Old August 21st 11, 12:48 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Hole spacing

On 08/21/2011 06:44 AM, John wrote:
On 08/20/2011 01:46 PM, Paul wrote:
My math skills are non existent beyond basic math, and I'm trying to
figure out how to space holes evenly along a center line in an area.
Let's say I have a rectulanglar block, 6" long ,less 1/4" on each end
for a border and I want to evenly space 6- 3/4" holes. How do you figure
that? My daughter-in-law says you can do that in one of those cheap home
design programs. That would be ideal for me. Anyone use one of those
programs that knows if they can be used for that? Thanks.

You don't need math:

Set the ruler (or tape measure) on a diagonal across the piece so that
the 6" mark is even with one end the 0" is on the other end. Mark off 1"
increments on the diagonal. You can also use even multiples of the
spaces needed, say 30" and mark off every 2" for 15 spaces.

John

Make that set the 1" mark at the first hole and the 6" mark at the last
hole and the technique will count the number of holes for you.

John

Old August 21st 11, 01:34 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/20/2011 5:03 PM, willshak wrote:
Leon wrote the following:
On 8/20/2011 4:42 PM, Leon wrote:
On 8/20/2011 12:46 PM, Paul wrote:
My math skills are non existent beyond basic math, and I'm trying to
figure out how to space holes evenly along a center line in an area.
Let's say I have a rectulanglar block, 6" long ,less 1/4" on each end
for a border and I want to evenly space 6- 3/4" holes. How do you
figure
that? My daughter-in-law says you can do that in one of those cheap
home
design programs. That would be ideal for me. Anyone use one of those
programs that knows if they can be used for that? Thanks.

Start first hole center 29/32" from the end. Center each of the
remaining hole 25/32" from the first hole center.

See pdf in a.b.p.wppdwprking hole spacing.

You like that 'p' key, huh?

Some times the keys on my key board trade places. '~)
Old August 21st 11, 01:40 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/20/2011 5:14 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 8/20/2011 4:55 PM, Leon wrote:
On 8/20/2011 4:42 PM, Leon wrote:
On 8/20/2011 12:46 PM, Paul wrote:
My math skills are non existent beyond basic math, and I'm trying to
figure out how to space holes evenly along a center line in an area.
Let's say I have a rectulanglar block, 6" long ,less 1/4" on each end
for a border and I want to evenly space 6- 3/4" holes. How do you
figure
that? My daughter-in-law says you can do that in one of those cheap
home
design programs. That would be ideal for me. Anyone use one of those
programs that knows if they can be used for that? Thanks.

Start first hole center 29/32" from the end. Center each of the
remaining hole 25/32" from the first hole center.

See pdf in a.b.p.wppdwprking hole spacing.

That's the same thing my spreadsheet came up with a couple of hours ago,
in about 1/10 and 1/2 seconds. LOL

The question remains ... is it really what the OP is asking for?

He could want the edge of the holes 1/4" from the edge of the 6" board.

Spread sheet! I dont need no stinking Spread sheet. LOL
I took 6" -1/2" for both borders - 4 1/2" for the holes and ended up
with 1. Divided 1 by the number of spaces, 7, and got .014285" for the
spaces, then I drew it. '~0

Old August 21st 11, 01:53 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/20/2011 6:41 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 10:46:19 -0700, Paul wrote:

My math skills are non existent beyond basic math, and I'm trying to
figure out how to space holes evenly along a center line in an area.
Let's say I have a rectulanglar block, 6" long ,less 1/4" on each end
for a border and I want to evenly space 6- 3/4" holes. How do you figure
that?

No math required - just arithmetic :-).

If you want a 1/4" border at each end, the center of each of the end
holes has to be 5/8" (1/4" + 3/8") from its end.

That leaves 4 3/4" between those 2 holes. In that space you have to put
4 more holes with 5 spaces between holes. 4 3/4" divided by 5 gives a
spacing of just over 15/16" (4.75 / 5 = 0.95).

Since that doesn't come out even, you need to take the slop (1/16") and
redistribute it to each end. So instead of the centers of the end holes
being 5/8" from the end, they should be 21/32" from the end.

Or you could just ignore the slop and have one space be 1/16" wider than
the others :-).

I hope you're aware that those holes are only going to have 3/16" of wood
between each pair.

Actually a little less, 5/32"
Old August 21st 11, 01:54 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/20/2011 12:46 PM, Paul wrote:
My math skills are non existent beyond basic math, and I'm trying to
figure out how to space holes evenly along a center line in an area.
Let's say I have a rectulanglar block, 6" long ,less 1/4" on each end
for a border and I want to evenly space 6- 3/4" holes. How do you figure
that? My daughter-in-law says you can do that in one of those cheap home
design programs. That would be ideal for me. Anyone use one of those
programs that knows if they can be used for that? Thanks.

And you thought this math problem was confusing was fore you asked? ;~)

Old August 21st 11, 02:00 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/21/2011 6:54 AM, Leon wrote:
On 8/20/2011 12:46 PM, Paul wrote:
My math skills are non existent beyond basic math, and I'm trying to
figure out how to space holes evenly along a center line in an area.
Let's say I have a rectulanglar block, 6" long ,less 1/4" on each end
for a border and I want to evenly space 6- 3/4" holes. How do you figure
that? My daughter-in-law says you can do that in one of those cheap home
design programs. That would be ideal for me. Anyone use one of those
programs that knows if they can be used for that? Thanks.

And you thought this math problem was confusing was fore you asked? ;~)

Ah hum.... and you thought this math problem was confusing before you
asked...

Old August 21st 11, 02:02 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:
whit3rd wrote in
.
com:

First, locate hole #1 and #6 (mark the centers on the work). Then
connect those centers with a line.

Draw a second line through #1, and mark off six equal spacings on
that second line (any spacing that comes out evenly on your ruler
will do). Adjust a bevel so that one arm is on the secondary
line, and the other arm connects #6 secondary to #6-actual.
Then with that bevel set, trace from the other marks on the
secondary line to the original line.

I hope the OP could follow that - cause I sure couldn't...

It's the compass-and-straightedge method to evenly divide a line
segment: make a second line that is measured off into N equal
bits, connect the Nth mark on second line to the end of the primary
line segment to make a triangle, then (using a bevel in this case
to replicate the angle) by simlar triangles, construct the equally
spaced points on the original line segment. It doesn't really need
any ruler at all (dividers can make equal-size divisions).

An interesting method. Here's the first hit for a webpage describing
the method: http://www.mathopenref.com/constdividesegment.html

Sometimes geometry is much easier than algebra.

I apologize in advance if the flash app at the top is something
undesired. I don't have flash installed on my system so I can't see
it.

Now that's a method I was not at all familiar with. I didn't get that from
whit3rd's description, but that method would require a lot more description
for me to have understood that.

--

-Mike-

Old August 21st 11, 02:27 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "dadiOH"
wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "dadiOH"
wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:

Then remeasure. You will find that:
- your block is 152mm long.

- you want a 6mm border at each end.

No he doesn't, he wants 1/4" and 6mm doesn't equal that. Close but
no cigar, so much for metric unless you can measure 6.35mm on that
tape

Do you *really* think that 0.35 millimeters (less than 14
thousandths of an inch) is going to be noticeable? Or are you just
trying to be argumentative?

Had enough of that from SWMBO this past week, don't need it from you
too.

Just pointing out that metric isn't the be-all and end-all

No, but it sure makes the calculations a LOT easier. Reduces the risk
of error, too, because you're always adding either integers or
decimals -- not mixed fractions.

Sure. Tell that to the group that engineered the Hubble Space Telescope
where confusion over metric/proper measurements resulting in the launch of
an almost worthless instrument.

And consider these two standards:

"Meter = 1/10,000,000 of the distance between the North Pole and the Equator
measured along the Prime Meridian." (Alternative definition: "1,650,763.73
wavelengths of the orange-red emission line in the electromagnetic spectrum
of the krypton-86 atom in a vacuum.")

vs

"A pint's a pound the world around."

Now I ask you, which is more practical for your average woodworker?

Old August 21st 11, 02:36 PM posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"HeyBub" wrote in
m:

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "dadiOH"
wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "dadiOH"
wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:

[...]

Metric rules. Just like US measurements, if you grew up using one, it
takes a while to get used to the other. STill good to know both, since
otherwise how would you know why plywood comes in sheets of 244 x 122 cm

Best regards
Han
email address is invalid
Old August 21st 11, 04:06 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/20/2011 4:55 PM, Leon wrote:
On 8/20/2011 4:42 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

6" - 1/2" = 5.50" /7 = .7857 inch = 1.9956 cm so 2 cm spacing then drill
each hole.

http://www.seoconsultants.com/charts/inches-decimal/ or 25/32 =
..78125 closest to .7857

Pin