Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Building my first woodworking space, need help

On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 10:54:08 -0700, Dave wrote:

Has anyone else done something like this before that has any experiences
they want to share?

My little shop is 12x14, but it does have wiring installed. It's
difficult to build large pieces in such a small space, but I've done it
by sectionalizing the pieces. The most important thing is to have
everything on wheels and use flip top stands to share one space with two
tools.

I've also got a "tower" with 4 tools on shelves that I can take out and
set on a rolling cabinet. There's an empty "shelf" that sits on the
cabinet when there's no tool on it so I can use it as an extra work space.

You may spend a lot of time moving stuff around, but you can definitely
do some useful work in that space.

Forget about a big table saw. Get one of the better benchtops, or even
better, an old old contractor saw. I've got a '48 Delta that, with a
good blade, is at least as accurate as anything made today, but it has a
very small table.

Or you can go the Shopsmith route, but I tried that and it was just too
much tool setup for me. It's also pretty hard to duplicate a prior setup
exactly after you've reconfigured the machine.

Good luck.