Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Dingley Andy Dingley is offline

Default Building my first woodworking space, need help

On 15 June, 18:54, Dave wrote:

So, my question to you wise people is this: How much work can I get in
this shed? Will I have enough room to do any work?

Not enough, not enough, c'est la vie.

Get hold of the Taunton Press "Workshop Book" (also their "Workbench
Book")

Cabinet saw and workbench, the rest needs to fit round those.

If you've bought a ready-made building, consider ripping out the main
window over your hand workbench and doubling its size. Artificial
light is worth making an effort to get more of.

Go easy on wood storage. You can have other people do this for you, so
ask if this is the best value use you're getting out of your expensive
building. Wouldn't you rather have a bandsaw there? Don't be afraid to
rent cheap off-site for rough log storage.

Roof storage needs to be planned for and installed before other stuff
gets in the way. It's also a good place to hide cyclone fans or
dehumidifiers, if you need such.

A shed full of junk stops being a workshop. Less is more. Be
ruthless.

Also, should I wire the inside with electrical cable?

Yes. Spend the necessary money to get a fixed power supply out there
too. It is far easier and quicker to work with lights that just come
on when you hit the switch. It's also easier to install this now while
it's empty and easy to work around.

Has anyone else done something like this before that has any
experiences they want to share?

Think of your climate, your daylight, and look at other's local
experience. My "workshop time" is largely dark winter evenings - day
job, outdoors in the summer evenings. So I need a little heat, lots of
artificial light, and lots of rainproofing. One of my biggest jobs at
present (huge old shed (1,000sq ft), but needing refurb) is to get
some decent insulation in there.