If this is not acceptable, I think the next solution is to
install a new electrical outlet under the sink...

That is the better and maybe easier solution. GFCI outlet.

Personally, I don't know that I would go to the expense and trouble as
GFCI is not required under a kitchen sink for a garbage disposal by most
NEC versions being used that I'm aware, and it is not really necessary
in that application.

YMMV ....

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 03 Sep 2011 16:46:50 -0500, Swingman wrote:

Putting in a plug receptacle will take you about the same amount of time
as it would to hardwire the GD.

Considering it's locaton, should a garbage disposal use a GFI plug?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/3/2011 5:13 PM, Dave wrote:
On Sat, 03 Sep 2011 16:46:50 -0500, wrote:

Putting in a plug receptacle will take you about the same amount of time
as it would to hardwire the GD.

Considering it's locaton, should a garbage disposal use a GFI plug?

Not according to code in most locales _in a kitchen sink_. Put one
somewhere else and all bets are off.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/3/11 5:57 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 9/3/2011 4:40 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

have to ask. If this is not acceptable, I think the next solution is to
install a new electrical outlet under the sink...

That is the better and maybe easier solution. GFCI outlet.

Personally, I don't know that I would go to the expense and trouble as
GFCI is not required under a kitchen sink for a garbage disposal by most
NEC versions being used that I'm aware, and it is not really necessary
in that application.

YMMV ....

Interesting that it wouldn't be required given the likely potential for
leaks and water when people are under there repairing stuff. Either way,
I tend to go overboard with those things. I don't mind the cost given
their benefit.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 03 Sep 2011 18:36:23 -0400, -MIKE-
wrote:
Interesting that it wouldn't be required given the likely potential for
leaks and water when people are under there repairing stuff. Either way,
I tend to go overboard with those things. I don't mind the cost given
their benefit.

Just as long as you don't have to reset the damned thing three times a
day eh? g
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
-MIKE- wrote:
I suspect the answer is no, but I
have to ask. If this is not acceptable, I think the next solution is to
install a new electrical outlet under the sink...

That is the better and maybe easier solution. GFCI outlet.

Wouldn't be allowed in the UK. Putting any kind of electrical outlet where
it might get wet, such as under a sink, is a definite no-no. GFCI, RCCD or
not.

The socket outlets are above the work-top and the cables brought up
through small holes at the back to the plugs.

--
Stuart Winsor

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 3, 4:40*pm, Bill wrote:
Am try to install new garbage disposal and have a quick electrical quesiton.

GD Unit came with (3-prong) electrical cord attached. *Unfortunately the
cord does not seem to be removable. *Can I cut off the plug and attach
this to the romex in my junction box? *I suspect the answer is no, but I
have to ask. *If this is not acceptable, I think the next solution is to
install a new electrical outlet under the sink...

BTW, whoever installed the last one wasn't too A-R about it: there were
no "romex connectors" going into the junction box, coming out the
junction box, or going into the garbage disposal unit. **Scotch tape*
was used to cover the sharp edges on the knock-outs on the junction
box.... *: (

Thank you,
Bill

Put a receptacle under the sink, GFI if you want. Operate the GD with
a pneumatic switch which I bought from HD....on the same shelf as the
GD's.
The switch mounts in the countertop (3/4" hole, IIRC) next to the
tap... handy as a pocket on a shirt....as a bag of chips?....
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Interesting that it wouldn't be required given the likely potential for
leaks and water when people are under there repairing stuff. Either way,
I tend to go overboard with those things. I don't mind the cost given
their benefit.

Just as long as you don't have to reset the damned thing three times a
day eh?g

If that's happening, there's definitely something wrong. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 3, 4:40*pm, Bill wrote:
Am try to install new garbage disposal and have a quick electrical quesiton.

GD Unit came with (3-prong) electrical cord attached. *Unfortunately the
cord does not seem to be removable. *Can I cut off the plug and attach
this to the romex in my junction box? *I suspect the answer is no, but I
have to ask. *If this is not acceptable, I think the next solution is to
install a new electrical outlet under the sink...

BTW, whoever installed the last one wasn't too A-R about it: there were
no "romex connectors" going into the junction box, coming out the
junction box, or going into the garbage disposal unit. **Scotch tape*
was used to cover the sharp edges on the knock-outs on the junction
box.... *: (

Thank you,
Bill

Put in a receptacle with GFI if you wish, high up in the sink cabinet
and use one of these.

http://faucets.efaucets.com/faucets/...20Air%20Switch
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Dave wrote:
On Sat, 03 Sep 2011 16:46:50 -0500, Swingman wrote:

Putting in a plug receptacle will take you about the same amount of time
as it would to hardwire the GD.

Considering it's locaton, should a garbage disposal use a GFI plug?

As long as the outlet is -under_ the sink/counter, in a cabinet housing,
a GFCI is not required by current (pun intended) U.S. National Electrical
Code. YMMV in other jurisdictions.

Note: If you have an 'open' sink -- say, wall-mount, or 'pedestal', all
bets are off.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/3/2011 4:40 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

have to ask. If this is not acceptable, I think the next solution is to
install a new electrical outlet under the sink...

That is the better and maybe easier solution. GFCI outlet.

Personally, I don't know that I would go to the expense and trouble as
GFCI is not required under a kitchen sink for a garbage disposal by most
NEC versions being used that I'm aware, and it is not really necessary
in that application.

YMMV ....

Interesting that it wouldn't be required given the likely potential for
leaks and water when people are under there repairing stuff. Either way,
I tend to go overboard with those things. I don't mind the cost given
their benefit.

Well, when the wall switch that controls the disposer is 'off' there's
*no* electicity down there, anyway. A 'ground fault' -- that a GFCI
would catch -- is possible _only_ when the GD is powered.

It's really _not_ necessary, and provides a benefit only under *very*
limited (and _very_ unusual) circumstances.

There's no real -harm- in putting one in, although it may cause an un-
necessary service call by the _next_ owner, if -- no, *WHEN* -- it trips.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/3/2011 3:40 PM, Bill wrote:
Am try to install new garbage disposal and have a quick electrical
quesiton.

GD Unit came with (3-prong) electrical cord attached. Unfortunately the
cord does not seem to be removable. Can I cut off the plug and attach
this to the romex in my junction box? I suspect the answer is no, but I
have to ask. If this is not acceptable, I think the next solution is to
install a new electrical outlet under the sink...

BTW, whoever installed the last one wasn't too A-R about it: there were
no "romex connectors" going into the junction box, coming out the
junction box, or going into the garbage disposal unit. *Scotch tape* was
used to cover the sharp edges on the knock-outs on the junction box.... : (

Thank you,
Bill

why not just set an outlet in the box, plug it in and be done?

--
Steve Barker
Posted to rec.woodworking

HeyBub wrote:
Bill wrote:
Am try to install new garbage disposal and have a quick electrical
quesiton.
GD Unit came with (3-prong) electrical cord attached. Unfortunately
the cord does not seem to be removable. Can I cut off the plug and
attach this to the romex in my junction box? I suspect the answer is no,
but I have to ask. If this is not acceptable, I think the next
solution is to install a new electrical outlet under the sink...

BTW, whoever installed the last one wasn't too A-R about it: there
were no "romex connectors" going into the junction box, coming out the
junction box, or going into the garbage disposal unit. *Scotch tape*
was used to cover the sharp edges on the knock-outs on the junction
box.... : (

Put in an electrical outlet ON the wall under the sink. It will make
installation of the NEXT garbage disposal easier.

I sort of wish that seemed reasonable. As it is, I decided to install an
outlet on the back of the plywood or particle board (?) on the back of
the cabinet. Finally got all the parts together and am looking forward
to an exciting Saturday night. : )

Thank you everyone for your suggestions!

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/3/2011 4:40 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

[...]

Do me a favor and underline and bold type some more, could you? :-p

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robert Bonomi" wrote

Well, when the wall switch that controls the disposer is 'off' there's
*no* electicity down there, anyway. A 'ground fault' -- that a GFCI
would catch -- is possible _only_ when the GD is powered.

What wall switch? Not every disposal has a wall switch. Mine is plugged into
a receptacle under the cabinet and the stopper is magnetic and controls an
internal switch.

To the OP, it is better to keep the plug end if possible. Makes taking it
out easier. You can make a very short cord to extend it if needed.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/3/2011 4:40 PM, Bill wrote:
Am try to install new garbage disposal and have a quick electrical
quesiton.

GD Unit came with (3-prong) electrical cord attached. Unfortunately the
cord does not seem to be removable. Can I cut off the plug and attach
this to the romex in my junction box?

You can -- but you violate Code if you do.

I suspect the answer is no, but I
have to ask. If this is not acceptable, I think the next solution is to
install a new electrical outlet under the sink...

Yep.

BTW, whoever installed the last one wasn't too A-R about it: there were
no "romex connectors" going into the junction box, coming out the
junction box, or going into the garbage disposal unit. *Scotch tape* was
used to cover the sharp edges on the knock-outs on the junction box.... : (

Yikes!!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/3/2011 5:40 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 9/3/11 3:40 PM, Bill wrote:
Am try to install new garbage disposal and have a quick electrical
quesiton.

GD Unit came with (3-prong) electrical cord attached. Unfortunately the
cord does not seem to be removable. Can I cut off the plug and attach
this to the romex in my junction box?

Short answer: yes. As long as the romex wire is copper and not aluminum.

Sorry, that's *not* correct: flexible cord is not Code-approved for
permanent connection to the wiring system except under limited
circumstances that do not pertain here.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Robert Bonomi" wrote

Well, when the wall switch that controls the disposer is 'off' there's
*no* electicity down there, anyway. A 'ground fault' -- that a GFCI
would catch -- is possible _only_ when the GD is powered.

What wall switch? Not every disposal has a wall switch. Mine is plugged into
a receptacle under the cabinet and the stopper is magnetic and controls an
internal switch.

To the OP, it is better to keep the plug end if possible. Makes taking it
out easier. You can make a very short cord to extend it if needed.

============

Without a real switch on the unit you may want to unplug the beast when you
have to get your hand down it's throat and pull out some string to untangle
the jam in there.

--

Eric

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
in.local...

The sink is pretty thoroughly grounded in most residences.

=====

No ground on my sink via the ABS drain pipes or the PEX supply tubes either.

--

Eric

Posted to rec.woodworking

Eric wrote:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Robert Bonomi" wrote

Well, when the wall switch that controls the disposer is 'off' there's
*no* electicity down there, anyway. A 'ground fault' -- that a GFCI
would catch -- is possible _only_ when the GD is powered.

What wall switch? Not every disposal has a wall switch. Mine is plugged
into
a receptacle under the cabinet and the stopper is magnetic and controls an
internal switch.

To the OP, it is better to keep the plug end if possible. Makes taking it
out easier. You can make a very short cord to extend it if needed.

Thanks. I'm going to do that. I just got the box screwed up with the
romex connector firmly attached. The working conditions are tight,
otherwise I wouldn't be taking a break..lol.

============

Without a real switch on the unit you may want to unplug the beast when
you have to get your hand down it's throat and pull out some string to
untangle the jam in there.

--

Eric

Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:
On 9/3/2011 5:40 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 9/3/11 3:40 PM, Bill wrote:
Am try to install new garbage disposal and have a quick electrical
quesiton.

GD Unit came with (3-prong) electrical cord attached. Unfortunately the
cord does not seem to be removable. Can I cut off the plug and attach
this to the romex in my junction box?

Short answer: yes. As long as the romex wire is copper and not aluminum.

Sorry, that's *not* correct: flexible cord is not Code-approved for
permanent connection to the wiring system except under limited
circumstances that do not pertain here.

I'm surprised it is allowed to use a flexible cord which, because of the
nature of the device, has such a high probability of laying in water at
some point if the 36" cord is merely plugged in. I won't let the cord
rest on the bottom surface.

Admittedly, the cord appears to be of very good quality. Surely it is
waterproof unless it cracks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/3/11 11:47 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
On 9/3/2011 5:40 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 9/3/11 3:40 PM, Bill wrote:
Am try to install new garbage disposal and have a quick electrical
quesiton.

GD Unit came with (3-prong) electrical cord attached. Unfortunately the
cord does not seem to be removable. Can I cut off the plug and attach
this to the romex in my junction box?

Short answer: yes. As long as the romex wire is copper and not aluminum.

Sorry, that's *not* correct: flexible cord is not Code-approved for
permanent connection to the wiring system except under limited
circumstances that do not pertain here.

A lot of things aren't code approved that would work perfectly fine.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:

A lot of things aren't code approved that would work perfectly fine.

That's the standard that some contractors I've hired use. What's sad is
that their prices are higher than what perfect fine should really get
(IMO). When I hire something done by a professional, I don't expect it
to be done perfectly fine unless I'm offered a choice.

Posted to rec.woodworking

After serious thinking Eric wrote :

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Robert Bonomi" wrote

Well, when the wall switch that controls the disposer is 'off' there's
*no* electicity down there, anyway. A 'ground fault' -- that a GFCI
would catch -- is possible _only_ when the GD is powered.

What wall switch? Not every disposal has a wall switch. Mine is plugged into
a receptacle under the cabinet and the stopper is magnetic and controls an
internal switch.

To the OP, it is better to keep the plug end if possible. Makes taking it
out easier. You can make a very short cord to extend it if needed.

============

Without a real switch on the unit you may want to unplug the beast when you
have to get your hand down it's throat and pull out some string to untangle
the jam in there.

Jam (Oh! Jello)goes down very easily. :-)

--
John G.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks for helping me out folks.

I installed the outlet and I'm getting a green light from the outlet
tester Swingman suggested that I get, so life is good. For the time
being, the switch for the garbage disposal will turn a lamp on and off.
: )

Splicing together three guage 12 ground wires under pitiful conditions
seemed to be the hardest part. I think it was Mike M. who said last
year that one can do it even if the wires are not straight. Gosh, I
can't. But I did end up with a really nice-lookin' splice--and it was a
good thing I did when I did, because wire was getting scarce : )

The rest of the garbage disposal install should be like a piece-of-cake,
or something else if you don't like cake.

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 04 Sep 2011 05:36:26 -0400, Bill
wrote:
I installed the outlet and I'm getting a green light from the outlet
tester Swingman suggested that I get, so life is good. For the time
being, the switch for the garbage disposal will turn a lamp on and off.

Can't find it in previous messages. What outlet tester did Swingman
suggest you get?
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Interesting that it wouldn't be required given the likely potential
for leaks and water when people are under there repairing stuff.
Either way, I tend to go overboard with those things. I don't mind
the cost given their benefit.

Just as long as you don't have to reset the damned thing three times
a day eh?g

If that's happening, there's definitely something wrong. :-)

Like the start-up of a 1HP motor?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 04 Sep 2011 13:57:52 +0100, Stuart
wrote:
Why should a 1hp motor trip a GCFI, its an earth fault current trip not a
current overload device.

That's something I can't answer because my electrical knowledge is
pretty limited. However, the small 8" desk fan I use in my bathroom
which is plugged into a GFI outlet, occasionally trips the GFI when I
turn the fan on. What could be the explanation for that?

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
I installed the outlet and I'm getting a green light from the outlet
tester Swingman suggested that I get, so life is good. For the time
being, the switch for the garbage disposal will turn a lamp on and off.

Can't find it in previous messages. What outlet tester did Swingman
suggest you get?

Similar to this one:

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/74-300&t=1

When building a house, and during electrical trimout and inspections I
always carry one in my pocket.

Most inspector aren't going to accept that a receptacle requiring GFCI
is indeed that unless they can see it/hear it trip. Sometimes GFCI is
located on other floors (utility room for an outdoor circuit, ect) so
when they question, you have a ready means to answer.

Saves a lot of unnecessary questions, and helpful in trouble shooting
circuits also.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/4/2011 4:36 AM, Bill wrote:
Thanks for helping me out folks.

As you have no doubt noted, there is no such thing as a quick answer to
an electrical question on the wRec. Where one answer will suffice, you
will get a dozen of the same, adding nothing more but noise.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 04 Sep 2011 09:42:52 -0500, Swingman wrote:

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/74-300&t=1

Thanks. One more question. I looked up GFI and GFCI. Is there a
difference between these two or is it just the nomenclature one
chooses to use?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 4 Sep 2011 09:30:29 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In article ,
says...

wrote:
Interesting that it wouldn't be required given the likely potential
for leaks and water when people are under there repairing stuff.
Either way, I tend to go overboard with those things. I don't mind
the cost given their benefit.

Just as long as you don't have to reset the damned thing three times
a day eh?g

If that's happening, there's definitely something wrong. :-)

Like the start-up of a 1HP motor?

That would trip a circuit breaker. If there's a ground fault at startup
something's wrong.

Due to the inductance of the windings of larger motors there is a
slight delay in the current flow between the hot and neutral leads.
This delay can cause a false trip of a GFCI.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA