Posted to rec.woodworking

Default NBA FInals

Lobby Dosser wrote the following:
"willshak" wrote in message
Max wrote the following:
"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
.com...
Regardless of your interest in professional basketball or what team
you support, if any, the current NBA finals are great entertainment.

Lew

While I respect your choice of entertainment I would rather watch a
test pattern.

Max (or even worse, a Jerry Springer episode)

Although very rare in th US, but sometimes shown, are Professional
Dart tournaments.
I am a dart player and was once a VP of a County dart league (the
steel darts, not the electronic plastic darts).
I'm mostly Irish, in case it matters. :-)

Don't know how you'd watch that on TV. No smoke, nobody spilling beer
on you, no pee smelly bathrooms .... No Risk.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message
Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:

I totally agree with you in spirit. In the case of collegiate sports,
they help form an "important" connection between the institutions and
their alumni (and other potential supporters). They are a thought-out
part of the equation.

Indeed they are a very well thought out part of the equation. Straight
from
the Accounting Department. Colleiate sports are all about the income.
Look
how many college sports figures actually even know what college is all
about...

Someone wrote (somewhere) that the athletes on the field are
surrogates for us. We don't need to play tennis, we can play through
put name of modern tennis pro here. We're encouraged to be
consumers rather than producers by our cultu the food is ready to
eat, the music is ready to listen to, the sports (surrogates) are
ready to watch, the furniture is ready to use, the disposable fiction
is ready to read.

Maybe some truth in that, but I'd argue there's only a little... if any.
can only speak from my own perspective and from that of people I know
well,
but from that limited perspective, watching sports is more of an activity
of
watching those who are great at what we do in a less great way, do it to
the
max. Far from a surrogate role.

Hi Mike--haven't seen you here in a while.
What you wrote makes sense to me for say golf. I don't know when I'll be
on the football field again (I don't belong out there), but that doesn't
keep me from enjoying some of the NFL games. I got the whole "surrogate"
idea from an article I read. I didn't swallow it hook, line and sinker
either, but I thought, and still think, that it provides a good starting
point for understanding (why people are often so passionate about "their
teams"). Looking at "teams" as the corporate entities they are probably
takes something away from the game. Even at the Indy500 race, they don't
announce how much the winner(s) receive in dollars. You have to really
want to know to find out.

The Purse in most races is pretty meaningless. It's all about winning and
how you market the win later that counts.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote in message ...
On 6/9/2011 7:18 AM, Swingman wrote:
Speaking for myself only, this fixation on sports in our culture, and
particularly in our schools, has gotten completely out of hand. ...
... carrying a ball over a chalk
line in front of 50,000 other dufi, is totally inane, disgusting, a
waste of time, a waste of money, and an abomination.

I'll agree in part w/ Bill...while they've grown and TV revenues
dominate excessively, collegiate athletics in the US are a tremendous
generator of alumni support in real ways besides the obvious of fans in
the stadium on Saturday afternoon.

My alma mater was a complete doormat in a major conference for years
until quite some time after I had matriculated a new President made the
commitment to finally turn the program around and managed to do so.

Does MIT have any teams?? Yet they seem to rake in big bucks from alumni ,,,
Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
On 6/9/11 5:16 AM, Bill wrote:

Wow, I wonder if there is a negative correlation between being a ww and
being a sports fan. Either that or the dyed in the wood sports fans are
keeping a low profile...

Bill

You say "sports" in a thread about the NBA like someone says, "wood" in a
thread about cherry furniture.

I love baseball. Don't care for basketball, especially since LBJ left
Cleveland.... to stay on topic... I reeeeeeeally hope the Mavs win for
that very reason.

Cleveland? Surely LBJ was from west Texas.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message
-MIKE- wrote:
On 6/9/11 5:16 AM, Bill wrote:

Wow, I wonder if there is a negative correlation between being a ww and
being a sports fan. Either that or the dyed in the wood sports fans are
keeping a low profile...

Bill

You say "sports" in a thread about the NBA like someone says, "wood" in
a thread about cherry furniture.

I failed to hide my lack of enthusiasm, did I? I hinted in two earlier
posts in this thread that (1) I can appreciate excellence in just about
any sport, I think (I'm not so sure about bull-fighting)

Bullfighting is not a sport.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message
willshak wrote:
-MIKE- wrote the following:
On 6/9/11 5:16 AM, Bill wrote:

Wow, I wonder if there is a negative correlation between being a ww and
being a sports fan. Either that or the dyed in the wood sports fans are
keeping a low profile...

Bill

You say "sports" in a thread about the NBA like someone says, "wood"
in a thread about cherry furniture.

I love baseball. Don't care for basketball, especially since LBJ left
Cleveland.... to stay on topic... I reeeeeeeally hope the Mavs win for
that very reason.

My definition of sports is any activity that attracts paying spectators.

What about those women who climb up and down on those poles? What do they
call that sport? Skiiing? ; )

Pole Dancing.

Posted to rec.woodworking

m...
"willshak" wrote in message
Max wrote the following:
"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
.com...
Regardless of your interest in professional basketball or what team
you support, if any, the current NBA finals are great entertainment.

Lew

While I respect your choice of entertainment I would rather watch a
test pattern.

Max (or even worse, a Jerry Springer episode)

Although very rare in th US, but sometimes shown, are Professional Dart
tournaments.
I am a dart player and was once a VP of a County dart league (the steel
darts, not the electronic plastic darts).
I'm mostly Irish, in case it matters. :-)

Don't know how you'd watch that on TV. No smoke, nobody spilling beer on
you, no pee smelly bathrooms .... No Risk.

I smoke, I drink Beer and sometimes spill it on myself. My wife won't let
me have a smelly bathroom, so I pee in a corner of the basement., just for
the ambiance. :-)

Used to shoot darts in a couple places where you had to walk between the
shooter and the board to het to the john. Made the game a tad more
interesting. 601 doubles.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
On 6/9/11 5:16 AM, Bill wrote:

Wow, I wonder if there is a negative correlation between being a ww and
being a sports fan. Either that or the dyed in the wood sports fans are
keeping a low profile...

Bill

You say "sports" in a thread about the NBA like someone says, "wood"
in a thread about cherry furniture.

I love baseball. Don't care for basketball, especially since LBJ
left Cleveland.... to stay on topic... I reeeeeeeally hope the Mavs
win for that very reason.

Cleveland? Surely LBJ was from west Texas.

LeBron James, and I don't know how I know that.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lobby Dosser wrote:
"Bill" wrote in message
willshak wrote:
-MIKE- wrote the following:
On 6/9/11 5:16 AM, Bill wrote:

Wow, I wonder if there is a negative correlation between being a ww
and
being a sports fan. Either that or the dyed in the wood sports fans
are
keeping a low profile...

Bill

You say "sports" in a thread about the NBA like someone says, "wood"
in a thread about cherry furniture.

I love baseball. Don't care for basketball, especially since LBJ left
Cleveland.... to stay on topic... I reeeeeeeally hope the Mavs win for
that very reason.

My definition of sports is any activity that attracts paying spectators.

What about those women who climb up and down on those poles? What do
they call that sport? Skiiing? ; )

Pole Dancing.

Ahh.. I didn't realize it was ethnic.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 10, 9:22*pm, "Lobby Dosser" wrote:
"Bill" wrote in message

-MIKE- wrote:
On 6/9/11 5:16 AM, Bill wrote:

Wow, I wonder if there is a negative correlation between being a ww and
being a sports fan. Either that or the dyed in the wood sports fans are
keeping a low profile...

Bill

You say "sports" in a thread about the NBA like someone says, "wood" in
a thread about cherry furniture.

I failed to hide my lack of enthusiasm, did I? *I hinted in two earlier
posts in this thread that (1) I can appreciate excellence in just about
any sport, I think (I'm not so sure about bull-fighting)

Bullfighting is not a sport.

If there *is* a sport, it is bullfighting.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lobby Dosser wrote the following:
m...
"willshak" wrote in message
Max wrote the following:
[...]

LOL. Darts is a gentleman's sport, and besides aim, requires math
skills. I suppose it has happened, but I have never heard of a fight in
a bar where people were throwing darts at each other, unlike billiards
where the cue stick becomes a weapon.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 21:33:41 -0400, Bill wrote:

bunchaposters said:
My definition of sports is any activity that attracts paying spectators.

What about those women who climb up and down on those poles? What do
they call that sport? Skiiing? ; )

Pole Dancing.

Ahh.. I didn't realize it was ethnic.

I'm sure glad I didn't have a mouthful of tea when I read that.
Two points, fer sher.

--
The ultimate result of shielding men from the
effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lobby Dosser wrote:

"dpb" wrote in message

I'll agree in part w/ Bill...while they've grown and TV revenues
dominate excessively, collegiate athletics in the US are a tremendous
generator of alumni support in real ways besides the obvious of fans
in the stadium on Saturday afternoon.

Does MIT have any teams?? Yet they seem to rake in big bucks from alumni
,,,

Different environment.

Didn't say the _only_ model; just that for the bulk of large public
uni's success in intercollegiate athletics generally reflects back into
more support and success in the academic programs as well...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/10/11 9:38 PM, Robatoy wrote:
On Jun 10, 9:22 pm, "Lobby wrote:
Bullfighting is not a sport.

If there *is* a sport, it is bullfighting.

And Rollerball, can't forget that.

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lobby Dosser" wrote:

"dpb" wrote in message ...
On 6/9/2011 7:18 AM, Swingman wrote:
Speaking for myself only, this fixation on sports in our culture, and
particularly in our schools, has gotten completely out of hand. ...
... carrying a ball over a chalk
line in front of 50,000 other dufi, is totally inane, disgusting, a
waste of time, a waste of money, and an abomination.

I'll agree in part w/ Bill...while they've grown and TV revenues
dominate excessively, collegiate athletics in the US are a tremendous
generator of alumni support in real ways besides the obvious of fans in
the stadium on Saturday afternoon.

My alma mater was a complete doormat in a major conference for years
until quite some time after I had matriculated a new President made the
commitment to finally turn the program around and managed to do so.

Does MIT have any teams?? Yet they seem to rake in big bucks from alumni ,,,

According to their current athletics web site, they have varsity teams
in 17 men's sports and 15 women's sports. These include all the
"biggies", although definitely not at the top level of competition.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 10, 9:22 pm, "Lobby *wrote:
Bullfighting is not a sport.

If there *is* a sport, it is bullfighting.

And Rollerball, can't forget that.

Being a loyal EastCoaster, Angela likes to check out movies with Ellen
Page in them.
One such movie we viewed (Netflix) was her doing rollerball. HotDAMN
that Ellen is cute.
I was going to ask Ang if I could get Ellen to come home with me,
promised to walk her and feed her, if I could keep her, but instead I
decided I don't mind the way my face looks in this condition.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote: On 6/10/11 9:38 PM, Robatoy wrote:

On Jun 10, 9:22 pm, "Lobby *wrote:
Bullfighting is not a sport.

If there *is* a sport, it is bullfighting.

And Rollerball, can't forget that.

Being a loyal EastCoaster, Angela likes to check out movies with Ellen
Page in them.
One such movie we viewed (Netflix) was her doing rollerball. HotDAMN
that Ellen is cute.
I was going to ask Ang if I could get Ellen to come home with me,
promised to walk her and feed her, if I could keep her, but instead I
decided I don't mind the way my face looks in this condition.

I HAVE to learn to check who used this laptop last...*slaps self*
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 11, 11:26 am,

On Jun 10, 9:22 pm, "Lobby wrote:
Bullfighting is not a sport.

If there *is* a sport, it is bullfighting.

And Rollerball, can't forget that.

Being a loyal EastCoaster, Angela likes to check out movies with Ellen
Page in them.
One such movie we viewed (Netflix) was her doing rollerball. HotDAMN
that Ellen is cute.
I was going to ask Ang if I could get Ellen to come home with me,
promised to walk her and feed her, if I could keep her, but instead I
decided I don't mind the way my face looks in this condition.

I HAVE to learn to check who used this laptop last...*slaps self*

Have you still not followed my advice, and put a different background
picture up for each account? It seems so easy....

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 10, 9:22 pm, "Lobby * *wrote:
Bullfighting is not a sport.

If there *is* a sport, it is bullfighting.

And Rollerball, can't forget that.

Being a loyal EastCoaster, Angela likes to check out movies with Ellen
Page in them.
One such movie we viewed (Netflix) was her doing rollerball. HotDAMN
that Ellen is cute.
I was going to ask Ang if I could get Ellen to come home with me,
promised to walk her and feed her, if I could keep her, but instead I
decided I don't mind the way my face looks in this condition.

I HAVE to learn to check who used this laptop last...*slaps self*

Have you still not followed my advice, and put a different background
picture up for each account? *It seems so easy....

--
Froz...

Doesn't work so well when the window is full screen.
..
..
But your suggestion has helped tons.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/11/11 6:30 PM, Robatoy wrote:
On Jun 11, 2:10 pm,
wrote:
On 6/11/11 12:54 PM, Robatoy wrote:

..
I HAVE to learn to check who used this laptop last...*slaps self*

Have you still not followed my advice, and put a different background
picture up for each account? It seems so easy....

Doesn't work so well when the window is full screen.
.
.
But your suggestion has helped tons.

Ok, let's call it user error then :-)
My wife and I don't have the problem, we each have our own computers,
then there are the other couple of computers floating around on the
network....

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"willshak" wrote in message
m...
Lobby Dosser wrote the following:
m...
"willshak" wrote in message
Max wrote the following:
[...]

And don't forget the balls. Particularly when employed in a purpose brought
sock. Though, most of the pool table fights I've seen occurred in places
such as a tavern where the pool table was secondary to the business. Never
saw a fight in a Pool Room/Billiards Parlor. Perhaps darts being a League
sport makes the difference in the taverns. In the US we don't seem to have
casual players or Fast Eddies shooting darts.

Posted to rec.woodworking

bunchaposters said:
My definition of sports is any activity that attracts paying
spectators.

What about those women who climb up and down on those poles? What do
they call that sport? Skiiing? ; )

Pole Dancing.

Ahh.. I didn't realize it was ethnic.

I'm sure glad I didn't have a mouthful of tea when I read that.
Two points, fer sher.

Oh, Three!

OK, since it was the best one-liner of the year so far.

--
The ultimate result of shielding men from the
effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
--Herbert Spencer
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default NBA FInals, or what is a sport ...

On Jun 12, 9:35*am, Swingman wrote:
[Jaq'sd]

It's the eyes of the animals that finally got to me in this regard, even
as a previous avid hunter ... as I've gotten older, extinguishing the
'light of life' in the eyes of a living creature is personally not
something I continue regard as "sport".

Don't get me wrong ... I'll take all the game meat you want to load me
down with and use it well, but I'd simply rather not personally kill
another living creature as long as I live.

I've done more than my share, and I'm done with it ...

Takes a man to acknowledge this point in his life.

I was 50 yards from a doe with my 303 had her dead nuts in my sights.
Couldn't do it. My guy to my right did kill her with a merciful shot.
An avid hunter and guide, he had some emotions about that too, the
magnificence and scenery was just too damned beautiful to go
unnoticed.

I did help with the skinning and draining and later cooking up a lot
of that meat, but I did find my own limitations.
I still agree with taking an animal for food, but 'sport'?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/12/2011 1:29 PM, Robatoy wrote:

I was 50 yards from a doe with my 303 had her dead nuts in my sights.
Couldn't do it. My guy to my right did kill her with a merciful shot.
An avid hunter and guide, he had some emotions about that too, the
magnificence and scenery was just too damned beautiful to go
unnoticed.

I did help with the skinning and draining and later cooking up a lot
of that meat, but I did find my own limitations.
I still agree with taking an animal for food, but 'sport'?

It's not that I didn't like to hunt:

https://picasaweb.google.com/karlcai...a pbueiLe45QE

Then again, like every good coonass, I was _always_ looking beyond, to
the cooking part ...

AAMOF, you ever need any game cleaned for an "in kind" consideration,
you know where to ask.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 12, 4:18*pm, Swingman wrote:
[Jaqified]

It's not that I didn't like to hunt:

https://picasaweb.google.com/karlcai...ingDoveHuntSep...

Jeezoos, that bunch looks like they could invade a small country. G
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/12/2011 4:59 PM, Robatoy wrote:
On Jun 12, 4:18 pm, wrote:
[Jaqified]

It's not that I didn't like to hunt:

https://picasaweb.google.com/karlcai...ingDoveHuntSep...

Jeezoos, that bunch looks like they could invade a small country.G

We did. Don't think you could get away with that in Coahuila or Nueva
Leon these days ... we did this about four or five years in a row during
the high rolling days of the late 70's, early 80's. And that was
nothing, you shoulda seen what we did in Vail and Aspen, in pursuit of
different game.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 12, 7:11*pm, Swingman wrote:
On 6/12/2011 4:59 PM, Robatoy wrote:

On Jun 12, 4:18 pm, *wrote:
[Jaqified]

It's not that I didn't like to hunt:

https://picasaweb.google.com/karlcai...ingDoveHuntSep....

Jeezoos, that bunch looks like they could invade a small country.G

We did. Don't think you could get away with that in Coahuila or Nueva
Leon these days ... we did this about four or five years in a row during
the high rolling days of the late 70's, early 80's. And that was
nothing, you shoulda seen what we did in Vail and Aspen, in pursuit of
different game.

More cotton tail, eh? :-o

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/12/2011 3:18 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 6/12/2011 1:29 PM, Robatoy wrote:

I was 50 yards from a doe with my 303 had her dead nuts in my sights.
Couldn't do it. My guy to my right did kill her with a merciful shot.
An avid hunter and guide, he had some emotions about that too, the
magnificence and scenery was just too damned beautiful to go
unnoticed.

I did help with the skinning and draining and later cooking up a lot
of that meat, but I did find my own limitations.
I still agree with taking an animal for food, but 'sport'?

It's not that I didn't like to hunt:

https://picasaweb.google.com/karlcai...a pbueiLe45QE

Then again, like every good coonass, I was _always_ looking beyond, to
the cooking part ...

AAMOF, you ever need any game cleaned for an "in kind" consideration,
you know where to ask.

Looking at pic #5 and trying to picture your bird dog, Pandy Bell
eagerly but patiently waiting to retrieve the bounty. ;~)

Times change don't they?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 12, 9:14*pm, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
[...]

I guess the Heat proved you can't buy a championship, eh?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
On 6/11/2011 7:40 PM, Lobby Dosser wrote:

Yeah, sure is Sporting. Just like Dog Fighting and Bull Baiting. And
let's not forget Fox Hunting. Bull fighting is about as sporting as a
slaughter house.

I'll never forget the first (and only) _real_ bullfight I ever saw, in
Nuevo Laredo, TX. The sheer magnificence of that animal when it entered
the arena, only to be dragged out by its heels, lifeless, was, for me an
extremely unsettling experience.

It's hard put into words, but the machinations to reduce that animal
physically to a level for the matador to be on more or less equal terms
with it, were abominations. AMMOF and IMO, a culture that revels in that
type of behavior is doomed, yet we embrace them in the guise of
"diversity".

This was despite being raised on a farm, where the killing of rabbits,
chicken, ducks, feed lot calves, etc., for our own consumption was a
weekly occurrence, and I, as on the only male sibling at the time, was the
designated executioner.

It's the eyes of the animals that finally got to me in this regard, even
as a previous avid hunter ... as I've gotten older, extinguishing the
'light of life' in the eyes of a living creature is personally not
something I continue regard as "sport".

Don't get me wrong ... I'll take all the game meat you want to load me
down with and use it well, but I'd simply rather not personally kill
another living creature as long as I live.

I've done more than my share, and I'm done with it ...

YMMV ...

I've done my share of killing (not euthanizing) terminally ill pets and if
it is between starving and some other critter I know the outcome will be
favorable for me. But I sure as hell do not Play with anything I'm in the
process of killing. Get it done. Same with hunting or fishing. A walk in the
woods is a lot different than putting meat on the table and these days I
won't buy meat unless I know where it came from and how it was treated
beforehand. Unfortunately it's tough to get restaurants in line, but if
everybody understood how the pate' or veal got to their plate it might make
a difference.

In the Minoan culture bulls were fought, but the fighters went in the ring
naked without a bunch of guys on horseback to wear down the bull. The whole
idea was to grab the horns and use the head shake to leap over the bull and
live to tell about it. The bullfighting cultures claim this as ancestral to
their "sport", but any fool can clearly se the only resemblance is the
presence of a bull.