Old August 24th 11, 08:56 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Hole spacing

Swingman wrote:
On 8/24/2011 12:58 PM, Swingman wrote:

I still think the OP made that absolutely clear.

^
DON"T

**** ... I give up!

That's funny! Well, not really funny, but humorous. Well, maybe not
humorous, but clever. Well, maybe not so clever, but cute. Oh look -
Swing's "cute"...

--

-Mike-

Old August 24th 11, 10:32 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/24/2011 2:21 PM, Leon wrote:
On 8/24/2011 1:01 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 8/24/2011 12:58 PM, Swingman wrote:

I still think the OP made that absolutely clear.

^
DON"T

**** ... I give up!

Roger, Woolco, and Out!

Yeah, you guys are out, but now you got me stuck in Sketchup, dividing
up 6", 5 1/2", 5 1/4" and 4 3/4" lines, 2 different ways...

Thanks...

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Old August 24th 11, 11:55 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Exactly? Six 3/4" holes on a 6" stick equally spaced? Want 1/4" of
stock between tangent of hole and end of stock on both ends?
Then locate hole no.1 with its center 5/8" from either end, (that is
the 1/4" space + 1 radian (3/8") of the hole diameter = 5/8)
That leaves {6" - 2(5/8") =} 4.75" of space to split up 6 ways.
Spacing = L/(N-1), where L = length of drilling space & N=6. So 4.75"/
5 = .95"
Centers for holes = .95"
Now How? Use fence on the drill table; let hole no.1 start its center
at 5/8" from the end of stock. Clamp in place against an end stop.
Scribe nothing; hitting a scribe line = .010" error minimum. (Also
true of lasers, sharp pencils, knife lines or chalk.)
Make an accurate .95" spacer, easiest choice = garden variety
Adustable Parallel.
Drill hole no.1, move stop x .95" (step & repeat), butt work against
new stop position, clamp & drill hole no.2.
Iterate for a total of 6 holes. Tangent of last hole will hit 5/8"
from opposite end of stock; all holes equally spaced
http://patwarner.com/drilling_lessons.html

On Aug 20, 10:46*am, "Paul" wrote:
My math skills are non existent beyond basic math, and I'm trying to figure
out how to space holes evenly along a center line in an area. Let's say I
have a rectulanglar block, 6" long ,less 1/4" on each end for a border and I
want to evenly space 6- 3/4" holes. How do you figure that? My
daughter-in-law says you can do that in one of those cheap home design
programs. That would be ideal for me. Anyone use one of those programs that
knows if they can be used for that? Thanks.

--
Paul

Old August 25th 11, 01:16 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 14:56:22 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Swingman wrote:
On 8/24/2011 12:58 PM, Swingman wrote:

I still think the OP made that absolutely clear.

^
DON"T

**** ... I give up!

That's funny! Well, not really funny, but humorous. Well, maybe not
humorous, but clever. Well, maybe not so clever, but cute. Oh look -
Swing's "cute"...

clap, clap, clap

--
Learning to ignore things is one of the great paths to inner peace.
-- Robert J. Sawyer
Old August 25th 11, 01:32 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/24/2011 3:32 PM, Jack Stein wrote:
On 8/24/2011 2:21 PM, Leon wrote:
On 8/24/2011 1:01 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 8/24/2011 12:58 PM, Swingman wrote:

I still think the OP made that absolutely clear.
^
DON"T

**** ... I give up!

Roger, Woolco, and Out!

Yeah, you guys are out, but now you got me stuck in Sketchup, dividing
up 6", 5 1/2", 5 1/4" and 4 3/4" lines, 2 different ways...

Thanks...

I aim to confuse! LOL

Take a look at my pdf file in abpw

Old August 25th 11, 02:29 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
On 8/24/2011 1:10 AM, Bill wrote:
Leon wrote:
On 8/23/2011 6:08 PM, Jack Stein wrote:
On 8/21/2011 10:39 AM, Twayne wrote:
In ,
typed:
My math skills are non existent beyond basic math, and
I'm trying to figure out how to space holes evenly along
a center line in an area. Let's say I have a rectulanglar
block, 6" long ,less 1/4" on each end for a border and I
want to evenly space 6- 3/4" holes. How do you figure
that? My daughter-in-law says you can do that in one of
those cheap home design programs. That would be ideal for
me. Anyone use one of those programs that knows if they
can be used for that? Thanks.

Just about any free CAD 2D program will do that for you including
Sketch-it
or whatever it's called.

It's called Sketchup and I'm surprised Swing and Leon didn't mention
it.

Simply draw a line the distance you want, "select" the line with the
select tool (space bar), right click on the line and choose "divide"
from the resultant pop up window. Move the mouse along the line and it
will be divided into whatever number of divisions you want, and
based on
the length units you use(window/model info.) I use 1/16th's. The red
dots show on the line, and the distance between the dots is given.

Once you have the right number of dots, click and it puts invisible
markers (invisible until you roll over them) so you can do whatever you
want with them, or just write down the distance and have at it.

For 6 holes in 6 inches you need 7 segments, and each hole will be
55/64's or 7/8ths. I can't see 64ths so 14/16th work fine for me:-)

Might want to reread the specifics, the holes have to be 3/4".

I haven't read all of the messages before this one, so please excuse me
if this has been suggested. But why not build a *paper model* (you don't
need high-power computer software for this problem). Cut out a 6" piece
of paper and some circles (use a marker and color them black if it helps
you see them). Then move them around until it looks right to you and
then tape them in place. Then you have a model which you might use in
any number of ways. I think more things have been built working like
this than by designing with cad/cam software.

Bill

It would probably be easier to read the OP, It is simple math , no
computer model needed. I only drew the model to prove the easy math.

Yes, working with fractions and decimal numbers is simple if you already
know how to do it. Personally, I think problems like this are perfect
so someone who wants to hone his or her skills--and I mean by using
pencil and paper. I hope the OP makes up more similar problems to solve
for practice. I am willing to assist if requested.
Old August 25th 11, 04:19 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Eric wrote:

"Jack Stein" wrote in message ...

On 8/24/2011 2:10 AM, Bill wrote:
On 8/21/2011 10:39 AM, Twayne wrote:
On 8/23/2011 6:08 PM, Jack Stein wrote:

Just about any free CAD 2D program will do that for you including
Sketch-it or whatever it's called.

It's called Sketchup and I'm surprised Swing and Leon didn't mention
it.

I haven't read all of the messages before this one, so please excuse me
if this has been suggested. But why not build a *paper model* (you don't
need high-power computer software for this problem).

There are lots of ways to solve this long standing problem, as this
thread has shown. You only NEED one of them.

"Give me a fish and I eat for a day, Teach me to fish and..."
Old August 25th 11, 04:25 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/24/2011 9:19 PM, Bill wrote:

There are lots of ways to solve this long standing problem, as this
thread has shown. You only NEED one of them.

"Give me a fish and I eat for a day, Teach me to fish and..."

Teach me to code fractal geometry and ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Old August 25th 11, 04:26 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
Eric wrote:

"Jack Stein" wrote in message ...

On 8/24/2011 2:10 AM, Bill wrote:
On 8/21/2011 10:39 AM, Twayne wrote:
On 8/23/2011 6:08 PM, Jack Stein wrote:

Just about any free CAD 2D program will do that for you including
Sketch-it or whatever it's called.

It's called Sketchup and I'm surprised Swing and Leon didn't
mention it.

I haven't read all of the messages before this one, so please
excuse me if this has been suggested. But why not build a *paper
model* (you don't need high-power computer software for this
problem).

There are lots of ways to solve this long standing problem, as this
thread has shown. You only NEED one of them.

"Give me a fish and I eat for a day, Teach me to fish and..."

No - it goes like this... Light a fire for a man and you keep him warm for
a day. Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for life...

--

-Mike-

Old August 25th 11, 04:52 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
On 8/24/2011 9:19 PM, Bill wrote:

There are lots of ways to solve this long standing problem, as this
thread has shown. You only NEED one of them.

"Give me a fish and I eat for a day, Teach me to fish and..."

Teach me to code fractal geometry and ...

What's a matta, fish ain't good enough for you? ; )