Posted to rec.woodworking
PyroHog PyroHog is offline

Default Building my first woodworking space, need help

On Jun 17, 9:25*am, Dave wrote:
Planning is an absolute must. Not only am I going to be trying to
sqeeze a work bench, tools and the rest in the shed, I'm going to have
to put all my yard tools/mowers/other junk in there. She is already
planning moving a bunch of stuff from the house to the shed too.
*sigh*

Your first task is planning the layout (work areas) within your
limited space. The shop-planning books already mentioned are of
incredible benefit to you. Building your work areas to best suit the
work-flow of the sorts of projects to which you aspire, using the
skills you have and wish to gain, will reap maximum enjoyment of what
is likely going to wind up being a very small amount of dedicated
space.
Do this as soon as possible, lay claim to the area(s) that will remain
dedicated to woodworking, and defend your turf tenaciously.

Speaking of aspirations. You've not indicated your interests, but
there are a number of skills that can be mastered in a small work
area. Then, in the future, when there's a larger house/property with
a larger shop, and you have the space to construct large pieces,
you'll also have the skills to build fine furniture.
I believe you could easily develop, within the confines you've
described, significant talent at joinery, bending, laminating,
veneering, inlay, and carving; .

Your second task, in my opinion, is to determine the ideal height of
your work-surfaces. The previously recommended workbench books offer
a variety of formulas for this extremely important ergonomic
decision. The formula I used in my own shop was the height of my
palms at attention (shoulders back, chest out, arms at side) with
wrists bent upward so the hands are parallel with the floor.
Everything I can control (workbench, table-saw, chop-saw, etc.) is at
that height. That makes them all comfortable for me to use for
extended periods and eases transferring things from one work area to
the next.

If your shed is like others I've seen, the floor-joists are atop a
couple runners (4x4 of 6x6) that sit directly on the ground. Down
here on the big sandbar (FL) we're required to lash them to ground-
screws. In any case, your floor will likely be well above ground
level.
If that is the case, I believe you'll be well served by a large-as-you-
can-manage-deck, at floor height, immediately outside your doors.
That will make rolling tools out for use much more convenient. That
will also work very well with the awning others have recommended.

I am a huge fan of having permanent outlets. Do yourself a favor and
trench in some gray polybutylene conduit with adequate wire to deliver
at least 30amps to your shed. That way you can run a real power-hog
with the lights on. Lights are like clamps. It is not possible to
have too many. Once the wiring is run, any electrician will be able
to hook you up. Don't know about NY, but most places I've been, owner-
installed electrical does not have to be inspected because you can't
sue yourself.

My first projects will be making a good bench and a good wooden
toolbox. Anyone have any good plans for a bench? *I do wonder tho if
having a workbench on wheels i a good idea. Don't want it moving when
I am trying to use the table saw. (Table saws scare the f***k out of
me).

There are as many definitions of "good" workbench as there are designs
and plans. Portability is not a friend of workbenches for hand work.
I believe you'll be happier in your shed with a smallish bench that
gains some stability from being affixed to a side-wall (preferably
near the door).
Unless you are planning on traveling elsewhere to do woodworking, I
don't believe you'll get as much use from a toolbox as you would
permanent storage (cabinets & cupboards). Everything you build for
your shop, be it fixed or wheeled, will have room below the working
surface that can be leveraged as storage.

My opinion, and $4, will get you a coffee some places. :-)

Best of luck with your endeavors.