Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Building my first woodworking space, need help

Dave wrote in news:ac6c5af7-6d66-41dd-b08c-
:

Hello:

I've always been interested in woodworking since 7th grade when I took
shop, but I've never had the time, money or space to get into the
hobby. But now that I'm in my mid 30's, own a house and some land, and
have some disposable income that She lets me spend I am finally going
to get started.

I live in the burbs, on a 110 X 60 plot, in a house with no garage or
basement. The old shed I had was tiny, barely enough to get the lawn
mower inside, but this weekend I am getting a brand new 12 X 12 shed
from Shedsusa.com. I opted for the Gambrel roof for extra storage, and
the heavy duty flooring. Style is classic, with the 40 inch doors in
the front.

So, my question to you wise people is this: How much work can I get in
this shed? Will I have enough room to do any work?

Also, should I wire the inside with electrical cable? I was imagining
putting in a light switch and some outlets around the shed, an dmaybe
putting in an outlet into the work bench I am going to build. I can't
legally run a circuit to the shed, so the best i would be able to do
is drag a 12/3 extension cord to the shed and plug it into a jack to
power the shed.

Has anyone else done something like this before that has any
experiences they want to share?

Thanks,
Dave

I've got a 12'x12' space that I use for a model shop. I'd hate to try to
do any woodworking in that space, there's just not enough space. My
woodworking projects involve lengths between 3' and 5', which require a
minimum of 6' to 10' of space to run through any tool. This doesn't
include any space the tool or you need to perform the operation.

When you get to electrical in your outbuilding, put your outlets at both
standard height and 54". This way, you'll have outlets for tools that
stay plugged in and be able to plug tools in with plywood stacked against
the wall.

Think vertically. You'll want plenty of shelves and overhead storage for
the smaller tools, and mobile bases for the large tools. I have a couple
bins for tool storage that seem to work well. The trick is making sure
the bin isn't too large for the tool, otherwise other junk tends to
accumulate.

You can get aluminum sawhorses that fold up into a space about 6"x6"x32"
and can be stored on end. They're light enough to store overhead or even
hang on the doors. Menards has them for around $12. (I stored quite a
few under the wings on my table saw.)

Puckdropper