Old August 24th 11, 06:26 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Hole spacing

On 8/23/2011 6:08 PM, Jack Stein wrote:
On 8/21/2011 10:39 AM, Twayne wrote:
In ,
typed:
My math skills are non existent beyond basic math, and
I'm trying to figure out how to space holes evenly along
a center line in an area. Let's say I have a rectulanglar
block, 6" long ,less 1/4" on each end for a border and I
want to evenly space 6- 3/4" holes. How do you figure
that? My daughter-in-law says you can do that in one of
those cheap home design programs. That would be ideal for
me. Anyone use one of those programs that knows if they
can be used for that? Thanks.

Just about any free CAD 2D program will do that for you including
Sketch-it
or whatever it's called.

It's called Sketchup and I'm surprised Swing and Leon didn't mention it.

Simply draw a line the distance you want, "select" the line with the
select tool (space bar), right click on the line and choose "divide"
from the resultant pop up window. Move the mouse along the line and it
will be divided into whatever number of divisions you want, and based on
the length units you use(window/model info.) I use 1/16th's. The red
dots show on the line, and the distance between the dots is given.

Once you have the right number of dots, click and it puts invisible
markers (invisible until you roll over them) so you can do whatever you
want with them, or just write down the distance and have at it.

For 6 holes in 6 inches you need 7 segments, and each hole will be
55/64's or 7/8ths. I can't see 64ths so 14/16th work fine for me:-)

Might want to reread the specifics, the holes have to be 3/4".

Old August 24th 11, 08:10 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
[...]

I haven't read all of the messages before this one, so please excuse me
if this has been suggested. But why not build a *paper model* (you don't
need high-power computer software for this problem). Cut out a 6" piece
of paper and some circles (use a marker and color them black if it helps
you see them). Then move them around until it looks right to you and
then tape them in place. Then you have a model which you might use in
any number of ways. I think more things have been built working like
this than by designing with cad/cam software.

Bill
Old August 24th 11, 02:36 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/24/2011 1:10 AM, Bill wrote:
Leon wrote:
[...]

It would probably be easier to read the OP, It is simple math , no
computer model needed. I only drew the model to prove the easy math.
Old August 24th 11, 04:32 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/24/2011 12:26 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Doesn't matter what size the holes are if you want 6 equally spaced
holes in 6 inch length, then the center marks will be the same
regardless of hole size, long as the size fits.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Old August 24th 11, 05:23 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/24/2011 2:10 AM, Bill wrote:
On 8/21/2011 10:39 AM, Twayne wrote:

On 8/23/2011 6:08 PM, Jack Stein wrote:

Just about any free CAD 2D program will do that for you including
Sketch-it or whatever it's called.

It's called Sketchup and I'm surprised Swing and Leon didn't mention it.

I haven't read all of the messages before this one, so please excuse me
if this has been suggested. But why not build a *paper model* (you don't
need high-power computer software for this problem).

There are lots of ways to solve this long standing problem, as this
thread has shown. You only NEED one of them.

Cut out a 6" piece
of paper and some circles (use a marker and color them black if it helps
you see them). Then move them around until it looks right to you and
then tape them in place. Then you have a model which you might use in
any number of ways.

This would be inaccurate or laborious or, in my case, both.
Particularly in this example where the spacing between the holes is
small, you better cut out your circles accurately.

I think more things have been built working like this than by designing with cad/cam software.

The reason cad software was invented was to make doing this stuff both
simple, accurate and visually useful. My "cad" software of choice is
Sketchup, and it of course has a simple tool for the job built in, as I
described.

If you have a PC and do woodwork, Sketchup is free and does have a tool
for this, just as Twayne up there suggested.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Old August 24th 11, 05:40 PM posted to rec.woodworking

"Jack Stein" wrote in message ...

On 8/24/2011 2:10 AM, Bill wrote:
[...]

====================

I would definitely use CAD software (Autosketch) for many layout required
jobs in woodworking but not for this simple example / problem.
Just do it on your calculator and then lay a decent 1/10" scaled ruler down
and mark the hole centers. Or convert as closely as possible to fractional
inches or fudge the borders to make it work out.

Note there are many woodworking calculators that can work in inches and
fractions for you, too.

--

Eric

Old August 24th 11, 05:56 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/24/2011 9:32 AM, Jack Stein wrote:
[...]

It does matter, he wants a 1/4" border in addition to the even spacing
and he wants the holes to be 3/4" as opposed to what you stated,

"each hole will be 55/64's or 7/8ths"

And FWIW the holes will have 5/32" between each and the 1/4" border.

Your method equally spaces the holes however it does not provide equal
spacing before and after the first and last hole.
Old August 24th 11, 07:58 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/24/2011 10:56 AM, Leon wrote:

It does matter, he wants a 1/4" border in addition to the even spacing
and he wants the holes to be 3/4" as opposed to what you stated,

"each hole will be 55/64's or 7/8ths"

And FWIW the holes will have 5/32" between each and the 1/4" border.

Your method equally spaces the holes however it does not provide equal
spacing before and after the first and last hole.

I still think the OP made that absolutely clear. It's why I provided two
solutions in the form of those two drawings.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Old August 24th 11, 08:01 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/24/2011 12:58 PM, Swingman wrote:

I still think the OP made that absolutely clear.

^
DON"T

**** ... I give up!

Old August 24th 11, 08:21 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/24/2011 1:01 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 8/24/2011 12:58 PM, Swingman wrote:

I still think the OP made that absolutely clear.

^
DON"T

**** ... I give up!

Roger, Woolco, and Out!