Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Spacing of guide holes in the 3-hole Kreg Pocket Hole Jig?

I saw a close-up view of the 3-hole guide in one of the videos, so I stopped
the picture in the middle of the close-up and using a scale on the screen
measured the diameter of one of the 3/8" guide holes (0.8") and then the
large space (1.85"), small space (1.3") and overall space (3.05"), and from
this information I decided the large space is actually 7/8", the small space
5/8" and the overall space 1 1/2". I couldn't find the specification of
these dimensions anywhere, so I'm still not sure these are correct
dimensions. If anyone has the kit that contains the 3-hole guide jig, I'd
really like to know the actual spacing.

Thanks,

Chuck.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Chuck Olson wrote:
If anyone has the kit that contains the 3-hole guide jig, I'd
really like to know the actual spacing.

I have the jig, but never cared to measure them.

When I need one hole, I use the center opening. When I need two, I use
the outside holes. Since you're I'm not making a mating piece, I
haven't run into a situation where some sort of precision spacing is
necessary, like it would be when doweling. Maybe someone else has...

If I remember, I'll measure it next time I've got it out.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
Chuck Olson wrote:
If anyone has the kit that contains the 3-hole guide jig, I'd really like
to know the actual spacing.

I have the jig, but never cared to measure them.

When I need one hole, I use the center opening. When I need two, I use
the outside holes. Since you're I'm not making a mating piece, I haven't
run into a situation where some sort of precision spacing is necessary,
like it would be when doweling. Maybe someone else has...

If I remember, I'll measure it next time I've got it out.

Right, and I'm sure that's the reason why Kreg never pins it down on their
website - - but sometimes you might need to buy stock that's compatible with
tooling, so knowing tooling dimensions could be useful. Also it's worthwhile
to know what the manufacturer decides is a useful spacing for a couple of
fasteners into a 2x2 for adequate strength, which is one way to interpret
the 7/8" spacing. Thanks for your comment.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Chuck -

I just measured my fixture and the large spacing is indeed 7/8", but
the smaller spacing is 9/16". Hope this helps.

Les

On Dec 3, 6:02*pm, "Chuck Olson"
wrote:
I saw a close-up view of the 3-hole guide in one of the videos, so I stopped
the picture in the middle of the close-up and using a scale on the screen
measured the diameter of one of the 3/8" guide holes (0.8") and then the
large space (1.85"), small space (1.3") and overall space (3.05"), and from
this information I decided the large space is actually 7/8", the small space
5/8" and the overall space 1 1/2". I couldn't find the specification of
these dimensions anywhere, so I'm still not sure these are correct
dimensions. If anyone has the kit that contains the 3-hole guide jig, I'd
really like to know the actual spacing.

Thanks,

Chuck.

Posted to rec.woodworking

We I guess I have a gloat. I'll just be making my pocket holes one at
a time with my single head Marcom pocket machine I got for $400!!!
(Thanks craigs list) Just like this one and in brand new shape, extra
bits and on casters. http://tinyurl.com/6jx3ha

Be sure to expand the pics.

wrote:

I saw a close-up view of the 3-hole guide in one of the videos, so I stopped
the picture in the middle of the close-up and using a scale on the screen
measured the diameter of one of the 3/8" guide holes (0.8") and then the
large space (1.85"), small space (1.3") and overall space (3.05"), and from
this information I decided the large space is actually 7/8", the small space
5/8" and the overall space 1 1/2". I couldn't find the specification of
these dimensions anywhere, so I'm still not sure these are correct
dimensions. If anyone has the kit that contains the 3-hole guide jig, I'd
really like to know the actual spacing.

Thanks,

Chuck.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote

We I guess I have a gloat. I'll just be making my pocket holes one at
a time with my single head Marcom pocket machine I got for $400!!!
(Thanks craigs list) Just like this one and in brand new shape, extra
bits and on casters. http://tinyurl.com/6jx3ha

A $1700 machine for $400??

That's a deal!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SonomaProducts.com"
We I guess I have a gloat. I'll just be making my pocket holes one at
a time with my single head Marcom pocket machine I got for $400!!!
(Thanks craigs list) Just like this one and in brand new shape, extra
bits and on casters. http://tinyurl.com/6jx3ha

Be sure to expand the pics.

You indeed sucketh!

Congratulations.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

Yes, it looks great sittinmg next to my Ritter 911 oscillating 108"
belt edge sander. This sander looks brand new, is something over $3k
new and I got it for $500 from a sad victim of the down turn, an
entire cabinet shop, one of many I see on craigs these days, being
liquidated for pennies on the dollar.

At least the pocket machine was available because it was replaced by a
near new Castle pocket machine at a local shop. Even though that guy
got the Castle for $900 from somebody else who went out of bus.

The Marcom is not quite as nice as the Castle type pocket machine. The
Castles have a router and a drill and put the screw in at 7 degrees
which minimizes the uplift forces when screwing compared to the Kreg
15 degree. The Marcom has the pneumatic hold down but uses a stepped
drill just like a Kreg and I assume its 15 degrees also, haven't
checked.

On Dec 5, 12:36*am, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:
"SonomaProducts.com" *wrote

We I guess I have a gloat. I'll just be making my pocket holes one at
a time with my single head Marcom pocket machine I got for $400!!!
(Thanks craigs list) Just like this one and in brand new shape, extra
bits and on casters.http://tinyurl.com/6jx3ha

A $1700 machine for $400??

That's a deal!

Posted to rec.woodworking

SonomaProducts.com wrote:

A $1700 machine for $400??

That's a deal!

I think that qualifies as a neener.

Lee, you suck!

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Morris Dovey" made a provocative statement to me

SonomaProducts.com wrote:

A $1700 machine for $400??

That's a deal!

I think that qualifies as a neener.

Lee, you suck!

Uhhhhhh....., Morris, it wasn't me who bought the machine.

But my wife says I have good technique.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"LesT" wrote in message
Chuck -

I just measured my fixture and the large spacing is indeed 7/8", but
the smaller spacing is 9/16". Hope this helps.

Les

Yes, that's the answer I was looking for. Thanks, Les.

I also found that McFeely's shows the spacings in the description of the K4
kit, but I haven't seen any other place that does. Their description also
shows the K4 kit includes the dust collection attachment, but the Kreb
website doesn't - - oh, well - - that's progress. If they can confirm that
McFeely's kit has the dust thing (maybe due to old stock), that may be a
good place to buy it.