Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Quick Electrial Question

On 9/3/2011 3:40 PM, Bill wrote:
Am try to install new garbage disposal and have a quick electrical
quesiton.

GD Unit came with (3-prong) electrical cord attached. Unfortunately the
cord does not seem to be removable. Can I cut off the plug and attach
this to the romex in my junction box? I suspect the answer is no, but I
have to ask. If this is not acceptable, I think the next solution is to
install a new electrical outlet under the sink...

BTW, whoever installed the last one wasn't too A-R about it: there were
no "romex connectors" going into the junction box, coming out the
junction box, or going into the garbage disposal unit. *Scotch tape* was
used to cover the sharp edges on the knock-outs on the junction box.... : (

It's usually that way for a good reason ... GD's are usually plugged
into a switched receptacle, located _under_ the counter top, so that you
can turn them on and off on at a switch somewhere _above_ the counter
top ... much more convenient and safe.

You don't want to have to open the cabinet door reach and reach under
the sink to turn the GD off and on.

Putting in a plug receptacle will take you about the same amount of time
as it would to hardwire the GD.

Do it, it makes more sense in the long run.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010