Posted to rec.woodworking
Lobby Dosser[_3_] Lobby Dosser[_3_] is offline

Default NBA FInals, or what is a sport ...

"Swingman" wrote in message
On 6/11/2011 7:40 PM, Lobby Dosser wrote:

Yeah, sure is Sporting. Just like Dog Fighting and Bull Baiting. And
let's not forget Fox Hunting. Bull fighting is about as sporting as a
slaughter house.

I'll never forget the first (and only) _real_ bullfight I ever saw, in
Nuevo Laredo, TX. The sheer magnificence of that animal when it entered
the arena, only to be dragged out by its heels, lifeless, was, for me an
extremely unsettling experience.

It's hard put into words, but the machinations to reduce that animal
physically to a level for the matador to be on more or less equal terms
with it, were abominations. AMMOF and IMO, a culture that revels in that
type of behavior is doomed, yet we embrace them in the guise of
"diversity".

This was despite being raised on a farm, where the killing of rabbits,
chicken, ducks, feed lot calves, etc., for our own consumption was a
weekly occurrence, and I, as on the only male sibling at the time, was the
designated executioner.

It's the eyes of the animals that finally got to me in this regard, even
as a previous avid hunter ... as I've gotten older, extinguishing the
'light of life' in the eyes of a living creature is personally not
something I continue regard as "sport".

Don't get me wrong ... I'll take all the game meat you want to load me
down with and use it well, but I'd simply rather not personally kill
another living creature as long as I live.

I've done more than my share, and I'm done with it ...

YMMV ...

I've done my share of killing (not euthanizing) terminally ill pets and if
it is between starving and some other critter I know the outcome will be
favorable for me. But I sure as hell do not Play with anything I'm in the
process of killing. Get it done. Same with hunting or fishing. A walk in the
woods is a lot different than putting meat on the table and these days I
won't buy meat unless I know where it came from and how it was treated
beforehand. Unfortunately it's tough to get restaurants in line, but if
everybody understood how the pate' or veal got to their plate it might make
a difference.

In the Minoan culture bulls were fought, but the fighters went in the ring
naked without a bunch of guys on horseback to wear down the bull. The whole
idea was to grab the horns and use the head shake to leap over the bull and
live to tell about it. The bullfighting cultures claim this as ancestral to
their "sport", but any fool can clearly se the only resemblance is the
presence of a bull.