Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Who is on Facebook?

"Swingman" wrote in message
IOW, if the advancements in quality of life and the increase in healthy
life span through technology is breeding "ignorance", I'll take all you
got.

You maybe right, I feel really healthy.

Except for the repetitive stress syndrome.
The 75lbs I put on while snacking on junk food when I'm playing games four
hours a day on the computer
The dozen mostly empty fast food cartons littered everywhere around my
computer, composting where they sit.
The pile of laundry that needs cleaning but I couldn't be bothered since I
don't need clean clothes to use my computer.

So, in actuality I exercise my fingers and right arm frequently, I'm
contributing to the economy by keeping the fast food companies operating,
I'm keeping delivery boys working and I'm recycling garbage by composting.
Finally, I'm saving energy by not doing the laundry and saving the
environment by not dumping my used phosphate detergents down the drain.

Yup, technology has made me really healthy and a regular contributor to the
living well magazine.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
On 5/16/2011 5:39 PM, Bill wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:

Old people have been saying that about every technological advance in
the history of civilization.

I thought of that while I was typing.

I'm sure there were old cavemen who said
fire and the wheel would make everyone lazy.

And how many people in your family could start a fire without a pack or
matches or a lighter if their life depended on it!

Technology seems to breed ignorance--especially such as the "assembly
line"--which devoured the tradesmen whose "lost" skills are coveted by
many of us. Just sayin'.

Don't look now, but the fact that the average caveman scratched fleas
around an open fire, lost his teeth at 15, and lived to the ripe old age
of 21, BLOWS your "technology seems to breed ignorance" contention
completely out of the water, there Bill!

Maybe we should say "technology seems to result in forgotten knowledge",
instead? I know that the vast majority of college students cannot
explain how a lamp works (they lack the concept of "circuit").

IOW, if the advancements in quality of life and the increase in healthy
life span through technology is breeding "ignorance", I'll take all you
got.

Careful what you wish for. I think if they double the cost of health
care a few more times one may wish they were a horse! ; ) If they put
any more preservatives and (tasty) artificial flavors in my food stuff,
I might not be able to eat at all!

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
On 5/16/2011 5:19 PM, Bill wrote:

I have never even texted (and have no regrets so far).

That simply means that you statistically don't have a child between 12
and 30. These puppies don't snail mail, email, fax or answer phone calls
... but they TEXT at the drop of a hat.

You are right. But I like the way you put that ("puppies")! : )

BTW, not too long ago a new driver in my family tree texted his way into
an auto accident/totaled car, running into a stopped car in front of
him... Careful out there.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 16 May 2011 14:26:21 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

David F. Eisan wrote:
Hello everyone,

I don't post on here much anymore, so many people have lost
newsgroups, a lot of the old members are not around here anymore.

Are many of you on Facebook? I have been posting my works on there for
friends and family to see.

Here is some of my recent work,

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...l=0a1982 f890

If you are on Facebook and I "know" you, add me.

FWIW - and it's just my opinion., so it probably isn't worth too much... I
don't do facebook. Just cannot warm to that medium for interaction.

I'm wondering if he meant "in the Biblical sense" here...

--
It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no
distinctively native American criminal class except Congress.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 16 May 2011 21:17:00 GMT, Han wrote:

"Mike Marlow" wrote in
:

i get it that many people use this technology this way - I'm just an
old fart that does not embrace this particular technology this way.
I'm glued to the use of those archaic tecnologies such as texting,
etc. Call me an od fart or something, but that's where I'm at. My
kids all use FB and I tried it, but I am stubborn n refusing it now.
What can i say?...

What's texting?

It's a method of making yourself so dumb that you walk into telephone
poles, fall into open sewer manholes, and wreck your car because you
weren't paying enough attention to where you were going.

http://www.google.com/search?q=texting+accidents
1,430,000 hits

Pass.

--
It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no
distinctively native American criminal class except Congress.
-- Mark Twain

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 16 May 2011 15:42:15 -0700 (PDT), Luigi Zanasi
wrote:

On May 16, 4:27Â*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
Old people have been saying that about every technological advance in
the history of civilization. Â*I'm sure there were old cavemen who said
fire and the wheel would make everyone lazy.

Laziness is the mother of most invention.

That's true down here in the civilized world, too, WeeGee.
gd&r

--
It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no
distinctively native American criminal class except Congress.
-- Mark Twain
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

Hey, old farts can still talk on the phone now and then. Y'all headed
down this way anytime this summer?

Turns out I may be making a business trip to Houston in the next month or
two. Will have to get together for a cold one. I want to hook up with Leon
too - I want to steal one of those F tools he's always talking about - just
to see if they're really that good, of course. Not gonna let that Robert
get away without shaming him into making the trip for a beer as well.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"Swingman" wrote in message

"Mike Marlow" wrote:
Swingman wrote:

You bet, Bubba ... I use technology, it doesn't use me. He says, as
he sits on a construction site, waiting for a plumbing inspector to
show, while posting on the wRec using an iPad2 ... IOW,
eatcherheartout!

Actually, I was an early adopter of FB to keep up with my daughter
in the UK and my grandsons, and my youngest in college. My youngest
daughter is visiting in the UK now and we have been part of the
entire experience through both FB and Skype. Basically, it's as
close to being there as you can get.

i get it that many people use this technology this way - I'm just an
old fart that does not embrace this particular technology this way. I'm
glued to the use of those archaic tecnologies such as texting,
etc. Call me an od
fart or something, but that's where I'm at. My kids all use FB and I
tried
it, but I am stubborn n refusing it now. What can i say?...

Hey, old farts can still talk on the phone now and then. Y'all headed
down this way anytime this summer?

Weird - I left the text above intact just to show that in replying to Leon's
post (Is Facebook still convoluted?), his actual comment does not appear in
the reply, though his attribut does.

Anyway - Leon... yes - Facebook is still convoluted - or at least it was the
last time I looked at it, which was probably months ago.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Han wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote in
:

i get it that many people use this technology this way - I'm just an
old fart that does not embrace this particular technology this way.
I'm glued to the use of those archaic tecnologies such as texting,
etc. Call me an od fart or something, but that's where I'm at. My
kids all use FB and I tried it, but I am stubborn n refusing it now.
What can i say?...

What's texting?

It's what replaced speaking. I learned it from my kids...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
On 5/16/11 5:19 PM, Bill wrote:
Good for you. I have never even texted (and have no regrets so far).
I Have been reading a couple books, on pdf, written between 1903 and
1907--go figure. I'm beginning to get a handle on figuring this stuff
out: Civilization (technological progress to the n^(th) degree)
seems to be unraveling humanity--at least in the US of A. I'm sure
that my statement can be reasonably be attacked or defended, but I
find it an interesting notion and note examples in my day-to-day
life. Bill

Old people have been saying that about every technological advance in
the history of civilization. I'm sure there were old cavemen who said
fire and the wheel would make everyone lazy.

Nah - they were just a passing fad.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
On 5/16/2011 5:19 PM, Bill wrote:

I have never even texted (and have no regrets so far).

That simply means that you statistically don't have a child between 12
and 30. These puppies don't snail mail, email, fax or answer phone
calls ... but they TEXT at the drop of a hat.

No kidding!!! Try to call them and you get voice mail. Text them
immediately after trying to call, and they immediately reply. Go figure.

That said, I don't Twitter ... I feel about Twitter like many of you
profess to feel about FaceBook.

And that's how I know that I'm really getting old. I understand the
technology just fine. I grew up in technology, was one of the early guys in
the world of UNIX, and had my hands on the original DARPANET - before Al
Gore invented the internet. So - I'm no techno-phobe, but... and it's a big
butt... Twitter - what the hell is that all about? The social media of
today just strikes me as too open - too much information shared and/or
forced upon "friends" that just does not need to be "shared". Too many
people blabbering about too many meaningless and insignificant things - that
they just must share with everyone. What do I really care that someone I
know had gas today and blew a big fart? Hell, if that were really
newsworthy, I'd be a Pulitzer Prize winning reporter!

--

-Mike-

I simply don't find it useful for my purposes.

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
On 5/16/11 5:57 PM, Swingman wrote:

"Privacy" issues in this realm are largely imaginary, amplified by
the hearsay of those with a basic misunderstanding of the issues and
resulting in playing on each others irrational fears.

However, I do agree with you ... some folks should never be allowed
near a computer in the first place.

"Like"

I never understood the whole "privacy" issue.
These are same people who would complain that someone saw them naked
because they walked out to the mailbox in the nude. :-)

"if" they walked out...? I don't understand...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

FWIW - and it's just my opinion., so it probably isn't worth too
much... I don't do facebook. Just cannot warm to that medium for
interaction.

I'm wondering if he meant "in the Biblical sense" here...

I was going to answer that, but instead I'm feeling just a little evil - I'm
gonna make you wonder...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 16 May 2011 07:45:32 -0400, "David F. Eisan"
wrote:

https://www.facebook.com/mac.davis3

Hello everyone,

I don't post on here much anymore, so many people have lost newsgroups, a
lot of the old members are not around here anymore.

Are many of you on Facebook? I have been posting my works on there for
friends and family to see.

Here is some of my recent work,

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...l=0a1982 f890

If you are on Facebook and I "know" you, add me.

David Eisan - London, Ontario

Take care,

David.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote

What's texting?

It's what replaced speaking. I learned it from my kids...

Y R U usng al thse ltrs?
cant u rite?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Anyway - Leon... yes - Facebook is still convoluted - or at least it was the
last time I looked at it, which was probably months ago.

--

-Mike-

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Thank you Mike!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in
:

Weird - I left the text above intact just to show that in replying to
Leon's post (Is Facebook still convoluted?), his actual comment does
not appear in the reply, though his attribut does.

Anyway - Leon... yes - Facebook is still convoluted - or at least it
was the last time I looked at it, which was probably months ago.

Your newsreader probably snipped it as part of the previous person's
signature. My newsreader considers everything under "-- " to be a
signature.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/17/2011 6:35 AM, Leon wrote:
Anyway - Leon... yes - Facebook is still convoluted - or at least it was the
last time I looked at it, which was probably months ago.

Leon, your replies are grayed out and they don't quote at all??

-Newsreader: Microsoft Windows Live Mail 15.4.3508.1109

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , says...

Swingman wrote:
On 5/16/2011 5:39 PM, Bill wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:

[...]

Note by the way that the average cave man did not "lose his teeth at
15" or "live to the ripe old age of 21". If he made it to 20 he usually
made it into his 50s or 60s. People equate "average life expectancy"
with "average age at death" and it doesn't work that way. As for teeth,
the incidence of tooth decay in the paleolithic was about 1 percent--
most of those 50 year old cave men died with their teeth intact.

IOW, if the advancements in quality of life and the increase in healthy
life span through technology is breeding "ignorance", I'll take all you
got.

Careful what you wish for. I think if they double the cost of health
care a few more times one may wish they were a horse! ; ) If they put
any more preservatives and (tasty) artificial flavors in my food stuff,
I might not be able to eat at all!

The actual "increase in healthy life span" hasn't been that great. The
big improvements have come at the other end, with major reductions in
childhood and infant mortality. A modern adult is not likely to live
all that much longer than a cave man but a much higher percentage of
infants make it to adulthood.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/17/2011 8:15 AM, J. Clarke wrote:
In , says...

Swingman wrote:
On 5/16/2011 5:39 PM, Bill wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:

[...]

Clarke ... go **** yourself.

You might think you know everything there is to know, Dude ... But
you're woefully inadequate at recognizing a joking reference when you
see one.

Must be nice to have that much time to waste on self-righteous Googling
for naught, Jeeezus!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/16/2011 7:33 PM, Robatoy wrote:
On May 16, 8:19 pm, wrote:
On 5/16/11 6:10 PM, Swingman wrote:

That said, I don't Twitter ... I feel about Twitter like many of you
profess to feel about FaceBook.

Like I say about twitter.... I don't use twitter because that comes with
the rather ostentatious presumption that there is someone out there who
gives a crap about what I have to say. :-)

I heard that, bro'.

I hadn't heard it quite that way before, but that is why I don't
'tweet'?

I don't use Twitter because I haven't been able to figure out how it
could actually benefit what I do.

Broadcasting "I'm now sanding your cabinets/table/what-have-you to
150grit" doesn't seem to have any profit or time saving potential, at
least as far as I've been able to determine. If I saw that it could, I
wouldn't hesitate.

I do see the benefit to those in the media, blogosphere, etc ...
everything else is like Mike says.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

FWIW - and it's just my opinion., so it probably isn't worth too
much... I don't do facebook. Just cannot warm to that medium for
interaction.

I'm wondering if he meant "in the Biblical sense" here...

I was going to answer that, but instead I'm feeling just a little evil - I'm
gonna make you wonder...

Hah, not a prob. I know better.
Anyone who can run up a router in the kitchen while cooking...

--
It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no
distinctively native American criminal class except Congress.
-- Mark Twain
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 17 May 2011 06:53:04 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 5/17/2011 6:35 AM, Leon wrote:
Anyway - Leon... yes - Facebook is still convoluted - or at least it was the
last time I looked at it, which was probably months ago.

Leon, your replies are grayed out and they don't quote at all??

-Newsreader: Microsoft Windows Live Mail 15.4.3508.1109

That's because he's using about twenty at symbols @ for a delineator
above his text. Some day he'll get an answer about how to make Live
email work well with others. MS can FU a wet dream, I swear.

--
It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no
distinctively native American criminal class except Congress.
-- Mark Twain
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
On 5/16/2011 5:39 PM, Bill wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:

[...]

One of the funnier lines in the movie version of The Flintstones (John
Goodman, Rick Moranis, Nicole Kidman, FB O'Donnell, Elizabeth Taylor)
was when Goodman said: "My father lived to the ripe old age of 34."
Clarke would likely take exception to that joke as well.

Come to think of it, that was actually a pretty good movie, B-52 doing
the theme song..yup, was kinda fun.

And THAT reminds of the time I gave the keynote speech at the wedding
of a Navy buddy in Halifax Nova Scotia. As he was one of the members
of HOG, the party was very well populated by bikers (there were 70+
HOGs in the procession). As the night wore on, I slipped a quickly
assembled CD into the player and the opening cut was The Flintstones
by The B-52's. The place went nuts! Lots of fun. Then Flowers On The
Wall by Eric Heatherly (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9f7uhZcbfQ)
really got the place rocking.
One of the bikers, named 'Tiny" (400+lbs) said: "You're a crazy son of
a bitch, you know that!?" and proceeded to damn near break my back in
a bear hug.
Fun times.
Fun times.
I think Tiny liked me. *blush*
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 16, 8:19 pm, *wrote:
[...]

Facebook has done well for our dog groomer... and a house painter I
know. I'm not sure how, but as soon as I find out.......I'll be there.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

David F. Eisan wrote:

Hello everyone,

I don't post on here much anymore, so many people have lost
newsgroups, a lot of the old members are not around here anymore.

Are many of you on Facebook? I have been posting my works on there for
friends and family to see.

Here is some of my recent work,

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...l=0a1982 f890

If you are on Facebook and I "know" you, add me.

FWIW - and it's just my opinion., so it probably isn't worth too much... I
don't do facebook. Just cannot warm to that medium for interaction.

I'm wondering if he meant "in the Biblical sense" here...

--
It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no
distinctively native American criminal class except Congress.
-- Mark Twain

Please delineate your sig line by typing two dashes, then a space, and
then the Enter key to put the sig on the next line. This will gray it
out so I doesn't look like part of the message. It looks like you tried
but forgot the space after the dashes.

"-- " not "--"

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/17/2011 10:04 AM, Robatoy wrote:

Facebook has done well for our dog groomer... and a house painter I
know. I'm not sure how, but as soon as I find out.......I'll be there.

I'm thinking that a circle of friends, satisfied clients and their
friends, etc. can add up to a lot exposure for self employed folks like
dog groomers and house painters.

Just another cog in the business machine ...

Although I've been too busy lately to try doing anything along that
line, I do know Linda has just recently started using FB and Youtube to
get the word out about past and upcoming concerts, and what her kids and
teachers are doing in the studio, etc:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=111829522167705

According to her, it is something the parents love to see and
participate in and jump on as soon as they find out about it ... and
Linda doesn't miss a trick at promoting her endeavors (none of which I
have absolutely anything to do with)

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

On 5/17/2011 6:35 AM, Leon wrote:
Anyway - Leon... yes - Facebook is still convoluted - or at least it was
the
last time I looked at it, which was probably months ago.

Leon, your replies are grayed out and they don't quote at all??

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Unfortunately I don't have a clue why or how to fix it. Using the dumbed
down version of OE. Ill have to look in to another news reader when I get a
chance.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" wrote in message
b.com...

"Mike Marlow" wrote in
:

Weird - I left the text above intact just to show that in replying to
Leon's post (Is Facebook still convoluted?), his actual comment does
not appear in the reply, though his attribut does.

Anyway - Leon... yes - Facebook is still convoluted - or at least it
was the last time I looked at it, which was probably months ago.

Your newsreader probably snipped it as part of the previous person's
signature. My newsreader considers everything under "-- " to be a
signature.

Puckdropper

0000000000000000000000

Sheit, cant win for loosing.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 16 May 2011 21:14:44 -0400, FrozenNorth wrote:

I'm too lazy to lie about making up a fictitious character and the
personal info they want is NONE of their ****ing business.

There is no personal info required, plenty on blanks you can fill in if
you want.

Oh? First thing I see when I go there is a request for my name, email,
and birth date. I can't even see what the site looks like unless I do
that. And yeah, I know I could fake it, but there ought to be a way to
peruse the site to check it out without entering any personal info.

So I guess I'll stay with the Neandertals :-).

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/17/11 12:28 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Mon, 16 May 2011 21:14:44 -0400, FrozenNorth wrote:

I'm too lazy to lie about making up a fictitious character and the
personal info they want is NONE of their ****ing business.

There is no personal info required, plenty on blanks you can fill in if
you want.

Oh? First thing I see when I go there is a request for my name, email,
and birth date. I can't even see what the site looks like unless I do
that. And yeah, I know I could fake it, but there ought to be a way to
peruse the site to check it out without entering any personal info.

So I guess I'll stay with the Neandertals :-).

Your name, and email are being posted here, what is the difference.
The birthday is a legal requirement for letting young kids get on line,
just so that FB can say they have done their due diligence.

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message
"Puckdropper" wrote in message
b.com...

"Mike Marlow" wrote in
:

Weird - I left the text above intact just to show that in replying to
Leon's post (Is Facebook still convoluted?), his actual comment does
not appear in the reply, though his attribut does.

Anyway - Leon... yes - Facebook is still convoluted - or at least it
was the last time I looked at it, which was probably months ago.

Your newsreader probably snipped it as part of the previous person's
signature. My newsreader considers everything under "-- " to be a
signature.

Puckdropper

0000000000000000000000

Sheit, cant win for loosing.

Lets try this and see if it works.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/17/11 12:23 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 5/16/11 5:57 PM, Swingman wrote:

"Privacy" issues in this realm are largely imaginary, amplified by
the hearsay of those with a basic misunderstanding of the issues and
resulting in playing on each others irrational fears.

However, I do agree with you ... some folks should never be allowed
near a computer in the first place.

"Like"

I never understood the whole "privacy" issue.
These are same people who would complain that someone saw them naked
because they walked out to the mailbox in the nude. :-)

"if" they walked out...? I don't understand...

"Like" :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/17/11 9:02 AM, Swingman wrote:
Broadcasting "I'm now sanding your cabinets/table/what-have-you to
150grit"

LMAO!

I do see the benefit to those in the media, blogosphere, etc ...
everything else is like Mike says.

I'm pretty active on FB because in my line of bidnis, everyone seems to
be on there blabbin away. It's a decent way to network and stay on the
radar.

I would love if this newsgroup went to a FB group. It's great to see
those pics you post of woodworking and be able to interact on the same
page, etc.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

On 5/17/2011 6:35 AM, Leon wrote:
Anyway - Leon... yes - Facebook is still convoluted - or at least it was
the
last time I looked at it, which was probably months ago.

Leon, your replies are grayed out and they don't quote at all??

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Unfortunately I don't have a clue why or how to fix it. Using the dumbed
down version of OE. Ill have to look in to another news reader when I get
a chance.

L:

Here are two descriptions/reviews of the free QuoteFix program
for OE which I originally posted a link page on. If you try it and
it fails your problem, it can be uninstalled.

http://email.about.com/cs/oepluginre...e-quotefix.htm

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
On 5/17/11 9:02 AM, Swingman wrote:
Broadcasting "I'm now sanding your cabinets/table/what-have-you to
150grit"

LMAO!

I do see the benefit to those in the media, blogosphere, etc ...
everything else is like Mike says.

I'm pretty active on FB because in my line of bidnis, everyone seems to
be on there blabbin away. It's a decent way to network and stay on the
radar.

I would love if this newsgroup went to a FB group. It's great to see
those pics you post of woodworking and be able to interact on the same
page, etc.

Yeah Buddy! ... Of the three hundred FB "friends" at least +/- 250 are
musicians I know from 40 years of playing and recording. Great way to keep
up with gigging and whose playing where.

--
www.ewoodshop.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 16, 6:10 pm, Swingman wrote:
On 5/16/2011 5:19 PM, Bill wrote:

That simply means that you statistically don't have a child between 12
and 30. These puppies don't snail mail, email, fax or answer phone calls
... but they TEXT at the drop of a hat.

Amen. My niece is in the far flung lands of the Northeast Provinces
in school, and she rarely even checks her email. Forget voice mail.
Ain't happenin'. No text, no communication with that young lady.

Too passé. It is "like really old school". They identify email and
voicemail as an ancient artifact left by ancestors unknown to them.
(She is 22, by the way)

I won't text now, and have it turned off on my phone. I don't like
the interruptions during my day, and I have found that I cannot
respond in a timely manner. I won't listen to any whiney crap about
how "I texted you an hour ago, *sniff* *sniff* and you never
responded".

What I am really worried about besides the constant and incessant
interruptions, is the fact that it could become part of my business.
I have a life sized picture of a $5000 load of roofing material ($125
delivery fee, 15% restock once the truck leaves the yard) and my
roofing sub (guaranteed 1/2 day by me win/lose/draw) with 4 - 5 guys
in the truck en route to the job and suddenly getting a text saying
they needed to put off the install because their son scraped his knee
and they were at the doctor late in the previous evening.

Or I am at Sherwin Williams having my paint order filled of custom
colors and I get a text saying "Scratch paint colors; SO has new
ideas! HMU ltr." Of course I would miss that text, and not only
waste my time getting the paint, buying non refundable colors, but not
get paid for either one.

I don't want a weasel text sent to me at 4:00am by one of my subs
telling me he won't be on the job for some reason, real or imagined.

I have found that when my clients and associates are properly handled
in an immediate, voice driven manner, things go smoothly for me. If I
had only one job at a time, texting might work. But I either have 5
or none, or 2 and I am negotiating as many as possible at the same
time.

I have found the new pidgin enormously unhelpful with my style of
communication and won't tolerate that silliness from my clients or
colleagues.

My voice message: Mr. Smith, this is Robert. I have your door color
samples on your front porch as we speak, and would like a call back
from you letting me know what you and your wife decide. Please call
me back on my cell phone at XXX-XXXX. Thanks -

Return text: Tks 4 smple. Jst fin l8 lnch, hm l8r. HUB here thn.
Tks -

Me: WTF was that?

I expect the same level of professional treatment ( I know, what an
arrogant ass) from my clients that I give them. I don't write
contracts or communications with my clients in all the nonsense, and
won't take it from them when we are negotiating or under contract.

And professional reciprocation doesn't include getting texts at all
hours of the day and night because it was completely convenient for
them at the moment they thought about it. In these difficult economic
times I answer the phone no matter when I am called by current
clients, or someone that simply can't get to a phne during the day.
But for the rest of the world, I have to keep it to 8-6pm. I don't
like getting phone calls from bored husbands on Saturday wondering if
I can come out on Sunday to look at their project. Texting would make
that waaaay to easy.

Here's the no-texting bonus for me. NEVER have I had a guy tell me
they preferred to text me. In fact, when I give my clients my cell
number, they tell me they *prefer* talking to me personally, live in
person. Occasionally there is an irritated soccer Mom or other
important female that doesn't have the time for a voice chat (but
endless time to text all day), but even then, most folks seem to
prefer voice.

I know one day I will have to join the relentless marauding horde, but
not one day sooner than I need to for me.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message
eb.com...

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message
"Puckdropper" wrote in message
b.com...

"Mike Marlow" wrote in
:

Weird - I left the text above intact just to show that in replying to
Leon's post (Is Facebook still convoluted?), his actual comment does
not appear in the reply, though his attribut does.

Anyway - Leon... yes - Facebook is still convoluted - or at least it
was the last time I looked at it, which was probably months ago.

Your newsreader probably snipped it as part of the previous person's
signature. My newsreader considers everything under "-- " to be a
signature.

Puckdropper

0000000000000000000000

Sheit, cant win for loosing.

Lets try this and see if it works.

0000000

Does it work?

Posted to rec.woodworking

I can't remember the exact phrase that Keith Bohn used to
use several years ago, but something about "self destruct button"
or a biblical reference to "smote with a vengance"

He always had some really sharp one liners.....

On 5/16/2011 6:49 PM, Luigi Zanasi wrote:

We need a "like" button on the wreck. :-)

Luigi

Facebook FFS Jim K[_3_] UK diy 0 March 3rd 11 02:36 PM
[C&UOT] facebook friends John Stumbles UK diy 33 July 27th 10 01:24 PM
Infected you tube link via facebook message cynic UK diy 9 March 5th 10 08:51 AM