Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Who is on Facebook?

On May 16, 6:10 pm, Swingman wrote:
On 5/16/2011 5:19 PM, Bill wrote:

That simply means that you statistically don't have a child between 12
and 30. These puppies don't snail mail, email, fax or answer phone calls
... but they TEXT at the drop of a hat.

Amen. My niece is in the far flung lands of the Northeast Provinces
in school, and she rarely even checks her email. Forget voice mail.
Ain't happenin'. No text, no communication with that young lady.

Too passé. It is "like really old school". They identify email and
voicemail as an ancient artifact left by ancestors unknown to them.
(She is 22, by the way)

I won't text now, and have it turned off on my phone. I don't like
the interruptions during my day, and I have found that I cannot
respond in a timely manner. I won't listen to any whiney crap about
how "I texted you an hour ago, *sniff* *sniff* and you never
responded".

What I am really worried about besides the constant and incessant
interruptions, is the fact that it could become part of my business.
I have a life sized picture of a $5000 load of roofing material ($125
delivery fee, 15% restock once the truck leaves the yard) and my
roofing sub (guaranteed 1/2 day by me win/lose/draw) with 4 - 5 guys
in the truck en route to the job and suddenly getting a text saying
they needed to put off the install because their son scraped his knee
and they were at the doctor late in the previous evening.

Or I am at Sherwin Williams having my paint order filled of custom
colors and I get a text saying "Scratch paint colors; SO has new
ideas! HMU ltr." Of course I would miss that text, and not only
waste my time getting the paint, buying non refundable colors, but not
get paid for either one.

I don't want a weasel text sent to me at 4:00am by one of my subs
telling me he won't be on the job for some reason, real or imagined.

I have found that when my clients and associates are properly handled
in an immediate, voice driven manner, things go smoothly for me. If I
had only one job at a time, texting might work. But I either have 5
or none, or 2 and I am negotiating as many as possible at the same
time.

I have found the new pidgin enormously unhelpful with my style of
communication and won't tolerate that silliness from my clients or
colleagues.

My voice message: Mr. Smith, this is Robert. I have your door color
samples on your front porch as we speak, and would like a call back
from you letting me know what you and your wife decide. Please call
me back on my cell phone at XXX-XXXX. Thanks -

Return text: Tks 4 smple. Jst fin l8 lnch, hm l8r. HUB here thn.
Tks -

Me: WTF was that?

I expect the same level of professional treatment ( I know, what an
arrogant ass) from my clients that I give them. I don't write
contracts or communications with my clients in all the nonsense, and
won't take it from them when we are negotiating or under contract.

And professional reciprocation doesn't include getting texts at all
hours of the day and night because it was completely convenient for
them at the moment they thought about it. In these difficult economic
times I answer the phone no matter when I am called by current
clients, or someone that simply can't get to a phne during the day.
But for the rest of the world, I have to keep it to 8-6pm. I don't
like getting phone calls from bored husbands on Saturday wondering if
I can come out on Sunday to look at their project. Texting would make
that waaaay to easy.

Here's the no-texting bonus for me. NEVER have I had a guy tell me
they preferred to text me. In fact, when I give my clients my cell
number, they tell me they *prefer* talking to me personally, live in
person. Occasionally there is an irritated soccer Mom or other
important female that doesn't have the time for a voice chat (but
endless time to text all day), but even then, most folks seem to
prefer voice.

I know one day I will have to join the relentless marauding horde, but
not one day sooner than I need to for me.

Robert