Old August 21st 11, 06:44 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Hole spacing

On Aug 20, 8:02*pm, whit3rd wrote:
It's the compass-and-straightedge method

I recall reading somewhere that you could accomplish this task w/o the
math. It involved drawing a line diagonally through the rectangular
area intended to receive the holes. It was explaining, as I recall,
how to evenly space shelf support pin holes on the interior sides of a
bookshelf.

As I recall. you measured the resulting line and divided it in half at
the middle, then repeated this with the resulting segments on either
side (marking the "center points" as you went along. Then, taking a
square to the edge of the board and through each point along the
diagonal line, made a hash mark at the center of the board. Each of
these would, then be the center of your evenly-spaced holes.

Anyone know of something like this (recalling it from distant memory).

Old August 21st 11, 06:54 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 07:27:36 -0500, "HeyBub" wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "dadiOH"
wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "dadiOH"
wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:

Then remeasure. You will find that:
- your block is 152mm long.

- you want a 6mm border at each end.

No he doesn't, he wants 1/4" and 6mm doesn't equal that. Close but
no cigar, so much for metric unless you can measure 6.35mm on that
tape

Do you *really* think that 0.35 millimeters (less than 14
thousandths of an inch) is going to be noticeable? Or are you just
trying to be argumentative?

Had enough of that from SWMBO this past week, don't need it from you
too.

Just pointing out that metric isn't the be-all and end-all

No, but it sure makes the calculations a LOT easier. Reduces the risk
of error, too, because you're always adding either integers or
decimals -- not mixed fractions.

Sure. Tell that to the group that engineered the Hubble Space Telescope
where confusion over metric/proper measurements resulting in the launch of
an almost worthless instrument.

Huh? What did MKS/FPS have to do with Hubble's mirror shape?

And consider these two standards:

"Meter = 1/10,000,000 of the distance between the North Pole and the Equator
measured along the Prime Meridian." (Alternative definition: "1,650,763.73
wavelengths of the orange-red emission line in the electromagnetic spectrum
of the krypton-86 atom in a vacuum.")

vs

"A pint's a pound the world around."

Strawman. An inch is defined as 2.54cm.

Now I ask you, which is more practical for your average woodworker?

The one the tools use. The problem is that we now have both. I can work with
either but where both is required is where the mistakes are made.

Old August 21st 11, 07:06 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 21, 12:54*pm, "
wrote:
On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 07:27:36 -0500, "HeyBub" wrote:

Sure. Tell that to the group that engineered the Hubble Space Telescope
where confusion over metric/proper measurements resulting in the launch of
an almost worthless instrument.

Huh? *What did MKS/FPS have to do with Hubble's mirror shape?

It doesn't. That's one of them there scientific old wives' tales, as
related by our resident old wife.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubble_...of_the_problem

Old August 21st 11, 07:12 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 09:44:08 -0700 (PDT), Hoosierpopi
wrote:

On Aug 20, 8:02*pm, whit3rd wrote:
It's the compass-and-straightedge method

I recall reading somewhere that you could accomplish this task w/o the
math. It involved drawing a line diagonally through the rectangular
area intended to receive the holes. It was explaining, as I recall,
how to evenly space shelf support pin holes on the interior sides of a
bookshelf.

As I recall. you measured the resulting line and divided it in half at
the middle, then repeated this with the resulting segments on either
side (marking the "center points" as you went along. Then, taking a
square to the edge of the board and through each point along the
diagonal line, made a hash mark at the center of the board. Each of
these would, then be the center of your evenly-spaced holes.

Anyone know of something like this (recalling it from distant memory).

That works for certain number of holes (2^n-1) holes but not for an arbitrary
number of holes. The OP wants six holes.

This problem is essentially the "trisecting the angle" geometry problem, which
has no solution (bisection is possible, but an arbitrary number is not).
Old August 21st 11, 11:06 PM posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "HeyBub" wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "dadiOH"
wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "dadiOH"
wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:

[...]

The problem there is clearly not due to the use of the metric system, but to
trying to mix the two.

And consider these two standards:

"Meter = 1/10,000,000 of the distance between the North Pole and the Equator
measured along the Prime Meridian." (Alternative definition: "1,650,763.73
wavelengths of the orange-red emission line in the electromagnetic spectrum
of the krypton-86 atom in a vacuum.")

vs

"A pint's a pound the world around."

Now I ask you, which is more practical for your average woodworker?

Metric.

Try it.

Old August 22nd 11, 01:24 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Some people just cant do the math and since that is what this OP was
about... Doug rules supreme.

---------------
"Doug Miller" wrote in message ...
Totally different context. When you're talking about fitting a shaft into a
hole, tolerances of 0.005" or less can be critical. When you're talking
about
a border around something, the difference between 1/4" and 6mm is unlikely
be important to anyone, or indeed even noticeable.

Old August 22nd 11, 02:28 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/21/2011 9:43 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 8/21/2011 6:40 AM, Leon wrote:
On 8/20/2011 5:14 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 8/20/2011 4:55 PM, Leon wrote:
On 8/20/2011 4:42 PM, Leon wrote:
On 8/20/2011 12:46 PM, Paul wrote:
My math skills are non existent beyond basic math, and I'm trying to
figure out how to space holes evenly along a center line in an area.
Let's say I have a rectulanglar block, 6" long ,less 1/4" on each end
for a border and I want to evenly space 6- 3/4" holes. How do you
figure
that? My daughter-in-law says you can do that in one of those cheap
home
design programs. That would be ideal for me. Anyone use one of those
programs that knows if they can be used for that? Thanks.

Start first hole center 29/32" from the end. Center each of the
remaining hole 25/32" from the first hole center.

See pdf in a.b.p.wppdwprking hole spacing.

That's the same thing my spreadsheet came up with a couple of hours ago,
in about 1/10 and 1/2 seconds. LOL

The question remains ... is it really what the OP is asking for?

He could want the edge of the holes 1/4" from the edge of the 6" board.

Spread sheet! I dont need no stinking Spread sheet. LOL
I took 6" -1/2" for both borders - 4 1/2" for the holes and ended up
with 1. Divided 1 by the number of spaces, 7, and got .014285" for the
spaces, then I drew it. '~0

Except that it's .140xxx". LOL

FARK! Maybe I do need a spread sheet.

Old August 22nd 11, 02:37 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/21/2011 10:17 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 8/21/2011 6:40 AM, Leon wrote:

Spread sheet! I dont need no stinking Spread sheet. LOL

Getting older each day, I simply got damned tired of rebuilding the
wheel every time I needed to _quickly_, and evenly, space slats between
table or chair legs _without fuss_.

... and without putting the decimal place in the wrong spot.

So I sat down, expressed how I came up with a solution algebraically
one that ALWAYS works, to the decimal point each time I had to do it,
and in less time that it takes to tell, and put it in a spreadsheet.

It's called making technology work for you ... when you get old enough
to experience old timer's disease, you'll understand, you young
whippersnapper!

may be sooner than you think with that B'day within a week

ROTFLA,,,, It bites me in the ass every time! We have been cleaning
dads house out for the last 4 days, 37 years of collecting.

Speaking of Bdays, my neighbor the computer guy's wife used to live in
the same neighborhood as my dad, she lived in a 6 house cu-de-sak that
was the end all to Christmas decorating. Any way her Bday is 8/24.
Old August 22nd 11, 04:32 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/21/2011 6:40 AM, Leon wrote:

[...]

Where do we send the BD cards?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Old August 22nd 11, 05:59 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/21/2011 6:40 AM, Leon wrote:

[...]

Each of us would prefer money! ;~) Four of us have birthdays
beginning and ending 8/22 and 8/27.