Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Building my first woodworking space, need help

Hello:

I've always been interested in woodworking since 7th grade when I took
shop, but I've never had the time, money or space to get into the
hobby. But now that I'm in my mid 30's, own a house and some land, and
have some disposable income that She lets me spend I am finally going
to get started.

I live in the burbs, on a 110 X 60 plot, in a house with no garage or
basement. The old shed I had was tiny, barely enough to get the lawn
mower inside, but this weekend I am getting a brand new 12 X 12 shed
from Shedsusa.com. I opted for the Gambrel roof for extra storage, and
the heavy duty flooring. Style is classic, with the 40 inch doors in
the front.

So, my question to you wise people is this: How much work can I get in
this shed? Will I have enough room to do any work?

Also, should I wire the inside with electrical cable? I was imagining
putting in a light switch and some outlets around the shed, an dmaybe
putting in an outlet into the work bench I am going to build. I can't
legally run a circuit to the shed, so the best i would be able to do
is drag a 12/3 extension cord to the shed and plug it into a jack to
power the shed.

Has anyone else done something like this before that has any
experiences they want to share?

Thanks,
Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking

Has anyone else done something like this before that has any
experiences they want to share?

Thanks,
Dave

I have setup in all sorts of shop environments and some very similar.
Sounds exciting and like lots of fun.

- Some good extension cords might be just as easy, cheaper and more
flexible rather than wiring in. Can't really see the advantage for the
cost other than the overhead light.

- Material storage will be your biggest issue. Consider something
under the eaves on one side or other additional storage.

- You should have some good method to quickly setup outside on good
days. Trying to manage a 4x8 sheet of ply in a 12 by 12 space would be
fun to watch but not fun to do. Not so hard to break it down outside
on some saw horses with a skill saw. Maybe even consider a permanent
awning addition or 10x10 popup, some good saw horses and table tops.

- Dust collector and compressor outside in a little outhouse type shed
built off one side.

- Consider some unique counter\work surface type setups. Things like a
planer, counter top drill press, mortiser, etc can have temp location
on counter, then be relocated or flipped under to leave working
counter space.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/15/2010 1:54 PM, Dave wrote:
[...]

The one thing you did not mention is air conditioning/heating. This
will determine a lot. If you live in a climate where 5.5 months you will
need air conditioning and 5.5 month you will need heating, that would
require that most anything you do would have to be done in the closed
building If you will need air and/or heating I would insulate the walls
and roof to make all areas of the building comfortable.

If you are in an area where you can work outside, I would have large
(double garage door) opening to a patio so you could roll your saw,
workbench, or whatever out into the area. The large door would make
access to this open area easily and part of the workspace. Instead of a
roll up door you may consider a one piece door the could be raised part
way to form an awning. Don't forget power outlets that are convenient to
the patio.

When you said you were going to have the building wired, I assume that
means the building will be hard wire to at least the house 110 system.
With 12 foot walls I would have at least two outlets per wall, with
amperage sufficient to run all of the power equipment you may want.
These outlets maybe multi outlet boxes rather than the standard two plug
units, power strips would be another possibility. I would also have
good lighting in the upper part of the building. If you don't you will
wish you had. You can never have to many outlets, and once the base
wiring is in you can expand the outlets yourself if you have the
amperage in the original outlet. You may also want a breaker box in for
the building.

I would also have outside doors to the upper level so you can put long
pieces of material into the area. Sort of like the doors in a barn to
access the hayloft. If you want to get fancy you could go completely
with the barn concept and have a means to attach a pulley in the very
top of the overhang. I would have pull down stairs into that area for
all weather easy access. With the outside doors you could put bicycles
up there in the off season, and maybe your lawn mower or other small
lawn equipment.

I may have one fixed workbench, but would consider a couple on
workbenches on wheels that could do double duty as extensions on your
table saw. Having them on wheels will give you maximum flexibility in
using your space. Mine has been mobile for some years and I don't know
if I could go back to a fixed work bench. For some projects the bench
ends up "L" shaped with the saw so the pieces I am working of are at my
right hand, other times in a similar configuration to the left. I have
all of my small power tools mounted to 2X10's so I can store the unit
and can firmly clamp it to the table saw or work bench when I am using
it. All that is except a small drill press which is use quite frequently.

I would have cabinets built into the movable work benches for the
frequently used small tools, and extensive cabinets up stairs for the
less frequently used tools, parts, and other "junk" you will inevitably
collect.

We are thinking of moving and I don't have any idea what the new house
may have in the way of garages or outbuilding so I have been working on
things I would like if I had to build a new small workshop,

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 10:54:08 -0700 (PDT), Dave
wrote:

Hello:
this weekend I am getting a brand new 12 X 12 shed

Has anyone else done something like this before that has any
experiences they want to share?

I've been working in a 12' X 18' garage for 20+ years. I've learned:

1. PLAN! Layout bench, stationary tools, etc., but first, plan ahead
on storage for handtools, fasteners, finishes and finishing tools,
&tc. first. Also, plan elictrical outlets and lighting.

2. Set up table saw facing the door so you can rip longer boards than
otherwise.

3. I'm constantly moving had tools and workpieces from the table saw
to the bench and back. Plan ahead on storage, and make storage units
your first projects.

4. A good work bench is a priority and will make the hobby more fun.
Build storage into it. And attach a good power strip.

5. Dust collection is good.

6. You can't build a 19'+ wherry in a shop 18' long.

7. Don't drop a quart of shellac on the floor.

Best wishes,
-Zz
Posted to rec.woodworking
PB PB is offline

Dave
The other folks have some good points. What would do regardless of your
shop space, put everything on wheels !!! Every item in my shop is on
wheels. This way you can quickly reconfigure the available space quickly. I
would also place as big of a landing just outside the shed door as you can.
In better weather it will come in handy. For a quick and easy bench checkout
the black and decker workmate on thier web site. The unit on the web site is
not for sale in stores. I have had mine for over 15 years. It is very close
to the model on the web site. And it folds up and stores easily. Last but
not least is a trick I see on these home shows. Buy one of those 10 x10
pop-up tents with no center support needed. Instant work area Good Luck
Paul

"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Dave,

You should consider using an external rated cord and plug it into a GFCI
circuit. Ditto on the other advice.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Building my first woodworking space, need help ( Question )

wrote the following:

Hello:

I've always been interested in woodworking since 7th grade when I took
shop, but I've never had the time, money or space to get into the
hobby. But now that I'm in my mid 30's, own a house and some land, and
have some disposable income that She lets me spend I am finally going
to get started.

Congrats, Dave. Welcome to the club. We're way weird here, but
you'll get used to that.

I live in the burbs, on a 110 X 60 plot, in a house with no garage or
basement. The old shed I had was tiny, barely enough to get the lawn
mower inside, but this weekend I am getting a brand new 12 X 12 shed
from Shedsusa.com. I opted for the Gambrel roof for extra storage, and
the heavy duty flooring. Style is classic, with the 40 inch doors in
the front.

That'll be nice. Did you have windows put in, or will you do that?
Natural light beats electric, and fluorescent beats incandescent.
And you'll need the extra ventilation for dust control, exhausting
wood finish solvents, and temperature mitigation.

So, my question to you wise people is this: How much work can I get in
this shed? Will I have enough room to do any work?

I'd say about 12x12' worth, wouldn't you? Less occupied space for
machinery and you, of course.

Also, should I wire the inside with electrical cable? I was imagining
putting in a light switch and some outlets around the shed, an dmaybe
putting in an outlet into the work bench I am going to build. I can't
legally run a circuit to the shed,

If you can't legally run a circuit to the shed, you can't legally
prewire the shed. But you could dig a trench and lay 2" pipe and fish
your extension cord through it. Do it to code and you can also pull
your real wiring through it when you upgrade.

so the best i would be able to do
is drag a 12/3 extension cord to the shed and plug it into a jack to
power the shed.

That can works. I'm a handyman and live on a single 12/3 cord most
days. It'll pretty much limit you to one machine at a time, but
that's the norm, anyway.

Has anyone else done something like this before that has any
experiences they want to share?

Some day VERY soon, you'll want to buy a book on electrical work, do
most of the work yourself, then pay an electrician to get a permit and
hook it up for you.

Some books to peruse: Landis' _The Workbench Book_, _Setting Up Shop:
The Practical Guide to Designing and Building Your Dream Shop_ by
Sandor Nagyszalanczy, _Smart Workshop Solutions_ by Paul Anthony.

_Making and Modifying Machines_ by Fine Woodworking Editors
I have an extra copy of this if anyone is looking for one.
$15 delivered. If you're low on discretionary funding after having a
shop built, etc., building your own machine is an option.

If you are in the situation like the original poster, where the
regulations prohibit a per permanently wire shed, could you get around
the regulation with a pedestal like in an RV park. The pedestal
installation would meet all code to provide the amps needed to operate
your power equipment. ie an outlet on a yard light.

When you were working you could run a high quality extension cord from
the pedestal to the shed to supple the power to run your equipment.

It may be legal, and satisfy the building inspector and your power needs.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 15, 10:54�am, Dave wrote:
[...]

Go at least 20 X 20. RV power pedestal is good. Just below where it
comes above ground install a tee and conduit toward the shop. So after
the inital time just run some wires in the shop through the tee. A
switched circuit from the house to illuminate the RV pedestal would
also be good. Run a dummy circuit/cord into the shop so it looks like
you are on an extension cord.

Bob AZ
Posted to rec.woodworking

Get a solar operated shed floodlight so you can drag your cords and hook-up
in the dark if needed. The real power would have to be on an extension,
semi-permanently mounted, with lots of copper...10/2 extension cord??

"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave wrote in news:ac6c5af7-6d66-41dd-b08c-
:

[...]

I've got a 12'x12' space that I use for a model shop. I'd hate to try to
do any woodworking in that space, there's just not enough space. My
woodworking projects involve lengths between 3' and 5', which require a
minimum of 6' to 10' of space to run through any tool. This doesn't
include any space the tool or you need to perform the operation.

When you get to electrical in your outbuilding, put your outlets at both
standard height and 54". This way, you'll have outlets for tools that
stay plugged in and be able to plug tools in with plywood stacked against
the wall.

Think vertically. You'll want plenty of shelves and overhead storage for
the smaller tools, and mobile bases for the large tools. I have a couple
bins for tool storage that seem to work well. The trick is making sure
the bin isn't too large for the tool, otherwise other junk tends to
accumulate.

You can get aluminum sawhorses that fold up into a space about 6"x6"x32"
and can be stored on end. They're light enough to store overhead or even
hang on the doors. Menards has them for around $12. (I stored quite a
few under the wings on my table saw.)

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

Update:

This will get you to a canopy example.

http://tinyurl.com/2dl6qfy

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote Update:

This will get you to a canopy example.

http://tinyurl.com/2dl6qfy

The best prices I have found on the connectors for the 1" EMT counduit is at

http://www.tarps.com/chrome2.htm

I have used them several times to set up canopies for various purposes. If
you are going to leave them up in any kind of weather though, you need to
bolt them to some planks or put the footing in some kind of concrete in a
pail or something.

I have done both. I buy the connectors from them, get the EMT tubing and
tarps locally.

More general info on canopies are on their homepage.

http://www.tarps.com/

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/16/2010 12:46 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
[...]

Not seeing the original post, so responding here.

The OP doesn't say what part of the world he's in. If it's an area
where sunny days are common and one can work outside most of the year,
and the character of the area is such that you can turn your back on
your tools for five minutes without them being stolen, then putting the
shed next to a paved area and using it for storage rather than for work
area could be viable. When it's time to work, roll the tools and bench
out onto the pavement, when you're done roll them back.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 10:54:08 -0700, Dave wrote:

Has anyone else done something like this before that has any experiences
they want to share?

My little shop is 12x14, but it does have wiring installed. It's
difficult to build large pieces in such a small space, but I've done it
by sectionalizing the pieces. The most important thing is to have
everything on wheels and use flip top stands to share one space with two
tools.

I've also got a "tower" with 4 tools on shelves that I can take out and
set on a rolling cabinet. There's an empty "shelf" that sits on the
cabinet when there's no tool on it so I can use it as an extra work space.

You may spend a lot of time moving stuff around, but you can definitely
do some useful work in that space.

Forget about a big table saw. Get one of the better benchtops, or even
better, an old old contractor saw. I've got a '48 Delta that, with a
good blade, is at least as accurate as anything made today, but it has a
very small table.

Or you can go the Shopsmith route, but I tried that and it was just too
much tool setup for me. It's also pretty hard to duplicate a prior setup
exactly after you've reconfigured the machine.

Good luck.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Forget about a big table saw. *Get one of the better benchtops, or even
better, an old old contractor saw. *I've got a '48 Delta that, with a
good blade, is at least as accurate as anything made today, but it has a
very small table.

Very good point. In fact I would maybe suggest one of the job-site
contractor saws that folds up like a Ridgid or Ryobi, etc.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_89913-46069-PCB220TS_4294857520_4294937087?productId=3163783&N s=p_product_price|1&pl=1&currentURL=/pl_Table%2BSaws%2B_4294857520_4294937087_?Ns=p_pro duct_price|1

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 17:27:54 -0700, Zz Yzx wrote:

On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 10:54:08 -0700 (PDT), Dave
wrote:

Hello:
this weekend I am getting a brand new 12 X 12 shed

Has anyone else done something like this before that has any
experiences they want to share?

I've been working in a 12' X 18' garage for 20+ years. I've learned:

1. PLAN! Layout bench, stationary tools, etc., but first, plan ahead
on storage for handtools, fasteners, finishes and finishing tools,
&tc. first. Also, plan elictrical outlets and lighting.

Good idea, if you know what you're going to be doing. Everything on wheels is
my plan. ;-)

2. Set up table saw facing the door so you can rip longer boards than
otherwise.

How does that help, vs. facing away from the door?

3. I'm constantly moving had tools and workpieces from the table saw
to the bench and back. Plan ahead on storage, and make storage units
your first projects.

Yes, and I use them for practicing finishing techniques. So what if they're
pretty.

4. A good work bench is a priority and will make the hobby more fun.
Build storage into it. And attach a good power strip.

5. Dust collection is good.

One of my first priorities. My shop will be on the second floor. Tracking
sawdust into the carpeted upstairs bedrooms will not be allowed.

6. You can't build a 19'+ wherry in a shop 18' long.

I wouldn't dream of building a 19'+ wherry. ;-)

7. Don't drop a quart of shellac on the floor.

I like a guy who plans ahead. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

2. Set up table saw facing the door so you can rip longer boards than
otherwise.

How does that help, vs. facing away from the door?

vs. facing perpendicular to the door.

-Zz
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Zz Yzx" wrote in message
2. Set up table saw facing the door so you can rip longer boards than
otherwise.

How does that help, vs. facing away from the door?

vs. facing perpendicular to the door.

-Zz

You can push that 10' board through the door as it comes off the saw.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 16 June, 01:27, Zz Yzx wrote:

6. You can't build a 19'+ wherry in a shop 18' long.

Hey, you got a typo the

6. You can't build a 18'+ wherry in a shop 19' long.

Fixed it for you.

I've not seen anyone (who wasn't working in a boatyard) who ever built
a boat that was small enough to fit in their working space. It seems
obligatory that it will be either too long to fit in, or too tall. If
you goof and make it just a bit too short, you can compensate by
requiring a mast that's too tall to lay down instead. I once worked
in a workshop, some sort of Nissen hut, that had been carefully
extended at one end with a little bay window. All because of a
bowsprit issue, a few years earlier.

Then your home shipyard must be behind at least one fence that won't
let the boat past, ideally with a tight corner between two buildings
that it won't fit thorugh either. One of my neighbours built a fence
to screen his boat, using solid concrete posts and cleverly a couple
of light wooden posts in the middle that could be easily removed when
the time came. He planted some shrubs to make it look nice too - which
by the time the much-delayed boat was ready, had grown into mighty
redwoods with more timber in them than the hull.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 15 June, 18:54, Dave wrote:

So, my question to you wise people is this: How much work can I get in
this shed? Will I have enough room to do any work?

Not enough, not enough, c'est la vie.

Get hold of the Taunton Press "Workshop Book" (also their "Workbench
Book")

Cabinet saw and workbench, the rest needs to fit round those.

If you've bought a ready-made building, consider ripping out the main
window over your hand workbench and doubling its size. Artificial
light is worth making an effort to get more of.

Go easy on wood storage. You can have other people do this for you, so
ask if this is the best value use you're getting out of your expensive
building. Wouldn't you rather have a bandsaw there? Don't be afraid to
rent cheap off-site for rough log storage.

Roof storage needs to be planned for and installed before other stuff
gets in the way. It's also a good place to hide cyclone fans or
dehumidifiers, if you need such.

A shed full of junk stops being a workshop. Less is more. Be
ruthless.

Also, should I wire the inside with electrical cable?

Yes. Spend the necessary money to get a fixed power supply out there
too. It is far easier and quicker to work with lights that just come
on when you hit the switch. It's also easier to install this now while
it's empty and easy to work around.

Has anyone else done something like this before that has any
experiences they want to share?

Think of your climate, your daylight, and look at other's local
experience. My "workshop time" is largely dark winter evenings - day
job, outdoors in the summer evenings. So I need a little heat, lots of
artificial light, and lots of rainproofing. One of my biggest jobs at
present (huge old shed (1,000sq ft), but needing refurb) is to get
some decent insulation in there.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 17, 6:19*am, Andy Dingley wrote:
On 16 June, 01:27, Zz Yzx wrote:

[...]

How did Gibbs get the boat out of his basement?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Wow, thanks everyone for the great replies.

To answer some questions:

I live on Long Island, NY, so a good part of the year the shed will be
too damn cold or dark to do anything. I can make dust march -
november, after that I'll just pine.

Planning is an absolute must. Not only am I going to be trying to
sqeeze a work bench, tools and the rest in the shed, I'm going to have
to put all my yard tools/mowers/other junk in there. She is already
planning moving a bunch of stuff from the house to the shed too.
*sigh*

I have two windows in the front of the shed for some light, and I'll
have the doors open when I'm working.

My first projects will be making a good bench and a good wooden
toolbox. Anyone have any good plans for a bench? I do wonder tho if
having a workbench on wheels i a good idea. Don't want it moving when
I am trying to use the table saw. (Table saws scare the f***k out of
me).

I'll take pictures and paste the links here as I get going.

Thanks!
Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave wrote in news:02fb0734-0491-431d-9281-
:

Wow, thanks everyone for the great replies.

To answer some questions:

I live on Long Island, NY, so a good part of the year the shed will be
too damn cold or dark to do anything. I can make dust march -
november, after that I'll just pine.

Hand tools don't take much space to store or to use. Ever watch Roy
Underhill on the Woodwright's shop?

Planning is an absolute must. Not only am I going to be trying to
sqeeze a work bench, tools and the rest in the shed, I'm going to have
to put all my yard tools/mowers/other junk in there. She is already
planning moving a bunch of stuff from the house to the shed too.
*sigh*

Ah, so you won't have a shop, but merely a storage area. Don't worry,
you can work with it. Claim a space by the doors for your tools and
defend it. Others will clutter it up, it happens to me all the time.

I have two windows in the front of the shed for some light, and I'll
have the doors open when I'm working.

My first projects will be making a good bench and a good wooden
toolbox. Anyone have any good plans for a bench? I do wonder tho if
having a workbench on wheels i a good idea. Don't want it moving when
I am trying to use the table saw. (Table saws scare the f***k out of
me).

You could take a look at the Google Sketchup gallery. They've got tons
of plans for things like that there. [Btw: If anyone's submitted
anything to the 3D gallery, thanks! It really made workshop planning in
Sketchup easy.]

I've not quite gotten around to designing my bench, but one of the things
I intend to do is have several shallow drawers for screwdriver/chisel
storage and several deeper drawers for larger items.

A good table saw is too heavy to place on a bench when you want to use
it. There's one Ridgid makes that folds up into a rather convienent
size, has tool storage on the side, and can be rolled out when you want
to use it. I've never used it, but it gets recommended every once in a
while so it's probably a good tool.

I'll take pictures and paste the links here as I get going.

Thanks!
Dave

Hope this helps,

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

I've always been interested in woodworking since 7th grade when I took
shop, but I've never had the time, money or space to get into the
hobby. But now that I'm in my mid 30's, own a house and some land, and
have some disposable income that She lets me spend I am finally going
to get started.

Welcome to the club.

I live in the burbs, on a 110 X 60 plot, in a house with no garage or
basement. The old shed I had was tiny, barely enough to get the lawn
mower inside, but this weekend I am getting a brand new 12 X 12 shed
from Shedsusa.com. I opted for the Gambrel roof for extra storage, and
the heavy duty flooring. Style is classic, with the 40 inch doors in
the front.

I am in a similar situation.

So, my question to you wise people is this: How much work can I get in
this shed? Will I have enough room to do any work?

Quite a lot. Yes.

Also, should I wire the inside with electrical cable? I was imagining
putting in a light switch and some outlets around the shed, an dmaybe
putting in an outlet into the work bench I am going to build. I can't
legally run a circuit to the shed, so the best i would be able to do
is drag a 12/3 extension cord to the shed and plug it into a jack to
power the shed.

With the assistance of my father-in-law, we ran a line under the house
from the main panel to the shed. We put it all on a new circuit. It's
been working fine for years with only an occasional trip when bad
weather rolls in, like the storms we had in '08 where over a million
here were without power.

Has anyone else done something like this before that has any
experiences they want to share? Thanks, Dave.

I live in a mobile home community. Ergo I have very limited space to
have a real woodshop. I have mainly been using my utility room to do
turning, with some creative enhancements to protect everything. Then I
added a scrollsaw, and now a drill press and bandsaw, etc. Obviously I
can't keep it all in-house, so some is in a 12x16 barn style shed.

It houses garden tools, misc house items and the woodworking tools.
This year it's going to get an upgrade. More cabinets and a bigger
work surface. Either later this year or next year, the plan is to
extend it another 7-8 feet, splitting it into two parts, one for a
woodshop and one for everything else.

So far it has worked for me for the past five years. From my point of
view, you'll get a lot into your 12x12 if you are only going to use it
for a shop. I unfortunately cannot dedicate it entirely to that but
the addition should give me a 12x8 shop that should nicely handle all
my current requirements, and a few still to come.

`Casper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 06:25:05 -0700, Dave wrote:

My first projects will be making a good bench and a good wooden toolbox.
Anyone have any good plans for a bench? I do wonder tho if having a
workbench on wheels i a good idea. Don't want it moving when I am trying
to use the table saw. (Table saws scare the f***k out of me).

Mine is on wheels, but I jack it up onto a couple of 4x4 blocks at each
end. With storage underneath it does *not* move, even with hand planing.
This method makes it a little hard to move, but I find it's the one thing
in the shop that seldom moves.

Oh yes, if the bottom is solid for storage, put a piece of cardboard on
the floor under the bench. Pull out the cardboard to retrieve dropped
items. DAMHIKT :-).

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Blanchard wrote in
:

*snip*

Oh yes, if the bottom is solid for storage, put a piece of cardboard
on the floor under the bench. Pull out the cardboard to retrieve
dropped items. DAMHIKT :-).

That's a great idea. Plus, you can pull the cardboard out when finishing
something and use it to protect your floor.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 17, 9:25*am, Dave wrote:
Planning is an absolute must. Not only am I going to be trying to
sqeeze a work bench, tools and the rest in the shed, I'm going to have
to put all my yard tools/mowers/other junk in there. She is already
planning moving a bunch of stuff from the house to the shed too.
*sigh*

Your first task is planning the layout (work areas) within your
limited space. The shop-planning books already mentioned are of
incredible benefit to you. Building your work areas to best suit the
work-flow of the sorts of projects to which you aspire, using the
skills you have and wish to gain, will reap maximum enjoyment of what
is likely going to wind up being a very small amount of dedicated
space.
Do this as soon as possible, lay claim to the area(s) that will remain
dedicated to woodworking, and defend your turf tenaciously.

Speaking of aspirations. You've not indicated your interests, but
there are a number of skills that can be mastered in a small work
area. Then, in the future, when there's a larger house/property with
a larger shop, and you have the space to construct large pieces,
you'll also have the skills to build fine furniture.
I believe you could easily develop, within the confines you've
described, significant talent at joinery, bending, laminating,
veneering, inlay, and carving; .

Your second task, in my opinion, is to determine the ideal height of
your work-surfaces. The previously recommended workbench books offer
a variety of formulas for this extremely important ergonomic
decision. The formula I used in my own shop was the height of my
palms at attention (shoulders back, chest out, arms at side) with
wrists bent upward so the hands are parallel with the floor.
Everything I can control (workbench, table-saw, chop-saw, etc.) is at
that height. That makes them all comfortable for me to use for
extended periods and eases transferring things from one work area to
the next.

If your shed is like others I've seen, the floor-joists are atop a
couple runners (4x4 of 6x6) that sit directly on the ground. Down
here on the big sandbar (FL) we're required to lash them to ground-
screws. In any case, your floor will likely be well above ground
level.
If that is the case, I believe you'll be well served by a large-as-you-
can-manage-deck, at floor height, immediately outside your doors.
That will make rolling tools out for use much more convenient. That
will also work very well with the awning others have recommended.

I am a huge fan of having permanent outlets. Do yourself a favor and
trench in some gray polybutylene conduit with adequate wire to deliver
at least 30amps to your shed. That way you can run a real power-hog
with the lights on. Lights are like clamps. It is not possible to
have too many. Once the wiring is run, any electrician will be able
to hook you up. Don't know about NY, but most places I've been, owner-
installed electrical does not have to be inspected because you can't
sue yourself.

My first projects will be making a good bench and a good wooden
toolbox. Anyone have any good plans for a bench? *I do wonder tho if
having a workbench on wheels i a good idea. Don't want it moving when
I am trying to use the table saw. (Table saws scare the f***k out of
me).

There are as many definitions of "good" workbench as there are designs
and plans. Portability is not a friend of workbenches for hand work.
I believe you'll be happier in your shed with a smallish bench that
gains some stability from being affixed to a side-wall (preferably
near the door).
Unless you are planning on traveling elsewhere to do woodworking, I
don't believe you'll get as much use from a toolbox as you would
permanent storage (cabinets & cupboards). Everything you build for
your shop, be it fixed or wheeled, will have room below the working
surface that can be leveraged as storage.

My opinion, and $4, will get you a coffee some places. :-)

Best of luck with your endeavors.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 14:24:29 -0700, PyroHog wrote:

I believe you could easily develop, within
the confines you've described, significant talent at joinery, bending,
laminating, veneering, inlay, and carving; .

You forgot turning :-).