D. A. Clark

Default What is Living Trade?

No two men have the same set of tools or the same set of experiences;
therefore, no two men may have the same knowledge or understanding of
working wood. It is living trade.
D. A. Clark

The living trades are the inherent occupations of man, derived in the
genesis of time; whereby, a man may do well for himself by applying
common sense and manual dexterity to the materials found at hand.
Rob Stokes

Well that was certainly a trip down memory lane

Thanks Larry!

Rob

--

http://www.robswoodworking.com

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On 2 May 2004 11:11:01 -0700, (D. A. Clark)
brought forth from the murky depths:

The living trades are the inherent occupations of man, derived in the
genesis of time; whereby, a man may do well for himself by applying
common sense and manual dexterity to the materials found at hand.

Or they can google the entire thread from several Decembers ago.
http://tinyurl.com/37k8f

Howdy again, Clark.

-----
= The wealth of reality, cannot be seen from your locality. =
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development

Larry Jaques

On Sun, 02 May 2004 23:40:52 GMT, "Rob Stokes"
brought forth from the murky depths:

Well that was certainly a trip down memory lane

Thanks Larry!

De nada. Fun thread, huh?

-----
= The wealth of reality, cannot be seen from your locality. =
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development

Larry Jaques

On Mon, 03 May 2004 04:47:45 GMT, "Rob Stokes"
brought forth from the murky depths:

'twas. I'm not sure I have the energy for another one though...

although......... g!

Uh, oh...

--This post conscientiously crafted from 100% Recycled Pixels--
http://diversify.com Websites: PHP Programming, MySQL databases

D. A. Clark

Consider this, if one would investigate all the major technological
advances made by man throughout history, you would find an individual
who has returned to the basic materials at hand. For example, the
computer chip from a handful of silica sand. This is living trade.
Doug Winterburn

On Mon, 03 May 2004 16:47:26 -0700, D. A. Clark wrote:

Consider this, if one would investigate all the major technological
advances made by man throughout history, you would find an individual who
has returned to the basic materials at hand. For example, the computer
chip from a handful of silica sand. This is living trade.

Well, the vacation was nice. I guess I'll just have to brace myself...

-Doug

--
"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always
depend on the support of Paul." - George Bernard Shaw

D. A. Clark

All there is to know about the living trades is yet to be known; no
man is master, we are apprentices all of our lives. In pursuit of
living trade, such knowledge and understanding, apprenticeship is the
journeyman's path.
D. A. Clark

Regardless of advancing technologies, the first principles of working
wood...to cut, to shape, to fasten...have remained the same throughout
the millenniums. This is living trade.
Conan The Librarian

Larry Jaques wrote in message . ..

On Mon, 03 May 2004 04:47:45 GMT, "Rob Stokes"
brought forth from the murky depths:

'twas. I'm not sure I have the energy for another one though...

although......... g!

Uh, oh...

In the words of the noted American philosopher: It's like deja-vu
all over again.

Chuck Vance
Just say (tmPL): While we're having these annoying flashbacks,
anyone remember "The Man in the Doorway"?
Patrick Olguin

(D. A. Clark) wrote in message . com...
There are a many ways to work wood. I have cut, shaped and fastened
more projects in my head than I will ever be able to physically
accomplish. Mental exercises can make you a better woodworker; and,
words can be as solid as oak.

Ah yes, visualization. Visualization is hardly new ground. See the
wood, be the wood - been there done that. As for solid as oak,
perhaps you're unfamiliar with the umpteen varieties of canyon oak,
scrub oak, you-name-it oak that grow in the chaparral of the left
coast, but most them are splintery and brittle, and won't really hold
up to any meaningful scrutiny. Their best application is as firewood.

I think positive self-talk while doing the work is a mental
preparation is what helps me the most. I learned this as a baseball
player, going beyond the commonly-known visual technique of picturing
the perfect pitch, its velocity, spin and trajectory, then
visualization my perfect swing, solid contact, follow-through and pose
as the ball rockets through the air and clangs off the facade of the
third deck. This visualization breaks down if the batter is standing
in the box telling himself, "Don't swing at a bad pitch. Don't bail
out. Don't open up too fast, etc." He will invariably chase one in
the dirt, while bailing out and opening up his hips too fast. The same
applies to the dorking of the wood with, "Don't slip. Don't cut it
crooked, Don't don't don't don't."

And so therefore I ackowledge what it is I can do (say, put a perfect
edge on a chisel, and apply that edge to the work), accept what it is
I cannot control (an unseen pitch pocket, the neighbor's marijuana
party next door giving me a decent contact high, the amount of light
left in the day, the negligible amount of cartilage left in my hip
joints) and then let the outcome be what it is.

This isn't to stay I stay within my comfort zone, but I don't set
myself up for abject disappointment. When I am attempting to extend
my abilities, I do it on scrap - partially to save money or conserve
expensive hardwood, but more in keeping with the assertive, esteeming
message. This reduces stress (the inner conflict that occurs when the
body must resist the urge to choke the living **** out of some asshole
who desperately deserves it) in terms of the nearly always fatal,
"don't **** this up, it's $6.99 a bdft," while keeping me firmly
rooted in reality (the opposite of denial), which I would depart from
if I were to completely discard the notion that using up expensive
hardwood for the sole purpose of skill-building is a prudent use of
limited natural and monetary resources.

The process of evolving my woodworking process, if you will.

Not sure what your interest in panty lace is, but I'm doubly sure I
won't be participating in an in-depth exploration of the subject on
this ng. Not to say that panties themselves aren't worth exploring,
provided they're being worn by someone with which you have a more than
passing relationship, and they've extended a specific invitation for
the exploration. Speaking of extended, if you'd like to take a gander
at some long, stiff, thick, nice-looking wood, point your browser
he

http://www.klownhammer.org/yetmoreprogress

Yours in zen and the art of woodworking.

O'Deen

D. A. Clark

Patrick Olguin wrote in message:
Ah yes, visualization. Visualization is hardly new ground.
And so therefore I ackowledge what it is I can do (say, put a perfect
edge on a chisel, and apply that edge to the work) and then let the outcome be what it is.
This isn't to say I stay within my comfort zone, but I don't set
myself up for abject disappointment. When I am attempting to extend
my abilities...snip...but more in keeping with the assertive, esteeming
message.
The process of evolving my woodworking process, if you will.
Yours in zen and the art of woodworking.
O'Deen

Hello Patrick,
Sorry for chopping your message up, but I read good experience and
thought. Consider this:
The doctrine of Zen...(whereby, enlightenment may be acheived by
meditation and intuition, stimulated by the contemplation of beauty
and simplicity)...wouldn't cut much wood; perhaps, to work wood is to
take responsibility to reflect upon each accomplishment, each failure;
that the yin and the yang might balance. Each chronicle of experience
is the basis of your knowledge and understanding; that beyond a man's
common sense and manual dexterity there is reason. And, perhaps, only
time in apprenticeship will bring enlightenment.
Could this be living trade?
dac
D. A. Clark

(Conan The Librarian) wrote in message
On the contrary, DA. I also do a bit of woodworking. And all the
wood is dimensioned, carved and joined with handtools:
Just say (tmPL) Back to you.

Well, Charlie, someday, you might be ready for a real project.
dac
B a r r y

On 8 May 2004 17:23:48 -0700, (Conan The Librarian)
wrote:

On the contrary, DA. I also do a bit of woodworking. And all the
wood is dimensioned, carved and joined with handtools:

Nice work, Chuck!

Barry

Larry Jaques

On 8 May 2004 17:23:48 -0700, (Conan The Librarian)
brought forth from the murky depths:

(D. A. Clark) wrote in message . com...

(Conan The Librarian) wrote in message

Verbal flatulance isn't really my area of expertise.

On the contrary, Charlie. It would seem your only expertise.

On the contrary, DA. I also do a bit of woodworking. And all the
wood is dimensioned, carved and joined with handtools:

http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/chicabinet.jpg

Whassa chick abinet, Chuckrateez? (Purty!)
Elm (or poplar? or izzat some more of your dizzy
pineywood) and walnut? Nice contrast without too
much distraction.

--
Save the Endangered ROAD NARROWS! -|- www.diversify.com
Ban SUVs today! -|- Full Service Websites

Phil Hansen

In article , cv01
@txstate.edu says...
On the contrary, DA. I also do a bit of woodworking. And all the
wood is dimensioned, carved and joined with handtools:

Nice work. Like the Flytying station. Is it your own design or did you
use plans? If you used plans, where are they available?
Thanks
--

Phillip Hansen
Skil-Phil Solutions

Conan The Librarian

Larry Jaques wrote in message . ..
On 8 May 2004 17:23:48 -0700, (Conan The Librarian)
brought forth from the murky depths:

http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/chicabinet.jpg

Whassa chick abinet, Chuckrateez? (Purty!)

Thanks, lar. It's a chisel cabinet. I store mostly carving tools
there, but also have mortising chisels and a few other odds-and-ends.

Elm (or poplar? or izzat some more of your dizzy
pineywood) and walnut? Nice contrast without too
much distraction.

I can't believe it; you actually said you like the contrast of the
woods I used on a project. ;-) The frame is black willow. I had
built a box for my C&W smoother using willow and walnut and they
looked so nice together that I figured I'd try it on a larger scale.
The willow carries just enough of a rich brown to pick up the walnut's
color, IMHO.

Also, I went to quite a bit of trouble to get the willow's grain
to match across the pieces and get a nice contour from the grain
pattern following the lines of the frame.

It's nice to hear that someone else appreciates the choice of
woods.

Chuck Vance (happy to be talking about woodworking again)
Conan The Librarian

Phil Hansen wrote in message ...

Nice work. Like the Flytying station. Is it your own design or did you
use plans? If you used plans, where are they available?

Thanks for the kind words, Phil. The design is of my own making,
but I took elements from several tying stations I found on the web. I
did a Google Images search on "fly tying station", "fly tying bench"
and found enough ideas there to give me a good start.

In particular, a place called Coldstream
(http://www.coldstreamfurniture.com/bench.html) was my inspiration for
the choice of figured woods, and the basic form. I just modified
things to suit my own particular needs.

Chuck Vance

Greg Millen

"Conan The Librarian" wrote in message ...
Thanks, lar. It's a chisel cabinet. I store mostly carving tools
there, but also have mortising chisels and a few other odds-and-ends.

I had a sneak around your site but couldn't see inside the box- you did
build an inside for it didn't you?

I can't believe it; you actually said you like the contrast of the
woods I used on a project. ;-) The frame is black willow. I had
built a box for my C&W smoother using willow and walnut and they
looked so nice together that I figured I'd try it on a larger scale.
The willow carries just enough of a rich brown to pick up the walnut's
color, IMHO.

I have to agree with Larry, tres' nice. The fly tying station is beautiful
wood though, I don't fish but it makes me want to use it.

It's nice to hear that someone else appreciates the choice of
woods.

More'n one Chuck, more'n one.

I tried to build a small sewing cabinet spool holder on the weekend and
stuffed it up totally. It turned out to be firewood, my worst effort yet.
Measure twice they say, well, I did that - but why don't they say "get the
right spool" instead?

Better days are just ahead...

Greg

Larry Jaques

On 10 May 2004 04:54:19 -0700, (Conan The Librarian)
brought forth from the murky depths:

I can't believe it; you actually said you like the contrast of the
woods I used on a project. ;-) The frame is black willow. I had

So I'm picky. While I love a certain shepherd's work and aspire
to his level of expertise, I hold a -vastly- different concept of
contrast than he.

built a box for my C&W smoother using willow and walnut and they
looked so nice together that I figured I'd try it on a larger scale.
The willow carries just enough of a rich brown to pick up the walnut's
color, IMHO.

I don't recall actually liking that one. (Feel better now?)

Also, I went to quite a bit of trouble to get the willow's grain
to match across the pieces and get a nice contour from the grain
pattern following the lines of the frame.

Why dincha just steam bend it and make an oval chest? The compass
plane woulda fit just fine, and it would have been a reason to
go buy a cooper's rabbet plane (if you don't already have one),
which also would have fit right in.

It's nice to hear that someone else appreciates the choice of
woods.

pat pat pat

Chuck Vance (happy to be talking about woodworking again)

Yeah. I had to plonk Tawm once again since I don't want to listen
to any of the bay area crap he continues to argue with and quote.
It's to the point that anyone quoting bay spew is now plonked. I
wonder how many others at that level of disgust. sigh

Well, I've caught up on spring chores around here, got the garden
in and most of the drip irrigation in, so now I can get back to
the shop. First up is the pivoting sheet-goods storage rack. I need
to get them off the wood rack where they now lean. Then I'll get
back on that mantle scraping.

--
Save the Endangered ROAD NARROWS! -|-
www.diversify.com
Ban SUVs today! -|- Full Service Websites

Greg Millen

"Conan the Librarian" wrote in message ...
So can you at least rationalize it as "practice"? :-}

done!

Conan the Librarian

Greg Millen wrote:

"Conan The Librarian" wrote in message ...

Thanks, lar. It's a chisel cabinet. I store mostly carving tools
there, but also have mortising chisels and a few other odds-and-ends.

I had a sneak around your site but couldn't see inside the box- you did
build an inside for it didn't you?

Damn, I got so busy with the outside that I totally forgot about
that. :-)

It's got two rows of chisel holders, which are nothing more than
some 4/4 oak with a series of vertical holes drilled and slots cut in
the front edge.

I have to agree with Larry, tres' nice. The fly tying station is beautiful
wood though, I don't fish but it makes me want to use it.

Hey, you don't have to fish to tie flies. :-) As an aside, SWMBO
saw the wood that I was using for the station and commented something to
the effect of, "Why are you using all that fancy stuff for nothing more
than a tool?".

Oh well, she still doesn't quite get it. :-) (But you obviously do.)

It's nice to hear that someone else appreciates the choice of
woods.

More'n one Chuck, more'n one.

Thanks, Groggy.

I tried to build a small sewing cabinet spool holder on the weekend and
stuffed it up totally. It turned out to be firewood, my worst effort yet.
Measure twice they say, well, I did that - but why don't they say "get the
right spool" instead?

Oooops, that hurts. I dunno how sewing thread goes, but thankfully,
the flytying thread spools are pretty uniform.

So can you at least rationalize it as "practice"? :-}

Chuck Vance
Conan the Librarian

Larry Jaques wrote:

On 10 May 2004 04:54:19 -0700, (Conan The Librarian)
brought forth from the murky depths:

I can't believe it; you actually said you like the contrast of the
woods I used on a project. ;-) The frame is black willow. I had

So I'm picky. While I love a certain shepherd's work and aspire
to his level of expertise, I hold a -vastly- different concept of
contrast than he.

A "certain shepherd"? That went right over my head.

built a box for my C&W smoother using willow and walnut and they
looked so nice together that I figured I'd try it on a larger scale.
The willow carries just enough of a rich brown to pick up the walnut's
color, IMHO.

I don't recall actually liking that one. (Feel better now?)

That's more like it, Lar. :-)

It wasn't much, just a dovetailed box with a sliding top:
http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/cwbox1.jpg and
http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/cwbox2.jpg

But it made me realize what an affinity willow and walnut have for
each other.

Also, I went to quite a bit of trouble to get the willow's grain
to match across the pieces and get a nice contour from the grain
pattern following the lines of the frame.

Why dincha just steam bend it and make an oval chest? The compass
plane woulda fit just fine, and it would have been a reason to
go buy a cooper's rabbet plane (if you don't already have one),
which also would have fit right in.

Maybe one of these days I'll do just that. :-) First I need to
practice on bending something easy like ply.

Chuck Vance (happy to be talking about woodworking again)

Yeah. I had to plonk Tawm once again since I don't want to listen
to any of the bay area crap he continues to argue with and quote.
It's to the point that anyone quoting bay spew is now plonked. I
wonder how many others at that level of disgust. sigh

Actually, I was referring more to our friend D.A., but I know what
you mean. I've gotten to the point where I just ignore the BAD stuff.
It's like target practice; it helps keep your eye sharp, but gets old
really fast.

Well, I've caught up on spring chores around here, got the garden
in and most of the drip irrigation in, so now I can get back to
the shop. First up is the pivoting sheet-goods storage rack. I need
to get them off the wood rack where they now lean. Then I'll get
back on that mantle scraping.

Sounds like ... work. So did you wind up using your bamboo fishing
pole for garden stakes? ;-)

Chuck Vance

Larry Jaques

On Tue, 11 May 2004 07:25:09 -0500, Conan the Librarian
brought forth from the murky depths:

A "certain shepherd"? That went right over my head.

Think SHEEPY, sir.

It wasn't much, just a dovetailed box with a sliding top:
http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/cwbox1.jpg and
http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/cwbox2.jpg

Part of why I didn't like that one was the dizzy background.
The grain in that pineywood makes me purely dizzy.

But it made me realize what an affinity willow and walnut have for
each other.

I think I like the end better than the side. Less contrast within
the wood itself, more with the top.

Maybe one of these days I'll do just that. :-) First I need to
practice on bending something easy like ply.

Dealing with melted glue + delamination is "easy"?

Sounds like ... work. So did you wind up using your bamboo fishing
pole for garden stakes? ;-)

No, and as a matter of fact, I took a day off last week and went up
the Rogue to Lost Creek Dam. Check your email box for pics of crazy
fishermen standing in the rapids, Butte Falls, and an earthen dam.
I just may get a fishing license this year and give 'er a go.

--
Save the Endangered ROAD NARROWS! -|- www.diversify.com
Ban SUVs today! -|- Full Service Websites

Phil Hansen

In article , cv01
@txstate.edu says...

SNIP
Thanks for the info. I live in a fly fishing area but do not fish
myself. The tables could be an additional outlet for me. Will look at
the sites and get some inspiration g
--

Phillip Hansen
Skil-Phil Solutions

D. A. Clark

Conan the Librarian wrote
It's got two rows of chisel holders, which are nothing more than
some 4/4 oak with a series of vertical holes drilled and slots cut in
the front edge.
Chuck Vance

Wow, that's way beyond the synthesis of my ganglion
perceptibilities...what website did you find that idea on, Chuckie?
By the way, why did ya use all that fancy wood stuff on that
fool...er, stool cabinet?
Conan The Librarian

Larry Jaques wrote in message . ..

On Tue, 11 May 2004 07:25:09 -0500, Conan the Librarian
brought forth from the murky depths:

A "certain shepherd"? That went right over my head.

Think SHEEPY, sir.

As in "black sheep"?

It wasn't much, just a dovetailed box with a sliding top:
http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/cwbox1.jpg and
http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/cwbox2.jpg

Part of why I didn't like that one was the dizzy background.
The grain in that pineywood makes me purely dizzy.

You really should see a doctor about that vertigo of yours, Lar.

Maybe one of these days I'll do just that. :-) First I need to
practice on bending something easy like ply.

Dealing with melted glue + delamination is "easy"?

I was thinking about getting some of that ply that's specifically
made for bending. One of my long-term projects is to make an Aztec
calendar out of wood, and I'm trying to figure how to make a circular
frame. I'm thinking that ply might be the only way I can accomplish
that.

Sounds like ... work. So did you wind up using your bamboo fishing
pole for garden stakes? ;-)

No, and as a matter of fact, I took a day off last week and went up
the Rogue to Lost Creek Dam. Check your email box for pics of crazy
fishermen standing in the rapids, Butte Falls, and an earthen dam.
I just may get a fishing license this year and give 'er a go.

Oustanding pics, thanks. A couple of observations: That
fisherperson isn't just crazy, he's totally insane. Then again, when
we were in Moontana last year I saw some guys wading faster water than
that. So that madrone was 9' in circumference?! Haysoos cristo,
you'd need a big chainsaw for that guy. ;-) You mentioned a
hatchery; I would have expected that to be a mostly wild fishery
there. Do they just grow rainbows or brown trout to supplement the
natives?

So I'm starting to see why you moved up into the rainforest. If
you can keep the moss from growing on you I guess it's a nice place to
live.

Chuck Vance