Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_37_] Bill[_37_] is offline

Default NBA FInals

Swingman wrote:
On 6/9/2011 5:16 AM, Bill wrote:
SBH wrote:
"Lew wrote in message
.com...
Regardless of your interest in professional basketball or what team you
support, if any, the current NBA finals are great entertainment.

Lew

What's worse, the majority of players are about as educated as a dog
chasing
a car. Must be nice to be stupid and a millionaire at the same time.

Wow, I wonder if there is a negative correlation between being a ww and
being a sports fan. Either that or the dyed in the wood sports fans are
keeping a low profile...

Speaking for myself only, this fixation on sports in our culture, and
particularly in our schools, has gotten completely out of hand.

I totally agree with you in spirit. In the case of collegiate sports,
they help form an "important" connection between the institutions and
their alumni (and other potential supporters). They are a thought-out
part of the equation. In the case of professional sports, the
benefactors seem to go on forever (restaurants, hotels, companies that
make and sell beer,...). In Oklahoma, where I lived for few years,
people seem to live for Friday-night high school football..lol. I'll
leave it to someone who can surely do better than me to justify the
economics behind high school sports.

Someone wrote (somewhere) that the athletes on the field are surrogates
for us. We don't need to play tennis, we can play through put name of
modern tennis pro here. We're encouraged to be consumers rather than
producers by our cultu the food is ready to eat, the music is ready
to listen to, the sports (surrogates) are ready to watch, the furniture
is ready to use, the disposable fiction is ready to read. I think this
goes a long way towards explaining, in an indirect way, the appeal to me
of some of the (mostly forgotten) crafts. Having the ability to make
stuff is important to me no matter to what level (of production) that I
actually make stuff. It makes me feel more whole somehow. Taking another
side, I do enjoy hot water and electricity that are ready to use!

Wrapping things up, spectator sports may just be a simple by-product of
capitalism. Too much of anything is usually not good for you... Someone
must have written a book by now on some of the negative consequences of
sports in society? Thinking of sports as an institution, even the
Catholic church must stand impressed...and I think that's really quite a
statement to be able to make! Go Saints!
Do you know which city the Saints hail from? Can you write down the
Quadratic Formula?

Bill

Two
dufi, incapable of figuring out that the brim of the cap goes over the
eyes, high fiving each other while emitting grunting sounds because some
other trained dufus is jerk dancing after carrying a ball over a chalk
line in front of 50,000 other dufi, is totally inane, disgusting, a
waste of time, a waste of money, and an abomination.

Come to think of it ... Max is right. I'd rather be forced to watch
Jerry Springer.

Give me a good honest "sport", like boxing. Yeah, that's the ticket!