Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Hole spacing

My math skills are non existent beyond basic math, and I'm trying to figure
out how to space holes evenly along a center line in an area. Let's say I
have a rectulanglar block, 6" long ,less 1/4" on each end for a border and I
want to evenly space 6- 3/4" holes. How do you figure that? My
daughter-in-law says you can do that in one of those cheap home design
programs. That would be ideal for me. Anyone use one of those programs that
knows if they can be used for that? Thanks.

--
Paul

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/20/2011 12:46 PM, Paul wrote:
My math skills are non existent beyond basic math, and I'm trying to
figure out how to space holes evenly along a center line in an area.
Let's say I have a rectulanglar block, 6" long ,less 1/4" on each end
for a border and I want to evenly space 6- 3/4" holes. How do you figure
that? My daughter-in-law says you can do that in one of those cheap home
design programs. That would be ideal for me. Anyone use one of those
programs that knows if they can be used for that? Thanks.

This will do the same thing for you:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/files/SlatCalculation.xls

I wrote this one to give me slat/spindle spacing for Arts and Crafts
furniture projects, but it will work for holes, and fence posts if
necessary.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 8/20/2011 12:46 PM, Paul wrote:
My math skills are non existent beyond basic math, and I'm trying to
figure out how to space holes evenly along a center line in an area.
Let's say I have a rectulanglar block, 6" long ,less 1/4" on each end
for a border and I want to evenly space 6- 3/4" holes. How do you figure
that? My daughter-in-law says you can do that in one of those cheap home
design programs. That would be ideal for me. Anyone use one of those
programs that knows if they can be used for that? Thanks.

"Evenly spaced" how, precisely?

6"-2*(1/4") - 6*(3/4") -- only 5.5"-4.5" = 1" total space left between
holes...is that what you really intend?

An even number evenly spaced would be half the distance from the middle
to each of the first; and odd number would have the midpoint of one in
the middle of the length.

It's not difficult but need more definition of the actual layout desired
methinks; this doesn't sound like a useful arrangement even having no
clue what the application is...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/20/2011 1:00 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 8/20/2011 12:46 PM, Paul wrote:
My math skills are non existent beyond basic math, and I'm trying to
figure out how to space holes evenly along a center line in an area.
Let's say I have a rectulanglar block, 6" long ,less 1/4" on each end
for a border and I want to evenly space 6- 3/4" holes. How do you figure
that? My daughter-in-law says you can do that in one of those cheap home
design programs. That would be ideal for me. Anyone use one of those
programs that knows if they can be used for that? Thanks.

This will do the same thing for you:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/files/SlatCalculation.xls

I wrote this one to give me slat/spindle spacing for Arts and Crafts
furniture projects, but it will work for holes, and fence posts if
necessary.

I forgot to mention: In Excel, right click on C7|Format Cell| and choose
your desired fraction. I use 1/16

The last time it was used before it was uploaded years ago, someone
obviously changed the fraction denominator.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

Paul wrote:
My math skills are non existent beyond basic math, and I'm trying to
figure out how to space holes evenly along a center line in an area.
Let's say I have a rectulanglar block, 6" long ,less 1/4" on each end
for a border and I want to evenly space 6- 3/4" holes. How do you
figure that? My daughter-in-law says you can do that in one of those
cheap home design programs. That would be ideal for me. Anyone use
one of those programs that knows if they can be used for that? Thanks.

Overkill. Easy if you just draw 6 holes on a piece of paper, just basic
math.

6 holes = 7 non-hole spaces needed

6" - (1/4 + 1/4) = 5 1/2" for holes after accounting for 2 outside non-hole
spaces

6 * 3/4 = 18/4 = 4 1/2" of space occupied by holes

5 1/2 - 4 1/2 = 1" of non-hole space of the 6 holes

1"/ 5 remaining non-hole spaces = 1/5 inch between holes.

So...

1. Draw a horizontal line

2. Mark a hole center at 1/4 + (3/4/2) which = 5/8

3. Mark additional centers at 3/4 + 1/5 from preceding center mark

4. Drill holes

Note: with dimensions like that it is unlikely you will wind up with 1/4" as
a border for the last hole.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

dadiOH wrote the following:
Paul wrote:
[...]

I hate math. :-)

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/20/2011 1:15 PM, dadiOH wrote:
Paul wrote:
[...]

Using my spreadsheet will get you within 1/64". Which should be well
within "not visually objectionable" range.

Due to the displayed granularity/rounding error of Excel spreadsheet:

Format Cell C7 = "as hundreds"

S= 5 1/12"
W= 3/4"
n= 6
x= 14/100 or roughly 9/64"

Starting with the left edge of the first hole at 9/64" from the left
border, you will be 1/64" off, or 5/32" between the right edge of the
sixth hole and the right hand border.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/20/2011 2:26 PM, Swingman wrote:

S= 5 1/12"

^^

S= 5 1/2" NOT 5 1/12"!! Damn typo fingers!

W= 3/4"
n= 6
x= 14/100 or roughly 9/64"

Starting with the left edge of the first hole at 9/64" from the left
border, you will be 1/64" off, or 5/32" between the right edge of the
sixth hole and the right hand border.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
KarlC@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "Paul" wrote:
My math skills are non existent beyond basic math, and I'm trying to figure
out how to space holes evenly along a center line in an area. Let's say I
have a rectulanglar block, 6" long ,less 1/4" on each end for a border and I
want to evenly space 6- 3/4" holes. How do you figure that? My
daughter-in-law says you can do that in one of those cheap home design
programs. That would be ideal for me. Anyone use one of those programs that
knows if they can be used for that? Thanks.

Well, this *is* basic math: all you need is simple arithmetic (addition,
subtraction, multiplication, and division). What complicates this one is the
use of a measuring system that's approximately a thousand years old.

You have a total of 6" less two 1/4" borders = 5 1/2" to put the holes in.

Six 3/4" holes take up 6 * 3/4" = 4 1/2" of that 5 1/2", leaving 1" for spaces
between the holes.

Since there are 6 holes, there will be 5 spaces between them. You have 1"
total to make 5 spaces, so each space will be 1/5".

The distance between the centers of the holes will be 3/4" (the width of the
hole) plus 1/5" (the spacing between holes) -- this will be difficult to
measure with tapes or rules marked in inches.

I suggest you choose one of the two options below instead.

Option 1
-----------
Increase the size of the borders by 1/32" to 9/32". This will leave you 5
7/16" to put 4 1/2" worth of holes in, leaving 15/16" to divide among five
spaces between holes.

15/16" divided among five spaces = 3/16" per space -- and *that* you *can*
measure easily. This gives you a distance between centers of 3/4" + 3/16" =
15/16".

So mark the center of the first hole at 9/32" (the width of the border) plus
3/8" (*half* the width of the hole) = 21/32" in from one end. (3/8 = 6/16 =
12/32; 9/32 + 12/32 = 21/32)

Subsequent holes are centered every 15/16" from the
21/32 + 15/16 = 21/32 + 30/32 = 51/32 = 1 29/32
1 19/32 + 15/16 = 1 19/32 + 30/32 = 1 49/32 = 2 27/32
2 27/32 + 15/16 = 2 27/32 + 30/32 = 2 57/32 = 3 25/32
3 25/32 + 15/16 = 3 25/32 + 30/32 = 3 55/32 = 4 23/32
4 23/32 + 15/16 = 4 23/32 + 30/32 = 4 53/32 = 5 21/32

Option 2
----------

Redo everything in metric. It's SO much easier.

A number of years ago, I was in Toronto on business. Having utterly failed in
my attempts to find a metric tape measure at home, I asked one of the guys I
was working with where I could find a hardware store. He wondered why; I told
him -- and he asked in honest bewilderment what on earth an American would
want with a metric tape measure. My answer was that I'm a woodworker, and
solving problems such as this is FAR easier with measurements in millimeters,
rather than fractional inches -- as you're about to see, too.

It's much easier to find metric tapes in American hardware stores now than it
was in the 1980s. So go buy yourself a tape measure that has dual scales
(inches and millimeters). That will make it easy to see the relationships
between the two systems.

Then remeasure. You will find that:
- your block is 152mm long.
- you want a 6mm border at each end.
- you want to evenly space six 19mm holes.

152mm less two 6mm borders leaves (152mm - 6mm - 6mm) = 140mm.

Six 19mm holes occupy 6 * 19mm = 114mm

You have (140mm - 114mm) = 26mm available for the five spaces between the six
holes, so there will be (26mm / 5) = 5.2mm between each hole. Ignore the
point-two millimeters; you can't measure that fine anyway.

The holes will be centered every (19mm + 5mm) = 24mm.

The first hole should be a distance of 6mm (the width of the border) plus
9.5mm (half the width of the hole -- round it off to 10mm) = 16mm in from one
end of the board.

Subsequent holes are centered every 24mm after that:
16mm + 24mm = 40mm
40mm + 24mm = 64mm
64mm + 24mm = 88mm
88mm + 24mm = 112mm
112mm + 24mm = 136mm
And looky the the last hole is (152mm - 136mm) = 16mm in from the end, same
as the first one.

Isn't that a lot simpler?
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , willshak wrote:
dadiOH wrote the following:
Paul wrote:
[...]

The proper conclusion to draw from the above is "I hate Imperial
measurements." This problem is absolutely trivial with metric measurements
(see my other post in this thread).

Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:

Then remeasure. You will find that:
- your block is 152mm long.

- you want a 6mm border at each end.

No he doesn't, he wants 1/4" and 6mm doesn't equal that. Close but no
cigar, so much for metric unless you can measure 6.35mm on that tape

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, August 20, 2011 10:46:19 AM UTC-7, Paul wrote:
My math skills are non existent beyond basic math, and I'm trying to figure
out how to space holes evenly along a center line in an area. Let's say I
have a rectulanglar block, 6" long ,less 1/4" on each end for a border and I
want to evenly space 6- 3/4" holes.

First, locate hole #1 and #6 (mark the centers on the work). Then
connect those centers with a line.

Draw a second line through #1, and mark off six equal spacings on that
second line (any spacing that comes out evenly on your ruler
will do). Adjust a bevel so that one arm is on the secondary
line, and the other arm connects #6 secondary to #6-actual.
Then with that bevel set, trace from the other marks on the secondary
line to the original line.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "dadiOH" wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:

Then remeasure. You will find that:
- your block is 152mm long.

- you want a 6mm border at each end.

No he doesn't, he wants 1/4" and 6mm doesn't equal that. Close but no
cigar, so much for metric unless you can measure 6.35mm on that tape

Do you *really* think that 0.35 millimeters (less than 14 thousandths of an
inch) is going to be noticeable? Or are you just trying to be argumentative?

Had enough of that from SWMBO this past week, don't need it from you too.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/20/2011 2:59 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
In articleVtudnVBHcYLpn83TnZ2dnUVZ_j2dnZ2d@supernews .com, wrote:
dadiOH wrote the following:
Paul wrote:
[...]

I agree ... further compounding the problem is it's unclear whether the
OP really wants to:

"evenly space (six)6- 3/4" holes" in 5 1/2" between the borders.

It that is truly the case, my spreadsheet is correct:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/files/Slat...finPudding.jpg - or
3.571875mm between each hole and the borders.

If he want the edge of the circles to touch the 1/4" borders on either
side, he wants 13/64" between the circles with the edges touching the
1/4" borders:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/files/Slat...inPudding2.jpg

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article , "dadiOH"
wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:

Then remeasure. You will find that:
- your block is 152mm long.

- you want a 6mm border at each end.

No he doesn't, he wants 1/4" and 6mm doesn't equal that. Close but no
cigar, so much for metric unless you can measure 6.35mm on that tape

Do you *really* think that 0.35 millimeters (less than 14 thousandths of
an
inch) is going to be noticeable? Or are you just trying to be
argumentative?

Had enough of that from SWMBO this past week, don't need it from you too.

My guess is he wants them about "this far in" holding fingers apart about
1/4" or 6.35mm or 4.115 parsecs

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/20/2011 12:46 PM, Paul wrote:
My math skills are non existent beyond basic math, and I'm trying to
figure out how to space holes evenly along a center line in an area.
Let's say I have a rectulanglar block, 6" long ,less 1/4" on each end
for a border and I want to evenly space 6- 3/4" holes. How do you figure
that? My daughter-in-law says you can do that in one of those cheap home
design programs. That would be ideal for me. Anyone use one of those
programs that knows if they can be used for that? Thanks.

Start first hole center 29/32" from the end. Center each of the
remaining hole 25/32" from the first hole center.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/20/2011 4:42 PM, Leon wrote:
On 8/20/2011 12:46 PM, Paul wrote:
My math skills are non existent beyond basic math, and I'm trying to
figure out how to space holes evenly along a center line in an area.
Let's say I have a rectulanglar block, 6" long ,less 1/4" on each end
for a border and I want to evenly space 6- 3/4" holes. How do you figure
that? My daughter-in-law says you can do that in one of those cheap home
design programs. That would be ideal for me. Anyone use one of those
programs that knows if they can be used for that? Thanks.

Start first hole center 29/32" from the end. Center each of the
remaining hole 25/32" from the first hole center.

See pdf in a.b.p.wppdwprking hole spacing.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote the following:
On 8/20/2011 4:42 PM, Leon wrote:
On 8/20/2011 12:46 PM, Paul wrote:
My math skills are non existent beyond basic math, and I'm trying to
figure out how to space holes evenly along a center line in an area.
Let's say I have a rectulanglar block, 6" long ,less 1/4" on each end
for a border and I want to evenly space 6- 3/4" holes. How do you figure
that? My daughter-in-law says you can do that in one of those cheap home
design programs. That would be ideal for me. Anyone use one of those
programs that knows if they can be used for that? Thanks.

Start first hole center 29/32" from the end. Center each of the
remaining hole 25/32" from the first hole center.

See pdf in a.b.p.wppdwprking hole spacing.

You like that 'p' key, huh?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/20/2011 4:55 PM, Leon wrote:
On 8/20/2011 4:42 PM, Leon wrote:
On 8/20/2011 12:46 PM, Paul wrote:
My math skills are non existent beyond basic math, and I'm trying to
figure out how to space holes evenly along a center line in an area.
Let's say I have a rectulanglar block, 6" long ,less 1/4" on each end
for a border and I want to evenly space 6- 3/4" holes. How do you figure
that? My daughter-in-law says you can do that in one of those cheap home
design programs. That would be ideal for me. Anyone use one of those
programs that knows if they can be used for that? Thanks.

Start first hole center 29/32" from the end. Center each of the
remaining hole 25/32" from the first hole center.

See pdf in a.b.p.wppdwprking hole spacing.

That's the same thing my spreadsheet came up with a couple of hours ago,
in about 1/10 and 1/2 seconds. LOL

The question remains ... is it really what the OP is asking for?

He could want the edge of the holes 1/4" from the edge of the 6" board.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

whit3rd wrote:
On Saturday, August 20, 2011 10:46:19 AM UTC-7, Paul wrote:
My math skills are non existent beyond basic math, and I'm trying to
figure out how to space holes evenly along a center line in an area.
Let's say I have a rectulanglar block, 6" long ,less 1/4" on each
end for a border and I want to evenly space 6- 3/4" holes.

First, locate hole #1 and #6 (mark the centers on the work). Then
connect those centers with a line.

Draw a second line through #1, and mark off six equal spacings on that
second line (any spacing that comes out evenly on your ruler
will do). Adjust a bevel so that one arm is on the secondary
line, and the other arm connects #6 secondary to #6-actual.
Then with that bevel set, trace from the other marks on the secondary
line to the original line.

I hope the OP could follow that - cause I sure couldn't...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "dadiOH"
wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:

Then remeasure. You will find that:
- your block is 152mm long.

- you want a 6mm border at each end.

No he doesn't, he wants 1/4" and 6mm doesn't equal that. Close but
no cigar, so much for metric unless you can measure 6.35mm on that
tape

Do you *really* think that 0.35 millimeters (less than 14 thousandths
of an inch) is going to be noticeable? Or are you just trying to be
argumentative?

Had enough of that from SWMBO this past week, don't need it from you
too.

Just pointing out that metric isn't the be-all and end-all

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 10:46:19 -0700, Paul wrote:

My math skills are non existent beyond basic math, and I'm trying to
figure out how to space holes evenly along a center line in an area.
Let's say I have a rectulanglar block, 6" long ,less 1/4" on each end
for a border and I want to evenly space 6- 3/4" holes. How do you figure
that?

No math required - just arithmetic :-).

If you want a 1/4" border at each end, the center of each of the end
holes has to be 5/8" (1/4" + 3/8") from its end.

That leaves 4 3/4" between those 2 holes. In that space you have to put
4 more holes with 5 spaces between holes. 4 3/4" divided by 5 gives a
spacing of just over 15/16" (4.75 / 5 = 0.95).

Since that doesn't come out even, you need to take the slop (1/16") and
redistribute it to each end. So instead of the centers of the end holes
being 5/8" from the end, they should be 21/32" from the end.

Or you could just ignore the slop and have one space be 1/16" wider than
the others :-).

I hope you're aware that those holes are only going to have 3/16" of wood
between each pair.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 20:53:17 +0000, Doug Miller wrote:

No he doesn't, he wants 1/4" and 6mm doesn't equal that. Close but no
cigar, so much for metric unless you can measure 6.35mm on that tape

Do you *really* think that 0.35 millimeters (less than 14 thousandths of
an inch) is going to be noticeable? Or are you just trying to be
argumentative?

I bought some wood taps and dies once to make some wooden vise screws. I
used a 1" dowel (yes it was 1") for the screw. I cut threads in it and
the hole to receive it with no problem. But the screw wouldn't fit.

Turns out the tap and die were 25mm, not 1" (25.4). So yes, it can make
a difference.

I got a fresh dowel and turned it down to 25mm or a little less.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, August 20, 2011 3:41:49 PM UTC-7, Mike Marlow wrote:
whit3rd wrote:
On Saturday, August 20, 2011 10:46:19 AM UTC-7, Paul wrote:
My math skills are non existent beyond basic math, and I'm trying to
figure out how to space [6] holes evenly

First, locate hole #1 and #6 (mark the centers on the work). Then
connect those centers with a line.

Draw a second line through #1, and mark off six equal spacings on that
second line (any spacing that comes out evenly on your ruler
will do). Adjust a bevel so that one arm is on the secondary
line, and the other arm connects #6 secondary to #6-actual.
Then with that bevel set, trace from the other marks on the secondary
line to the original line.

I hope the OP could follow that - cause I sure couldn't...

It's the compass-and-straightedge method to evenly divide a line
segment: make a second line that is measured off into N equal
bits, connect the Nth mark on second line to the end of the primary
line segment to make a triangle, then (using a bevel in this case
to replicate the angle) by simlar triangles, construct the equally
spaced points on the original line segment. It doesn't really need
any ruler at all (dividers can make equal-size divisions).
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "dadiOH" wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "dadiOH"
wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:

Then remeasure. You will find that:
- your block is 152mm long.

- you want a 6mm border at each end.

No he doesn't, he wants 1/4" and 6mm doesn't equal that. Close but
no cigar, so much for metric unless you can measure 6.35mm on that
tape

Do you *really* think that 0.35 millimeters (less than 14 thousandths
of an inch) is going to be noticeable? Or are you just trying to be
argumentative?

Had enough of that from SWMBO this past week, don't need it from you
too.

Just pointing out that metric isn't the be-all and end-all

No, but it sure makes the calculations a LOT easier. Reduces the risk of
error, too, because you're always adding either integers or decimals -- not
mixed fractions.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 20:53:17 +0000, Doug Miller wrote:

No he doesn't, he wants 1/4" and 6mm doesn't equal that. Close but no
cigar, so much for metric unless you can measure 6.35mm on that tape

Do you *really* think that 0.35 millimeters (less than 14 thousandths of
an inch) is going to be noticeable? Or are you just trying to be
argumentative?

I bought some wood taps and dies once to make some wooden vise screws. I
used a 1" dowel (yes it was 1") for the screw. I cut threads in it and
the hole to receive it with no problem. But the screw wouldn't fit.

Turns out the tap and die were 25mm, not 1" (25.4). So yes, it can make
a difference.

I got a fresh dowel and turned it down to 25mm or a little less.

Totally different context. When you're talking about fitting a shaft into a
hole, tolerances of 0.005" or less can be critical. When you're talking about
a border around something, the difference between 1/4" and 6mm is unlikely to
be important to anyone, or indeed even noticeable.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2011-08-20 13:46:19 -0400, "Paul" said:

a rectulanglar block, 6" long ,less 1/4" on each end for a border and I
want to evenly space 6- 3/4" holes

Here's a way to do it by only actually measuring two points. The rest
is mechaincal division.

SInce you're spacing 3/4' holes within 5 1/2 inches, you've already
defined a 1/4" border on each end. The radius of your hole is 3/8".
Thus, the centerpoint of each outer hole is 5/8" from the edge. Mark
those points.

Now, draw a line though each point, parallel to the ends of the board.
Since you're marking the center points of 4 holes and using the center
point of the other outer hole as your terminus, choose a number easily
divisible by five (like, oh, 7.5 or 10). Lay the zero point of your
ruler on one line. Swing the ruler until your chosen number lies on the
other line you've already drawn.

Then, just mark the correct divisions (1 1/2, 3... or 2,4, 6...) and
you've marked the center points for the other four holes. Draw lines
through those points and parallel to the ends crossing your center
line, and you're done.

You can, of course, tell people how brutal the math was in calculating
those points... but if you wanted to add the same dimension (x2)
outside your row of holes as between each hole, the math is more than I
want to deal with.

Posted to rec.woodworking

whit3rd wrote in
.
com:

[...]

An interesting method. Here's the first hit for a webpage describing
the method: http://www.mathopenref.com/constdividesegment.html

Sometimes geometry is much easier than algebra.

I apologize in advance if the flash app at the top is something
undesired. I don't have flash installed on my system so I can't see it.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 20, 1:46*pm, "Paul" wrote:
My math skills are non existent beyond basic math, and I'm trying to figure
out how to space holes evenly along a center line in an area. Let's say I
have a rectulanglar block, 6" long ,less 1/4" on each end for a border and I
want to evenly space 6- 3/4" holes. How do you figure that? My
daughter-in-law says you can do that in one of those cheap home design
programs. That would be ideal for me. Anyone use one of those programs that
knows if they can be used for that? Thanks.

Equal divisions on a line using a ruler held at an angle. No
calculation required.
http://www.tpub.com/math1/19.htm
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYiDDjpWsuk

Online calculators:
http://www.virginiarailingandgates.com/calculations.asp

There's an app for that:
http://www.gabrioconstruction.com/BalusterPro/Home.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 08/20/2011 01:46 PM, Paul wrote:
My math skills are non existent beyond basic math, and I'm trying to
figure out how to space holes evenly along a center line in an area.
Let's say I have a rectulanglar block, 6" long ,less 1/4" on each end
for a border and I want to evenly space 6- 3/4" holes. How do you figure
that? My daughter-in-law says you can do that in one of those cheap home
design programs. That would be ideal for me. Anyone use one of those
programs that knows if they can be used for that? Thanks.

You don't need math:

Set the ruler (or tape measure) on a diagonal across the piece so that
the 6" mark is even with one end the 0" is on the other end. Mark off 1"
increments on the diagonal. You can also use even multiples of the
spaces needed, say 30" and mark off every 2" for 15 spaces.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 08/21/2011 06:44 AM, John wrote:
On 08/20/2011 01:46 PM, Paul wrote:
My math skills are non existent beyond basic math, and I'm trying to
figure out how to space holes evenly along a center line in an area.
Let's say I have a rectulanglar block, 6" long ,less 1/4" on each end
for a border and I want to evenly space 6- 3/4" holes. How do you figure
that? My daughter-in-law says you can do that in one of those cheap home
design programs. That would be ideal for me. Anyone use one of those
programs that knows if they can be used for that? Thanks.

You don't need math:

Set the ruler (or tape measure) on a diagonal across the piece so that
the 6" mark is even with one end the 0" is on the other end. Mark off 1"
increments on the diagonal. You can also use even multiples of the
spaces needed, say 30" and mark off every 2" for 15 spaces.

John

Make that set the 1" mark at the first hole and the 6" mark at the last
hole and the technique will count the number of holes for you.

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/20/2011 5:03 PM, willshak wrote:
Leon wrote the following:
On 8/20/2011 4:42 PM, Leon wrote:
On 8/20/2011 12:46 PM, Paul wrote:
My math skills are non existent beyond basic math, and I'm trying to
figure out how to space holes evenly along a center line in an area.
Let's say I have a rectulanglar block, 6" long ,less 1/4" on each end
for a border and I want to evenly space 6- 3/4" holes. How do you
figure
that? My daughter-in-law says you can do that in one of those cheap
home
design programs. That would be ideal for me. Anyone use one of those
programs that knows if they can be used for that? Thanks.

Start first hole center 29/32" from the end. Center each of the
remaining hole 25/32" from the first hole center.

See pdf in a.b.p.wppdwprking hole spacing.

You like that 'p' key, huh?

Some times the keys on my key board trade places. '~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/20/2011 5:14 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 8/20/2011 4:55 PM, Leon wrote:
On 8/20/2011 4:42 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Spread sheet! I dont need no stinking Spread sheet. LOL
I took 6" -1/2" for both borders - 4 1/2" for the holes and ended up
with 1. Divided 1 by the number of spaces, 7, and got .014285" for the
spaces, then I drew it. '~0

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/20/2011 6:41 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
[...]

Actually a little less, 5/32"
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/20/2011 12:46 PM, Paul wrote:
My math skills are non existent beyond basic math, and I'm trying to
figure out how to space holes evenly along a center line in an area.
Let's say I have a rectulanglar block, 6" long ,less 1/4" on each end
for a border and I want to evenly space 6- 3/4" holes. How do you figure
that? My daughter-in-law says you can do that in one of those cheap home
design programs. That would be ideal for me. Anyone use one of those
programs that knows if they can be used for that? Thanks.

And you thought this math problem was confusing was fore you asked? ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/21/2011 6:54 AM, Leon wrote:
On 8/20/2011 12:46 PM, Paul wrote:
My math skills are non existent beyond basic math, and I'm trying to
figure out how to space holes evenly along a center line in an area.
Let's say I have a rectulanglar block, 6" long ,less 1/4" on each end
for a border and I want to evenly space 6- 3/4" holes. How do you figure
that? My daughter-in-law says you can do that in one of those cheap home
design programs. That would be ideal for me. Anyone use one of those
programs that knows if they can be used for that? Thanks.

And you thought this math problem was confusing was fore you asked? ;~)

Ah hum.... and you thought this math problem was confusing before you
asked...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:
whit3rd wrote in
.
com:

[...]

Now that's a method I was not at all familiar with. I didn't get that from
whit3rd's description, but that method would require a lot more description
for me to have understood that.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "dadiOH"
wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "dadiOH"
wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:

Then remeasure. You will find that:
- your block is 152mm long.

- you want a 6mm border at each end.

No he doesn't, he wants 1/4" and 6mm doesn't equal that. Close but
no cigar, so much for metric unless you can measure 6.35mm on that
tape

Do you *really* think that 0.35 millimeters (less than 14
thousandths of an inch) is going to be noticeable? Or are you just
trying to be argumentative?

Had enough of that from SWMBO this past week, don't need it from you
too.

Just pointing out that metric isn't the be-all and end-all

No, but it sure makes the calculations a LOT easier. Reduces the risk
of error, too, because you're always adding either integers or
decimals -- not mixed fractions.

Sure. Tell that to the group that engineered the Hubble Space Telescope
where confusion over metric/proper measurements resulting in the launch of
an almost worthless instrument.

And consider these two standards:

"Meter = 1/10,000,000 of the distance between the North Pole and the Equator
measured along the Prime Meridian." (Alternative definition: "1,650,763.73
wavelengths of the orange-red emission line in the electromagnetic spectrum
of the krypton-86 atom in a vacuum.")

vs

"A pint's a pound the world around."

Now I ask you, which is more practical for your average woodworker?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"HeyBub" wrote in
m:

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "dadiOH"
wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "dadiOH"
wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:

[...]

Metric rules. Just like US measurements, if you grew up using one, it
takes a while to get used to the other. STill good to know both, since
otherwise how would you know why plywood comes in sheets of 244 x 122 cm

Best regards
Han
email address is invalid
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/20/2011 4:55 PM, Leon wrote:
On 8/20/2011 4:42 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

6" - 1/2" = 5.50" /7 = .7857 inch = 1.9956 cm so 2 cm spacing then drill
each hole.

http://www.seoconsultants.com/charts/inches-decimal/ or 25/32 =
..78125 closest to .7857

Pin