Conan the Librarian

Default What is Living Trade?

Larry Jaques wrote:

On 10 May 2004 04:54:19 -0700, (Conan The Librarian)
brought forth from the murky depths:

I can't believe it; you actually said you like the contrast of the
woods I used on a project. ;-) The frame is black willow. I had

So I'm picky. While I love a certain shepherd's work and aspire
to his level of expertise, I hold a -vastly- different concept of
contrast than he.

A "certain shepherd"? That went right over my head.

built a box for my C&W smoother using willow and walnut and they
looked so nice together that I figured I'd try it on a larger scale.
The willow carries just enough of a rich brown to pick up the walnut's
color, IMHO.

I don't recall actually liking that one. (Feel better now?)

That's more like it, Lar. :-)

It wasn't much, just a dovetailed box with a sliding top:
http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/cwbox1.jpg and
http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/cwbox2.jpg

But it made me realize what an affinity willow and walnut have for
each other.

Also, I went to quite a bit of trouble to get the willow's grain
to match across the pieces and get a nice contour from the grain
pattern following the lines of the frame.

Why dincha just steam bend it and make an oval chest? The compass
plane woulda fit just fine, and it would have been a reason to
go buy a cooper's rabbet plane (if you don't already have one),
which also would have fit right in.

Maybe one of these days I'll do just that. :-) First I need to
practice on bending something easy like ply.

Chuck Vance (happy to be talking about woodworking again)

Yeah. I had to plonk Tawm once again since I don't want to listen
to any of the bay area crap he continues to argue with and quote.
It's to the point that anyone quoting bay spew is now plonked. I
wonder how many others at that level of disgust. sigh

Actually, I was referring more to our friend D.A., but I know what
you mean. I've gotten to the point where I just ignore the BAD stuff.
It's like target practice; it helps keep your eye sharp, but gets old
really fast.

Well, I've caught up on spring chores around here, got the garden
in and most of the drip irrigation in, so now I can get back to
the shop. First up is the pivoting sheet-goods storage rack. I need
to get them off the wood rack where they now lean. Then I'll get
back on that mantle scraping.

Sounds like ... work. So did you wind up using your bamboo fishing
pole for garden stakes? ;-)

Chuck Vance