Posted to rec.woodworking

Default O/T: NBA FInals

Regardless of your interest in professional basketball or what team
you support, if any, the current NBA finals are great entertainment.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default NBA FInals

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
.com...
Regardless of your interest in professional basketball or what team you
support, if any, the current NBA finals are great entertainment.

Lew

Hard to be entertained when you don't care.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/8/2011 4:03 AM, Lobby Dosser wrote:
"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
.com...
Regardless of your interest in professional basketball or what team
you support, if any, the current NBA finals are great entertainment.

Lew

Hard to be entertained when you don't care.

What he said ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 8, 5:03*am, "Lobby Dosser" wrote:
"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message

.com...

Regardless of your interest in professional basketball or what team you
support, if any, the current NBA finals are great entertainment.

Lew

Hard to be entertained when you don't care.

Never one who takes exceptions to things said here, I must proffer
that in Anthony Weiner's case, I can't think of anything I care less
about, yet find mildly entertaining.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
On 6/8/2011 4:03 AM, Lobby Dosser wrote:
"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
.com...
Regardless of your interest in professional basketball or what team
you support, if any, the current NBA finals are great entertainment.

Lew

Hard to be entertained when you don't care.

What he said ...

Tough crowd!

I have no concern about the outcome, but I can appreciate excellence
when I see it. Just another version of "form and function"!
The same holds for bowling and curling. Although it gets harder and
harder to call any "sport" in which you can drink beer and smoke while
you're playing it a sport...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
.com...

Regardless of your interest in professional basketball

As close to zero as can be measured with current technology.

or what team you support, if any, the current NBA finals are great
entertainment.

I don't think that makes sense. If you just don't enjoy watching a
particular sport then no matter how good it is at the moment you're unlikely
to consider it great entertainment. I don't know why basketball leaves me
cold as I enjoy watching quite a few other sports, but if you gave me
tickets to an NBA game I'd pass them onto someone who would appreciate the
experience.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Regardless of your interest in professional basketball or what team
you support, if any, the current NBA finals are great entertainment.

Yes, great games so far, though I've seen only the 3rd.

My wife and I were sort of rooting for Dallas even though I think
the owner is a d-head. The fact that the Heat loaded up with
talent over the summer primarily to win this championship allowed
me to take the underdog team to heart.

The Heat will win a championship, if not this year, certainly
next year or beyond. They just won't, to me, be the teams that
dominated the 70's and 80's. Chicago, LA (with Magic and Kareem),
Boston, NY. These teams seem to represent their hometowns.
The Heat seems to represent the money that the owner has. I'd suspect
that the good people of Miami might disagree.

The fact that the Heat is not running through the Mavs is good.
Certainly
it's great for the TV revenues as well as the entertainment value.

Go Mavs!

MJ
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 6/7/2011 11:51 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Regardless of your interest in professional basketball or what team
you support, if any, the current NBA finals are great entertainment.

Any relationship of the NBA to basketball as a sport is purely
coincidental...

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
.com...
Regardless of your interest in professional basketball or what team you
support, if any, the current NBA finals are great entertainment.

Lew

While I respect your choice of entertainment I would rather watch a test
pattern.

Max (or even worse, a Jerry Springer episode)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Max" wrote:
"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
.com...
Regardless of your interest in professional basketball or what team you
support, if any, the current NBA finals are great entertainment.

Lew

While I respect your choice of entertainment I would rather watch a test pattern.

Max (or even worse, a Jerry Springer episode)

My sentiments exactly ... Well, maybe not JS!

--
www.ewoodshop.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
.com...
Regardless of your interest in professional basketball or what team you
support, if any, the current NBA finals are great entertainment.

Lew

What's worse, the majority of players are about as educated as a dog chasing
a car. Must be nice to be stupid and a millionaire at the same time.

Posted to rec.woodworking

SBH wrote:
"Lew wrote in message
.com...
Regardless of your interest in professional basketball or what team you
support, if any, the current NBA finals are great entertainment.

Lew

What's worse, the majority of players are about as educated as a dog chasing
a car. Must be nice to be stupid and a millionaire at the same time.

Wow, I wonder if there is a negative correlation between being a ww and
being a sports fan. Either that or the dyed in the wood sports fans are
keeping a low profile...

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 06:16:00 -0400, Bill wrote:

SBH wrote:
"Lew wrote in message
.com...
Regardless of your interest in professional basketball or what team you
support, if any, the current NBA finals are great entertainment.

Lew

What's worse, the majority of players are about as educated as a dog chasing
a car. Must be nice to be stupid and a millionaire at the same time.

Wow, I wonder if there is a negative correlation between being a ww and
being a sports fan. Either that or the dyed in the wood sports fans are
keeping a low profile...

Bill

Could be, In my case, any activity that I am doing(however trivial)
trumps spectating. I do make an exception, I stop what I am doing
and spend 3 mins a year watching the Kentucky Derby.

basilisk
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/9/2011 5:16 AM, Bill wrote:
SBH wrote:
"Lew wrote in message
.com...
Regardless of your interest in professional basketball or what team you
support, if any, the current NBA finals are great entertainment.

Lew

What's worse, the majority of players are about as educated as a dog
chasing
a car. Must be nice to be stupid and a millionaire at the same time.

Wow, I wonder if there is a negative correlation between being a ww and
being a sports fan. Either that or the dyed in the wood sports fans are
keeping a low profile...

Speaking for myself only, this fixation on sports in our culture, and
particularly in our schools, has gotten completely out of hand. Two
dufi, incapable of figuring out that the brim of the cap goes over the
eyes, high fiving each other while emitting grunting sounds because some
other trained dufus is jerk dancing after carrying a ball over a chalk
line in front of 50,000 other dufi, is totally inane, disgusting, a
waste of time, a waste of money, and an abomination.

Come to think of it ... Max is right. I'd rather be forced to watch
Jerry Springer.

Give me a good honest "sport", like boxing. Yeah, that's the ticket!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 9, 8:18*am, Swingman wrote:
On 6/9/2011 5:16 AM, Bill wrote:

SBH wrote:
"Lew wrote in message
eb.com...
[...]

Boxing can be a great sport to watch if there are two closely matched
fighters, both with good KO ratios, etc.
To see two big heavyweights going toe-to-toe can be spectacular. Or
the insane flurries of lighter weight classes.
Back in the 70's, I laid out quite a few bucks to go see great fights
on closed circuit pay per views.
Hell, I even paid to see Foreman fight the 'Toronto Five' live. What a
farce that was. (If you don't know what that fight was all about,
don't waste your time Googling it, what an embarrassment to the
sport.)

Watching hobby league baseball in Kew Beach Toronto with a cold beer
on a Sunday afternoon, with random dogs stopping by for a scratch
behind their ears, kids with squirt guns, french fry truck, live music
in the background... that is 'spectating' at its finest.

Then, as a certified 'Petrol Head', I go check out the Top Fuelers at
Grand Bend MotorPlex once a year or so. Something about the smell of
burnt fuel and rubber and that unreal noise.......

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
On 6/9/2011 5:16 AM, Bill wrote:
SBH wrote:
"Lew wrote in message
.com...
Regardless of your interest in professional basketball or what team you
support, if any, the current NBA finals are great entertainment.

Lew

What's worse, the majority of players are about as educated as a dog
chasing
a car. Must be nice to be stupid and a millionaire at the same time.

Wow, I wonder if there is a negative correlation between being a ww and
being a sports fan. Either that or the dyed in the wood sports fans are
keeping a low profile...

Speaking for myself only, this fixation on sports in our culture, and
particularly in our schools, has gotten completely out of hand.

I totally agree with you in spirit. In the case of collegiate sports,
they help form an "important" connection between the institutions and
their alumni (and other potential supporters). They are a thought-out
part of the equation. In the case of professional sports, the
benefactors seem to go on forever (restaurants, hotels, companies that
make and sell beer,...). In Oklahoma, where I lived for few years,
people seem to live for Friday-night high school football..lol. I'll
leave it to someone who can surely do better than me to justify the
economics behind high school sports.

Someone wrote (somewhere) that the athletes on the field are surrogates
for us. We don't need to play tennis, we can play through put name of
modern tennis pro here. We're encouraged to be consumers rather than
producers by our cultu the food is ready to eat, the music is ready
to listen to, the sports (surrogates) are ready to watch, the furniture
is ready to use, the disposable fiction is ready to read. I think this
goes a long way towards explaining, in an indirect way, the appeal to me
of some of the (mostly forgotten) crafts. Having the ability to make
stuff is important to me no matter to what level (of production) that I
actually make stuff. It makes me feel more whole somehow. Taking another
side, I do enjoy hot water and electricity that are ready to use!

Wrapping things up, spectator sports may just be a simple by-product of
capitalism. Too much of anything is usually not good for you... Someone
must have written a book by now on some of the negative consequences of
sports in society? Thinking of sports as an institution, even the
Catholic church must stand impressed...and I think that's really quite a
statement to be able to make! Go Saints!
Do you know which city the Saints hail from? Can you write down the
Quadratic Formula?

Bill

Two
dufi, incapable of figuring out that the brim of the cap goes over the
eyes, high fiving each other while emitting grunting sounds because some
other trained dufus is jerk dancing after carrying a ball over a chalk
line in front of 50,000 other dufi, is totally inane, disgusting, a
waste of time, a waste of money, and an abomination.

Come to think of it ... Max is right. I'd rather be forced to watch
Jerry Springer.

Give me a good honest "sport", like boxing. Yeah, that's the ticket!

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Swingman wrote in
:

On 6/9/2011 5:16 AM, Bill wrote:
SBH wrote:
"Lew wrote in message
.com...
[...]

Let's go back to Roman times.
Gladiators!
Defend yourself with a toothpick against the tiger!

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Han" wrote in message
Swingman wrote in
:

On 6/9/2011 5:16 AM, Bill wrote:
SBH wrote:
"Lew wrote in message
.com...
[...]

Woodworking, like other things yielding a product for
effort, gets a vote here. Yet, it's hard not to admire a startling
maneuver or stunning record effort. We all have recollections
of those. Because it was so different, I'd occasionally
catch a Sumo tournament. It's not simply a version
of "Japan's Biggest Unloser" with collisions. Go to
Youtube and look for Mainoumi ("The Human Hardware
Store of Techniques) jumping over a charging rival and
your eyes might perk. Google has a bit on him:
http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&h...w=1049&bih=667

Where it comes to cities crying that they don't field a pro
sports team, as if that discredits them or makes them
walking dead...that's a tad unbalanced. Then the
cynical Roman phrase comes back, "Ad captandum vulgum,
panem et circenses." To rule the mob, bread and circuses.

But circuses are way cool, as long as they have ringmasters
and She Ra riding a bareback zebra.

Han, we can tag team that Tiger. It would
be cruel to see an animal go hungry.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 6/9/2011 7:18 AM, Swingman wrote:
Speaking for myself only, this fixation on sports in our culture, and
particularly in our schools, has gotten completely out of hand. ...
... carrying a ball over a chalk
line in front of 50,000 other dufi, is totally inane, disgusting, a
waste of time, a waste of money, and an abomination.

I'll agree in part w/ Bill...while they've grown and TV revenues
dominate excessively, collegiate athletics in the US are a tremendous
generator of alumni support in real ways besides the obvious of fans in
the stadium on Saturday afternoon.

My alma mater was a complete doormat in a major conference for years
until quite some time after I had matriculated a new President made the
commitment to finally turn the program around and managed to do so.

The support to the university in all academic areas that followed was
not to be believed--success instills an awareness and commitment to
ensure success in other areas as well that for some reason is seemingly
nearly if not impossible to generate by simply appealing to the
straightforward campaign approach.

I don't agree that it's necessarily a capitalistic phenomenon alone,
however; one only has to look at the prominence in definitely
non-capitalistic countries for confirmation of that.

Back to the OPs comment, while as noted before I think the NBA form of
basketball is a terrible sport, I do pay at least a modicum of attention
(in large part because of limited over-the-air viewing, if there's going
to be anything at all on, it'll be it w/ the sound down while either
listen to a local baseball semi-pro broadcast and/or reading...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/9/2011 8:38 AM, Robatoy wrote:

Boxing can be a great sport to watch if there are two closely matched
fighters, both with good KO ratios, etc.

Boxing is the only "sport" I enjoy watching. Dad was a LA GG champ, and
I boxed as a kid and into college before it was outlawed as an
intercollegiate sport in my freshman year, and being so trained, later
for fun and profit in the wilds of Oz.

Watching hobby league baseball in Kew Beach Toronto with a cold beer
on a Sunday afternoon, with random dogs stopping by for a scratch
behind their ears, kids with squirt guns, french fry truck, live music
in the background... that is 'spectating' at its finest.

I used to love to watch minor league ball. When stationed in Fort Bliss,
TX I went most evenings during the summer to watch the El Paso Sun Kings
play.

I detest MLB since it got populated by a buncha asshats who walk to
first base instead of trying to beat the throw.

Then, as a certified 'Petrol Head', I go check out the Top Fuelers at
Grand Bend MotorPlex once a year or so. Something about the smell of
burnt fuel and rubber and that unreal noise.......

I was briefly infatuated with Grand Prix racing as a kid, but I'd rather
be a participant that a spectator in any endeavor.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/9/11 5:16 AM, Bill wrote:

Wow, I wonder if there is a negative correlation between being a ww and
being a sports fan. Either that or the dyed in the wood sports fans are
keeping a low profile...

Bill

You say "sports" in a thread about the NBA like someone says, "wood" in
a thread about cherry furniture.

I love baseball. Don't care for basketball, especially since LBJ left
Cleveland.... to stay on topic... I reeeeeeeally hope the Mavs win for
that very reason.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
On 6/9/11 5:16 AM, Bill wrote:

Wow, I wonder if there is a negative correlation between being a ww and
being a sports fan. Either that or the dyed in the wood sports fans are
keeping a low profile...

Bill

You say "sports" in a thread about the NBA like someone says, "wood" in
a thread about cherry furniture.

I failed to hide my lack of enthusiasm, did I? I hinted in two earlier
posts in this thread that (1) I can appreciate excellence in just about
any sport, I think (I'm not so sure about bull-fighting) and (2) I agree
with the poster who thinks we are a little "over the top" about our
sports in the US. I even enjoy baseball a bit, but whoever is pushing
each team to play 160+ games per season--I hope don't they are not doing
it on my account! ; )

Bill

I love baseball. Don't care for basketball, especially since LBJ left
Cleveland.... to stay on topic... I reeeeeeeally hope the Mavs win for
that very reason.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:

I totally agree with you in spirit. In the case of collegiate sports,
they help form an "important" connection between the institutions and
their alumni (and other potential supporters). They are a thought-out
part of the equation.

Indeed they are a very well thought out part of the equation. Straight from
the Accounting Department. Colleiate sports are all about the income. Look
how many college sports figures actually even know what college is all
about...

Someone wrote (somewhere) that the athletes on the field are
surrogates for us. We don't need to play tennis, we can play through
put name of modern tennis pro here. We're encouraged to be
consumers rather than producers by our cultu the food is ready to
eat, the music is ready to listen to, the sports (surrogates) are
ready to watch, the furniture is ready to use, the disposable fiction
is ready to read.

Maybe some truth in that, but I'd argue there's only a little... if any. I
can only speak from my own perspective and from that of people I know well,
but from that limited perspective, watching sports is more of an activity of
watching those who are great at what we do in a less great way, do it to the
max. Far from a surrogate role.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:

[...]

all sports teams foster the 'us' as in both the team and the fan being one,
and it's all about making the team be the surrogate. it's much easier to get
the city to spend public money to give them an arena this way. if it was
about watching a better team play football on sunday afternoon better than
one could play ourselves, the stands would be mostly empty.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:

[...]

Hi Mike--haven't seen you here in a while.
What you wrote makes sense to me for say golf. I don't know when I'll
be on the football field again (I don't belong out there), but that
doesn't keep me from enjoying some of the NFL games. I got the whole
"surrogate" idea from an article I read. I didn't swallow it hook, line
and sinker either, but I thought, and still think, that it provides a
good starting point for understanding (why people are often so
passionate about "their teams"). Looking at "teams" as the corporate
entities they are probably takes something away from the game. Even at
the Indy500 race, they don't announce how much the winner(s) receive in
dollars. You have to really want to know to find out.

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

chaniarts wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:

[...]

Nicely put.

it's much easier to get
the city to spend public money to give them an arena this way.

Gosh, please tell me they are not that naive..

if it was
about watching a better team play football on sunday afternoon better than
one could play ourselves, the stands would be mostly empty.

Definitely agree. Quite a few years back, the Detroit Redwings made it
to a major playoff. My MOTHER, who doesn't know one end of a hockey
stick from the other, became a hockey fan. She had plenty of "team
spirit" too! I teased her that she was a "blue sky" hockey fan... If the
marketers (including everybody involved, especially other fans I believe
in this case) can make mother into an adamant hockey fan, however short
lived, then ANYTHING is possible! : )

After writing that, I would expect that "mob mentality" would be one
aspect of an explanation for people's passion for watching sports.
One doesn't need to search too hard to find evidence to try to support
this notion.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Swingman" wrote

I used to love to watch minor league ball. When stationed in Fort Bliss,
TX I went most evenings during the summer to watch the El Paso Sun Kings
play.

Then, as a certified 'Petrol Head', I go check out the Top Fuelers at
Grand Bend MotorPlex once a year or so. Something about the smell of
burnt fuel and rubber and that unreal noise.......

I was briefly infatuated with Grand Prix racing as a kid, but I'd rather
be a participant that a spectator in any endeavor.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
KarlC@ (the obvious)

You were stationed at Fort Bliss??
Jeez, I'm sorry.
So was I. Guided Missile school, 1951. ;-)

I watch Formula One and IRL and I would much rather be a participant than a
spectator but...............

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:

Hi Mike--haven't seen you here in a while.

Back at ya Bill. Been a bit on and off in my participation here lately.
Kind of busy.

What you wrote makes sense to me for say golf.

Funny you should say that - and it makes a lot of sense... I was thinking
of both golf and racing in particular when I penned my thoughts.

I don't know when I'll
be on the football field again (I don't belong out there), but that
doesn't keep me from enjoying some of the NFL games. I got the whole
"surrogate" idea from an article I read. I didn't swallow it hook,
line and sinker either, but I thought, and still think, that it
provides a good starting point for understanding (why people are
often so passionate about "their teams").

Likewise, after sending my post I started to think that there are a lot of
people who have probably never set foot on the field of their favorite
sporting arena, who are avid fans. So- maybe there is something to that
surrogate idea after all...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 07:18:08 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 6/9/2011 5:16 AM, Bill wrote:
SBH wrote:
"Lew wrote in message
.com...
[...]

I want K-1 kickboxing and Muay Thai bouts. Those were truly
hootilicious. It makes prize fighting pale in comparison. Well, 'cept
for Mike Tyson's popcorn bouts. Cook up a batch of popcorn and watch
all of Tyson's fights before you're done with the corn. (Well, the
pre-biting bouts, anyway.) K-1 is one of the very few things I truly
miss from my TV years. They had a dozen or so contestants and the
winners of each pair fought until they had an ultimate winner. Some
guys went through four fights in a row. THAT is Fight Night, guys.

I just found this. We'll see how it is now.
http://www.kickboxing-core.com/videos/Videos.aspx

I miss the old guys. Michael McDonald in his gladiator skirt, Remy
Bonjaski with the lightning-fast kicks to the head, Earnest Hoost,
Stefan Leko, Jerome LeBanner. Artists, all.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDR2AWiD38o (kill the rap)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zxVzFjj-w8 close one, well matched.

some old highlights: Kicks at 5 mins are vicious.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Jq6k...eature=related

somebody's top 10: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud6M0xp6KEQ
turn that farkin' rap OFF before it gets started.

--
Never underestimate the innate animosity of inanimate objects.
--anon
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 9 Jun 2011 06:38:56 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy
wrote:

Then, as a certified 'Petrol Head', I go check out the Top Fuelers at
Grand Bend MotorPlex once a year or so. Something about the smell of
burnt fuel and rubber and that unreal noise.......

Alcohol fuel + nitro methane + burnt rubber tires + noise you can FEEL
provide some mighty big grins. The sound of 1,500 horsepower
crackling, just trying to idle, is a wonderful sound you won't forget.

--
Never underestimate the innate animosity of inanimate objects.
--anon

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 09 Jun 2011 13:59:21 GMT, Han wrote:

Swingman wrote in
:

Speaking for myself only, this fixation on sports in our culture, and
particularly in our schools, has gotten completely out of hand. Two
dufi, incapable of figuring out that the brim of the cap goes over the
eyes, high fiving each other while emitting grunting sounds because
some other trained dufus is jerk dancing after carrying a ball over a
chalk line in front of 50,000 other dufi, is totally inane,
disgusting, a waste of time, a waste of money, and an abomination.

I like football, but the modern fixation on sports is a sickness.
When the NFL went on strike the first time, I almost gave up watching.
The second time did the trick. Now they're off again? How many fans
do they have left? $2M for a 30-second spot on the Stupor Bowel?
Gimme a break. It's all out of control as badly as Congress.
Won't someone please hit the RESET button?

Let's go back to Roman times.
Gladiators!
Defend yourself with a toothpick against the tiger!

What a wonderful ending for a 3rd Strike felon! The tigers wouldn't
need to be fed, nor would the criminals. Recidivism rate from that
setup would be zero, too.

--
Never underestimate the innate animosity of inanimate objects.
--anon
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 10, 1:44*am, Larry Jaques
wrote:

*The sound of 1,500 horsepower
crackling, just trying to idle, is a wonderful sound you won't forget.

Tell it brother!!!!
Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote the following:
On 6/9/11 5:16 AM, Bill wrote:

Wow, I wonder if there is a negative correlation between being a ww and
being a sports fan. Either that or the dyed in the wood sports fans are
keeping a low profile...

Bill

You say "sports" in a thread about the NBA like someone says, "wood"
in a thread about cherry furniture.

I love baseball. Don't care for basketball, especially since LBJ left
Cleveland.... to stay on topic... I reeeeeeeally hope the Mavs win for
that very reason.

My definition of sports is any activity that attracts paying spectators.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to rec.woodworking

willshak wrote:
-MIKE- wrote the following:
On 6/9/11 5:16 AM, Bill wrote:

Wow, I wonder if there is a negative correlation between being a ww and
being a sports fan. Either that or the dyed in the wood sports fans are
keeping a low profile...

Bill

You say "sports" in a thread about the NBA like someone says, "wood"
in a thread about cherry furniture.

I love baseball. Don't care for basketball, especially since LBJ left
Cleveland.... to stay on topic... I reeeeeeeally hope the Mavs win for
that very reason.

My definition of sports is any activity that attracts paying spectators.

What about those women who climb up and down on those poles? What do
they call that sport? Skiiing? ; )

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message ...

willshak wrote:
-MIKE- wrote the following:
On 6/9/11 5:16 AM, Bill wrote:

Wow, I wonder if there is a negative correlation between being a ww and
being a sports fan. Either that or the dyed in the wood sports fans are
keeping a low profile...

Bill

You say "sports" in a thread about the NBA like someone says, "wood"
in a thread about cherry furniture.

I love baseball. Don't care for basketball, especially since LBJ left
Cleveland.... to stay on topic... I reeeeeeeally hope the Mavs win for
that very reason.

My definition of sports is any activity that attracts paying spectators.

What about those women who climb up and down on those poles? What do
they call that sport? Skiiing? ; )

====

Which "pole" are you referring to? Stop making me drool on my stain.

--

Eric

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 10, 1:34*pm, "J. Clarke" wrote:
In article , willshak@
00hvc.rr.com says...

-MIKE- wrote the following:
On 6/9/11 5:16 AM, Bill wrote:

Wow, I wonder if there is a negative correlation between being a ww and
being a sports fan. Either that or the dyed in the wood sports fans are
keeping a low profile...

Bill

You say "sports" in a thread about the NBA like someone says, "wood"
in a thread about cherry furniture.

I love baseball. *Don't care for basketball, especially since LBJ left
Cleveland.... to stay on topic... I reeeeeeeally hope the Mavs win for
that very reason.

My definition of sports is any activity that attracts paying spectators..

So a rock concert is "sports"?

Do YOU think it's sports?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 12:05:33 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy
wrote:

On Jun 10, 1:34Â*pm, "J. Clarke" wrote:
In article , willshak@
00hvc.rr.com says...

-MIKE- wrote the following:
On 6/9/11 5:16 AM, Bill wrote:

Wow, I wonder if there is a negative correlation between being a ww and
being a sports fan. Either that or the dyed in the wood sports fans are
keeping a low profile...

Bill

You say "sports" in a thread about the NBA like someone says, "wood"
in a thread about cherry furniture.

I love baseball. Â*Don't care for basketball, especially since LBJ left
Cleveland.... to stay on topic... I reeeeeeeally hope the Mavs win for
that very reason.

My definition of sports is any activity that attracts paying spectators.

So a rock concert is "sports"?

Do YOU think it's sports?

Sure. After a couple pills and a few joints, =all= the women there are
real sports, IIRC from so long ago.

--
The ultimate result of shielding men from the
effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"willshak" wrote in message
Max wrote the following:
"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
.com...
Regardless of your interest in professional basketball or what team you
support, if any, the current NBA finals are great entertainment.

Lew

While I respect your choice of entertainment I would rather watch a test
pattern.

Max (or even worse, a Jerry Springer episode)

Although very rare in th US, but sometimes shown, are Professional Dart
tournaments.
I am a dart player and was once a VP of a County dart league (the steel
darts, not the electronic plastic darts).
I'm mostly Irish, in case it matters. :-)

Don't know how you'd watch that on TV. No smoke, nobody spilling beer on
you, no pee smelly bathrooms .... No Risk.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"basilisk" wrote in message
On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 06:16:00 -0400, Bill wrote:

SBH wrote:
"Lew wrote in message
.com...
Regardless of your interest in professional basketball or what team you
support, if any, the current NBA finals are great entertainment.

Lew

What's worse, the majority of players are about as educated as a dog
chasing
a car. Must be nice to be stupid and a millionaire at the same time.

Wow, I wonder if there is a negative correlation between being a ww and
being a sports fan. Either that or the dyed in the wood sports fans are
keeping a low profile...

Bill

Could be, In my case, any activity that I am doing(however trivial)
trumps spectating. I do make an exception, I stop what I am doing
and spend 3 mins a year watching the Kentucky Derby.

basilisk

Jeez, there's three minutes wasted. Just tape it and watch the good bits,
bypassing ref time outs and so on.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lobby Dosser wrote the following:
"willshak" wrote in message
Max wrote the following:
"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
.com...
Regardless of your interest in professional basketball or what team
you support, if any, the current NBA finals are great entertainment.

Lew

While I respect your choice of entertainment I would rather watch a
test pattern.

Max (or even worse, a Jerry Springer episode)

Although very rare in th US, but sometimes shown, are Professional
Dart tournaments.
I am a dart player and was once a VP of a County dart league (the
steel darts, not the electronic plastic darts).
I'm mostly Irish, in case it matters. :-)

Don't know how you'd watch that on TV. No smoke, nobody spilling beer
on you, no pee smelly bathrooms .... No Risk.

I smoke, I drink Beer and sometimes spill it on myself. My wife won't
let me have a smelly bathroom, so I pee in a corner of the basement.,
just for the ambiance. :-)