Posted to rec.woodworking
alexy alexy is offline

Default NBA FInals

"Lobby Dosser" wrote:

"dpb" wrote in message ...
On 6/9/2011 7:18 AM, Swingman wrote:
Speaking for myself only, this fixation on sports in our culture, and
particularly in our schools, has gotten completely out of hand. ...
... carrying a ball over a chalk
line in front of 50,000 other dufi, is totally inane, disgusting, a
waste of time, a waste of money, and an abomination.

I'll agree in part w/ Bill...while they've grown and TV revenues
dominate excessively, collegiate athletics in the US are a tremendous
generator of alumni support in real ways besides the obvious of fans in
the stadium on Saturday afternoon.

My alma mater was a complete doormat in a major conference for years
until quite some time after I had matriculated a new President made the
commitment to finally turn the program around and managed to do so.

Does MIT have any teams?? Yet they seem to rake in big bucks from alumni ,,,

According to their current athletics web site, they have varsity teams
in 17 men's sports and 15 women's sports. These include all the
"biggies", although definitely not at the top level of competition.