Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Quick Electrial Question

In article ,
says...

Doug Miller wrote:
On 9/3/2011 5:40 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 9/3/11 3:40 PM, Bill wrote:
Am try to install new garbage disposal and have a quick electrical
quesiton.

GD Unit came with (3-prong) electrical cord attached. Unfortunately the
cord does not seem to be removable. Can I cut off the plug and attach
this to the romex in my junction box?

Short answer: yes. As long as the romex wire is copper and not aluminum.

Sorry, that's *not* correct: flexible cord is not Code-approved for
permanent connection to the wiring system except under limited
circumstances that do not pertain here.

I'm surprised it is allowed to use a flexible cord which, because of the
nature of the device, has such a high probability of laying in water at
some point if the 36" cord is merely plugged in. I won't let the cord
rest on the bottom surface.

Admittedly, the cord appears to be of very good quality. Surely it is
waterproof unless it cracks.

If it's plugged in the electrical code does not apply. Code stops at
the outlet. Fire code or other codes may apply but not the electrical
code. I don't know why people have so much trouble with this.