Posted to rec.woodworking
Edward Hennessey Edward Hennessey is offline

Default NBA FInals

"Han" wrote in message
Swingman wrote in
:

On 6/9/2011 5:16 AM, Bill wrote:
SBH wrote:
"Lew wrote in message
.com...
Regardless of your interest in professional basketball or what team
you support, if any, the current NBA finals are great
entertainment.

Lew

What's worse, the majority of players are about as educated as a dog
chasing
a car. Must be nice to be stupid and a millionaire at the same time.

Wow, I wonder if there is a negative correlation between being a ww
and being a sports fan. Either that or the dyed in the wood sports
fans are keeping a low profile...

Speaking for myself only, this fixation on sports in our culture, and
particularly in our schools, has gotten completely out of hand. Two
dufi, incapable of figuring out that the brim of the cap goes over the
eyes, high fiving each other while emitting grunting sounds because
some other trained dufus is jerk dancing after carrying a ball over a
chalk line in front of 50,000 other dufi, is totally inane,
disgusting, a waste of time, a waste of money, and an abomination.

Come to think of it ... Max is right. I'd rather be forced to watch
Jerry Springer.

Give me a good honest "sport", like boxing. Yeah, that's the ticket!

Let's go back to Roman times.
Gladiators!
Defend yourself with a toothpick against the tiger!

Woodworking, like other things yielding a product for
effort, gets a vote here. Yet, it's hard not to admire a startling
maneuver or stunning record effort. We all have recollections
of those. Because it was so different, I'd occasionally
catch a Sumo tournament. It's not simply a version
of "Japan's Biggest Unloser" with collisions. Go to
Youtube and look for Mainoumi ("The Human Hardware
Store of Techniques) jumping over a charging rival and
your eyes might perk. Google has a bit on him:
http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&h...w=1049&bih=667

Where it comes to cities crying that they don't field a pro
sports team, as if that discredits them or makes them
walking dead...that's a tad unbalanced. Then the
cynical Roman phrase comes back, "Ad captandum vulgum,
panem et circenses." To rule the mob, bread and circuses.

But circuses are way cool, as long as they have ringmasters
and She Ra riding a bareback zebra.

Han, we can tag team that Tiger. It would
be cruel to see an animal go hungry.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey