Old February 7th 10, 02:53 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Outlet spacing

In finishing a basement how should electric outlets be spaced ( how far
apart )

--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz

Old February 7th 10, 03:02 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"desgnr" wrote in message
In finishing a basement how should electric outlets be spaced ( how far
apart )

--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1

Every wall space 2' or larger requires an outlet. There can't be more than
six feet from any point along a wall to an outlet. Loosely interpreted, you
need an outlet every 12 feet

Old February 7th 10, 03:05 PM posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "desgnr" wrote:
In finishing a basement how should electric outlets be spaced ( how far
apart )

The minimum requirement of the National Electrical Code is "such that no point
measured horizontally along the floor line in any wall space is more than 6
feet from a receptacle outlet".
Old February 7th 10, 03:24 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/7/2010 7:53 AM, desgnr wrote:
In finishing a basement how should electric outlets be spaced ( how far
apart )

Now you have gotten the official requirement lets talk about reality.
You should have an outlet every 4 to 6 feet. That way you will have
an outlet wherever you need one. And there will be one that isn't
hidden behind something you would rather not have to move.

Bill

Old February 7th 10, 04:14 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Bill Gill wrote:
On 2/7/2010 7:53 AM, desgnr wrote:
In finishing a basement how should electric outlets be spaced ( how far
apart )

Now you have gotten the official requirement lets talk about reality.
You should have an outlet every 4 to 6 feet. That way you will have
an outlet wherever you need one. And there will be one that isn't
hidden behind something you would rather not have to move.

Bill

Agreed. Outlets and wire are cheap, and while the walls are open, it is
silly to not put in as many as you think you ever might possibly need.
Don't forget the high-placement outlets near where workbench or desk
will be, and consider doing double-gang outlet boxes anyplace there will
be a lot of things plugged in, like computer or entertainment
center/game console area. If the room is big and walls will be crowded,
a few ceiling outlets here and there are nice, for plugging in drop
lights and vacuum cleaners and such.

--
aem sends...

Old February 7th 10, 04:30 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 7, 7:14*am, aemeijers wrote:
Bill Gill wrote:
[...]

I followed the '6 ft' rule when I built and addition and rehabbed the
entire house. Nowhere near enough. Another mistake I made was
putting them near the floor. Every outlet in the house except a few
is now behind something and some are even inaccessable at all due to
large furniture.

Make them fit the rule and then greatly increase it.

Harry K

Old February 7th 10, 05:09 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Harry K wrote:

-snip-
I followed the '6 ft' rule when I built and addition and rehabbed the
entire house. Nowhere near enough.

I misunderstood the 6' rule and did my first house with outlets no
more than 6' apart. Best misunderstanding I ever had.

I have never heard anyone comment; "Too many outlets in that house."

Jim
Old February 7th 10, 05:22 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
Harry K wrote:

-snip-
I followed the '6 ft' rule when I built and addition and rehabbed the
entire house. Nowhere near enough.

I misunderstood the 6' rule and did my first house with outlets no
more than 6' apart. Best misunderstanding I ever had.

Jim

When we had to rebuild a house a few years back I swear the inspector was
looking for them every six feet.

I know for a fact the electrician had to come back and add one to satisfy
the inspector. The 14 x 14 rooms have 2 on each wall.

I would not want any less. If I build again that will be my specs whether
it is code or not.

Colbyt

Old February 7th 10, 05:33 PM posted to alt.home.repair

desgnr wrote:
In finishing a basement how should electric outlets be spaced ( how far
apart )

4 to 6 feet is a bit ridiculous. More realistically, every 96 or 112
inches works well. (and lands on a stud)

steve
Old February 7th 10, 06:19 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"desgnr" wrote in message
In finishing a basement how should electric outlets be spaced ( how far
apart )

According to local code.