Old August 20th 11, 10:06 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Hole spacing

Doug Miller wrote:

Then remeasure. You will find that:
- your block is 152mm long.

- you want a 6mm border at each end.

No he doesn't, he wants 1/4" and 6mm doesn't equal that. Close but no
cigar, so much for metric unless you can measure 6.35mm on that tape

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Old August 20th 11, 10:35 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, August 20, 2011 10:46:19 AM UTC-7, Paul wrote:
My math skills are non existent beyond basic math, and I'm trying to figure
out how to space holes evenly along a center line in an area. Let's say I
have a rectulanglar block, 6" long ,less 1/4" on each end for a border and I
want to evenly space 6- 3/4" holes.

First, locate hole #1 and #6 (mark the centers on the work). Then
connect those centers with a line.

Draw a second line through #1, and mark off six equal spacings on that
second line (any spacing that comes out evenly on your ruler
will do). Adjust a bevel so that one arm is on the secondary
line, and the other arm connects #6 secondary to #6-actual.
Then with that bevel set, trace from the other marks on the secondary
line to the original line.

Old August 20th 11, 10:53 PM posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "dadiOH" wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:

Then remeasure. You will find that:
- your block is 152mm long.

- you want a 6mm border at each end.

No he doesn't, he wants 1/4" and 6mm doesn't equal that. Close but no
cigar, so much for metric unless you can measure 6.35mm on that tape

Do you *really* think that 0.35 millimeters (less than 14 thousandths of an
inch) is going to be noticeable? Or are you just trying to be argumentative?

Had enough of that from SWMBO this past week, don't need it from you too.
Old August 20th 11, 11:07 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/20/2011 2:59 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
In [email protected] .com, wrote:
dadiOH wrote the following:
Paul wrote:
My math skills are non existent beyond basic math, and I'm trying to
figure out how to space holes evenly along a center line in an area.
Let's say I have a rectulanglar block, 6" long ,less 1/4" on each end
for a border and I want to evenly space 6- 3/4" holes. How do you
figure that? My daughter-in-law says you can do that in one of those
cheap home design programs. That would be ideal for me. Anyone use
one of those programs that knows if they can be used for that? Thanks.

Overkill. Easy if you just draw 6 holes on a piece of paper, just basic
math.

6 holes = 7 non-hole spaces needed

6" - (1/4 + 1/4) = 5 1/2" for holes after accounting for 2 outside non-hole
spaces

6 * 3/4 = 18/4 = 4 1/2" of space occupied by holes

5 1/2 - 4 1/2 = 1" of non-hole space of the 6 holes

1"/ 5 remaining non-hole spaces = 1/5 inch between holes.

So...

1. Draw a horizontal line

2. Mark a hole center at 1/4 + (3/4/2) which = 5/8

3. Mark additional centers at 3/4 + 1/5 from preceding center mark

4. Drill holes

Note: with dimensions like that it is unlikely you will wind up with 1/4" as
a border for the last hole.

I hate math. :-)

The proper conclusion to draw from the above is "I hate Imperial
measurements." This problem is absolutely trivial with metric measurements
(see my other post in this thread).

I agree ... further compounding the problem is it's unclear whether the
OP really wants to:

"evenly space (six)6- 3/4" holes" in 5 1/2" between the borders.

It that is truly the case, my spreadsheet is correct:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/files/Slat...finPudding.jpg - or
3.571875mm between each hole and the borders.

If he want the edge of the circles to touch the 1/4" borders on either
side, he wants 13/64" between the circles with the edges touching the
1/4" borders:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/files/Slat...inPudding2.jpg

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Old August 20th 11, 11:33 PM posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article , "dadiOH"
wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:

Then remeasure. You will find that:
- your block is 152mm long.

- you want a 6mm border at each end.

No he doesn't, he wants 1/4" and 6mm doesn't equal that. Close but no
cigar, so much for metric unless you can measure 6.35mm on that tape

Do you *really* think that 0.35 millimeters (less than 14 thousandths of
an
inch) is going to be noticeable? Or are you just trying to be
argumentative?

Had enough of that from SWMBO this past week, don't need it from you too.

My guess is he wants them about "this far in" holding fingers apart about
1/4" or 6.35mm or 4.115 parsecs

Old August 20th 11, 11:42 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/20/2011 12:46 PM, Paul wrote:
My math skills are non existent beyond basic math, and I'm trying to
figure out how to space holes evenly along a center line in an area.
Let's say I have a rectulanglar block, 6" long ,less 1/4" on each end
for a border and I want to evenly space 6- 3/4" holes. How do you figure
that? My daughter-in-law says you can do that in one of those cheap home
design programs. That would be ideal for me. Anyone use one of those
programs that knows if they can be used for that? Thanks.

Start first hole center 29/32" from the end. Center each of the
remaining hole 25/32" from the first hole center.
Old August 20th 11, 11:55 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/20/2011 4:42 PM, Leon wrote:
On 8/20/2011 12:46 PM, Paul wrote:
My math skills are non existent beyond basic math, and I'm trying to
figure out how to space holes evenly along a center line in an area.
Let's say I have a rectulanglar block, 6" long ,less 1/4" on each end
for a border and I want to evenly space 6- 3/4" holes. How do you figure
that? My daughter-in-law says you can do that in one of those cheap home
design programs. That would be ideal for me. Anyone use one of those
programs that knows if they can be used for that? Thanks.

Start first hole center 29/32" from the end. Center each of the
remaining hole 25/32" from the first hole center.

See pdf in a.b.p.wppdwprking hole spacing.
Old August 21st 11, 12:03 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote the following:
On 8/20/2011 4:42 PM, Leon wrote:
On 8/20/2011 12:46 PM, Paul wrote:
My math skills are non existent beyond basic math, and I'm trying to
figure out how to space holes evenly along a center line in an area.
Let's say I have a rectulanglar block, 6" long ,less 1/4" on each end
for a border and I want to evenly space 6- 3/4" holes. How do you figure
that? My daughter-in-law says you can do that in one of those cheap home
design programs. That would be ideal for me. Anyone use one of those
programs that knows if they can be used for that? Thanks.

Start first hole center 29/32" from the end. Center each of the
remaining hole 25/32" from the first hole center.

See pdf in a.b.p.wppdwprking hole spacing.

You like that 'p' key, huh?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Old August 21st 11, 12:14 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/20/2011 4:55 PM, Leon wrote:
On 8/20/2011 4:42 PM, Leon wrote:
On 8/20/2011 12:46 PM, Paul wrote:
My math skills are non existent beyond basic math, and I'm trying to
figure out how to space holes evenly along a center line in an area.
Let's say I have a rectulanglar block, 6" long ,less 1/4" on each end
for a border and I want to evenly space 6- 3/4" holes. How do you figure
that? My daughter-in-law says you can do that in one of those cheap home
design programs. That would be ideal for me. Anyone use one of those
programs that knows if they can be used for that? Thanks.

Start first hole center 29/32" from the end. Center each of the
remaining hole 25/32" from the first hole center.

See pdf in a.b.p.wppdwprking hole spacing.

That's the same thing my spreadsheet came up with a couple of hours ago,
in about 1/10 and 1/2 seconds. LOL

The question remains ... is it really what the OP is asking for?

He could want the edge of the holes 1/4" from the edge of the 6" board.

Old August 21st 11, 12:41 AM posted to rec.woodworking

whit3rd wrote:
On Saturday, August 20, 2011 10:46:19 AM UTC-7, Paul wrote:
My math skills are non existent beyond basic math, and I'm trying to
figure out how to space holes evenly along a center line in an area.
Let's say I have a rectulanglar block, 6" long ,less 1/4" on each
end for a border and I want to evenly space 6- 3/4" holes.

First, locate hole #1 and #6 (mark the centers on the work). Then
connect those centers with a line.

Draw a second line through #1, and mark off six equal spacings on that
second line (any spacing that comes out evenly on your ruler
will do). Adjust a bevel so that one arm is on the secondary
line, and the other arm connects #6 secondary to #6-actual.
Then with that bevel set, trace from the other marks on the secondary
line to the original line.

I hope the OP could follow that - cause I sure couldn't...

--

-Mike-